PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on ACCESSORIES

Rider Steve
09-29-2010, 08:27 PM
What do you think of all these after market ACCESSORIES items for sale for Can Am products?

My thoughts are... I've never seen such high prices in my life. :yikes: So glad I'm not an ACCESSORIES freak. I'm truly LMAO at many of these prices.

BLACK WIDOW
09-29-2010, 08:33 PM
What do you think of all these after market ACCESSORIES items for sale for Can Am products?

My thoughts are... I've never seen such high prices in my life. :yikes: So glad I'm not an ACCESSORIES freak. I'm truly LMAO at many of these prices.

My Goldwing was worse:doorag:

2009 SM5 Yellow My Mods http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/userfield_edit.gif (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/#) *BRP sports rack, *BRP backrest, *BRP touring seat, *BRP fog lights, * BRP caliper trim,*CHAD windshield, *Kury handle bar inserts, *Kury hand grips,* KewlMetal mirror extensions,*4"riser, *Mud flap lights/flashers, *Fender tip light conversion/flashers, *Juice Box, *Hindle exhaust, *Passenger peg extensions, *Kewlmetal highway brackets and *Kury wings, *custom pin striping and *spyder graphics, *trunk liner, *12 volt power outlet, *trunk release spring, *seat release spring, *Triple Play, *BRP Givi rigid bags, * ESI Rigid Bag Lights, *Gas tank ventilation mod, *ESI LED tail/brake lights, *ESI LED signal lights, *Double play,*Toyo T1R rear tire, *Cam Am Spyder license tag frame, *ESI performance air Filter (Green) * BRP Prumium Graphic Package.* Evoluzione performance sway bar,* Day Runners, * Air Dam Mod. * Brightsides * Hyper Bright lights; Still in process <LI class=profilefield_category>Signature

dave01
09-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Quality costs. I have tried some ebay quality aftermarket products that died/fell apart not long after install. Back to good stuff for me. The cool thing is you can do all things at your own pace and not go crazy, all at once. Or some people can:opps:

carny bill
09-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Rider Steve...I am new at this but I could not agree with U more.

I find it totally assinine the pricing for these accessories, I can buy accessories for my vett cheaper than these babies.

Mine will probably stay pretty much stock unless I can do the mod's myself.

SpyderWolf
09-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Sorry, but I don't know anything about accessories at all. :D

SpyderWolf
09-29-2010, 08:50 PM

I find it totally assinine the pricing for these accessories, I can buy accessories for my vett cheaper than these babies.

welcome Carny Bill.

Just like with anything else, you can find bargains every once in a while. Many times it is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. :thumbup:

WackyDan
09-29-2010, 09:11 PM
They will charge what the market will tolerate. Prices would be lower if the product wasn't selling as well.

The more vendors embrace the Spyder, the lower the costs. On the other hand, the more margin that the current vendors have in their products, the more likely they are to develop more great products... Catch 22.

ataDude
09-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Just my $0.02... but volume of machines and percentage of purchasers have a lot to do with prices.

Someone mentioned Vettes... there have been approximately 50,000 made each year (give or take a few thousand) since the 1950's. In the Spyder's case, there are approximately 16,000 - 20,000 total in the world... in almost three model years.

Most motorcycle accessories are small volume... both in terms of manufacturing batches and sales. Cost savings for mass production generally are not available for m/c accessories... except for maybe Harleys (200,000 + per year)... and even those are limited compared to a Chevy.

Raptor
09-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Just my $0.02... but volume of machines and percentage of purchasers have a lot to do with prices.

Someone mentioned Vettes... there have been approximately 50,000 made each year (give or take a few thousand) since the 1950's. In the Spyder's case, there are approximately 16,000 - 20,000 total in the world... in almost three model years.

Most motorcycle accessories are small volume... both in terms of manufacturing batches and sales. Cost savings for mass production generally are not available for m/c accessories... except for maybe Harleys (200,000 + per year)... and even those are limited compared to a Chevy.

I would say that it is a very good point. The more market saturation that occurs the volume of accessories that are sold increases and so on. Now does that mean that the same piece will cost less a year from now? Hardly. But quality of the products that follow will be better and competitavely priced. If they are not, they will not sell.

I myself am not a huge fan of these asthetic type products because I think they are in fact over priced, taking advantage of a new and upcoming market. They have set the bar very high straight away. It's not that I don't like them; I like many of them. I'm just not going to pay those kinds of prices. So I pretty much stay away. If it does not make the bike perform better, it does not go on the bike. But that is just me and my warped thinking! :D

billythekidd
09-29-2010, 09:57 PM
I think that they are all out of control. My Wings were crazy as far as Honda Acc. went, the Victory Vision just made me laugh, even though I did buy a few of the Victory Acc... and a good friend who has a Harley says HD stands for Hundred Dollars, because nothing costs less than a hundred dollars. The Spyder is the same, however, when I get mine I really would like a front hand brake. I just hope someone comes out with one that isn't 1250. Not saying it isn't worth it or quality or anything like that just seems very high to me. When I see the electronic transmission is 1500, the hand brake seems out of line. I would like to see the cost to build vs the price on all accs. like they do for Apple. ie, the 149$ 6gb Ipod, costs Apple 49$ to make... Just me...

Willy

Rider Steve
09-29-2010, 09:57 PM

I'm with you on that one. These people want to box people in cause they are the only ones making certain accessories. $3000.00+ floor boards cause you can? :roflblack:

boborgera
09-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Two thing's
1= Power sports Accessories are low volume luxury items.[toys]
And in most cases those items will sit on a dealers or manufactures shelf 3/6 months out of a year.
2= If you cant justify the cost don't buy it.
Don't forget a lot of R and D goes into making Accessories for the Spyder.

Justin
09-29-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm with you on that one. These people want to box people in cause they are the only ones making certain accessories. $3000.00+ floor boards cause you can? :roflblack:

This is one of the worst examples of overpriced. For the cost they look very cheap. They use rain gutter for vents and skateboard tape for foot grips.

Pincushion
09-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Two thing's
1= Power sports Accessories are low volume luxury items.[toys]
And in most cases those items will sit on a dealers or manufactures shelf 3/6 months out of a year.
I agree 100%
Plus it cause me to a little more selective when I buy something.
I make sure I really need it before I spend the money, if things were cheaper I would impulse buy....and that's never good for me!

Bob Denman
09-30-2010, 06:57 AM
It comes down to how willing you are to pay for a product that might help you "personalize" your ride... If you've ever been to a bike rally... (Americade in my case...), the most unique bike there is one that has no customization! :shocked:
so what are you willing to pay to make your bike look different from the guy's down the street? What are you willing to pay to improve your bike's performance or functionality?

pjp623
09-30-2010, 07:28 AM
:gaah: I have to disagree with most of the previous post and follow the old adage "you get what you pay for". I know for my part, the mods that I have chosen to add to my Spyder are all pretty much custom made to fit it and that's what I'm paying for along with the very high quality of each item. No, I can't do it all at once, so I try to concentrate on one a month when possible and that's part of the fun. :ohyea:

retired1
09-30-2010, 08:06 AM
billythekidd;
I'm not trying to hijaack the thread, but other members have made manual hand brake conversions for much less money. You should be able to find one through the "search' feature.

Eraser
09-30-2010, 08:13 AM

Bingo!

dave01
09-30-2010, 08:16 AM
I must be different than most others. I go to bike shows and rally's to see the level that people have accessorized thier rides and the work they have put into them. If I wanted to see a bunch of stock bikes, there is always the dealer showroom to go to, and its air conditioned.

harddrive
09-30-2010, 08:25 AM
:agree:, I thought harley accessories where pricey, then we got the Spyder. My Spyder had several things already put on it when I got it, but the first thing I did was spend a grand for the corbin seat and 2 backrest...and it was worth every penny.

I just like to ride and our spyder will get accessories here and there, mostly to briing the comfort level up. My next purchase will be floorboards...:popcorn::dontknow:

Lamonster
09-30-2010, 08:30 AM
You could look at it this way, the Spyder is priced 10 to 15K lower than any other trike so that leaves you some cash for farkels :doorag:

RShrimp
09-30-2010, 08:45 AM
My mod process has always been function based. It has to do something I think needs done. Comfort, performance, or safety must at least be percieved.

As an example:
I would love to have a hand brake (since someone else mentioned it) and ISCI makes some of the most over built products I have seen. Someone said, "you could shoot this stuff into space." and I agree. super high end stuff with a price to match. My problem is, do you really need space shuttle accesories on a Spyder? Some will say yes and thats fine, I say no.
I will say that at a $500 price point they could sell a whole bunch more hand brake kits. Maybe enough more that they could accually make more money on them with the volume. (IMHO)

There are several things out there that I have said .... "wow , thats cool! I want one. How much?.....no thanks"
Of course, I have also bought my share as well. I tend to go outside the direct Spyder market and then mod to fit (like my 59 caddi tail lights which I have around $100 in.)

billythekidd
09-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Two thing's

No offense meant, but your number 2 is stating the obvious, and no matter what product it is, there is a lot of R and D that goes into a product. I understand the price vs demand economy but most every accessory that one buys for any bike is way overpriced. They do that because we buy them anyway.

