PDA

View Full Version : You are what you ride

freebob
10-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Below is part of a email I received this AM, My reply, And his reply back to me.

Earlier that morning we did a demo ride on Can Am Spyders. THEY ARE NOT MOTORCYCLES! They are ATVs. Before the ride you even have to legally acknowledge that they are not motorcycles. They were fun, and are pretty sophisticated, but they are technically not motorcycles.

Well Buddy, I beg to differ on your interpretation of the CAN AM SPYDER not being a motorcycle, It is as much a motorcycle as any other Trike on the market it is just a reversed version of such. ATV's are All Terrain Vehicles and are off road only classified, Better do your homework before you make such bias statements. Your fellow Roadrunner....Freebob.

Gee, do I detect a little animosity here? Tough ****. I signed a document that clearly made me acknowledge that what I was about to ride was NOT a motorcycle. It sure was, in my opinion, not. Who cares, anyhow? As one of my shirts says: "You are what you ride."
alpincus@aol.com

Freebob....:doorag:

canam9
10-18-2010, 03:00 PM
:roflblack::roflblack: Go Bob.:ani29:

rogerb
10-18-2010, 03:01 PM
It would be interesting to now who the dealer is that made such a false statement. He can't be a Spyder dealer. That would be a shop to stay miles away from.:yikes:

dancogan
10-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Maybe it was a test ride in one of those states that doesn't require any special endorsement for riding a trike? Of course, that doesn't explain classifying the Spyder as an ATV. If it is an ATV, it's got the lowest ground clearance of any ATV around! :roflblack:

freebob
10-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Below is part of a email I received this AM, My reply, And his reply back to me.

Earlier that morning we did a demo ride on Can Am Spyders. THEY ARE NOT MOTORCYCLES! They are ATVs. Before the ride you even have to legally acknowledge that they are not motorcycles. They were fun, and are pretty sophisticated, but they are technically not motorcycles.

Well Buddy, I beg to differ on your interpretation of the CAN AM SPYDER not being a motorcycle, It is as much a motorcycle as any other Trike on the market it is just a reversed version of such. ATV's are All Terrain Vehicles and are off road only classified, Better do your homework before you make such bias statements. Your fellow Roadrunner....Freebob.

Gee, do I detect a little animosity here? Tough ****. I signed a document that clearly made me acknowledge that what I was about to ride was NOT a motorcycle. It sure was, in my opinion, not. Who cares, anyhow? As one of my shirts says: "You are what you ride."
alpincus@aol.com

He had just returned from Daytona I assume on his Harley...:bowdown:

He had just returned from Daytona I assume on his Harley...:bowdown:

Neez
10-18-2010, 03:39 PM
BRP calls them roadsters. Not motorcycles. Not ATVs. What ever you may call my Spyder, it's still my favorite ride.

BikerDoc
10-18-2010, 03:40 PM
BRP is actually the one guilty of the "It is not a motorcycle" spiel.. They put that out as a warning for how differently you have to handle it when you are a new rider.. I hate the way they put it and I Love my Spyder but sadly it is our manufacturer that is tacitly smearing its own product..

mxz600
10-18-2010, 04:05 PM
To coin a phrase from Ron White "You can't fix stupid".
I get a lot of crap from people at work. Some of it lighthearted but the overall tone is not. If it ain't a Harley it ain't :cus:.
One of the guy's at work saw my desktop picture of the Chicago event. His comment was "That is a lot of Spyders, I didn't even know they made that many". And I said half jokingly, "Give it about twenty years and the Spyder will be taking over". And his reply was, "Give it ten years and they won't even be making them anymore".

LDFIREWORKS
10-18-2010, 04:18 PM
guy is a freakin jerk :2thumbs::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbla ck::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
10-18-2010, 04:38 PM
I don't care WHAT they're called or by whom... they're fun and I'm glad that I've got one.,.. whatever it is! :2thumbs::yes::roflblack:

Yazz
10-18-2010, 05:37 PM
The reason some people give us a hard time is because they can't figure it out. Not a motorcycle or an ATV in their little minds. That makes us an enigma. :shocked:

Dudley
10-18-2010, 06:41 PM
BRP is actually the one guilty of the "It is not a motorcycle" spiel.. They put that out as a warning for how differently you have to handle it when you are a new rider.. I hate the way they put it and I Love my Spyder but sadly it is our manufacturer that is tacitly smearing its own product..

