PDA

View Full Version : Insurance questions...

jenmom22
09-24-2010, 07:11 PM
So I should be getting my baby tomorrow...

Who would you suggest for insurance? What kind of coverage? What kind of deductible?

I have contacted Geico - they offer $564 for the year. That's the only one so far, and then thought about asking the experienced ryders.

Thanks in advance!

SupaMan_3
09-24-2010, 07:47 PM
I am not an expert, a newbie also, progressive gave me a better deal which I assume is due to the USAA association. Just think it you have an accident whatt would you prefer to shell out immediatly?
By the way :congrats: on the :spyder2:

harddrive
09-24-2010, 08:29 PM
I use a broker called Ball insurance (http://www.ballins.com/). My insurance is a little over 300 per year on my 08 GS. Alstate wanted 900 a year...

My buddy called them for a quote for this Screamin eagle and tri-glide, and they cut his insurance in half. He was with progressive and ball insurance went with progressive, but at half the price for the same coverage...

:congrats: on the new :spyder2:. Being that you are in Texas, we will have to get together and ride...

PCBeachBum
09-25-2010, 05:24 AM
I have my house and truck through Allstate and used them for the Spyder to get a multible discount. In 2009, I paid $534. and in 2010 its dropped $92.00 to $443. I wanted to put my boat on Allstate but, they told me to stay with Progressive. It was cheaper than what Allstate could do for me.

Ryde safe on your new Spyder.:thumbup:

fastfraser
09-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Prices are all over the map ! Just be sure when you decide you compare apples to apples for the same coverage . The cheapest rate does't always give the best coverage !

GypsyBill
09-25-2010, 09:38 AM
I got full coverage (500 deductible, high liability coverages, no PIP or uninsured/underinsured motorist) from Markel http://markelinsuresfun.com/home (http://markelinsuresfun.com/home)
for under $500. I assume you live in Bexar county so your rates may be higher than mine since I live in rural Bandera county... I tried Geico since I have everything else with them and have been with the for over 26 years and they were higher.. YMMV

Papa
09-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Just got my RT two months ago anbd went with Foremost. $400 with 100K/300K and 250 deductable for $400 in Illinois

Dragonrider
09-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Oregon has high insurance rates, and State Farm had - by far - the best rates on my GS - high coverage, $50 deductible and under $400 for the year - that's full year riding too.

canam9
09-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Prices are all over the map ! Just be sure when you decide you compare apples to apples for the same coverage . The cheapest rate does't always give the best coverage !
:agree: And welcome :ani29:

jenmom22
09-25-2010, 04:36 PM
I got full coverage (500 deductible, high liability coverages, no PIP or uninsured/underinsured motorist) from Markel http://markelinsuresfun.com/home
for under $500. I assume you live in Bexar county so your rates may be higher than mine since I live in rural Bandera county... I tried Geico since I have everything else with them and have been with the for over 26 years and they were higher.. YMMV

I will check them out, thanks. I live in Bandera Country (Pipe Creek) - seems we are neighbors.. You said no PIP or un..motorist - does that mean you're out of luck if an uninsured person hits you? I'm not that familiar with what is advisable to have. My cars are insured with USAA, but they don't do cycle insurance. My first bike (MP3) was insured with Progressive (because of USAA), but they were high.

So far, I have Progressive ($440-864) and Geico ($564), but they are high deductibles..

Dudley
09-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Check out GMAC. I can get you the number if you want it.

MotorTony
09-25-2010, 04:49 PM
I have 100/300 and all of the extras including road side assistance/towing from Progressive. I also live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida which is very expensive for insurance. I have multi-vehicle discount (2 cars, 2 motors) and I pay $700/year.

Raptor
09-25-2010, 05:03 PM
I got full coverage (500 deductible, high liability coverages, no PIP or uninsured/underinsured motorist) from Markel http://markelinsuresfun.com/home

Same here, and I live in CA where the insurance rates are probably the highest in the country. So I was pleased to get this deal from Allstate. My guy is Harry Gee, he's local to me, and he's a heck of a nice guy too! He offers that personal touch that is so lacking in business these days. So I feel pretty lucky.

PCBeachBum
09-26-2010, 03:50 AM
I have 100/300 and all of the extras including road side assistance/towing from Progressive. I also live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida which is very expensive for insurance. I have multi-vehicle discount (2 cars, 2 motors) and I pay $700/year.

A woman that works for my agent at Allstate, moved from the Tampa area to Panama City before the housing crash and said, the rates in South Florida are twice as much as here. Having multi-vehicle discount helps a lot.

I also got a discount on my truck, since I don't put 7500 miles on it in 6 months. Every 6 months I have to give them my mileage and back in April, she was laughing over the phone saying, I only put 1500 miles on it in 6 months.

You might want to checkout your policy and see if Progressive has a set mileage on your cars. If your driving them less than there set mileage, you could get another discount.

Desert Spyder
09-26-2010, 08:02 AM
I recently signed up with GMAC after being with Progressive whose rates went ... progressive ... in the 3rd year. My broker secured GMAC for $246 a year!

:yikes:

MotorTony
09-26-2010, 09:20 AM
I think the bottom line is that insurance is legalized extortion. I haven't caused a crash in 28 years and, like most of you, I pay too much for the service they provide. But, it's what we must do to ryde.

retread
09-26-2010, 12:28 PM
A couple of things to remember when you go for insurance; a rider's course certificate will get you a discount, and, make sure the insurance company doesn't list your Spyder as a "sport bike" it has built in luggage (frunk), so it qualifies as a sport-touring bike...BIG discount from a crotch rocket.

john

jenmom22
09-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Since I am ryding her now, I think I'd better get something fast...

The most expensive is Progressive, the least is Geico. But I don't think they are all oranges.

I guess, logically, I cannot ryde her to work (60 miles round trip) without some insurance, huh?

:hun:

Definitely not a crouch rocket (I hear those all day on saturday)

Bob Denman
09-27-2010, 06:54 AM
You definitely want to be protecting your investment with some insurance coverage! While it may be legalized extortion... :cus:, isn't it better to be able to budget and pay a known amount rather than perhaps suffer a loss for which you have to bear the entire financial burden on your own?? Pick a deductible that balances the cost of the coverage versus the benefit... A 250 Deductible might cost more than a 500 Deductible, but how much more? If that last $250 worth of coverage doesn't cost much (20-30 bucks...) it's probably worth popping for the better coverage. Buy the most liability coverage that you can afford! If you make a mistake and somebody gets hurt, Heaven FORBID!!), let the insurance pay for it! Her in New York, we see people getting sued almost evey day because they didn't have enough coverage. The injured party will institute legal action if they can't collect enough for their injuries from the person who caused the accident... Who wants to have that hanging over their head??? :shocked:
(Over 32 years in the insurance business...)

boborgera
09-27-2010, 08:52 AM
I've been using Foremost for more than 12 years, Don't know if there the cheapest ? I like doing business with the agent.
Anyway make sure you have enough uninsured/under insured coverage.
I have 150k. At any given time about half of the Ya-who's out there have NO insurance.
Get hit by one of them and you'll be glad you have more than minimum coverage.

murphybrown
09-27-2010, 09:42 AM
I started with Foremost and then found recommended here

Marc Fischer Specialty Insurance
1-877-537-2555

He was able to cut my annual premium in 1/2. So I was only with foremost for a few days and they returned my full premium (which I thought was wonderful and appreciated). Went from $1200 to $600.

Well, incredible fall day. Hi 70's for the following week...feeling sad that I shut the pool down early but reallly GLAD cause now I can Spyder Ryde for a whole week. Headed to Stevens Pass area to pick wild blackberries and enjoy the fall colors.

jimcrom
10-02-2010, 01:11 PM
In California, I have Geico and one thing to check is if there is a towing package. I did, and when my Spyder broke down I was able to get about 1/2 mile from home. When I called & talked to the rep I found that they would tow it to the nearest dealer (130 miles away). AT NO EXTRA CHARGE! I said load it up and I will call the dealer.
Just something to think about.

Well I just added my new 09 :spyder2: to my Geico policy. My total now is $753 a year for 4 bikes and the :spyder2: is $208 of that. At this point I don't have any extra coverage for everything that is being added. That's for a straight bone stock :spyder2:. Once I pick it up I'll add all the goodies onto the policy. I'll check back in with an updated figure then. :D

Sarge707
10-02-2010, 04:44 PM
The following affects your insurance rate the most-
1- City you reside in.
2- Age
3- Driving record
4- Credit Score:yikes:

jenmom22
10-02-2010, 10:42 PM
I thought I posted this, but didn't see it.

I went with Foremost. Turned out that USAA (my insurance company for my RV and cars) recommends both Progressive and Foremost. They recommend Progressive for one coast and Foremost for the other. I'm in Texas, so in my town I guess it's Progressive. I didn't like the quote for P, so when some of you recommended F, I called them.

The agent I spoke with was outstanding. I got the coverage I wanted, plus uninsured (Geico didn't offer that one) at a price that was low enough I could actually afford.

So, I'm legal now!!!

boborgera
10-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I thought I posted this, but didn't see it.

I went with Foremost. Turned out that USAA (my insurance company for my RV and cars) recommends both Progressive and Foremost. They recommend Progressive for one coast and Foremost for the other. I'm in Texas, so in my town I guess it's Progressive. I didn't like the quote for P, so when some of you recommended F, I called them.

The agent I spoke with was outstanding. I got the coverage I wanted, plus uninsured (Geico didn't offer that one) at a price that was low enough I could actually afford.

So, I'm legal now!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Rider Steve
10-02-2010, 11:38 PM
A couple of things to remember when you go for insurance; a rider's course certificate will get you a discount, and, make sure the insurance company doesn't list your Spyder as a "sport bike" it has built in luggage (frunk), so it qualifies as a sport-touring bike...BIG discount from a crotch rocket.

john

Ya 16.00 dollars a year... off my 500.00 dollar a year bill. :2excited: I could take a nap.

superfly5
10-03-2010, 12:15 AM
I am in San Antonio as well....I went through "the insurance lady" who prices several companies for you....
I currently have quiroga gottsacker for $367 a year on 2009. I got them through Joe Harrison Honda a year and a half ago.

I just renewed and got a call from "the insurance lady" and they told me that Dairyland quoted me about $20 cheaper a year for more perks than I have now.
I appreciate them looking for me and comparing my policy for me.

Dairyland is famous around here for motorcycle insurance..