Thanks retired1,

I have seen the cable hand brake, and think I might go that route.

Willy

Bob Denman
09-30-2010, 08:55 AM
There's usually more than one way to skin a cat, so shop carefully and you'll often find that some money can be saved.
(Currently looking for Stebels and Corbins!)

taggtr
09-30-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm all about the safety mods. Lights, lights, and more lights....but get them when I can afford them. Not in a hurry yet, waiting for the cool weather to tack on more miles to the 800 I already have (and had my Spyder since March! Geesh!)

AnthonyG
09-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks ISCI & ESI for great quality accessories, super instructions, and don't forget all that telephone time if needed. If you want to talk about high prices lets talk taxes

SpyderWolf
09-30-2010, 07:03 PM
You could look at it this way, the Spyder is priced 10 to 15K lower than any other trike so that leaves you some cash for farkels :doorag:

I actually like the way you put that. :thumbup:

wvsquirrel
09-30-2010, 07:47 PM
That's why they make credit cards!!! LOL
I know what you mean, the good stuff comes with the "$".

bone crusher
09-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks ISCI & ESI for great quality accessories, super instructions, and don't forget all that telephone time if needed. If you want to talk about high prices lets talk taxes

Agreed...lower taxes translates to buying more mods and this is better for the economy! Well stated!!!!

Raptor
10-01-2010, 12:57 AM
Mods are a very personal thing - Everyone wants to make their ride THEIRS. I totally get that. Gosh knows there are a few personal touches I would love to add to 14 - I just can't justify what I will have to pay to do it. You have to draw the line in the sand and say no - you are gouging and I will not fall into that trap. Again, that's just me.

But let's be fair about this. There is some really nice stuff out there, and not all of it is gouge -priced. Alot of guys thought long and hard about how to develop these items and bring them to market. And if it appeals to ya, and you want it - do it man! And as the market grows - More and even cooler stuff will emerge. That's the journey - walk the path that feels the best to you.

Bob Denman
10-01-2010, 06:28 AM
:agree: X2... :2thumbs:

rogerb
10-01-2010, 08:02 AM
An accessory to one may be a necessity to another. I got the ISIC hand brake and highway peg mounts. High price definitely but to me more than worth it. The hand brake especially saved my bacon more than once. Physical handicap easily overcomed. Not everything is an accessory some are neccessities. We're all showing our age by complaining about high prices. Oh for that 25 cents a gallon gas!!!

SpyderWolf
10-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Mods are a very personal thing - Everyone wants to make their ride THEIRS. I totally get that. Gosh knows there are a few personal touches I would love to add to 14 - I just can't justify what I will have to pay to do it. You have to draw the line in the sand and say no - you are gouging and I will not fall into that trap. Again, that's just me.

But let's be fair about this. There is some really nice stuff out there, and not all of it is gouge -priced. Alot of guys thought long and hard about how to develop these items and bring them to market. And if it appeals to ya, and you want it - do it man! And as the market grows - More and even cooler stuff will emerge. That's the journey - walk the path that feels the best to you.

Mods are very personal indeed. Many may never have a desire to take their Spyder in the direction I have taken mine, but it is mine and I have made it even more so. I actually think I have been patient at times, and waited for a better deal on many things, but looking back it has only been a little over 1 year since I bought my Spyder. I readily admit that I have an addiction problem, before the Spyder it was saltwater reef aquariums which are now emptied out and I am attempting to sell all the remaining equipment. I can only handle one addiction at a time, and thankfully it is currently my Spyder and nothing more sinister than that. :D

An accessory to one may be a necessity to another. I got the ISIC hand brake and highway peg mounts. High price definitely but to me more than worth it. The hand brake especially saved my bacon more than once. Physical handicap easily overcomed. Not everything is an accessory some are neccessities. We're all showing our age by complaining about high prices. Oh for that 25 cents a gallon gas!!!

25 cent gas? I would be happy for gas to be back down under $2, but would really love to see 25 cent candy bars again. :thumbup:

NancysToy
10-01-2010, 11:11 AM
25 cent gas? I would be happy for gas to be back down under $2, but would really love to see 25 cent candy bars again. :thumbup:
When gas was 25¢, candy bars were a nickle. If we're gonna go, let's go all the way! :D

boborgera
10-01-2010, 11:52 AM
When gas was 25¢, candy bars were a nickle. If we're gonna go, let's go all the way! :D

I remember 18 cent gas [Sinclair] plus 6 drinking glasses,and they cleaned your winsheld. Those were the good old days.
Yeah, those were the good old days all right,
You were lucky to make 75 cents an hour back then.:shocked:

Bob Denman
10-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Weren't Cadillacs about $7000 back then too? :D

SpyderWolf
10-01-2010, 03:01 PM

I vaguely remember being taken to a 5 and 10 store once. I was so young at the time that most of the memory is only a blur though. :dontknow: :D

Bob Denman
10-02-2010, 07:24 AM
...it was a Woolworths...

BLACK WIDOW
10-02-2010, 09:02 AM
I remember 18 cent gas [Sinclair] plus 6 drinking glasses,and they cleaned your winsheld. Those were the good old days.

My goodness---Just how old are you anyway???:roflblack:

boborgera
10-02-2010, 10:21 AM
My goodness---Just how old are you anyway???:roflblack:

Only 65, But back back in Brooklyn in the early 60's the gas stations would try to put each other out of business by cutting prices, a penny at a time,
They were called Gas wars. They finally woke up and and started to fix their prices,
Like they do now.

NancysToy
10-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Only 65, But back back in Brooklyn in the early 60's the gas stations would try to put each other out of business by cutting prices, a penny at a time,
They were called Gas wars. They finally woke up and and started to fix their prices,
Like they do now.
I'm a couple of years younger, and I remember the gas wars, too. I worked in a gas station back then. We saw prices (briefly) as low as 13¢. The average price then was $0.25-$0.30. Being a couple of years behind you, the minimum wage was $1.00 by then. Sure was nice to be able to fill up your car for three to four bucks, and fill the bike for less than a dollar.

BLACK WIDOW
10-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Like they do now.

I'm pretty much with you on age, and yes, I too remember the Gas Wars since my folks at the time owned three Gulf stations in central Oklahoma. Looking back it seems like the "Good ole Days", and for me it was; :ohyea:However, I'm not sure the folks thought so at the time.:D

Rider Steve
10-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Gasoline... the ultimate and necessary Accessory. Don't leave home without it.

Marker
10-02-2010, 04:24 PM
I have to agree with kent :2thumbs::agree:
We are being over taxed and do not get much value for our money. :chat:Accessories are price pointed you get what you pay for.

Raptor
10-02-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm just a bit younger than you guys, but I remember being young in the back seat of the car, gas was about 35 cents a gallon, they pumped it for you, checked your oil, and handed you a free 49er glass! That's how I remember all of this - the cool 49er glasses that the Shell stations gave out! :D

JJW SpyderRider
10-02-2010, 08:18 PM
My dad and his brothers had stations back in the 60' when I was young. I remember riding with my dad writing down the gas prices so he could match the lowest prices. One uncle who was getting undercut went out one night and cut the gas hoses at some other stations. :yikes:

boborgera
10-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Ok, since we are traveling down memory lane. When I was first stationed at MCAS Cherry Point I can remember going to the vending machines and for a quarter getting a can of Coke and a pack of peanut butter cheese crackers. :yikes: This was in 1972.

Back in 65, when i was asked to join Pres Johnson's crusade, starting pay was 93 dollars a month, And the vending machines at Fort Lewis only held Apple's. :hun:

Blue Star
10-02-2010, 09:31 PM

I remember my Dad giving me a gallon gas can, and a quarter. I would fill the can up (23 cents @ Phillips) and being able to keep the two cents for gum.

SpyderWolf
10-02-2010, 09:57 PM
I remember my Dad giving me a gallon gas can, and a quarter. I would fill the can up (23 cents @ Phillips) and being able to keep the two cents for gum.

I remember my dad giving me a gas can, and a pack of matches. Oh wait, that is a different story. :yikes:

Raptor
10-02-2010, 10:10 PM
I remember my dad giving me a gas can, and a pack of matches. Oh wait, that is a different story. :yikes:

:roflblack: I think we had the same Dad!! :roflblack:

jenmom22
10-02-2010, 10:26 PM
I vaguely remember being taken to a 5 and 10 store once. I was so young at the time that most of the memory is only a blur though. :dontknow: :D

We would all bike down to the corner store (Gulf Gas, I think) and pick out our candy for the week - we all had a quarter. Gum was 1 cent each, there were tootsie roll pops, wafers - all the good stuff. Pick up the Sunday paper and bike back home (about 2 miles, I think).

I also remember the gas wars - 2 stations across the street from each other, each dropping the price by a penny or so. :D

boborgera
10-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Just think one day our Grand kids are going to remember the good old days when gas was ONLY around 3 dollars a gal.:chat:

Bob Denman
10-03-2010, 08:03 AM
When they stared "fixing" gas prices they pretty much BROKE everything else... :cus:

texasride
10-03-2010, 09:07 AM
that ls a lot of bull if what some are saying them how come harley yam and the others still charge out the back side for their stuff.:gaah: