PDA

View Full Version : Not a Zumo 665 fan...

themobb
10-19-2010, 06:06 PM
My wife had high expectations for the Zumo 665 on her new Can-Am Spyder. She liked the idea of a waterproof XM capable unit. Unfortunately, in practice, the 665 falls way short.
I have experienced nothing but frustration trying to get the unit to work with the Gxm-40 antenna. The Zumo constantly says "Check XM antenna" even though it is connected. I am not a GPS "Newbie". I have owned Garmin GPS's for probably close to 15 years starting with an old GPS III; which still works fine, by the way...
This unit does not work the way it should and waiting on hold for Garmin in not fun. So far, they have replaced the motorcycle mount to no effect. It still has the same antenna error.
The GPS on my bike now is a Garmin GPSMAP 478 with a GXM-30 antenna. I have had this setup for at least two years now and never had a hiccup.
Save yourself a bunch of aggravation and don't get the Zumo 665 and expect the XM to work. Buy the 660 if you must, and listen to the radio...

Sorry for the rant, but I just spent two hours replacing the m'c mount only to have the same problem occur... :gaah:

Lance

canam9
10-19-2010, 07:02 PM
I was just today thinking about getting the 665.:ani29:

docdoru
10-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Defected unit? :dontknow: My experience with Garmin is A+ for both 450 and 550. :popcorn:

bone crusher
10-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Yeah...Garmin is number one in customer service...please call them...you'll get someone in the U.S.A. who will help you with your problem...the zumos are not compatible with all aftermarket products, so that could be an issue...however, if it will work, they will help you.

Give them a shot, it's well worth it...you spent too much money on the 665 to not try as hard as you can....

themobb
10-19-2010, 08:28 PM
I know they'll help. I've had GPS III, V, 276, 478 and Rino's.

It's just that I don't care for them using me as a beta tester. I had the m/c mount replaced because the xm works fine with the car mount.

I starting to think it's firmware/software related on the Zumo itself. I guess I'll see if they'll replace that next...

Lance

Jester
10-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Lance,
I will be very interested in how your situation works out. I, too, use the 478 marine/auto unit with the Garmin 30 XM receiver. Works great on a simple homemade mount.I think you can see it if you click my avatar. Had planned to move to the 665 soon. Sounds like I need too wait.

Dochands
10-20-2010, 05:07 AM
The XM is spotty no matter how abs
where you place the antenna.

Also Garmin tech support does nit know their own products. I spoke to two different tech support people about keeping the same installed wiring harness from a 660. Also have three confirming emails. Well guess what? Turns out you need to reinstall the harness for the 665 to get XM.

Spanky
10-20-2010, 11:48 AM
The Zumo 550 XM has no problems for me.

I am interested in the outcome, I was going to get one for my wife.

themobb
10-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Well, a little trouble shooting today instead of calling Garmin...

When I use the Zumo's power switch to turn it on (bike off), all is well. XM comes on with no problems. When I then turn on the bike, it continues to work.

When the Zumo is off and I turn on the bike key to fire it up (wired to a switched circuit), I get the dreaded "Check XM antenna" alert...

Things that make you go "Hmmmm". This is going to be at least a two beer problem...

Lance

Dochands
10-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Where did you place the antenna? If the bike is interfering it might be placement.

docdoru
10-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Where did you place the antenna? If the bike is interfering it might be placement.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC01219.jpg?t=1287668065

SpyderFun
10-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Well, a little trouble shooting today instead of calling Garmin...

When I use the Zumo's power switch to turn it on (bike off), all is well. XM comes on with no problems. When I then turn on the bike, it continues to work.

When the Zumo is off and I turn on the bike key to fire it up (wired to a switched circuit), I get the dreaded "Check XM antenna" alert...

Things that make you go "Hmmmm". This is going to be at least a two beer problem...

Lance

TROUBLE SHOOTING QUESTIONS:

Q1: What model Spyder do you have & did you get the XM option with it???
("Yes" = antenna conflict most likely between 2 XM receivers even if bike's XM is not activated but same antenna is plugged into it)

Q2: If "Yes" to above, are you using the same antenna with an antenna splitter or 2-separate antennas?
(If using a signal splitter, use a dedicated antenna for each XM radio to prevent antenna conflict)

Q3: Does the 665 get XM all the time whether or not it is in a cradle that uses an antenna input?
(This would allow the GPS to ALWAYS get XM if it had its own built-in XM antenna - ie you get XM in a vehicle that has no external XM antenna)

The GPS should always select the external antenna "option" when available (provided it has an internal XM antenna).
If using it in a certain configuration/power-up and you get reception with the external antenna, then antenna location is not an issue because it does work and reception is established.

I suspect you have an "Antenna Conflict" going on somewhere whether it is a hardware or firmware (possibly both) issue requires specific troubleshooting in isolating it. If the unit has no internal XM antenna then it is having a problem "recognizing" or "locating" the external antenna in a specific configuration/power-up.