PDA

View Full Version : Black side panels for Givi sidebags (question)

gpthree
10-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Why are there black side panels if the bags are already black?

groundeffect
10-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Why are there black side panels if the bags are already black?

If these are the bags you are referring to, the reasons for the panels are below:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=635&pictureid=12494

The panels, which ever color, are required - the panels have to be installed to do a few things:
1. Cover holes in the bag so there are no leaks - these holes are where screws need to be installed from the inside out which are pre-drilled to hold the color matching panels on the bags. If the panels are not installed, you will get water through these screw holes.

2. The panels also hold the rear reflector panels at the end of each bag. If the panels are not installed, the rear deflector will not stay on.

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

musicarcade
10-04-2010, 01:51 PM
To hold the reflector onnojoke
plus it provides a nice finish to the bags.
Should be included instead of a $120 accessory to your accessory.

gpthree
10-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the info.

I understand color panels have to be held on some kind of way but to make a black accessory for a black item is kind of lame, especially at an extra $120.

NancysToy
10-04-2010, 05:20 PM
The Givi bags are unfinished at the top. The top panels are sold separately to make it easier to order the correct color, or black if you prefer. BRP could probably have just set the price $120 higher, and included the panels, but it would have been an ordering nightmare. Cost is the same in the end, it just looks like you are paying more because the parts are separate. If the racks were separate, it would be even more confusing.

ArmyJoe
10-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Here's a pic without the panels:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=844&pictureid=12495

My yellow panels were out of stock when I installed the bags, so I just "run what I brung."

The funny thing is that I didn't know there were reflectors, too. I just checked the bag box and found them (they don't ship with the panels). Good thing I didn't throw away the boxes yet.

ETA: All fixed, now.

bone crusher
10-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Here's a pic without the panels:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=844&pictureid=12495

My yellow panels were out of stock when I installed the bags, so I just "run what I brung."

The funny thing is that I didn't know there were reflectors, too. I just checked the bag box and found them (they don't ship with the panels). Good thing I didn't throw away the boxes yet.

ETA: All fixed, now.

Careful with the reflectors as they'll fall off. I used some crazy glue to really get them to adhere...I found that with time, the adhesive backing comes loose...you'll end up losing the reflectors unless you really glue them down...

groundeffect
10-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Careful with the reflectors as they'll fall off. I used some crazy glue to really get them to adhere...I found that with time, the adhesive backing comes loose...you'll end up losing the reflectors unless you really glue them down...

... Is that even with the panels installed, or when they are not installed like the image above?

thank you.

bone crusher
10-05-2010, 09:23 PM
... Is that even with the panels installed, or when they are not installed like the image above?

thank you.

I have the panels installed (yellow)...doesn't matter. I found that the adhesive on the reflectors is quite weak...they were loose and falling off. In fact, one was on the floor in my garage when I was doing a walk-around one time.

I got crazy glue (or a glue like it), applied it to the back of the reflectors...and now they're not going anywhere.

I'm sure they were installed properly, but the adhesive, at least in my case, was not sticking too well...if you go to your reflectors and can move them a little with just some hand pressure, you'll probably want to glue them on more!

groundeffect
10-06-2010, 06:06 AM
Appreciate the reply, thanks! I'll investigate mine this evening.

I have the panels installed (yellow)...doesn't matter. I found that the adhesive on the reflectors is quite weak...they were loose and falling off. In fact, one was on the floor in my garage when I was doing a walk-around one time.

I got crazy glue (or a glue like it), applied it to the back of the reflectors...and now they're not going anywhere.

I'm sure they were installed properly, but the adhesive, at least in my case, was not sticking too well...if you go to your reflectors and can move them a little with just some hand pressure, you'll probably want to glue them on more!

docdoru
10-06-2010, 06:47 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/10-6-20107-43-19AM.png?t=1286365597 :2thumbs:

Eraser
10-06-2010, 08:10 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/10-6-20107-43-19AM.png?t=1286365597 :2thumbs:
Hooligan!!!