BRP is not smearing it's own product. It is what it is...a Roadster. The signing of the statement that the Spyder "is not a motorcycle" is necessary as a legal declaration for liability if someone said they didn't know that the Spyder didn't handle like a motorcycle. There are enough fools in this world that any company has to cover their back because SOMEONE will find a way to get hurt doing stupid things with a product because no one told them they may get hurt by using the product.
We are now on our 2nd Spyder, an RT after 23 months and 43K miles with a 2008 SE5. I don't really care what someone calls the Spyder. It gives my wife and me indescribable pleasure in being able to ride and enjoy life.

Rider Steve
10-18-2010, 06:44 PM
OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! My first Spyder fight. :2excited:

Dudley
10-18-2010, 06:46 PM
OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! My first Spyder fight. :2excited:

Is this why you are on this site?

BLACK WIDOW
10-18-2010, 06:50 PM
BRP calls them roadsters. Not motorcycles. Not ATVs. What ever you may call my Spyder, it's still my favorite ride.

I'm with you, my friend----Personally don't give a rats A$$ what they call it-----I just like it.:firstplace:

freebob
10-18-2010, 07:10 PM

This not a Spyder fight. It is Spyder riders united....Freebob..:doorag:

Dudley
10-18-2010, 07:31 PM
This not a Spyder fight. It is Spyder riders united....Freebob..:doorag:

Look back. I never mentioned this was a fight. Someone else did.

WackyDan
10-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Yep... I get into with people from time to time. Generally most are open minded and can have an interesting conversation about riding or the spyder.

On the internet however, you have to remember that you are dealing with people offering their 2 cents in a way that they probably wouldn't have the courage to if they had to say it to your face.

I had a kid on the internet tell me his ninja 250 would eat my spyder and I quite honestly got a good laugh... 500 yes, 250, probably not.

I think what you see on the internet is a lot of 20 y/o somethings that are still on their first bike who still think that crotch rockets or top speed are the only thing that constitutes a bike. Heck, many probably don't have a bike at all!

These are the same idiots who in twenty years will still be trying to ride two wheels with the bum knee, etc and then their mind will be of a different set.

I was young once too... I used to think that subarus weren't utter crap and thought that one wasn't a match for an American muscle car... then I was taken for a ride in a run of the mill Impreza with a turbo and upgraded everything. Scared the crap out of me and changed my mind entirely.

I'm waiting for the day that some young punk pulls up next to Doc at a light and finds out the hard way that there are sleeper Spyders out in the wild now. ;)

So... we'll have to endure the fact that some think they are not bikes for the extra wheel, and that some don't recognize them as sport tourers, and that some think they are too slow... Really... Do we really care what they think?

SethO
10-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Yep... I get into with people from time to time. Generally most are open minded and can have an interesting conversation about riding or the spyder.

On the internet however, you have to remember that you are dealing with people offering their 2 cents in a way that they probably wouldn't have the courage to if they had to say it to your face.

I had a kid on the internet tell me his ninja 250 would eat my spyder and I quite honestly got a good laugh... 500 yes, 250, probably not.

I think what you see on the internet is a lot of 20 y/o somethings that are still on their first bike who still think that crotch rockets or top speed are the only thing that constitutes a bike. Heck, many probably don't have a bike at all!

These are the same idiots who in twenty years will still be trying to ride two wheels with the bum knee, etc and then their mind will be of a different set.

I was young once too... I used to think that subarus weren't utter crap and thought that one wasn't a match for an American muscle car... then I was taken for a ride in a run of the mill Impreza with a turbo and upgraded everything. Scared the crap out of me and changed my mind entirely.

I'm waiting for the day that some young punk pulls up next to Doc at a light and finds out the hard way that there are sleeper Spyders out in the wild now. ;)

So... we'll have to endure the fact that some think they are not bikes for the extra wheel, and that some don't recognize them as sport tourers, and that some think they are too slow... Really... Do we really care what they think?

I do and they are. the are classed as a motorcycle and you have to have in MC endorsement to ride them in most states. there is NO way a ninja 250 will be beat a spyder on the road in anyway except for gas mileage.

