PDA

View Full Version : Remember TRON?

SpyderWolf
10-13-2010, 09:48 PM
For those that remember the movie TRON, one of the best parts of it was the light cycles. These bikes were lit up in cool patterns along the sides, and left a wall of light behind them. They were used in tournaments, and if a rider was boxed in and hit a wall of light they would derezz instantly.

I just saw a video clip of a new product TricLED is coming out with. They are calling it project "Nite", but it sure looks like TRON lights to me. I have already contacted Reggy, as I would definitely like to add some of these to my Spyder. :thumbup:

Here is the video clip, they are the red light strips you see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-1OXdCZQPk

WackyDan
10-13-2010, 10:41 PM
I suggest you start saving for one of those small honda gas generators. You could strap it down to the passenger seat... or start towing a generator in a trailer that has a solar panel on the trailer lid to help keep your battery charged up.

Seriously now.

Once my life here is normalized, I may have to come down with my amp-meter and we'll figure out just how much juice you are sucking with those LEDs.

On the plus side, you can park your Spyder in your living room for christmas... tie some pine bows and holly swags to it and call it your Christmas tree.:roflblack:

Firefly
10-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Do I remember TRON--- HECK YES!!!

I have the standup arcade game in my rec room !:2thumbs:

IWN2RYD
10-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Good find...

And what do you mean do we remember TRON? It is not out yet (Joke I know I know)

New one looks pretty good! (Link) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104001/)

dave01
10-14-2010, 04:30 AM
Not for me, but they look cool. No red/blue lights allowed in Florida if you want to have them on while ryding. I learned the hard way a few years ago with 3 tickets for improper light equipment ( color), strobing lights while operating on a public road and lights causing a distraction to other vehicles at night. Come to think of it, the tickets cost more than my lights did...:yikes::yikes:

SpyderWolf
10-14-2010, 05:24 AM
If I would have known these were being worked on I most likely would have held off on the nose cone lighting. :dontknow:

I am now thinking if I get these I will work with them to outline the Spyder, kind of like the Light Cycles, and hook them into a separate controller box. That way I could choose between Peterbuilt mode or TRON mode. :D

I can't have red or blue on the machine while ryding in SC either. I can have them just for show in parking lots and such. I sent Reggy an email and he is working on other colors as well.

I was thinking these might actually look great in white, but then I am also partial to amber, but the orange in the TRON 2 trailer looks really cool as well. Does anyone else have any color suggestions?

TRON 2 does look good. It is my understanding in this one when they hit the light wall they will not derezz though. I am wondering what they will have happen instead? Oh yeah, I would have to lose a whole lot of weight before I could wear one of those suits, so I think we are safe there. :D

Gargoyle, I am growing my beard out right now. It is in, but not nearly as full as that one yet. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
10-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Have you guys noticed that with all of these Hollywood remakes, there's absolutely nothing original out there anymore... :hun:
The original Tron... :clap:

Eraser
10-14-2010, 07:59 AM
:thumbup:.....I'm in.;) Would like to see it in "Ice" Blue or Yellow.

bruiser
10-14-2010, 09:40 AM
I like the breath pattern. Wonder how they would look on my RT?? So far no problems here in NC with my blue GloRyders. We have another rider (Honda) in our RC that has blue LED strings on his, no problem either.

Spanky
10-14-2010, 11:17 AM
My license plate is " TRON 59 ".

Tron for obvious reasons and 59 because it's PE #59.
:doorag:

SpyderWolf
10-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Have you guys noticed that with all of these Hollywood remakes, there's absolutely nothing original out there anymore... :hun:
The original Tron... :clap:

Yes, I have definitely noticed that most of the new movies now are remakes of older ones. Where has all of the creative genius gone? :dontknow:

:thumbup:.....I'm in.;) Would like to see it in "Ice" Blue or Yellow.

Ice Blue would be cool, I think I have enough orange highlights in my graphics to pull that off as well.

I like the breath pattern. Wonder how they would look on my RT?? So far no problems here in NC with my blue GloRyders. We have another rider (Honda) in our RC that has blue LED strings on his, no problem either.

