PDA

View Full Version : Helment lock

johnnyg
10-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Can some one give me the web site for helment locks for your handle bars on the RT ? Thanks

wyliec
10-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Can some one give me the web site for helment locks for your handle bars on the RT ? Thanks

This is one that has been used on the GS: http://www.mblinnovations.com/cruiser_locks.html

canam9
10-11-2010, 12:37 PM
I think this is the one you are looking for. http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_39&products_id=523 :ani29:

WaltH
10-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Doesn't the RT already have helmet locks under the seat?

murphybrown
10-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Doesn't the RT already have helmet locks under the seat?

Oh yea they are there, BUT no way will the helmet (and I have the BRP hybrid helmet) fit....I even had the dealer try and get it on there....must be the RT designer never communicated with the helmet designer...be nice if it did work...BUT :yikes: $120 (plus shipping) for the kewl but sure a lot easier, nicer than lugging helmet with. u

MarkLawson
10-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Seems that a 3" or 4" diameter loop of plastic coated thin cable could be looped through the helmet's D-ring and then over the helmet holder under the the saddle. That would act like an extension and would work perfectly. I'll see if I can find something suitable. If so, I'll post it.

sinkhole
10-11-2010, 03:59 PM
The kewlmetal locks work really well, and are easy to install.

NancysToy
10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Seems that a 3" or 4" diameter loop of plastic coated thin cable could be looped through the helmet's D-ring and then over the helmet holder under the the saddle. That would act like an extension and would work perfectly. I'll see if I can find something suitable. If so, I'll post it.
That works, so does a dogbone shaped cable. Doesn't even have to be plastic coated, but that's a nice addition. In a pinch, a long zip-tie, made into a loop, will work, too. The most expensive solution is a small, retractable cable lock...still far cheaper than the aftermarket helmet locks...plus no key to carry.

wyliec
10-11-2010, 04:32 PM

Something like this:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=motorcycle+helmet+d-ring+extension&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=motorcycle+helmet+d-ring+extension&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivs&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=NYKzTMm_HcTflgeP4OyMAg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDcQrQQwAA&fp=860ec2a17c64f67f

NancysToy
10-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Something like this:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=motorcycle+helmet+d-ring+extension&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=motorcycle+helmet+d-ring+extension&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivs&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=NYKzTMm_HcTflgeP4OyMAg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDcQrQQwAA&fp=860ec2a17c64f67f
These won't work on the RT. Whatever is used needs to be able to bend under the seat to the hook. There is no straight access.

Arthur---Mexico
10-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Don't sweat it fellows. Just go you your locol police station and you can get for free a locking cable with its key that can be used to "lock" a pistol. You feed the little cable through the gun's barrel and snap the lock closed. You can do the same thing tying your helement to any part of your bike and for free.
Helmet Arthur

Bob Denman
10-12-2010, 06:37 AM
:agree: ...tried it out last Friday and it's a winner! :ohyea:

johnnyg
10-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks Ijus order them JC

wcc002
12-04-2010, 10:54 AM
The Kewlmetal helmet locks (the pair for the RT) instructions say that the right adaptor is taller. I can see no difference in any of the parts to indicate to me which is for the left and which is for the right. I would like to install these now. Anybody able to explain this to me? And to anyone who has installed one on the right, did you have any trouble as noted possible in the instructions with the throttle spring? If there's any chance I'll mess anything up, I'll wait to get the throttle side done by my dealership. Suggestions, tips, recommendations needed?

mindman
12-04-2010, 11:03 AM
I have them installed on our RT, and the right side adapter (the adapters are black) is taller than the left. I had no problem at all installing them. No issue with throttle spring either.

gordo2050
12-05-2010, 02:42 AM
Go to the local cop shop, and ask for a free gun lock. Works like the prior suggestions of plastic straps, but a real lock.

Works on my Harley

Just a thought

Bob Denman
12-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Don't sweat it fellows. Just go you your locol police station and you can get for free a locking cable with its key that can be used to "lock" a pistol. You feed the little cable through the gun's barrel and snap the lock closed. You can do the same thing tying your helement to any part of your bike and for free.
Helmet Arthur
I've been fooling around with this idea, and it's not quite as good as I had hoped... You can push the lock in and it "unloops" itself off of that hook... :cus:
There needs to be some sort of keeper attached to it to keep that from happening. It's looking more and more like a D-ring on a short plastic coated piece of cable with a T handle at the other end is the best way to go...

Mad Matt
12-06-2010, 12:09 PM
The Kewlmetal helmet locks (the pair for the RT) instructions say that the right adaptor is taller. I can see no difference in any of the parts to indicate to me which is for the left and which is for the right. I would like to install these now. Anybody able to explain this to me? And to anyone who has installed one on the right, did you have any trouble as noted possible in the instructions with the throttle spring? If there's any chance I'll mess anything up, I'll wait to get the throttle side done by my dealership. Suggestions, tips, recommendations needed?

wcc002,

Just sent you an email. If you still have any questions, give me a call directly and I will make sure you get taken care of.

Matt
623-298-7835

clueless
12-06-2010, 05:48 PM
we use these: http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=27

http://www.pacsafe.com/media/product/product_image/normal/1953_27_1538_27_LidSafe_with_Anti-theft.jpg

lidsafe bags, waterproof and you can lock them to anything. we lock them to the foot rest brackets and then hang them on the handle bars.... rolls up medium sized when not in use.

got them from ebags online

the helmet locks on the RT under the seat suck. they are plastic tabs that will break under major use is my guess. just sad they didnt even look at the jap bikes which use a simple metal tab with a notch so you can easy hand the helmet and close seat. the RT design = FAIL.

Bob Denman
12-07-2010, 08:06 AM
:agree: I'm starting to look more and more for a license place backer with a couple of locks on the sides... :gaah: