PDA

View Full Version : Best Warranty Question

Old Jack
10-07-2010, 07:06 PM
I am about to become the owner of a like new 2009 Spyder and I would like to read the Best Protection contract before I spend the dollars on the warranty extension.

I have searched the web and this forum and have yet to find a copy of the contract. I have seen the brochures but I would sure like to read a contract that I am about to play big dollars for before I go into the dealer. Anyone have a copy or know where I can find a copy, other than the dealers.

wyliec
10-07-2010, 07:23 PM
I am about to become the owner of a like new 2009 Spyder and I would like to read the Best Protection contract before I spend the dollars on the warranty extension.

I have searched the web and this forum and have yet to find a copy of the contract. I have seen the brochures but I would sure like to read a contract that I am about to play big dollars for before I go into the dealer. Anyone have a copy or know where I can find a copy, other than the dealers.

I could be wrong; but, when I purchased the BEST warranty I got the brochure, which indicates the coverage. I don't believe there is any thing else in writing that spells out what is and isn't covered.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.

fastfraser
10-07-2010, 07:33 PM
welcome I bought the B.E.S.T. warranty (1,150.00) 3 years + 2 years from BRP . It seems like a lot of money but there is a lot of high tech stuff on the bike and through in the computer and you have the potential for a huge repair bill . Some will be happy to take a chance but for me I think its money well spent .

Old Jack
10-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Wyliec

Thank you for you input, but being a past employee of a very large Computer Company, I have seen their contracts and some of the loopholes that can be use in their favour if for some reason they want out of a contract. BRP in my opinion would be asking for a lot of faith in them or their dealer chains if all they supply you with is the brochure. Although it sounds good, but and there is always a but…

Old Jack
10-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Fastfraser

I am not against the extended warranties and under stand the cost of after warranty parts being an ex BMW owner, just would like to read a copy if one exists.

By the way were did you purchase your warranty, I am in Kingston area and have be quoted more than you paid, there is no dealer here my choices are Ottawa or Toronto area.

ataDude
10-07-2010, 08:36 PM
There is a dealer/sponsor on this board who currently has the 3 addtional year BEST warranty for $974. Do a search for BEST on the General Board and I believe you will find it.

Aw, shucks... I did it for you. Click here:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23339

Fastfraser

I am not against the extended warranties and under stand the cost of after warranty parts being an ex BMW owner, just would like to read a copy if one exists.

By the way were did you purchase your warranty, I am in Kingston area and have be quoted more than you paid, there is no dealer here my choices are Ottawa or Toronto area.

billythekidd
10-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I am interested as well as to what the warranty covers. Is it an exact extension of the 2 year mfg. warranty or is is something else. Does anyone know where to find out.

Willy

Old Jack
10-07-2010, 09:12 PM
AtaDude

I am in Canada about 250 miles from the factory that manufactures the Spyder, that said, I got a quote yesterday for a three year extension on my bike and it was for $1449.00 for the three year standard Best Warranty ($1200.00 for two years from another dealer) . Remember the Canadian Dollar and the US Dollar are at par 1 for 1. Now that’s a bummer when you see the price on the US side.

I saw that link but the catch is that it is only available to a US owner.

Oh, I forgot in Canada they throw an additional provincial tax on that of 13%

See, why I would like to check out the fine print

Firefly
10-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I think my 3 year BEST warranty was $800 when I bought it with the bike back in 2008. I probably have the brochure somewhere, but the indication I got was it extends the factory warranty an additional 3 years AND adds free roadside service.

So from that aspect, perhaps looking at what the factory warranty covers would be the route to take. My understanding is it covers everything on the bike---'bumper to bumper' with the exception of wear items, general maintenance or user-damage... and there's a $50 deductible--- but many dealers waive that fee.

Some also have bought the BEST+ that includes some of the general maintenance work.

Since the DPS problems ended up as a recall, I believe even out of warranty Spyders are getting that work done for free, but other problems like an ECM going bad, cluster going bad, etc. would only be covered if you are under warranty...

For $300 a year it's a good price for piece of mind.

ataDude
10-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Gotcha. Didn't catch the Canadian address. :opps:

AtaDude

I am in Canada about 250 miles from the factory that manufactures the Spyder, that said, I got a quote yesterday for a three year extension on my bike and it was for $1449.00 for the three year standard Best Warranty ($1200.00 for two years from another dealer) . Remember the Canadian Dollar and the US Dollar are at par 1 for 1. Now that’s a bummer when you see the price on the US side.

I saw that link but the catch is that it is only available to a US owner.

Oh, I forgot in Canada they throw an additional provincial tax on that of 13%

See, why I would like to check out the fine print

millers1
10-08-2010, 11:18 AM
We never buy extended service plans or warrantees... but since the Spyder is a different beast and being a fairly new machine, we did get the BEST.

Got it through Bert's as others have suggested. Would have gotten it through our local dealer but the Berts had a significantly better price. All done through the mail and over the phone.

ameobe
10-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Here's the brochure (http://en-us.can-amatv.brp.com/owner-center/extended-service.aspx) pdf at the bottom which is all we received.

Bob Denman
10-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Gee... after looking at that brochure... Now you've got ME nervous! :shocked:

Firefly
10-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Gee... after looking at that brochure... Now you've got ME nervous! :shocked:

Why?

AWOOD
10-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Hello All,
This is Bryce from Bert's Mega Mall. I have a copy of the contract in PDF form of what it covers and what it does not. If you would like a copy of it you can e-mail me at bryce.page@bertsmegamall.com and I will e-mail it to you.
Have a great day!

GaryTheBadger
10-08-2010, 12:50 PM
I just went through this issue with my local dealership's service manager last week. All he could come up with is the brochure that's been posted earlier in this thread, which does not say whether the items covered are exactly the same as the original two-year warranty, or something less. It is clear there's a $50 deductable for each service. I will PM Awood for the actual contract.

Old Jack
10-08-2010, 12:52 PM
The purpose of the original post was not to get anyone nervous, I just like to read contracts. If you have ever bought an insurance policy in the past there is always the contract.

If I die they pay, "if they have a body", if you know what I mean.

By the way thanks Bryce , I just emailed you and I am looking forward to reading the fine print.

---------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Bryce for the .doc, read it over and I don't see a problem with it as long as the owner follows it closely, maintaining the bike.

It looks like the major components that can cost the big bucks are covered, and as expected the parts that tend to wear out, with time, are the responsibility of the owner.

I would however suggest that when a owner buys this extended warranty they get a copy of it, so they can refer back to it if required.

The color brochure is nice but it doesn't set the rules of engagement.

I will have no problem extending my warranty now.

AWOOD
10-08-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm glad that I could answer any questions anyone had out there. Every customer I sell the warranty to gets the important information on the contract as well as a packet of information I supply to them to help understand their warranty. Also, I am always here to help answer questions as well as your local dealership.

Have a great day everyone, and ride safe!!!!

GaryTheBadger
10-08-2010, 03:47 PM
I just received and read the contract. I see nothing to be concerned about. $50 deductable per instance, wear/maintanance/non-stock items not covered (lengthy specific list in the contract), improper use or care is not covered, have to buy it while under the original warranty, roadside assistance included, and so on. All standard stuff. Yes, there's room for subjectivity (such as those of us who do our own maintanance) but no different than any automobile extended warranty I've seen.