PDA

View Full Version : What do I do now?

2Gunns
10-23-2010, 09:03 AM
OK..I have managed to do a few improvements on my own (3rd brake light) and have collected everything I wanted to add under the skin (battary tender, Gorilla Alarm, 12v outlet) but......

and this may sound stupid, but how do you get to the battary? How do you remove the side tuperware? Is there a special tool?

gorcutt
10-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Try reading your owners manual, I believe it tells you how to do it.

stevedfive
10-23-2010, 11:37 AM
I too would like to know where to connect the Battery Tender cable.

NancysToy
10-23-2010, 12:07 PM
I too would like to know where to connect the Battery Tender cable.
If you mean how to permanently attach the charging pigtail, you need to go directly to the battery terminals, not the jumper connections you see under the seat. Some panels need to come off to do this. There are instructions for that in your Owners Guide.

The Battery Tender can be connected to the jumper terminals with the alligator clips, or if you have a heated gear pigtail, you can get an adapter from Powerlet Products to plug the charger in to that. I charge my RTS through the cigarette outlet in the rear trunk, using a different adapter (also available from Powerlet). On Nancy's RS, I use a Powerlet on the dash, that is powered all the time...the same Powerlet (or Optimate)adapter, works with that and the cigarette outlet.

Eraser
10-23-2010, 12:08 PM
You can clip in under the seat or put a pig-tail on to the battery,and run it up through the panel,for something more permanent.

2Gunns
10-23-2010, 01:07 PM
I guess I should have worded the question differantly.... I understand how to remove the side panels, but the bolt heads are "funky", They have a raised center, Not standard allen or anything in the tool kit. That's what I mean by special tool.

dave01
10-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Do not remove the ones with the raised centers. They hold pins that push into gromets. There are 4 like that, 2 on each side

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

NancysToy
10-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Do not remove the ones with the raised centers. They hold pins that push into gromets. There are 4 like that, 2 on each side

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
:agree:

spyder_RT
10-24-2010, 08:00 AM
I have the RTS and it came with the plug for my tender under the seat did they leave it off the RT if they did that's not right what would the cost be to put it on all of the bikes. What add a dollar to the price.

dadof4
10-25-2010, 10:15 PM
I have the RTS and it came with the plug for my tender under the seat did they leave it off the RT if they did that's not right what would the cost be to put it on all of the bikes. What add a dollar to the price.

A have an RTS also, but do not see a plug under the seat. A picture would help.

spyder_RT
10-25-2010, 10:41 PM
A have an RTS also, but do not see a plug under the seat. A picture would help.
It's the plug by the plus sign

clueless
10-26-2010, 01:11 AM
thanks for the pics.. my dealer didnt install one but I have one that came with my Yussa charger... right now just clipping on the terminals but winter project :doorag: to install perm pigtail.

NancysToy
10-26-2010, 06:48 AM
Not a standard feature. Must have been added by the dealer.

spyder_RT
10-26-2010, 07:47 AM
That's nice of my dealer if they did add it. Here in Arizona we ride year round so we don't really need it or not as much as the people in snow country. I don't be leave my dealer would do that go above and be on like that.

2manycars
10-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Why couldn't they make it easy to access the battery? My dealer installed plug, however I somehow blew the fuse. Because of how it was added, it took me forever to get to the fuse to replace it.

Something like the battery should not be such a major problem to access. I thought I could simply remove four bolts to remove the cover over the battery. However there seems to be many other pieces that must come off to access it.

It is almost like they want to force everyone to go to their dealer to have any minor work done since it is so inconvenient to get to anything.

On the other hand, I still love my RT!

NancysToy
10-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Why couldn't they make it easy to access the battery? My dealer installed plug, however I somehow blew the fuse. Because of how it was added, it took me forever to get to the fuse to replace it.

Something like the battery should not be such a major problem to access. I thought I could simply remove four bolts to remove the cover over the battery. However there seems to be many other pieces that must come off to access it.

It is almost like they want to force everyone to go to their dealer to have any minor work done since it is so inconvenient to get to anything.

On the other hand, I still love my RT!
Wrestle your way into the innards of a Goldwing or BMW LT sometime. All fully faired touring bikes are the same. You can have naked, cold, and easy...or covered, warm, and difficult.

Sarge707
10-27-2010, 04:33 PM

On the other hand, I still love my RT!:agree:
BRP has been making it harder to work on everything they make since Service (Not Sales) is what pays the bills!
First thing I did was take ALL the tuperware off and look everything over!
The more you learn to do yourself the more $$$ you save and your 100% positive it was done.:hun:

dadof4
10-27-2010, 05:09 PM
It's the plug by the plus sign

Thanks. Mine doesn't have one unless it's hiding under the plastic.