PDA

View Full Version : Fire update

Donzo
10-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Well it has been 2 weeks since my Spyder started on fire while I was driving it...

State Farm is really coming through for me - they are giving me more than I could have sold it for - and enough to easily purchase another one. I had one of the good ones - never a problem intil the fire - you can check my past posts, I was one of the most positive Spyder riders. But I am not even considering buying another one - BRP did not even return my email discussing what happened. State Farm will be going after them.

I am back on my Sabre 1100 and really enjoying it - I had forgotten how fun the leaning is on 2 wheels and I know my Sabre will just keep going - no computer problems...no fires. It even automatically adjusts the valves! I had a good time on the Spyder, but was always waiting for the problems to begin....don't want that feeling again. Hopefully one of the big bike manufacterers will come out with a reverse trike that will not be plagued with all the problems and lack of adequate response that the Spyder/BRP has had.

I like all the folks here and the ones I have ridden with - so, I will be around and go on some of the rides - on 2 wheels. But the best part of a group ride is the people not the vehicles.

NancysToy
10-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Sorry to see you leave the ranks of Spyder owners permanently, but your feelings are perfectly understandable. Glad your insurance company came through with shining colors. Best wishes for lots of enjoyable road miles on your Sabre.

Firefly
10-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Glad it has worked out as good as possible and fully understand you not wanting to get back on another Spyder right away.

One thing that was never answered is whether or not your Spyder had the Evap Canister vent hose extension done or not per update #2.

This is vital information to know. Please share if you know whether this was completed or not... or just tell us you're not sure.

Thanks... Ride safe.

boborgera
10-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Glad it has worked out as good as possible and fully understand you not wanting to get back on another Spyder right away.

One thing that was never answered is whether or not your Spyder had the Evap Canister vent hose extension done or not per update #2.

This is vital information to know. Please share if you know whether this was completed or not... or just tell us you're not sure.

Thanks... Ride safe.

:agree::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:That info would be helpful.

xpeschon
10-15-2010, 10:22 AM
On July 7th Donzo posted this:

23,000 miles - no updates/recalls done and no problems at all -

I will get the recall done at 25,000 miles

Not sure how many miles he had on the spYder or if he ever had the updates done,,, Looks like as of July 7th he didn't...

X-Joe

ARtraveler
10-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Sorry to hear you are leaving the Spyder ranks--but I can understand your reasoning also. I also have a back up bike--but have not actually had to use it for back up as my Spyder has always worked. It is a bit disappointing to me that BRP did not communicate with you. Enjoy your Sabre.

WackyDan
10-15-2010, 11:37 AM
It is very disappointing that BRP didn't contact you.

It would seem that corporate lawyers have taken the "human" parts of every company and replaced that with contempt of the consumer.

BRP knows how the community feels about this. I wonder how they feel about the potential buyers that do research before buying and finding posts like this? If they gave a damn they'd be looking that spyder over from top to bottom.

I couldn't say I wouldn't buy another one if faced with the same issue, but I'd have to think twice.

boborgera
10-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I understand were your coming from, I have a back up bike and i had to use it the month of July and half the month of September.
As far as the Spyder go's, If somebody comes out with a reverse Trike
the Spyder is gone. I'm a funny guy i don't fall in love with a bike just because there the only game in town. If this hurts anybody's feelings or Ego's i apologize in advance, But as Goldwater once said;
In your hart you know I'm right.

canam9
10-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Sorry to see you leave the ranks of Spyder owners permanently, but your feelings are perfectly understandable. Glad your insurance company came through with shining colors. Best wishes for lots of enjoyable road miles on your Sabre.
Ditto.:ani29:

Rider Steve
10-15-2010, 02:20 PM
But I am not even considering buying another one - BRP did not even return my email discussing what happened. State Farm will be going after them.

And that is why BRP never emailed you back. They know their going to be taken to court so they ain't sayin nutin honey. Their saving all their air for the courtroom.

M2Wild
10-15-2010, 02:37 PM
BRP will likely pay the ins. co. off quietly since they addressed the fire issue with the evap can update. BRP might also say he didn't get the update done as requested and limit their liability in court. Anyone caught fire after they had the evap update?

SpyderGirl
10-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Glad to hear that the insurance is helping you out. So sorry to hear about your Spyder.

Looking forward to future rides with you, no matter the number of wheels. :doorag:

bruiser
10-15-2010, 05:03 PM
I too can understand your frustration. I'm concerned about my RT, I smell gas alot when ryding and after. I got home the other day after a 120 mile ride, the tank was on empty when I pulled in to the garage. There was a strong smell of gas. The canister mod had been done before I bought the bike new. On ryding, wheels is wheels, 2 or 3. I ride with a group and I have the only Spyder, all the others are Hardleys, Hondas, Stars etc. Ride on...

Boriken
10-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Sorry to hear that you are leaving the spyder ranks, but I can understand your feelings about BRP, Good luck and Ride Safely.

spydsense
10-15-2010, 07:05 PM

On July 7th Donzo posted this:

23,000 miles - no updates/recalls done and no problems at all -

I will get the recall done at 25,000 miles

Not sure how many miles he had on the spYder or if he ever had the updates done,,, Looks like as of July 7th he didn't...

X-Joe

These are a couple of things that are VERY important to all of us and I hope we get an answer.

XXX 74
10-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Well it has been 2 weeks since my Spyder started on fire while I was driving it...

But I am not even considering buying another one - BRP did not even return my email discussing what happened. .

$ h i t, if my bike caught fire not only would I not get another one... :lecturef_smilie: I would seek legal action...

Smylinacha
10-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Donzo, I am glad things are working out for you and that they paid you for your Spyder! I really don't think I'd get another one after going through that. Anyway, I like what you said about it not being the bike but it being the people who make the ride good! Enjoy your riding and ride safe!:thumbup:

WaltH
10-15-2010, 09:49 PM
$ h i t, if my bike caught fire not only would I not get another one... :lecturef_smilie: I would seek legal action...

I had the first fire on May 4, 2009. I took delivery of my new Spyder on May 15, 2009, with absolutely no regrets! I am looking forward to getting my third Spyder.

Firefly
10-15-2010, 11:18 PM
I had the first fire on May 4, 2009. I took delivery of my new Spyder on May 15, 2009, with absolutely no regrets! I am looking forward to getting my third Spyder.

:2thumbs:

Heck---- what would the chances of it happening twice to you anyways!

XXX 74
10-15-2010, 11:20 PM

You are a brave man my friend... or you just don't learn... which ever one it is, Have fun and enjoy yourself !
Cheers !

Firefly
10-16-2010, 12:37 AM
You are a brave man my friend... or you just don't learn... which ever one it is, Have fun and enjoy yourself !
Cheers !

Considering he has over 100,000 miles between his 2 Spyders---- I would say he has learned more about owning a Spyder than just about anyone else.

No one has been hurt yet from a fire, and the fires have been pretty minimal in number compared to total units sold. Being aware of the possibility of a fire is good common sense.... being afraid to ride because a fire *might* happen is over-reactionary.

You have a much greater risk of a 'regular old accident' with your Spyder than you do one of these fires. We know of maybe a dozen fires, but far more have crashed, hit deer, etc.....

WaltH
10-16-2010, 02:04 AM
Cheers !

I am very comfortable with the thought that my risk for another Spyder fire is quite low. Mine was the first reported fire and we cannot know the exact cause. However, since then, we have learned much. There is good reason to believe the cause was related to the evaporative canister. My second Spyder has had a canisterectomy, and when I get my third Spyder, it too will have a canisterectomy. The procedure is quick, easy, and safe. I believe it is better than BRP's remedy, which was to extend the vent hose and improve the timing of the purge valve. As a Spyder owner, I can do what the manufacturer cannot do easily. To the best of my knowledge, the law does not require an evap canister in Florida. I recommend a canisterectomy for every Spyder.

SpyderWolf
10-23-2010, 10:25 PM
BRP will likely pay the ins. co. off quietly since they addressed the fire issue with the evap can update. BRP might also say he didn't get the update done as requested and limit their liability in court. Anyone caught fire after they had the evap update?

This is the question we continue to ask, and at this point it doesn't look like anyone has.

wyliec
10-24-2010, 12:30 PM
:agree:!!!

And it seems like such a simple question to answer. :gaah: :dontknow:

:popcorn:

You may never get an answer if the spyder owner and BRP have made some type of an 'arrangement.'

I know a few weeks back when I talked to Carlo I brought up the possibility of a fire without the vent hose extension. One of the things he said was that he could not discuss another person's spyder problems.

Dudley
10-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Cheers !

If we live our lives in fear, we will never really LIVE. More people have been hurt from Spyder accidents than fires. I for one have never understood, or at least have never read any report, on why the fires have not been professionally investigated. And telling someone "you just don't learn" is a bit far fetched, IMO.

wyliec
10-24-2010, 04:54 PM
If we live our lives in fear, we will never really LIVE. More people have been hurt from Spyder accidents than fires. I for one have never understood, or at least have never read any report, on why the fires have not been professionally investigated. And telling someone "you just don't learn" is a bit far fetched, IMO.

According to Carlo, every fire that has been reported to BRP has been investigated. Now, whether you consider that professionialy investigated is up to you as is believing they have been investigated.

Raptor
10-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Well, typically a professional investigation is followed by an official report of findings of some sort and even an official release of information to the general public issued by the manufacturer or a saftey board of some sort.

Since this apparently has not happened I would venture to say that none of these events regarding fires have been proffesionally investigated. Certainly no concrete cause has been identified to be sure.

Bottom line here is that we are all left to keep on guessing. I would just say to all that we must stay vigilant, pay attention to the danger signs and make sure the update is done.

Lone Spyder Ryder
10-24-2010, 06:46 PM
professional investigation (professionl) what!!!!!

WaltH
10-24-2010, 07:09 PM
According to Carlo, every fire that has been reported to BRP has been investigated. Now, whether you consider that professionialy investigated is up to you as is believing they have been investigated.

My fire was reported to BRP (with pictures). No one looked at my Spyder after the fire, not BRP, and not the insurance company. I am absolutely certain of this. I had control of the Spyder until it was picked up by the salvage company (junk yard). I had an opportunity to talk to someone from the salvage company about a month later, and I ask if anyone visited the yard to look at my Spyder. He said no one had looked at it.

Perhaps looking at a few pictures is a professional investigation.

Raptor
10-24-2010, 07:55 PM
professional investigation (professionl) what!!!!!

I reckon I meant an organization such as this:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/ among others.

The key here is how many of these types of incidents have occurred compared to the number of units produced. Does this number constitute a trend that warrants this kind of attention by said body?

I don't have the answers to those questions because I don not think we actually know just how many fires have occurred and were the circumstances the same in each case. For now we have to have hope that BRP will step up and take this a bit more seriously. We know that there was an update issued to help remedy the situation. Was it successfull? Do we know whether or not a fire took place after this update was applied?

There are many things that need to be examined before the panic button is pushed. This is of little comfort to those who have experienced the problem and I hate that it happened to those affected. But these are the cold hard facts of how the process works.

OldDog
10-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Look at my profile. I sold my 1100 Shadow Sabre last year. I'm hoping to possibly get a 2011 RTS SE5. I am uneasy about the quality issues.

SpyderWolf
10-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Look at my profile. I sold my 1100 Shadow Sabre last year. I'm hoping to possibly get a 2011 RTS SE5. I am uneasy about the quality issues.

To the best of my knowlege, from reading everything I have about the fires posted on this forum, no RTs have caught fire or any 2010 Spyders for that matter. Many of us believe the extension of the cannister vent tube for the 2008 and earlier 2009 models was the fix for preventing the fire issue. That is why the question keeps being asked as to whether or not they had that update done before their Spyders went up in flames.

As with any new product line, there have been some growing pains; however, chances are the 2011 line will be even better than the 2010 line and your problems will be minimal. Best of luck to you when you decide to take the plunge.