PDA

View Full Version : darn trunk case and ease of installation revisited..

bone crusher
10-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Okay, so I have the BRP side bags...love them...figured it'd be nice to add on a trunk bag, either matching the millennium yellow or glossy black is fine...

I have the sport rack and I'm not sure I'm overly comfortable with drilling through the thing a bunch of times, but I realize that might be the only option?

I know a few threads were thrown around several months ago, but just curious on updates and if someone has a great trunk bag (hard with keys) option that is an EASY install onto the sport rack...so, it is stable, waterproof, and can be removed rather easily...

Thanks...

RShrimp
10-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I mounted a JC whitney top case on my sport rack center section by drilling holes in it. I had to space it up one inch to clear the little hump but now I can remove the thing along with the center of the rack. I purchased a second center section that can be clipped in when I dont want the trunk (which I have found is never)

bone crusher
10-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I mounted a JC whitney top case on my sport rack center section by drilling holes in it. I had to space it up one inch to clear the little hump but now I can remove the thing along with the center of the rack. I purchased a second center section that can be clipped in when I dont want the trunk (which I have found is never)

The JC Whitney is a 'generic' mount, but you're saying it works fine...this is good...is it easily removable...

Also, where did you get the extra center section for the sport rack...this would make the task easy if I knew I could replace these if I mess something up...

Thanks...

wyliec
10-08-2010, 10:17 PM
I have the givi e250 mount behind the BRP sport rack and backrest. Right now I have a gran tour bag (soft luggage). But, I'm thinking of a givi topcase.

A member here made a rack/mount that attaches to the BRP back rest; I didn't use his support. I have a bolt mounted rubber snubber under the rack. This set up eliminated any drilling.

bone crusher
10-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I have the givi e250 mount behind the BRP sport rack and backrest. Right now I have a gran tour bag (soft luggage). But, I'm thinking of a givi topcase.

A member here made a rack/mount that attaches to the BRP back rest; I didn't use his support. I have a bolt mounted rubber snubber under the rack. This set up eliminated any drilling.

Can you describe this more (or pics?)....actually, if we can get extra 'lids' for the sport rack, I don't mind drilling into one anyway...hmmm....

wyliec
10-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Can you describe this more (or pics?)....actually, if we can get extra 'lids' for the sport rack, I don't mind drilling into one anyway...hmmm....

I don't believe that you have the BRP backrest; so, pics. won't help. As for BRP offering the lid as a separate sale item, good luck. I tried to get a different piece for the sport rack that even had a p/n and they said I'd have to buy another sport rack to get the piece.

Roy's Bassets
10-09-2010, 09:14 AM
bone crusher

I have a black one already mounted to the sports rack., PM me with your email and I'll send a picture, don't need it any longer because I'm trailoring it on longer trips now. 65.00 + shipping, or 85 shipped.:ohyea:

Questions
10-09-2010, 01:46 PM
.Bought a used Givi V46 on Ebay had the panel painted to match the Millenium Yellow and purchased the Givi Rack for the Spyder. Not a difficult installation. Also bought three new locks so one key for all the luggage.

RShrimp
10-09-2010, 02:05 PM
The JC Whitney is a 'generic' mount, but you're saying it works fine...this is good...is it easily removable...

Also, where did you get the extra center section for the sport rack...this would make the task easy if I knew I could replace these if I mess something up...

Thanks...
It works great and I have less that $100 in the whole set up. I bought the extra center piece from someone on the board but a new one is only $70 from BRP so it is not a huge deal.
I thought I had pics of it in my album but I dont. It was so simple I guess I just skipped it. All you have to do is drill 4 holes in the BRP plate and mount the JCwhitney plate to it with the screws provided. You do need to add some kind of spacer (I used 2 pieces of 1x1 alum box tubing from Lowes) so it clears the little wings on the BRP Plate. If I want to loose the trunk, it is as easy as removing one BRP insert plate and installing the other (raise the seat and pull the knob)

The Jc whitney box is for sure not as pretty as the GIVI but it is lockable and water tight. If you need "pretty" then your gonna have to spend a bunch more money.