Kids are dumb and they are stupidest on the interweb, no one to hold them accountable for the bull**** they are slanging. IF you do not believe this look at the comments on my .50 bmg deer video, only the dumbest of the dumb.

is the spyder perfect? NO is it the best trike on the market, YES. With the feedback from the owners on this site it go from good to great, that is IF BRP wants to start paying the right people to test it. Not the yes people that got the thing on the road will all the easily fixed problems. There is NO WAY it would be perfect by customers should not have to bring up when things are wearing out and BRP is playing catch up.

WHERE IS MY CHECK!!!! the big ones like on happy gilmore.

Rockytime
10-18-2010, 08:17 PM
I call mine a trike. Allows me to be a member of Brothers of the Third Wheel. It must be the third wheel that makes it a trike.:ohyea:

Rider Steve
10-18-2010, 09:04 PM

Yes sir re bob! I hear spyder lovers are the best fighters on this planet. I wanna join up cause of the busting of beer bottles, the drugs, the mayhem and destruction they cause all over the world. Spyder riders ain't no pushovers ya know. Their mean, vicious and cruel to the bone. Never mess with Spyder riders dude.

Ya I'm laughing my ass off. :roflblack: get real dudley I was just kidding.

Blue Star
10-18-2010, 09:19 PM
I think what you see on the internet is a lot of 20 y/o somethings that are still on their first bike who still think that crotch rockets or top speed are the only thing that constitutes a bike.

So true. I remember when I crashed on my Suzuki C50, and my wife made me sell it (long story) to my brother-in-law. His 18-year old son (who he was buying it for) looked at it as I opened the garage door, and said "its an old mans bike" I replied, so what did you expect, a bike with training wheels? My wife and brother-in-law busted up laughing, but my nephew did not like that remark.

Havasu Rider
10-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Some of these idiots (young or old) thing that until they leave a pound of skin on the asphalt after laying down their Harley, you are not a biker. Wait until they get to my age (68) and have done that a couple of times and they will be happy to still be riding.:2thumbs:

Rider Steve
10-18-2010, 09:41 PM

I've heard that quite often on the internet and I think it's a farce excuse because people don't understand what's really going on. When your person to person you can interact with that person(s) in a way you can't on the internet. In person you can see that person, you can hear that person, you can hear the tone of their voice, you can see the smirk or smile and you can see their body movements. It's much easier to understand how someone feels about someone or something in person. On the internet your just looking at type written words. It's like talking to a tin can. Only in this case the tin can can talk back. The internet doesn't have a human look or feel so it's a lot easier to misinterpret or take things the wrong way. Crap I better go eat some :popcorn:

SpyderGirl
10-18-2010, 09:59 PM
I've ate my share of pavement... there is almost no way I'd ever go back to a two-wheeler, and there is absolutely no way there wouldn't be a Spyder in my garage.

As for the remark regarding the Ninja 250... I want what he's smoking. I used to own a 2009 Ninja 250 and no way was that faster than the Spyder... not by a long shot.

Call it what you will, I call it my toy and I also call it a motorcycle. It most definitely is not an ATV.

A guy at my husband's work gives him hell sometimes about the Spyder. He just tells him that he's mad that he paid $45,000 for his Harley and only got two wheels. LOL!

RoadHammer
10-18-2010, 10:13 PM
The spyder is NOT a roadster. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, A roadster, also known as a spyder or spider, is a two-seat car, traditionally without a roof, side or rear windows....

Most modern day two-seaters have windows and feature retractable roofs. While retractable soft-tops are nevertheless marketed as roadsters/spyders, retractable hard-tops are commonly designated as coupe roadsters. bla bla bla...

BRP made this bike,trike,quad,roadster to attract NON motorcyle enthusiasts,.. but naturally, snowmobilers, atv'rs, and bikers have decided to hop on this bike,trike,quad,roadster too.

People ask me is it like a snowmobile?? Nope I tell them, it's like an atv with lots of balls. I personally can't wait for another manufacturer to hop on the r-tike bandwagon and start building these too. The only other options out are Vertika, and custom r-trike builders. Iv'e ridden with a Vertika r-trike and it's the best r-trike out IMO.

SPYDERGUY1
10-18-2010, 10:34 PM
bad enough being held captive for a dps issue, friday night the garage door spring broke, AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, finall got it fixed tonight, TOMORROW I AM A SPYDER RYDER AGAIN,,,,, YEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, hopefully there is a GOD.:bowdown:

freebob
10-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Look back. I never mentioned this was a fight. Someone else did.

I understand Dudley, This all started from a email I got from a senior yuppie jerk who rides a Harley I have nothing against Harleys and have owned a few myself...Take care and ride safe....Freebob...:doorag:

pathfinderjoe
10-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Life is to short to worry about what other people think - especially strangers.

SethO
10-19-2010, 02:20 AM
I understand Dudley, This all started from a email I got from a senior yuppie jerk who rides a Harley I have nothing against Harleys and have owned a few myself...Take care and ride safe....Freebob...:doorag:

harvey danielson riders are soo touchy about the lawn mower technolgy they ride. The bike's parts and progress have been sub'ed out to other countries for years. NO one wants to be a leather vested biker anymore and their sales reflect that. If they did not have the ultra classic they would be out of business which is too bad cause the made in AMERicA thing is what this country needs again which means we have to pay more products and ppl do not want to do that.

Bob Denman
10-19-2010, 06:52 AM
So this all started from a Harley-Guy e-mail??? I always knew that they were all up to no good!:roflblack:
Now excuse me while I go for a ride on whatever the heck it is that I'm making payments on... :D
(I'll still call it a "Tripod"...)

patdcop
10-19-2010, 07:26 AM
An interesting thread, I have ridden for forty years. I still have a ninja 250 I ride for fun, a ninja 600 for track days, a concours 1400 for solo sport touring, and the spyder. After a heart attack a couple of years back, my wife decided she wouldn't ride two up on two wheels anymore. I love spending time with my wife more than just riding for the thrill so along came a spyder. Now she always wants to go. If I ride with my older buddies that have Hardlys they always ask if I am bringing the spyder because they think it is cool. If I go to coffee night with the track guys they always want me to bring the spyder.

The more I ride it, the more I like it. :2thumbs:

MoonChaser213
10-19-2010, 08:22 AM
The reason some people give us a hard time is because they can't figure it out. Not a motorcycle or an ATV in their little minds. That makes us an enigma. :shocked:
I have driven many different bikes and stick to my spyder cause I love it and she's so damn QUICK . Some people on Harleys are just looking for the security of belonging to a large group and find some kind of fake power in putting down others outside their "Harley group" I personally love being an enigma and Love my :spyder2: . It's a motorcycle. I know because I had to go to school to get an endorsment !!

Lamonster
10-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Having just got back from Daytona I spent a lot of my time explaining why I like/ride a Spyder. First off it's not a motorcycle, there is very little that is even like a bike. I've owned and ridden every motorcycle I've ever wanted to but the Spyder is so different than all of them, I think that's why it's kept a smile on my face for 3 years now.

Like I tell folks, I don't ride a Spyder because I have to, I ride one because I want to. I have a dirtbike and a 4-wheeler and depending on my mood I ride one or the other. If anything the Spyder is more like a 4-wheeler than anything else I ride, I don't have a problem with that. :doorag:

I say ride what you want but don't crap on another mans ride, he may just have what you're riding in the barn too. :thumbup:

billythekidd
10-19-2010, 08:29 AM
I mean really.... who cares?? I liked it here because it didn't have the anti-other motorcycle crap that all the other boards seem to have. I am still waiting for my spyder, and hope that it is all that I think it will be. I am 58 and have been riding since I was 16 and never once have had the thought that my 350 Bridgestone was better than my dads 450 Honda... Come on guys...

Willy

boborgera
10-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Having just got back from Daytona I spent a lot of my time explaining why I like/ride a Spyder. First off it's not a motorcycle, there is very little that is even like a bike. I've owned and ridden every motorcycle I've ever wanted to but the Spyder is so different than all of them, I think that's why it's kept a smile on my face for 3 years now.

Like I tell folks, I don't ride a Spyder because I have to, I ride one because I want to. I have a dirtbike and a 4-wheeler and depending on my mood I ride one or the other. If anything the Spyder is more like a 4-wheeler than anything else I ride, I don't have a problem with that. :doorag:

I say ride what you want but don't crap on another mans ride, he may just have what you're riding in the barn too. :thumbup:

I agree with you 100%,
For some reason there seems to be a lot of Anti
Harley feelings from some Spyder owners.
And That's just Stupid !
Some people need thicker skins.nojoke

Bob Denman
10-19-2010, 09:25 AM
:thumbup::thumbup::agree::2thumbs:

NancysToy
10-19-2010, 09:26 AM

I couldn't have said it better! I agree that it is motorcycle-like, but it is not a motorcycle in function. You can't change physics. I, too, ride what I want when the mood strikes me...that explains the overflowing garage. The Spyder fills a niche, and brings a smile to my face. My wife wouldn't ride at all if it were not for the Spyder, and for her chance to finally get in the wind, I am grateful. I don't explain why I ride what I ride...and I don't throw rocks at anything anyone else rides. There is plenty of room for all of us on the road. Ignore the critics. Asking why someone rides a Spyder, Harley, or Honda is like asking why they wear black socks...who cares?

mrk2ejk
10-19-2010, 09:36 AM
If it wasn't for the Spyder...no chance I would ever ride a two-wheeler....way too dangerous for me IMHO.

Papa
10-19-2010, 09:44 AM
:agree:

People criticize what they don't understand . . . it's easier than trying to learn.

mxz600
10-19-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't explain why I ride what I ride...and I don't throw rocks at anything anyone else rides.

I don't throw rocks at anything anyone else rides either. I just throw rocks at people that throw rocks at me. That's just how I'm built, right or wrong.
The Harley guys at work just look at me differently now that I ride a Spyder. They don't get it why I leave the Harley in the garage and ride my Spyder to work everyday.
As far as people viewing it as a motorcycle or not, I could not care less. What I know that they don't is that it's a whole lot of fun to ride.
My favorite saying when people ask me why I ride that thing is "If I have to explain... you won't understand".

musicarcade
10-19-2010, 11:16 AM
The spyder is NOT a roadster. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, A roadster, also known as a spyder or spider, is a two-seat car, traditionally without a roof, side or rear windows....

Most modern day two-seaters have windows and feature retractable roofs. While retractable soft-tops are nevertheless marketed as roadsters/spyders, retractable hard-tops are commonly designated as coupe roadsters. bla bla bla...

BRP made this bike,trike,quad,roadster to attract NON motorcyle enthusiasts,.. but naturally, snowmobilers, atv'rs, and bikers have decided to hop on this bike,trike,quad,roadster too.

People ask me is it like a snowmobile?? Nope I tell them, it's like an atv with lots of balls. I personally can't wait for another manufacturer to hop on the r-tike bandwagon and start building these too. The only other options out are Vertika, and custom r-trike builders. Iv'e ridden with a Vertika r-trike and it's the best r-trike out IMO.

From Wikipedia:The Can-Am Spyder ("Spyder") is a three-wheeled motor vehicle (two wheels in the front, one in the rear) similar in layout to a modern snowmobile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowmobile). The Spyder uses an ATV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-terrain_vehicle)-like chassis with a single rear drive wheel, and two wheels in front for steering. It is often referred to as a "roadster" (a term that BRP uses themselves) but in technical terms is more of what has been traditionally called a three wheeled trike.

Besides, if you take your "wiki" definition and replace "car" with "vehicle" it states " is a two-seat car, traditionally without a roof, side or rear windows...."

It ISN"T and "ATV w/ balls" as it is NOT an ALL TERRAIN vehicle. It may have an "ATV like chassis" but it's "balls" would be soon neutered on some good ATV terrain.

Frankly I don't care what you call it. When I don't feel like picking nits, I'll call it a bike, cycle, ryde. One guy I know calls it a "buggy".
whatever. Call it what you want. I love to ryde it.:doorag:

Bob Denman
10-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Amen...:ohyea:

sandrunr1
10-19-2010, 11:52 AM
I have converted several to the :spyder2:. Seems to me there is one big drawback to ryding a :spyder2:. You never have to put your feet down so you lose the appeal of a two wheeler. But there is one big advantage to owning a :spyder2:. You never have to put your feet down. As you get older, there are times on a two wheeler you might forget to put feet on the ground. Happens all the time at bike night here. Some really old riders. On a :spyder2: ryde in, park, get off. :ohyea:

Gordy
10-19-2010, 12:42 PM
they are just jealous of our :spyder2::ohyea:

SPYDERPOPS
10-19-2010, 01:24 PM
2007 Corvette Z06, 505 hp - 8000 mi.
2005 Victory Hammer - 2000 mi.
2007 CanAm Renagade 800 - 1200 mi.
2008 Spyder SM5 - 28000 mi.
2010 Commander 1000X - not here yet

Now, which one gives me the most pleasure?
Harvey

packbuckbrew
10-19-2010, 03:27 PM
My usual response to the hard a--es that ride harleys is to explain to them that when you are very well endowed that it is difficult to balance on two wheels and so for small guys the two wheels work out ok, but for me I need the third wheel because of the imbalance created by the big fella down there. That usually shuts them up.

M2Wild
10-19-2010, 03:35 PM
It's a street legal snow mobil on wheels. THE END !!!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Amanda B
10-19-2010, 04:34 PM

alpincus@aol.com

"You are what you ride." So what exactly does he ride? A Honda moTARD??? A Road Toad?

canam9
10-19-2010, 05:34 PM
To coin a phrase from Ron White "You can't fix stupid".
I get a lot of crap from people at work. Some of it lighthearted but the overall tone is not. If it ain't a Harley it ain't :cus:.
One of the guy's at work saw my desktop picture of the Chicago event. His comment was "That is a lot of Spyders, I didn't even know they made that many". And I said half jokingly, "Give it about twenty years and the Spyder will be taking over". And his reply was, "Give it ten years and they won't even be making them anymore".
:roflblack:This guy that said they wont be making them in ten years is on crack! BPR came to market first with a brilliant product. Timing is everything. There campaign of marketing to the baby boomers and women will and has put them in front of the market. They have sold out the RT-S in its first year of production while all the other companys are sucking wind. The only bike that Harley-Davidson is ramping up production on is the Tri-Glide, again pushing it to the baby boomers and women. I have two other "bikes" and I just love being in the wind R-trikes or not we will see more and more onthe road as we all get older.:ani29:

MoonChaser213
10-19-2010, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=Rider Steve;257667]Yes sir re bob! I hear spyder lovers are the best fighters on this planet. I wanna join up cause of the busting of beer bottles, the drugs, the mayhem and destruction they cause all over the world. Spyder riders ain't no pushovers ya know. Their mean, vicious and cruel to the bone. Never mess with Spyder riders dude.
:spyder:Yep , that's me....I pull up to the hard core biker bars....and all the Harleys tremble......:doorag:

MoonChaser213
10-19-2010, 06:33 PM
My usual response to the hard a--es that ride harleys is to explain to them that when you are very well endowed that it is difficult to balance on two wheels and so for small guys the two wheels work out ok, but for me I need the third wheel because of the imbalance created by the big fella down there. That usually shuts them up.
MERCY....I WILL NEVER LOOK AT A 3 WHEELER THE SAME WAY AGAIN!!:f_spider:

Smylinacha
10-19-2010, 08:31 PM
No, Spyders are NOT motorcycles. Spyders do not have two wheels, nor do they lean. Same as trikes like the hd ones - they are not motorcycles either. But yep - they get you in the wind and are fun to ride and to h#ll with what anyone thinks - ride what you like and have fun :)

Bob Denman
10-20-2010, 06:53 AM
:agree: 100 percent with what she said! :ohyea:

Recon
10-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Next time, just give him a sign; as in " Here's your sign"

mtdoragary
10-21-2010, 04:06 PM
My Spyder is not a motorcycle. I have plenty of motorcycles and didn't need another one. My Spyder is a stable trike, and that makes it unique! I love my motorcycles and I love my Spyder, but there's no way my Spyder is a motorcycle - It's more like a Miata that I sit on top of instead of inside of. You ride what you are!

alpincus@aol.com

mtdoragary
10-21-2010, 04:08 PM
MERCY....I WILL NEVER LOOK AT A 3 WHEELER THE SAME WAY AGAIN!!:f_spider:
The beer gut?:popcorn:

mtdoragary
10-21-2010, 04:14 PM
If Harley had the good sense to put two wheels in front and lean them like the Piaggio scooter, that's what my wife would be riding instead of the Spyder. I like the build quality of my Harley MUCH better than my Spyder. But when it comes to three wheel motorcycles (scooters not included), the Spyder is the only game in town! When my time comes and I can't hold my Road King up anymore at a stop, I'll be installing Landing Gear or buying a Spyder depending on the level of refinement of the Spyder by then. Not knocking the Spyder - it's a heck of a product only its third year in production, but Harley's had over a hundred years of lead time on them to get it right.
:roflblack:This guy that said they wont be making them in ten years is on crack! BPR came to market first with a brilliant product. Timing is everything. There campaign of marketing to the baby boomers and women will and has put them in front of the market. They have sold out the RT-S in its first year of production while all the other companys are sucking wind. The only bike that Harley-Davidson is ramping up production on is the Tri-Glide, again pushing it to the baby boomers and women. I have two other "bikes" and I just love being in the wind R-trikes or not we will see more and more onthe road as we all get older.:ani29:

mtdoragary
10-21-2010, 04:15 PM
It's a street legal snow mobil on wheels. THE END !!!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Right on target!

