PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried using Lucas oil stabilizer?

indian02
09-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Anyone ever try using the Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer? I am going to change my oil soon. It is supposed to control heat and wear in high performance motorcycle engines. It says in the directions for 4 stroke motorcycles engine with wet clutches to use 10% with your other motor oil. I am going to try it in my 09 RS SM5. I also have a Harley and a Indian so i get alot of motorcycle magazines. In the October issue of American Iron it has a good article on Twin Cam Lubrication. It explains alot on the API service ratings and additives and other information.

BajaRon
09-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Anyone ever try using the Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer? I am going to change my oil soon. It is supposed to control heat and wear in high performance motorcycle engines. It says in the directions for 4 stroke motorcycles engine with wet clutches to use 10% with your other motor oil. I am going to try it in my 09 RS SM5. I also have a Harley and a Indian so i get alot of motorcycle magazines. In the October issue of American Iron it has a good article on Twin Cam Lubrication. It explains alot on the API service ratings and additives and other information.

Never tried it but I've always heard good things about Lucas products.

NancysToy
09-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Why??? Are you having some kind of problems you are trying to overcome? Use a good quality, synthetic blend, or preferably a full synthetic oil, meeting the Spyder's requirements; change it at specified intervals, and your engine should do just fine. A liquid-cooled engine, like the Rotax in the Spyder, does not run at the high temperatures that air-cooled engines do, so it stresses the oil much less. If additives were needed, BRP would add them and sell you special oil at an exorbitant price. JMHO

BajaRon
09-14-2010, 10:15 PM
If additives were needed, BRP would add them and sell you special oil at an exorbitant price. JMHO

Gee, I thought they already were! :roflblack:

NancysToy
09-15-2010, 06:25 AM
If additives were needed, BRP would add them and sell you special oil at an even more exorbitant price. JMHO

Gee, I thought they already were! :roflblack:
I stand corrected! :D

BLACK WIDOW
09-15-2010, 08:33 AM

I use Mobil 1 10W40 4T, I don't think anything else is required.

BajaRon
09-15-2010, 11:09 AM

I have to agree with both you and Scotty on this one. I use AmsOil and their testing shows ZERO wear on high friction parts put under loads and conditions that the insides of a Spyder will never see.

Once you get to Zero wear I'm not sure spending more money is worth it.

Sarge707
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
:agree:I just got 4T at PepBoys for $9.49 FYI Cheaper than anywhere I found it online and no shipping~!

BLACK WIDOW
09-15-2010, 01:00 PM
:agree:I just got 4T at PepBoys for $9.49 FYI Cheaper than anywhere I found it online and no shipping~!

I buy mine at :cus: Wal-Mart, At about $9.00 per qt. The best price I can find around here.:D

Campverdefela
09-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I buy mine at :cus: Wal-Mart, At about $9.00 per qt. The best price I can find around here.:D
Under $9 here in Wal-mart but I'm going with Motul Factory Line 300V, a couple of bucks more a quart but I think worth the extra as I'll get a year of running out of it so I'm not worried about the additional cost.

jroberts650
06-20-2016, 08:49 AM
Has anyone used Lucas Motorcycle oil stabilizer? Saw it in Oreilly's at $10 for 12 oz. and wondered if it would hurt to use in the RT's. I normally use Castrol 4T oil but at start up I have some valve clatter for a brief 1 sec. Thought maybe this would help with the clatter when starting cold.

Highwayman2013
06-20-2016, 08:54 AM
Making the oil thicker will only make it flow slower at startup.

jroberts650
06-20-2016, 08:55 AM
I don't think it makes it thicker. You only add like 6 oz.

ByronM
06-20-2016, 09:20 AM
I don't think it makes it thicker. You only add like 6 oz.

Be careful with any oil additives in a motorcycle with wet clutches.

jroberts650
06-20-2016, 09:23 AM
This is specifically for motorcycles with wet clutches.

jroberts650
06-20-2016, 09:25 AM
http://lucasoil.com/products/motorcycle-products/motorcycle-oil-stabilizer

Chupaca
06-20-2016, 09:41 AM
They (STP, Wynns, Lucas...etc) were designed to adhere to the moving engine and transmission part to help keep the hot oil from washing down to quickly when hot...I once drove a dune buggy (VW) out of the desert with a cracked engine case on Wynns friction proofing seeing as most of the oil was gone. Now if lucas is making a motorcyle oil specifically for wet clutches it might help and is worth a try. I would suggerst a valve check to make sure it will not mask a problem with in.....:thumbup:

jroberts650
06-20-2016, 09:48 AM
They (STP, Wynns, Lucas...etc) were designed to adhere to the moving engine and transmission part to help keep the hot oil from washing down to quickly when hot...I once drove a dune buggy (VW) out of the desert with a cracked engine case on Wynns friction proofing seeing as most of the oil was gone. Now if lucas is making a motorcyle oil specifically for wet clutches it might help and is worth a try. I would suggerst a valve check to make sure it will not mask a problem with in.....:thumbup:

Lucas makes motorcycle oil. Both conventional and synthetic. Plus the stabilizer. I bought the RT 2 years ago and it had 15,500 miles on it. The dealer said they had performed a valve check on the machine as well as services and recalls that were open before selling. I don't always get the clatter when starting but every once in a while I will on the first start up of the day. Very brief and only lasts about 1 sec. Of course the clatter lasts longer right after changing oil and running a little before topping off with oil. But naturally that's because the system has been drained of oil completely.

spyderCodes
06-20-2016, 11:11 AM
IMHO adding anything to a such a highly engineered product like synthetic or partly synthetic oil is like putting vanilla flavoring in a good beer.

If it does anything it will mostly do harm.

Cruzr Joe
06-20-2016, 11:14 AM
IMHO adding anything to a such a highly engineered product like synthetic or partly synthetic oil is like putting vanilla flavoring in a good beer.

If it does anything it will mostly do harm.

There you go spydercodes, now Bob will have to try Vanilla flavoring in his beer because you mentioned it. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Cruzr Joe

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Pardon my cynicism but I think what it would stabilize the most is the angle of the downward slope of the quantity of dollar bills in your pocket! :roflblack: