PDA

View Full Version : Stopped at Cowtown

WaltH
10-02-2010, 08:14 PM
I just returned home from doing Old Route 66 with HOG (Harley Owner’s Group). There were more than 360 Harley riders and one Spyder rider. For me, the ride was 6,950 miles and 26 days. On the way home I made an unexpected side trip to Englewood, Colorado to visit my daughter and grandson. This added some extra miles to the trip.

Old Route 66 runs right through Cuba, Missouri, so on the way out I stopped at Cowtown just to say “hello”. Len and I talked about the possibility of my getting a 2011 RT. Of course, I must first decide exactly what it is that I would want. On the return home from Colorado, I was on Interstate 70 through Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri. This made it easy for me to stop once again at Cowtown to get some overdue service on my 2009 GS. The Service Department took me in on very short notice and did everything I wanted done. Len was not there this time, but his father, Rick (Ricky?), knew who I was. He told me the 2011 Limited Edition in white would not be available until March. Hopefully, this would still permit delivery at the 2011 Spyder Fest (end of April). I don’t know yet if this would be my choice. Cowtown has six of the Limited Edition units pre-ordered. It is not certain they will actually get all six. If I want one of these, it would seem wise for me to make my deal with Len very soon.

Regardless of which RT I choose, it is my intention to keep my 2009 GS. I was very lucky with this one. It has been nearly flawless for almost 75,000 miles. The new RT would be used for touring and the old GS would be used for cruising. This would prolong the life of the new RT.

In preparation for my discussions with Len, I intend to ask Missouri Gene to coach me on the art of the deal. His creative writing skills are greater than mine. :2thumbs:

Trickie Dick
10-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Hope you had a great trip. IrishtotheMax,RTgene(the negotiator) and I started our route 66 trip from Cowtown last May. Did about the same miles and also stopped in Denver to see my son. It was a great time wasn't it.

irish2themax
10-03-2010, 07:44 AM
:congrats: on completing your trip

My mileage on the May trip was 7,764 but I only rode the Spyder for 5,791 of it. I trailered the Spyder from Martinsburg WV to Missouri and back.

Great trip isn't it?!!

Good luck with the new RT...hope it's as reliable as your current :spyder2:

WaltH
10-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Route 66 actually begins in downtown Chicago at the Lake Michigan shore. It ends in Santa Monica California at the Pacific ocean. I think this is about 2,300 miles. The HOG base camp was in Tinley Park Illinois, just outside of Chicago. Since I live in one extreme corner of the United States, I rode about 1,700 miles just to get to the start of the official ride. This included a small side trip to Milwaukee to visit my brother.

HOG did route 66 three times; 1996, 2001, and 2010. I rode with them each time. The first two rides were on an Electric Glide and a Road King. The third time was on the Spyder.

My first trip down route 66, from one end to the other and back again, was in 1956, before the interstate system. My buddy and I decided to go to California on the spur of the moment. We were living in Milwaukee at the time.

Over the years, I have done many wondeful rides, but it is hard to beat route 66.

pitbull
10-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Route 66 actually begins in downtown Chicago at the Lake Michigan shore. It ends in Santa Monica California at the Pacific ocean. I think this is about 2,300 miles. The HOG base camp was in Tinley Park Illinois, just outside of Chicago. Since I live in one extreme corner of the United States, I rode about 1,700 miles just to get to the start of the official ride. This included a small side trip to Milwaukee to visit my brother.

HOG did route 66 three times; 1996, 2001, and 2010. I rode with them each time. The first two rides were on an Electric Glide and a Road King. The third time was on the Spyder.

My first trip down route 66, from one end to the other and back again, was in 1956, before the interstate system. My buddy and I decided to go to California on the spur of the moment. We were living in Milwaukee at the time.

Over the years, I have done many wondeful rides, but it is hard to beat route 66.

Walter, so sorry I missed you my friend it's always great to see you walk through the door, guess I was setting on my butt some where taking a nap lol. Any ways no worries whatever you want when you want it I will do my absoulte best to have it there and ready for you! It would be my honor to get to work for you on this one. To have you covering the country to and frow, on a bike from our the store would mean alot. So my friend I will dot I's and cross t's to make this work for you. All the spyderlovers are special customers to us, and love it when you get a ridder on a bike.... We have alot of them from our store, we are more than just lucky we are blessed to be part of such a great group!!! Thanks Walter looking very forward for the oppertunity to partener with you.

BumbleBee
10-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Sorry we missed you, but we didn't know you were going to be there. Some of us are only 45 miles from CowTown, wished we had known :(