PDA

View Full Version : Only a matter of time

draboo
09-27-2010, 10:56 AM
I have talked with this fellow at length about his projects. This is his second conversion. The first one was a V-Max.

He is an engineer for Boeing and has access to all the latest and greatest CAD software. He also has access to some of the best machining facilities around the greater Seattle area.

His design allows for leaning..an option I m sure everyone wishes they could have.

Now..I wonder what he did with the vmax, and if possibly he needs some cash for future endeavors..:D

Yes, he DOES need that kickstand!

Anyway, I wish him well.

truck 85
09-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Saw that bike at oyster run :2thumbs::2thumbs: very very cool

WackyDan
09-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Based on what I've seen with leaning reverse trikes, our Spyders would eat each and every one of them in the twisties.

Logic makes you think that having two wheels up front and the ability to lean equates to some sort of superior handling, but it does not. I used to think that too.

Leaning a two wheeler is a matter of physics, and depending on fork rake and such can be done very quickly left to right.

When you do so to a reverse trike, you are making for an even more physical ride than the Spyder already is. It takes a lot of energy imparted by the rider, but more importantly, a lot of time and energy is wasted in the process of leaning a reverse trike over. That is something you will be able to see in the various videos for the prototypes. You can't take something that happens naturally on two wheels and get equal or superior performance via the basic mechanics used today...and I'm not sure they'll ever get there.

Neez
09-27-2010, 11:59 AM
There was a crowd of ryders oogling that guys demo at the Oyster Run (Truck 85, Neez, Jomion, Seattle, Riot, Walley 69 ). We were impressed!

WackyDan
09-28-2010, 01:26 PM
There was a crowd of ryders oogling that guys demo at the Oyster Run (Truck 85, Neez, Jomion, Seattle, Riot, Walley 69 ). We were impressed!

Yep.. That guy that makes those seems to have the nicest setup and it seems to handle better than most others. Definitely a must have if you absolutely will not give up your Vmax or other bikes he's modded with it.

wukka
09-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Based on what I've seen with leaning reverse trikes, our Spyders would eat each and every one of them in the twisties.

Logic makes you think that having two wheels up front and the ability to lean equates to some sort of superior handling, but it does not. I used to think that too.

Leaning a two wheeler is a matter of physics, and depending on fork rake and such can be done very quickly left to right.

When you do so to a reverse trike, you are making for an even more physical ride than the Spyder already is. It takes a lot of energy imparted by the rider, but more importantly, a lot of time and energy is wasted in the process of leaning a reverse trike over. That is something you will be able to see in the various videos for the prototypes. You can't take something that happens naturally on two wheels and get equal or superior performance via the basic mechanics used today...and I'm not sure they'll ever get there.

I would have to see some road tests before you convince me. To me, it's all about COG (Center of Gravity), and this guy designed the forks so that it is down low where it needs to be.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n391/jomion/2010_oyster_run/DSCF0182.jpg

LittleJohn
09-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Anyone ever ride a leaning trike? I guess that would include the Piaggio.
Im curious about the steering. Is it like the Spyder (direct steering, steer right, go right) or reverse like on a 2 wheeler (steer right, lean left, go left) or a hybrid of the two?:gaah:

WackyDan
09-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Well.. Here are some vids...

You can see the amount of energy needed to get from a left lean to a right lean... You can also tell that the turning radius is worse than a spyder's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu6wxKs-XGM
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75I20gE2L5I&feature=related
and another make
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dknI2OyR9-o&feature=related

This one is the best or most promising one I've found with the Brudeli
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvQDvGqjfLc&feature=related

I guess time will tell... But I'm thinking having a nanny is a good thing at this point too.

Raptor
09-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I tend to agree with you Dan. No matter how good the system there has to ba a "lag' from one side to another. Especially in the extreme. The 2 wheel guys do this in an instant but even then there is a tiny bit of lag - But their techniques are so good that you don't even notice really.

Don't get me wrong - I dig the whole leaning thing - it looks wild! But I'll stick with 14. I think she's better come crunch time! Just my opinion and it's probably biased!! :roflblack:

NancysToy
09-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Anyone ever ride a leaning trike? I guess that would include the Piaggio.
Im curious about the steering. Is it like the Spyder (direct steering, steer right, go right) or reverse like on a 2 wheeler (steer right, lean left, go left) or a hybrid of the two?:gaah:
I rode the Piaggio. It was much like a bike. Steer the same direction at slow speeds, and countersteer and lean at higher speeds. At least that's what I remember. It has been a long time, and I don't really think about what I am doing when I ride...I just ride the darned things. :D I never even heard of countersteering until I had been riding for several decades. We just leaned the way we wanted to go. :roflblack: Guess the Spyder has changed all that.

Firefly
09-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Interesting stuff for sure on those leaning videos--- I don't see any advantage over the Spyder--- except they can spin the rear tire without a nanny cutting the throttle.

Raptor
09-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Interesting stuff for sure on those leaning videos--- I don't see any advantage over the Spyder--- except they can spin the rear tire without a nanny cutting the throttle.

Yes, the nanny... the &^%$# nanny!! CURSE YOU NANNY! :roflblack:

WackyDan
09-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Yeah.. I think some of those leaning concepts are great ideas for the dirt, not really sure about the road... and again, none that I've seen can tour like the Spyder.

NFLEagles1
09-29-2010, 02:07 AM
If they were mass produced for cheap, I'd get one in a heartbeat. Probably keep the Spyder, but I bet there'd be times when one would want to take one or the other.