I would expect them to work just fine. I saw Reggy's in person in Daytona, and they are very thin and should be easy to mount just about anywhere on the Spyders.

My license plate is " TRON 59 ".

Tron for obvious reasons and 59 because it's PE #59.
:doorag:

Now that is cool! :thumbup: Are you going to light it up as well?

I think the deal is sealed for me. I am going to work it out so I can run the TRON lighting on a different controller. This will give me the option of deciding what lighting pattern I want to go with, or even running them all at once. This will be another fun project that I am starting to look forward to.

PixieRage
10-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Looks like EL wire, if it is it's very thin and flexible and requires very little power to light up. Even though it's shielded, my understanding is that it should not be used in wet conditions so I don't know if they have done something to make that a non-issue or not.

Looking forward to see what the product looks like in the end. I know in Illinois we aren't allowed to have any additional lighting effects on while driving, only parked. Takes some of the fun out of it.

canam9
10-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I like. :ani29:

SpyderWolf
10-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Looks like EL wire, if it is it's very thin and flexible and requires very little power to light up. Even though it's shielded, my understanding is that it should not be used in wet conditions so I don't know if they have done something to make that a non-issue or not.

Looking forward to see what the product looks like in the end. I know in Illinois we aren't allowed to have any additional lighting effects on while driving, only parked. Takes some of the fun out of it.

That takes a lot of the fun out of it. So far I have not been pulled over for any of the lighting mods I have on my Spyder. In SC we are not allowed to have any blue lights, forward facing red lights, or lights that flash while moving. I set all of my LED's to steady on while ryding at night and am lit up extremely well. I also figure if I am ever pulled over I will do my best to politely explain that I am just trying to make sure other vehicles see me and don't attempt to kill me. You should have seen the light shows in Daytona, Biketoberfest was a great event to be at this year. :thumbup:

Sopher
10-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Up here in Massachusetts, there are MANY restrictions on adding lights.
Blue or Red blinking are the biggest no no's. I would imaging that is the case with most states. The ONLY allowed use is during static bike shows.

Technically. if the lights are not DOT approved, you can get a ticket.

COOLMACHINE
10-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Here's a pic. I have this as my background on my computer.

musicarcade
10-24-2010, 11:27 AM
I figured out what was missing on your light mod project (other than a mirror ball)--- you!
:ohyea:
Pic was too big to show the lights moving/glowing, so you would have to look here:
http://enlighted.com/pages/elmoto.shtml

SpyderWolf
10-24-2010, 04:14 PM
I figured out what was missing on your light mod project (other than a mirror ball)--- you!
:ohyea:
Pic was too big to show the lights moving/glowing, so you would have to look here:
http://enlighted.com/pages/elmoto.shtml

Thanks Tom! When I first saw it I was like man, that would be really cool to have, but then I read the disclaimer on it.

While the visual effect of EL wire covering a garment can be stunning, we consider pieces like this to be wearable art, with an emphasis on the art, and not the wearability. EL wire is very fragile, and cannot withstand repeated flexing over a period of time.
If you require a garment that will allow greater body motion (for activities like dancing or motorcycle riding) and a longer working lifetime, we strongly recommend that the EL wire be restricted to smaller non-flexing regions, like a logo on the back. Another option would be to select a design with LED-based lighting, which is generally a lot more durable.

So, since you have sparked the interest I may start looking for another version of this that will be much more durable. :thumbup:

musicarcade
10-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Yeah I read that too, but still had to send the info:D
Maybe an outline on a large Spyder patch on a jacket??:dontknow:

SpyderWolf
10-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah I read that too, but still had to send the info:D
Maybe an outline on a large Spyder patch on a jacket??:dontknow:

That might be cool, but I have also been seeing some really flexible LED strips lately that may actually work for clothing as well. A 9 volt battery may be all it takes to power a few strips, but I am not sure how long that would last. I have found some safety vests with LEDs as well, but am going to keep researching this angle.

SethO
10-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Do I remember TRON--- HECK YES!!!

I have the standup arcade game in my rec room !:2thumbs:

the late 80's version? that is awsome