PDA

View Full Version : RT-S and a deer

ThreeFeet
10-17-2010, 02:23 PM
I got my RT-S back from Cowtown and went to Cuba to TASTE the CHILI cookoff stuff! Didn't know I and the others who tasted were the Judges!!!:shocked: Anyway Went to the Park south of Leasburg (can't spell it) and then headed home around 3Pm Got a short stop at Fanning to get my bottle of beer( Root beer folks!!!) Then on home now it's close to 5PM headed south on 68 and sure nuff there was this little deer and she ran right in front of me and of course I hit it!!! UP and OVER the shield off to the right she and I went into the ditch. She fell off back aways and I finely stoped-- engine quit. Scared PEEGREEN!!!Shaken like a leaf in high winds. Probably won't be able to go #2 for a week!!!! Went back to find the poor thing and it took off running the best it could on one leg and three busted ones!!!! Finally around 7pm a super trooper came and shot it. I couldn't find a person in the immediate area that had a gun!!! Couldn't BELIEVE THAT!! Anyway found out I had hit the kill switch and so finally got the thing out of the ditch and said farewell to the folks who stopped to help as they had seen me hit her. and thought the poor thing landed in my lap. Only thing that saved me and the bike was the fact that it was maybe a 6month old or older. was really small. God help ya if you hit a full grown deer. That little one REALLY gave me nightmares last night!!! Will take the RT to Cowtown Tue for an emergency check up. No cracks,no liquid leaking, shield ok I'm fine now, all ok just want to make sure under sides of bike are ok I can't tell if any damage there. RT drove fine the rest of the way home. Sooo hoping no problems. Sorry this is so long just had to warn folks WATCH OUT FOR DEER!!!! It's the rutting season here in MO.

CyncySpyder
10-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up about deer, been see'n them all over the country roads along the Ohio river down this way. Am SO GLAD that you are ok & hopefully the Spyder as well. Could you imagine the outcome had you been on 2 wheels? Take it easy out there.

SpyderAnn01
10-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Good to hear that you are okay hope you find out that the Spyder is okay also.

bruiser
10-17-2010, 05:24 PM
ThreeFeet, glad you're ok and hoping the Rt is too. Been seeing a lot of the critters around here now, cool weather brings 'em out. But it's not only the deer, one of the guys I know rides a two wheeler hit a fox last week. Laid the bike down, scrapes etc. but he's ok now, the guy, not the fox. :roflblack:

pitbull
10-17-2010, 05:53 PM

So sorry Sharon! Glad you and the bike are both ok!!! What a deal! Yes bring the bike in we will check it out and make all is ok..... Might install some deer whistles for ya! Again so glad you are ok! No worries on the bike! We can handle that one easy! Call us if you need anything!

Mo Lee
10-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Glad to hear you are ok other than shaken.

BumbleBee
10-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Glad to hear that you are okay, Sharon.

Small deer crossed in front of the Van a few days ago, slammed on my brakes, missed it, :D

Bob Denman
10-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Good luck when you take the Bike in for a once-over! I'm glad to hear that you guys survived it with all but your pride intact!:2thumbs:

boborgera
10-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Don't know if this would work with a Spyder [low ground clearance]
But with my truck I've learned that if you can't avoid hitting a deer head on, just before impact come off the brakes so the deer gos under and not
over into your windshield. If the deer comes from the side[most times they do] Just chalk it up to one less deer one more dent.:D

ThreeFeet
10-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Seems to be my week for em Thursday last week had a REALLY close call with a full grown deer but had the truck and I JUST JUST missed her!!! Heard her hoves on the pavement and thought she'd fallen but in rear view she was GONE!!!! WHEW!!!! Sweatin it anymore!!!:yikes:

ThreeFeet
10-18-2010, 10:45 AM
So sorry Sharon! Glad you and the bike are both ok!!! What a deal! Yes bring the bike in we will check it out and make all is ok..... Might install some deer whistles for ya! Again so glad you are ok! No worries on the bike! We can handle that one easy! Call us if you need anything!
Yep see ya'll Tues. AM. not going to the gym want to check out the bike. I can look under it but that doesn't mean anything don't know WHAT I am looking at!!! Front looks fine, a little blood on the shield, didn't check to see if it will go up and down yet. I was a good ten mi from home that night and the bike did ok so figure and hope for NO damage. SLM

ThreeFeet
10-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the heads up about deer, been see'n them all over the country roads along the Ohio river down this way. Am SO GLAD that you are ok & hopefully the Spyder as well. Could you imagine the outcome had you been on 2 wheels? Take it easy out there.
Imagine it if it had been a full grown buck or doe!!! Pass on that!!!!:yikes:

bullant12
11-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I usually install these on my cars and I might do it on my RT...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Black-Deer-Warning/14324180

For $10 it is better than paying $$$$$ on damage and not including our lifes. And for the skepticall on this, here is a way to see this/joke:

Man sees a person walking down the sidewalk hitting two pieces of wood together making loud claps with these. Man comes up to the person and asks him what is he doing.

Guy says: "This is my elephant deterrent system. The noice keeps them away!"

"You're nuts man! There are no elephants in the area"

"Exactly!" Says the guy!:D

SpydermanCT
11-24-2010, 05:54 PM
:2thumbs:

Great idea. I live in a highly populated deer area and I'm going to mount a set of these.

Boriken
11-24-2010, 06:57 PM
:agree:I have seen a few here in South Jersey.

bruiser
11-24-2010, 08:07 PM
:agree:I have seen a few here in South Jersey.

Not to worry, they're only as big as a german sheppard there :roflblack::roflblack:

Firefly
11-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Glad you're okay!

Of the 8 or so that have hit deer with Spyders, I think yours is the first that I recall going up and over the windshield.... and most of the other deer hits were larger deer.

Just be glad you were not on 2 wheels.

Glad you figured out the kill switch -- something you should use all the time BTW to turn bike off.

millers1
11-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Had a 'little' one bolt out of a cornfield that was right next to the road. I didn't see it until an instant before getting launched. This was on my Harley; If I was on a Spyder, I'm not sure how I would have fared.

If you see one near the road, you can prepare to take evasive action. It's the kamikaze deer that bolt out from BEHIND brush, trees, whatever, that you can't prepare for.