docdoru
10-21-2010, 04:25 PM
I then pressed the reverse issue here: knowing what I ride, who am I? :D

mtdoragary
10-21-2010, 04:27 PM

I guess the main reason I don't ride my wife's Spyder more often (it IS a barrel of fun!) is because it doesn't lean and that keeps my dog from riding with me. On the Harley, the bike leans into a corner, and I and my dog along with it stay firmly planted in our seats due to centrifugal force. But when the Spyder turn s corner, centrifugal force tries to throw you OFF the bike and my dog, having no handlebars, goes flying off! I tried him on it once in the backyard and that was enough for him! he will ride my harley and my W650, but NOT my Spyder or my URAL. Not leaning in a corner is unnatural. Ask Thumper!

Yazz
10-21-2010, 05:17 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

mtdoragary
10-21-2010, 05:59 PM

The answer is that you are a guy with an insatiable appetite for power and speed.... And a heuva nice guy!

Smylinacha
10-21-2010, 08:37 PM
That is so cool that your dog is a biker!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::2thumbs::2thumbs:

I gotta ask HDX if he'll take Ms. Kitty for a ride on his Roadglide. :shocked:

I guess the main reason I don't ride my wife's Spyder more often (it IS a barrel of fun!) is because it doesn't lean and that keeps my dog from riding with me. On the Harley, the bike leans into a corner, and I and my dog along with it stay firmly planted in our seats due to centrifugal force. But when the Spyder turn s corner, centrifugal force tries to throw you OFF the bike and my dog, having no handlebars, goes flying off! I tried him on it once in the backyard and that was enough for him! he will ride my harley and my W650, but NOT my Spyder or my URAL. Not leaning in a corner is unnatural. Ask Thumper!

Roger
10-21-2010, 09:27 PM
No, Spyders are NOT motorcycles. Spyders do not have two wheels, nor do they lean. Same as trikes like the hd ones - they are not motorcycles either. But yep - they get you in the wind and are fun to ride and to h#ll with what anyone thinks - ride what you like and have fun :)

AMEN SISTER :pray:

mtdoragary
10-22-2010, 05:16 AM
He's a biker:2thumbs:, but not a triker!:spyder2:

That is so cool that your dog is a biker!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::2thumbs::2thumbs:

I gotta ask HDX if he'll take Ms. Kitty for a ride on his Roadglide. :shocked:

murphybrown
10-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Enjoyed reading all the posts...but bottom line for me I DON'T Care I ryde the Spyder cause I can...never waste much time on what people say about me. And waste absolutely no time trying to worry about what they think about me...
I find HD purists reaction to Ms Spyder to be very entertaining and telling about what their character is...:popcorn:

texasride
10-22-2010, 06:47 AM
well here is my $.02 worth. i drive a jeep also and as the saying goes you wont understand its a jeep thing, same with :spyder2: its a :spyder2: thing you just would not understand.:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack::ohyea: :ohyea::yes: :yes:

Bob Denman
10-22-2010, 07:01 AM
:agree:

killerbee
10-22-2010, 10:56 AM
While stopping at a fast food restaurant on a trip, I overheard the clerks talking about our "motorcycles". One of the boys stated "That's a senior wheelchair". After telling my husband, he went up and asked if he wanted to race against the senior wheelchair. The kid backed off real fast.

boborgera
10-22-2010, 01:31 PM
While stopping at a fast food restaurant on a trip, I overheard the clerks talking about our "motorcycles". One of the boys stated "That's a senior wheelchair". After telling my husband, he went up and asked if he wanted to race against the senior wheelchair. The kid backed off real fast.

I wonder if any bystanders listening to that conversation :chat: could tell who was the Adult? :dontknow:

grumpybob
10-23-2010, 06:48 PM
We ride a real ATV!!