PDA

View Full Version : Auto Train to Fl

Chikez
09-21-2010, 12:14 AM
My partner and I are thinking about taking the spyder with trailer on the auto train to Florida during Spring Break '11. Has anyone taken the spyder onthe train before? Any suggestions of what I should be wary of or should ask about the transport of the spyder on the train? We would take the spyder down to the keys. It is just too much of a grind to drive down and back within a week and then return to work. We have friends who live midway down the keys on Marathon Island and would love to see them again

Chikez

lightman02
09-21-2010, 05:16 AM
My partner and I are thinking about taking the spyder with trailer on the auto train to Florida during Spring Break '11. Has anyone taken the spyder onthe train before? Any suggestions of what I should be wary of or should ask about the transport of the spyder on the train? We would take the spyder down to the keys. It is just too much of a grind to drive down and back within a week and then return to work. We have friends who live midway down the keys on Marathon Island and would love to see them again

Chikez

Let me know what you find out, kinda curious about this one to.

SpyderAnn01
09-21-2010, 05:46 AM
We haven't taken the train but we have taken a big lake ferry. On the ferry you have to bring tie down straps and you strap it in yourself. I'd bring a few ratchet straps. On Lake Michigan the waves can get pretty big and they still load the vehicles just inches from each other. They don't tie down cars or trucks on the boat just motorcycles as they can fall over. You drive your own motorcycle on the boat but they drive the other vehicles on. I wouldn't worry unless they have to back that little trailer up. Call Amtrak and I'm sure they will fill you in on the details. Have fun.

NancysToy
09-21-2010, 06:22 AM
I thought someone reported here that the AutoTrain wouldn't take Spyders. Better check into the details closely.

NancysToy
09-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Good info! :thumbup:

LDFIREWORKS
09-21-2010, 04:36 PM
GOOD TO KNOW THANKS FOR THE INFO THINKING ABOUT GOING THE OTHER WAY [NORTH ]:clap:

JJW SpyderRider
09-21-2010, 06:10 PM
I was going to have my Spyder on a ferry this weekend. Now may just ride a little longer and go to next bridge.

MouthPiece
09-22-2010, 12:15 PM
It's funny because I have considered taking my RT-S on AmTrak from Sanford, Flarda, up to the Virginia area. I live in Sanford and have asked some people what the area was like up in Virginia where Amtrak ends.

I think, but am not sure, that Sanford is the southern most end. Sanford is located about 20 miles north of Orlando, and you are quite close to Interstate 4.

Perhaps ya'll could share your thoughts as to what the area is like up there?

Thanks.

Chris PE# 0004