PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tire Options

DragonSpyder
10-01-2010, 09:51 AM
I am looking for rear tire options others have tried. I found a few searching on this site but not much in the way of feedback.

At 18K miles my 3rd tire is toast. The first 2 were stock tires and the last one was a Toyo. All lasted about 6K miles.

The Toyo was lighter by 2Lbs, had similar traction, a stiffer sidewall and it rides a ton smoother than stock, especially with a passenger. Even with an extra 8Lbs of air in the tire.

When the Toyo was new I noticed the Spyder tended to wander a bit more than with the stock tire. I upped the pressure to 35Lbs and it was better but not quite the same. After riding for many miles I noticed the wandering either got better or I got used to it.

So, I'm looking for others that have tried other tires and can comment on ride, traction, handling, wear, etc.. At this point I am targeting another Toyo but want to consider all my options first. Thanks!

SpyderWolf
10-01-2010, 10:29 AM
I am looking for rear tire options others have tried. I found a few searching on this site but not much in the way of feedback.

At 18K miles my 3rd tire is toast. The first 2 were stock tires and the last one was a Toyo. All lasted about 6K miles.

The Toyo was lighter by 2Lbs, had similar traction, a stiffer sidewall and it rides a ton smoother than stock, especially with a passenger. Even with an extra 8Lbs of air in the tire.

When the Toyo was new I noticed the Spyder tended to wander a bit more than with the stock tire. I upped the pressure to 35Lbs and it was better but not quite the same. After riding for many miles I noticed the wandering either got better or I got used to it.

So, I'm looking for others that have tried other tires and can comment on ride, traction, handling, wear, etc.. At this point I am targeting another Toyo but want to consider all my options first. Thanks!

I am running the BF Goodrich g-Force Sport on mine and am very happy with it. I put Ride-On in it, and removed the wheel weights, and am running 30 pounds of pressure in it. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the tire. I have ridden a tiny bit in the rain with it, and have not hydroplaned at all; however, there may not have been enough standing water on the road to cause a hydroplane in the first place. It is rated the highest for traction, and temperature, but the Spyder is still too heavy to get the front wheels off the ground with it. I can smoke it with my SE5 with no problems at all, and that may not be what you are looking for. I bought it in the stock size from Tire Kingdom for $117 and some change.

If you have any specific questions about this tire, let me know and I will try to answer them.

Texmac1011
10-01-2010, 02:38 PM
I run a Kuhmo Ecsta and have been very happy with it. $80 delivered to my door. Search Kuhmo in the forum. You will find plenty of info.

Dudley
10-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I run a Kuhmo Ecsta and have been very happy with it. $80 delivered to my door. Search Kuhmo in the forum. You will find plenty of info.

Same here.:2thumbs:

Lone Spyder Ryder
10-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I ran a Kuhmo Ecsta and have been very happy with it. $75 at tire store. I had 11000 on the OME tire when I changed to Kuhmo the spyder had 25400 on it when the spyder died. I had completed the IBA Saddle Sore 1000 miles in under 24 hours and the Bun Burner Gold 1500 miles in under 24 hours. Those were hard fast rides. Extreme rain in Portland, Or and Seattle, Wa. fishtailed some but nanny took care of it. Scared the @_#$* out of me. The Kuhmo tire had a lot of tread left when the spyder went up in somke. I would highly recommend this tire.:2thumbs:

Raptor
10-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Here is what is available from The Tire Rack. I like the Goodrich but I'm leaning toward the Yokohama because I can get that tire front and back.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

Yup, I'm going Yoko as well. The AVS EV-100. Looks to be a great tire! I have had Yokos before on my Camaros and have never been disappointed. That Goodrich slick looks SICK! But it's too late in the season for that puppy!

I must say the Dunlop looks very tasty also. But I like the idea of matching rear to front, which is why I'm going Yokohama.

DragonSpyder
10-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Has anyone tried a different size on the stock rim? I don't know much about tires but I really like the look of this Hoosier. It's a 225/55/15.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hoosier&tireModel=Radial+Wet&partnum=255HR5WET&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Pincushion
10-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I am also running the Kuhmo Ecsta, I have about 1000 miles on it, so far so good!

WackyDan
10-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Has anyone tried a different size on the stock rim? I don't know much about tires but I really like the look of this Hoosier. It's a 225/55/15.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hoosier&tireModel=Radial+Wet&partnum=255HR5WET&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

You have to be careful about sizes and make sure you maintain the right ratio/diameter... or the Speed sensor on that wheel will throw the nanny into fits or limp mode.

WackyDan
10-01-2010, 06:48 PM
I just put the Kumho on at 10.5K.... I've run it about 1800 miles so far.

Paid $70 delivered.

It seems to be about the same in standing water as the stock Kenda. I tested out the hydroplaning on the way back from SITS.

Wet traction seems noticeably loose compared to the Kenda.
Dry traction is worse.

Now, if you are pretty sedate rider, none of those observations will mean anything and you will not notice any difference between the Kenda and the Kuhmo except for the higher mileage potential.

I'm still tinkering with the pressure int he Kuhmo. I was running 30PSI with both side bags and top case packed...Rode great, but I think I still might have been on the hard side. At SITS, I rode without my bags, and the absence of that weight made the Kuhmo too hard and ride high in the center. I found the Kuhmo to be too greasy on the Dragon, and after spinning it up once, noticed that without my bags I was not riding the full width of the tire... leaving about 1/2 inch on each side not in regular contact with the road. I let some air out for the return ride home, but have not had a chance to test ride it in dry conditions or check for wear.

RShrimp
10-01-2010, 07:28 PM
The Yokohama ES100's while still available have been discontinued.
I have a set of 3 in the shop that I will be putting on soon.
(185/60's for the front)

My point is: if you want them you might better get em while you can.....

ataDude
10-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the info. :thumbup: I just ordered a set from the Tire Rack so they are now down to just 8 for the rear. Heck the tires have to come off when I get the wheels powder coated anyway so I might as well have better tires installed when they go back together. :ohyea:

Make sure you have the powdercoater mask off all bearing races and the right side flat where the hub bolts on.

Just my experience. :gaah:

altonk
10-02-2010, 12:51 AM
hankooks ventus r3 225/45 r15

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+R-S3&partnum=245WR5Z222&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes