PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on DPS Recal... sigh =[

IWN2RYD
09-22-2010, 01:13 PM
In an attempt to offer information I do not yet see on any forum... With the understanding that I could have been misinformed. Ok? We clear on that?

I was told today that BRP has informed the Service departments (Are is starting to, mine was at least) that there have been a few reports of the DPS recalled units acting flaky. Each time this happened it was under 20 miles of being in service.

All this means (Again, so I was told) is that BRP is asking the dealers to drive the Spyders after the Recall has been completed, for 20 miles to check for any irregularities before contacting the client of the recall being completed.

This brings to mind a frustrating potential for any of us getting this done.. Why?

According to posts on this forum BRP is only allowing the Dealers to get 10% of their total units sold. So if a shop sold ten Spyders, they can only have one at a time.
Then once they do the Recall they have to ship the now removed unit back to BRP before they (The dealer) can get another one.
This means Spyders could be sitting in the shop longer than one day as they wait for a replacement for the original replacement recall unit...

I am not trying to start a thread for folks to fight with. I am just trying to offer info I was told. It very well could be a pile of garbage that I was willing to hear and chose to post about.... :dontknow:

boborgera
09-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Then once they do the Recall they have to ship the now removed unit back to BRP before they (The dealer) can get another one. :dontknow:
[/LIST] :agree: Thats just about what my dealer told me.
And i did post about that.

dave01
09-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up. So far, mine is working great.
I really took it easy for the first 30 or so miles and am real comfortable with it now.

draboo
09-22-2010, 02:36 PM
In an attempt to offer information I do not yet see on any forum... With the understanding that I could have been misinformed. Ok? We clear on that?

I was told today that BRP has informed the Service departments (Are is starting to, mine was at least) that there have been a few reports of the DPS recalled units acting flaky. Each time this happened it was under 20 miles of being in service.

All this means (Again, so I was told) is that BRP is asking the dealers to drive the Spyders after the Recall has been completed, for 20 miles to check for any irregularities before contacting the client of the recall being completed.

This brings to mind a frustrating potential for any of us getting this done.. Why?

According to posts on this forum BRP is only allowing the Dealers to get 10% of their total units sold. So if a shop sold ten Spyders, they can only have one at a time.
Then once they do the Recall they have to ship the now removed unit back to BRP before they (The dealer) can get another one.
This means Spyders could be sitting in the shop longer than one day as they wait for a replacement for the original replacement recall unit...

I am not trying to start a thread for folks to fight with. I am just trying to offer info I was told. It very well could be a pile of garbage that I was willing to hear and chose to post about.... :dontknow:

Which dealer are you frequenting? Or..in which city is your dealer located?

canam9
09-22-2010, 02:42 PM
All I have to say is :gaah: :ani29:

spydsense
09-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Mine is in and all is well

Rockytime
09-22-2010, 04:45 PM
I visited my Dealer today. My RT-S has been the shop for about three weeks due to me rear ending a car. Immediately after receiving my recall letter I asked the dealer for a DPS install. I was put on the list as #8. When I inquired about my trike and the DPS today they said it had been installed. They bumped me to the front of the list since they already had the trike torn down. I pick it up tomorrow. I'm anxious to see if the new DPS feels differently since the original felt OK to me.

Sarge707
09-22-2010, 04:58 PM
With the Fall Season about to bloom and seeing mine was in the shop 42 days this summer I,m Just riding and having fun for now. Come Nov I,ll call the dealer about a appointment- If I think of it??:ohyea:

Smylinacha
09-22-2010, 08:30 PM
:( My original dps went, the second one failed upon install and the third works fine. Maybe I shouldn't bother w/ this new one? I'm used to how it steers now and don't want any twitchiness.

Edit to add: so if the dealer tests it and it feels funny, can we get our old one put back before the dealer ships it back to brp?

ataDude
09-22-2010, 08:41 PM
... can we get our old one put back before the dealer ships it back to brp?

No chance on a safety recall. The new one is what it is.

Smylinacha
09-22-2010, 08:45 PM
No chance on a safety recall. The new one is what it is.

Then I'm not getting the new on until this one fails and so far it's fine.

mvengineer
09-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Do we really have a choice but to have the new/recall dps installed. I am hesitant too of any tampering/replacement following the saying if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Dudley
09-22-2010, 09:27 PM
My thoughts are that if you don't make an effort to get the DPS replaced and you do get in an accident because of not having it done...where will you stand?
This is a recall, not a suggested update.

Smylinacha
09-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I'll have my atty on it at that point Dudley. No worries there!:2thumbs:

edit to add: What I mean to say is my spyder is riding okay now on it's 3rd dps. We were never told why it messed up. And now they are saying it's due to things rubbing together w/ not enough lubrication. So THIS one comes out and I ride my Spyder to the dealer to get it and then I jump on the highway to go home and it twitches me into the guardrail and I get hurt. Is that safe? Seems like more testing needed to be done before they got this one out or more quality control from where they manufacture it since some are good and some aren't it seems. I don't believe this is all rider error cuz people have been riding their spyders for a long time now.

truck 85
09-22-2010, 09:49 PM

that is so that all the dealers get a fare shot a getting the boxes it to service. My understanding is that on the last big recall they did the big dealers ordered one for every unit they sold so it was hard for the smaller dealers to get them so on some level this seams fair.

Full.Of.Fun
09-22-2010, 11:11 PM
It is true that the dealers cannot just get how ever many replacements they want. This is a very expensive item and there has to be some way to control inventories etc. BRP is also paying for overnight delivery to and from the dealers - and it is not a little box. Check my post on the other thread and hang in there - our Canadian friends do things differently, but for a reason - one example of doing something different would be the cool ride we are so lucky to have!

Riot
09-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Im on my 2cd one also, just got the recall letter dealer said same deal, bring bike in, they tear it down send out old and brp ships new back...and we all know how good (heh) a job brp does with shipping. so it be a min of acouple weeks in the shop.

I know i should just leave well enough enough alone, Def leaning towards Smylinchas attidude dont fix what aint broke. But since Deer season is almost here and i know i wont be riding for 3 weeks anyways. I'm gonna tempt the fate gods and allow this replacement to happen again...aint never been accused of bein too bright. We will see how it goes should be done end of Oct

IWN2RYD
09-22-2010, 11:49 PM
[/LIST]
:agree: Thats just about what my dealer told me.
And i did post about that.
Sorry I missed it :gaah: I even looked first.. Fail on my part... :sour:

ARtraveler
09-23-2010, 02:44 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::chat:

truck 85
09-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Had mine done today it works great smooth, like a new machine. As for the the 20 mile test drive they did not.

vt228
09-23-2010, 03:30 PM
had mine dune and it took two days rides gerat :2thumbs:

SPYDER4FUN
09-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Mine is in the shop right now getting the new DPS and they're also replacing the leaking reservois container that the mechanic spotted :shocked:
But I was told the same thing that some of the DPS units did have some issues identified when the test drive was done & had to be replaced again .. so that takes a couple days to get another one .. as well as having people on a waiting list because they only get so many ...
I still believe it is worth it to replace, I will be patient because once my Spyder gets the right DPS installed then the results are supposed to be good with better steering :pray:
I'm also getting my 12K service .. getting it all done at one time saves me on down time :spyder:

Sarge707
09-23-2010, 04:37 PM
1. There is NO WAY you should have to wait for them to ship the old DPS back before they ship your new one!
2. They should send what the dealer requires!
3. We did not start the problem!:yikes:
4. I will drive it home the same day I bring it in or BRP can pay to pick it up and deliver it! End of story!!!nojoke

Dudley
09-23-2010, 05:19 PM
1. There is NO WAY you should have to wait for them to ship the old DPS back before they ship your new one!
2. They should send what the dealer requires!
3. We did not start the problem!:yikes:
4. I will drive it home the same day I bring it in or BRP can pay to pick it up and deliver it! End of story!!!nojoke

Dealers got 10% of their Spyder sales in new DPSs. Once the cycle starts rolling, the dealer should have enough units to get them changed in smooth order. I agree with you. Taking the old unit off your Spyder and shipping it off for the new one is not good business sense. I wouldn't leave my Spyder there either. Mine was put in, tested and given back to me in 1 hours, 45 minutes after I dropped it off. Not after they took it back to the shop.

dave01
09-23-2010, 05:26 PM
In and out in under 2 hours, And that included unhooking the lights I have mounted under the front and the LED's. Its much more fun to ryde now and I feel safer than I ever did on my old RS or even this RTS with the old DPS box.:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Sarge707
09-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Dealers got 10% of their Spyder sales in new DPSs. Once the cycle starts rolling, the dealer should have enough units to get them changed in smooth order. I agree with you. Taking the old unit off your Spyder and shipping it off for the new one is not good business sense. I wouldn't leave my Spyder there either. Mine was put in, tested and given back to me in 1 hours, 45 minutes after I dropped it off. Not after they took it back to the shop.
:agree: And hope I get Close to your Mileage!!!!!!!!!!!!nojoke

Padre Spyder
09-23-2010, 07:45 PM
I called my Dealer to be put on the waiting list on Friday, they called me on Tuesday, installed the new DPS on Wednesday, and its running better than ever. I'm almost sorry I traded for an RT while at the dealer. Take Delivery on it on tomorrow, 9/24.:shemademe_smilie::shemademe_smilie:

IWN2RYD
09-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Which dealer are you frequenting? Or..in which city is your dealer located?

Clems in Enumclaw. To this day I have not set foot in another Can-Am vendor since they took such good care of us back in April.

Jeff (Service manager) is simply the man! And Larry treats our bikes like they are his (Tech). Corey (Sales manager) is the one that made everything work for us and BRP. Had it not been for his attitude, true customer support and having a good since of reality, I think at a few points during this process I would have shipped the RT-S back to BRP no return address :thumbup:

sylblk
09-27-2010, 01:35 AM
this sure sounds familiar... i'll just wait until the dust settles.

draboo
09-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Clems in Enumclaw. To this day I have not set foot in another Can-Am vendor since they took such good care of us back in April.

Jeff (Service manager) is simply the man! And Larry treats our bikes like they are his (Tech). Corey (Sales manager) is the one that made everything work for us and BRP. Had it not been for his attitude, true customer support and having a good since of reality, I think at a few points during this process I would have shipped the RT-S back to BRP no return address :thumbup:

We took a ride down to Clems a few weekends ago. We are looking for a second Spyder, and since our regular dealer in Lacey gave up its Can Am franchise, Clems was due to possibly get their machines. I was looking at a '10 RS-S at the Lacey dealer. Corey said he would honor the same price that I was quoted at Paulsons in Lacey. In fact ,while we were talking to Corey, they sold a blue RT. Clems seems like a pretty straight up dealer.

Now if the paperwork/closing would speed up on our home back in MI..

boborgera
09-27-2010, 12:18 PM
I picked up my Spyder Friday, while it was in the shop they installed a new DPS so far i only put 125 miles on,
So it would be kind of foolish to say if it's better,worst or the same until i get some meaningful miles on it.
Experience tells me that. Time will tell.

Firefly
09-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Got mine done and it ROCKS.