PDA

View Full Version : the new BMW K 1600

chris56
10-06-2010, 12:34 AM
together with BOSCH the adapted "our" VSS system with more features ..
would like all of them on my RT !!
http://ridethewildwind.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/the-bmw-k1600-gt-gtl-very-grand-tourers/

Raptor
10-06-2010, 01:19 AM
I'm betting that at the next major redesign that the :spyder2: will have some sort of selectable VSS on the top model.

AHHHHHH... Selectable VSS; don't tease me that way! :D

ataDude
10-06-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm betting that at the next major redesign that the :spyder2: will have some sort of selectable VSS on the top model.

I'll bet not.

When I had my Spyder, I was as an aggressive rider in the twisties as anyone, I suspect... certainly my nutty riding group thought I was ever nuttier in keeping up with them.

And the VSS saved my bacon more than just a few times. Without it, the Spyder would be a real widowmaker.

I personally wouldn't want a Spyder without the system... and I'll bet that the BRP lawyers will never, ever sell a selectable system for the street.

Just my $0.02.

Magic Man
10-06-2010, 11:46 AM
And the VSS saved my bacon more than just a few times. Without it, the Spyder would be a real widowmaker.

I personally wouldn't want a Spyder without the system... and I'll bet that the BRP lawyers will never, ever sell a selectable system for the street.

Just my $0.02.

:agree::agree::agree:

MM

ARtraveler
10-06-2010, 12:42 PM
:agree:me too! If my inseam were larger, I think I would want one of the new 1600's for my second bike.

boborgera
10-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Don't get it' :dontknow: Most people buy the Spyder for the safety features.
[Afraid to ride two wheelers]
Then they want to be able to disconnect those same safety features.

Firefly
10-06-2010, 01:14 PM
I'll bet not.

When I had my Spyder, I was as an aggressive rider in the twisties as anyone, I suspect... certainly my nutty riding group thought I was ever nuttier in keeping up with them.

Just my $0.02.

Good points, but they do have other products with 'selectable' levels of operation.... which may be where this idea has its roots.

My biggest beef is the VSS doesn't allow enough rear-wheel slippage when only going 25 mph(if you were reading MPH from the front wheels). It's embarrassing to exit a drive with some gravel--- hammer the throttle with the wheels at a bit of an angle and have the engine sputter.:gaah:

Other than that--- the nanny operating the front brakes, etc.-- NO PROBLEM-- I thank her often!:D

boborgera
10-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Good points, but they do have other products with 'selectable' levels of operation.... which may be where this idea has its roots.

My biggest beef is the VSS doesn't allow enough rear-wheel slippage when only going 25 mph(if you were reading MPH from the front wheels). It's embarrassing to exit a drive with some gravel--- hammer the throttle with the wheels at a bit of an angle and have the engine sputter.:gaah:

Other than that--- the nanny operating the front brakes, etc.-- NO PROBLEM-- I thank her often!:D

A few bikes have a Selectable switch, but that's only a power reducer.
Low/medium/high. To the rear wheel.
I think most people are looking for a power enhancer.:ohyea:

jnt
10-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Yum! Probly should wait a bit till it gets sorted out. Was true of the LT, too.

chris56
02-21-2011, 11:28 AM
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=43313

here in europe its 30% cheaper than a Goldwing .. if they would offer it with three wheels it would make me nervous ..

IWN2RYD
02-21-2011, 11:42 AM
I know I may not be in the majority on this... But it looks to me like the touring segment is getting hot and 2013-2014 may be when touring bikes take the front row seat instead of street bikes...

Personally I am very pleased that so many companies are FINALLY seeing the touring market for what it is. Much larger, and they are listening to the ryders. Just MHO...

What I mean is... The Touring market looks to finally be seen as a full blown individual market instead of a segment of another.

And oh my... 6 cylinder in that BMW!... I bet that purrs... The only complaint my wife has is the vibration on the RS and all of it is from the 2 cylinder engine...

WackyDan
02-21-2011, 01:35 PM
I tell you what... The nanny saved my bacon on Friday when I went for my first long ride in forever. I knew there was a tight S bend coming up somewhere and totally fudged knowing where it was and my entry angle and speed was wrong... The nanny kept me in control... Thank you again nanny.

I would love an adjustable VSS... One that has a rain mode, one that has a regular touring mode, and another setting for twisties.

Like Firefly, if BRP could be a little more lenient on acceleration out of turns, the Spyder would be a lot more fun in the twisties or 4 way stop for that matter. They could be a bit more lenient and still have the bike be safe.

Bob Denman
02-21-2011, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE=ataDude;254419]
QUOTE]
You've got to figure that the lawyers will have a lot to say about what features get added or removed from any redesign of our Spyders. :cus:
Let's face it; most of us would set it to the least obtrusive setting and then complain like the dickens when we got pitched off in the twisties... I've thought about this a lot and have finally decided that my Nanny is the good witch Glinda.

SilverSurfer
02-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Slap an SE5 (or SE6) on her and it would be magic

bikeguy
02-22-2011, 01:41 AM
:agree:me too! If my inseam were larger, I think I would want one of the new 1600's for my second bike.

I have the exact same problem, my inseam just isn't long enough, but I'd love to ride one. Silky smooth and tons of power. Don't get much better.

Cotton

docdoru
02-22-2011, 06:46 AM

Just my $0.02.
:thumbup:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/10-1-201011-29-50AM-1.png?t=1298375116

Bob Denman
02-22-2011, 07:57 AM
:shocked:

chris56
04-04-2011, 05:01 AM
had the chance to get a test-machine over the weekend ..
found out i NEVER would change back to a 2-wheeler much too heavy and no return-gear ??? who should handle that on a tour ...
price is between spyder RS/RT ..electronic and displays are much better than on our RT - also the soundsystem - engine = 6-zylinder 160HP - but my RT is strong enough for me - the fuelconsumation (150mls) was around 15% better than mine ...
last - my friend will not order one - but he still likes 2-wheels (KTM/BMW)
(love my spider twice now)

GeminiJane
04-04-2011, 08:23 PM
I have the exact same problem, my inseam just isn't long enough, but I'd love to ride one. Silky smooth and tons of power. Don't get much better.

Cotton

As a small woman with short legs but BIG riding dreams, I moan every time another great bike like the BMW comes out - too tall, too heavy for me to safely ride. But you might take a look at the new Ducati Diavel if you're dreaming of a smooth, powerful bike. I've got one on order and my husband just test rode our dealer's demo model (I'm sidelined with a broken leg right now so I couldn't do the ride) but almost everyone has given it rave reviews AND it's shorter and lighter with the variable riding modes- my new favorite 2 wheeler. (But the Spyder will always have a special place in my heart and garage since it will be waiting for me the minute the doctor lets me even think about putting the heel of my cast on the brake pedal! :clap:)