PDA

View Full Version : The "Triple Nickel" - OH

pierrelogic
10-17-2010, 06:02 PM
I was on a very small portion of this road earlier in the summer and was duly impressed. Been ryding around it all summer with other places to explore. Today I came across Route 555 (http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/oh555.html) sort of by accident and made a snap decision to go for it. I have but a single word for the triple nickel...respect. :bowdown:

Now I did not run the southern 17 miles of this beast, but took in the northern 48 miles. I have not seen too many road where a posted speed limit would be a joke. Most of the time I spent in 3 and 4th gear while rolling from one side of the seat to the other. What a rush! Yea, the tail of the dragon gets all the headlines with 300+turns in 11 miles but I challenge anyone to run this route and not come away with a few "oh crap" moments, a smile on their face and sore shoulders. Thankfully, in 65 miles you do get some breaks between the turns because you'll need it. Clearly there's well over 300+ curves on this road being much longer than the dragon. Yes, locals stop what their doing and watch every rider an they navigate through some of the most technical parts. They know if you've been there before or you're a rookie. :doorag:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=901&pictureid=12798

Switchbacks, blind rises with immediate 90 degree turns, negative G turns, sweepers, twisties, increasing angle turns, sparse gravel, even manure (it is Amish country)...this route is nothing less than a test of skill and endurance. I noticed few other riders and even fewer waving because if you're not paying close attention on this road, you'll pay for it. Again, no huge drop offs like the dragon but if you go off the road here you're not getting back on the road without some help...but you're Spyder will probably survive. The negative G turns are truly amazing.

Now I'm off to enjoy my Tylenol coma... :D :roflblack:

bonehead
10-17-2010, 06:59 PM
i believe they call it the the little dragon. Ive seen it posted in lots a magazine, but yet to ride it. sounds funs. Maybe another OHIO event.
:2thumbs:

dancogan
10-17-2010, 07:38 PM
I did the southern portion of it 2 summers ago coming back from TN. I was already tired and that's a mistake on that road. It requires your full and complete attention. Anyway, after about 30-40 miles of it I was happy to stop for the day. It's a great road!

budro
10-18-2010, 07:55 AM
If ya like 555 then try 536 & 556 that run out of Hannibal OH along the OH WV border. right across the river from New Martinsville WV WOW!!:clap: