PDA

View Full Version : Contacting Carlo at BRP question..

wyliec
10-01-2010, 04:21 PM
I have contacted Carlo a few times by e-mail and never received the response below that I received today. I'm talking where he says to have your dealer contact BRP directly.

Thank you for taking the time to write to BRP. I or one of my colleagues will be happy to respond to your email. In the meantime, if your request concerns a technical issue affecting your Can-Am Spyder roadster, I recommend that you have your authorized Can-Am Spyder dealership contact BRP directly for increased efficiency of the service. Please make sure that you have included the complete serial number of your roadster as well as a telephone number where we can reach you during the day, and the name of your authorized Can-Am Spyder dealership if applicable, in order to ensure a faster response.
Once again, thank you for contacting BRP and for your support of the Can-Am Spyder roadster. If you wish to follow-up on your request in person, you may reach us on the toll free Spyder Owners line at 1-888-864-2002.
Carlo
BRP After-sales support
Canada and USA

What's up with that?

spyryder
10-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Carlo's on holidays:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23192

wyliec
10-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Carlo's on holidays:

I'm hoping that's what it means. However, I did contact my dealer about the vent tube extension kit mentioned in another post. My dealer knows nothing about it. I also asked Carlo if there is a service bulletin that cross references the kit, so I can give that to the dealer to look up.

spyryder
10-01-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm hoping that's what it means. However, I did contact my dealer about the vent tube extension kit mentioned in another post. My dealer knows nothing about it. I also asked Carlo if there is a service bulletin that cross references the kit, so I can give that to the dealer to look up.

I just happen to have a list of the parts needed, and a reference pic:

#23, 293650047 Oetiker Clamp
#25, 709000277 Formed Hose
#30, 513033412 Tubing
#46, 293720087 Grommet

Firefly
10-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Your dealer is either lazy or inept---- This has been a well-known part of the 'second' update for a long time now.

SpyderWolf
10-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I have a feeling this is his out of the office auto reply message from his email account. Hopefully he will get in touch with you when he returns from vacation.

In the meantime, ask your dealer to look at the Engine Performance Service Bulletin that came out around October or November of last year. The main purpose of it was to fix the surging condition some Spyders experienced between 3,500 and 4,000 RPM, but I believe they also threw the vent tube extension on the same one. They should be able to look at all of the service bulletins, or warranty campaigns as that is another name I have heard them called by, and find out what needs to be done for the extension.

Spyryder's posted parts list may help as well.

wyliec
10-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Your dealer is either lazy or inept---- This has been a well-known part of the 'second' update for a long time now.

I'm wondering why BRP tied this vent tube extension pretty much to those who had a complaint of surging, sputtering and what not instead of to all spyders (at that time). In any case that is something I'll ask Carlo.

spyryder
10-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Here's the update notice from BRP's website on 9/28/2009:

http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/Community/News-Detail.html?ArticleID=fb85b365-84b8-4256-9294-4d14e8a6b5ae

wyliec
10-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Here's the update notice from BRP's website on 9/28/2009:

http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/Community/News-Detail.html?ArticleID=fb85b365-84b8-4256-9294-4d14e8a6b5ae

Thanks. But, it basically states the update (including vent tube extension) was only for those spyders that had the surging problem.

boborgera
10-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm wondering why BRP tied this vent tube extension pretty much to those who had a complaint of surging, sputtering and what not instead of to all spyders (at that time). In any case that is something I'll ask Carlo.

Maybe if they changed the vent on all Spyders they would have to explain why.:opps: And then have another safety recall on their hands.:dontknow:

spyryder
10-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks. But, it basically states the update (including vent tube extension) was only for those spyders that had the surging problem.

Yes, that's what it was for. Mine has only had the 1st update as well, because it ran ok afterwards, so I've still got the short hose, which needs to be extended just like all of the newer ones. I'll probably just add some fuel line hose to the one that's already there.....instead of wasting a day hauling it off to the dealer.
At least I haven't smelled any raw gas since that 1st update.:pray:

Once this is all behind us, we can get back to the squeaky brakes!:D

NancysToy
10-02-2010, 07:08 AM
Nancy's RS had the second update performed as soon as they finished the steering recall update. It exhibited no surging...it wasn't even ridden. It did have a history of complaints about gas smell. Her serial number was on the list in the bulletin for the vent hose extension. Have your dealer pull the appropriate bulletin, and look for your serial number, if it does not come up on their computer.

Maybe if they changed the vent on all Spyders they would have to explain why.:opps: And then have another safety recall on their hands.:dontknow:
Every recall BRP has done has been voluntary. That means it was initiated by BRP. In fact, most were reported by BRP, with no complaints filed at NHTSA at the time of filing. I believe it would be best for this to be a recall, too, even if it is just a possibility of being a cause for fires, but let's not throw rocks at BRP because they approached it another way. They have stepped up to the plate several time previously. No reason to imply that they would need to be forced to do so.

wyliec
10-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Nancy's RS had the second update performed as soon as they finished the steering recall update. It exhibited no surging...it wasn't even ridden. It did have a history of complaints about gas smell. Her serial number was on the list in the bulletin for the vent hose extension. Have your dealer pull the appropriate bulletin, and look for your serial number, if it does not come up on their computer.

Every recall BRP has done has been voluntary. That means it was initiated by BRP. In fact, most were reported by BRP, with no complaints filed at NHTSA at the time of filing. I believe it would be best for this to be a recall, too, even if it is just a possibility of being a cause for fires, but let's not throw rocks at BRP because they approached it another way. They have stepped up to the plate several time previously. No reason to imply that they would need to be forced to do so.

Scotty,

This is what I had a problem understanding last year about the serial number as they related to those having a performance issue. What was the s/n break based on? I believe, but could be wrong, those having a spyder performance issue was due to some performance add-ons. And, if that is the case, a s/n break makes no sense since BRP has no idea what an owner may have installed. Just curious.

kentompkins
10-02-2010, 08:04 AM
My bike is mostly stock; what accessories I have added do not affect the engine or electronics (e.g., 4" risers, Corbin seat and Saddlebags, etc.).

I had no problems with hesitation/surging until I had the first upgrade done. Once it occurred I contacted a dealer and they were baffled and were never able to fix it.

Once the second upgrade was made available, I had it done at Gatlinburg last year. It helped but didn't fix it. I assume my bike's serial number was on the list because I had been to the dealer at least twice about the problem.

As recently as six weeks ago, a dealer looked at the problem -- which is much diminished but still noticeable especially when the outside temperature is hot.

One of the problems diagnosing this problem is that NO error codes are thrown. BRP tried, in my opinion, to address this problem but because bikes are different, mileages are different, weather conditions are different and drivers are different without error codes it is close to impossible to determine the cause.

I can live with it now and have no intentions of pushing dealers to work on the problem.

ken tompkins

NancysToy
10-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Scotty,

This is what I had a problem understanding last year about the serial number as they related to those having a performance issue. What was the s/n break based on? I believe, but could be wrong, those having a spyder performance issue was due to some performance add-ons. And, if that is the case, a s/n break makes no sense since BRP has no idea what an owner may have installed. Just curious.
There was a lot of confusion about this. Some was caused by dealers who blamed modifications, when the first update was actually responsible for the sudden appearance of surging in some machines. The initial response from BRP tech was the same, which is why the second update (and hose extension) was delayed. The modified machines ran leaner, and did magnify the surging problem. I don't remember the exact details, which is why you should have the dealer show you the actual service bulletin. My understanding was that all machines were on the list if they were produced before the extended vent hoses began to be installed at the factory. The hose is easy to extend, if you prefer to do it yourself. If mine didn't have the extension, I would sure make certain it was done.

Firefly
10-02-2010, 11:04 AM

Many have wondered the same thing---- I doubt you'll get a clear answer on it.....

:popcorn:

SpyderWolf
10-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Many have wondered the same thing---- I doubt you'll get a clear answer on it.....

:popcorn:

I remember I almost had to beg the dealer to perform this on my Spyder, as the service department manager kept saying my VIN was not on the list. I was finally able to look at the bulletin, and figured out he was reading it incorrectly so they did the update. :dontknow:

I think at this point, if it hasn't been done you should be able to tell them to get it done.

Sarge707
10-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Yes, that's what it was for. Mine has only had the 1st update as well, because it ran ok afterwards, so I've still got the short hose, which needs to be extended just like all of the newer ones. I'll probably just add some fuel line hose to the one that's already there.....instead of wasting a day hauling it off to the dealer.
At least I haven't smelled any raw gas since that 1st update.:pray:

Once this is all behind us, we can get back to the squeaky brakes!:D
I have not had surging or ANY gas smell but did a simple procedure so the hose does not drop on the pipe.

If you look at the hose its in the 6 O,clock position SO I bent it Forward to the right front to the 2 O,clock position and zip tied it to the hose going to the carb so the hose now exits over the right front of the cannister and if any fuel dropped out it would drop on the front right of the cannister not the Pipe !

I never top the tank off because I have no need to.

boborgera
10-02-2010, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=NancysToy;253257]

Every recall BRP has done has been voluntary.

That's just Semantic,If they didn't do it voluntary,then The Feds would make them do it do it mandatory, at greater cost.[bad press]
Even most Auto company's label their recalls voluntary.
Or risk bad press. Some try to fight it. [Toyota?]????

NancysToy
10-02-2010, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=NancysToy;253257]

Every recall BRP has done has been voluntary.

That's just Semantic,If they didn't do it voluntary,then The Feds would make them do it do it mandatory, at greater cost.[bad press]
Even most Auto company's label their recalls voluntary.
Or risk bad press. Some try to fight it. [Toyota?]????
Actually, virtually all recalls are voluntary. The NHTSA seldom flexes it muscles...if they have any. Poor choice of words on my part. The BRP recalls were initiated by BRP, not "suggested" by NHTSA as a result of complaints or investigation. I think that puts BRP ahead of the game. Others can form their own opinions.

spydrn
10-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Carlo's on holidays:

Dont worry all spyder lovers.. Carlo is only on vacation...I had another BRP rep contact me the other about my spyder situation...So far BRP is helped me customer service has helped out TREMENDOUSLY!!There awesome!!