PDA

View Full Version : Battery chargers???

woodchuck
09-17-2010, 10:24 AM
It is getting close to that time of the year to put the :spyder2: to bed for the winter. What kind of battery chargers do most of you use for the winter months to keep the battery charged. In Pa where I live it gets cold here. Any help would be appreciated.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCED
I read the spyder lovers every day and when someone(like me) asks a question the response is totaly awesome. So many people eager to help people out with a problem. i ordered a battery charger and when I get it, I will put the :spyder2: to bed for the winter. Some might say it is to soon but with the knee surgery I will be done this year.i don't think I will ever get the chance to meet all of you before I go to the highway in the ski but
THANK YOU again.

pjp623
09-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Battery Tender Jr. for my Spyder, Zero turn, 4 wheeler, and camper. Here it sometimes gets to -40 nojoke and I've never had a problem come spring.

rogerb
09-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Same here in Maine. Have never had any problems as long as you put battery tenders on them.:agree:

M2Wild
09-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Best thing to do is to remove the battery from the vehicle(s) you are storing and place that battery on float charger in the garage where it almost never go much below freezing. A float charger can cost you as little as $3.95 at Harbor Freight with the super saver coupon. I have about half dozen of them to place one on every battery (PWCs, lawn mowers, M/Cs).:coffee:

NancysToy
09-17-2010, 11:33 AM
I have had too many bad experiences with so called "float chargers", "trickle chargers", or "automatic chargers"...especially the cheap ones. I recommend a charger advertised specifically for motorcycles, with no more than a 2 amp output...preferably less. I use the Battery Tender Jr. for many of my bikes, and the Accumate 612, Accumate V, or Optimate for the Spyders. The Xtreme charger is also a dandy. Many of these have special circuitry to combat battery sulfating, and their automatic float features are second to none. They also work well on the BMW batteries, which are prone to exploding with the wrong charger! :yikes: I have never hurt a battery since I switched to these chargers. JMHO

ataDude
09-17-2010, 12:10 PM
I have had too many bad experiences with so called "float chargers", "trickle chargers", or "automatic chargers"...especially the cheap ones. I recommend a charger advertised specifically for motorcycles, with no more than a 2 amp output...preferably less. I use the Battery Tender Jr. for many of my bikes, and the Accumate 612, Accumate V, or Optimate for the Spyders. The Xtreme charger is also a dandy. Many of these have special circuitry to combat battery sulfating, and their automatic float features are second to none. They also work well on the BMW batteries, which are prone to exploding with the wrong charger! :yikes: I have never hurt a battery since I switched to these chargers. JMHO

I agree. Have used Battery Tender Jrs. for a long time... no problems and always ready to go on whichever bike or lawn mower I choose.

docdoru
09-17-2010, 12:45 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00809.jpg?t=1284745477 :thumbup:

canam9
09-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Same here in Maine. Have never had any problems as long as you put battery tenders on them.:agree:
:agree:+1 :ani29:

Firefly
09-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Battery Tender Jr. for my Spyder, Zero turn, 4 wheeler, and camper. Here it sometimes gets to -40 nojoke and I've never had a problem come spring.

:agree:

No need to remove battery at all--- just plug in and leave.

nudle
09-17-2010, 03:27 PM
:agree:

stormtrooper
09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
:2thumbs: Battery tender jr I use on all my toys.

dave01
09-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Battery Tender jr for the Spyder, Busa, Quad and truck. No problems with cold temps here, but the toys sometimes sit for a month at a time.

irish2themax
09-18-2010, 02:34 AM
I use the Schumacher Electric DH-6A, Diehard, 12V/6V, 6/4/2A, Battery Charger

bikeguy
09-18-2010, 12:28 PM
I use a Battery Tender Plus which I switch between my BMW, lawnmower, and my old Honda 4-wheeler depending on which one is being used the least. I only occasionally put it on the Spyder since it is ridden so often. I love the fact that I can hook it up and leave it as long as I want with no worries.

Cotton