PDA

View Full Version : Another reason we wear full Hemlets..

IWN2RYD
09-11-2010, 11:37 AM
This is a friend of a friend... http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012866734_motorcycle11.html?syndication=rss

SpyderRyder2B
09-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks. No longer will I worry about helmet hair and squished cheeks!:doorag:

SpyderWolf
09-11-2010, 09:11 PM
That is sad. I wear a full face helmet as well, even though I live where helmets are optional.

Raptor
09-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Nothing but Full Face for me. I like the way they feel and I like the level of protection. I also love the sick graphics you can put on a full face! :D

And I wish the injured rider all the best. I hope he recovers fully.

Gimpy Girl
09-12-2010, 08:13 AM
I made the switch to a full face after my accident on 2 wheels. Tore a big ol hole in my upper lip and broke a bunch of teeth due to my shorty helmet. Lesson learned the hard way!

Firefly
09-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Hope your friend pulls through okay--- you just never know when an accident can happen.

IWN2RYD
09-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Hope your friend pulls through okay--- you just never know when an accident can happen.

Thank you... The scary part is the low speed. The bike of course has bent forks, but is drivable (You know.. in the driveway).

We all think at some point in our life "It will not happen to me"... Ok.. Hope not. But to jam your jaw or nose into your head @ 20+mph is not a good idea.

I will not go into any great detail... But we all know this from other readings... The force of us hitting something @ 30mph is like falling from a three story building.

If I remember right the multiplier is either 5x or 10x the weight of an item in our arms (Like a baby or animal) and going from 30mph to zero... So if we are going 30 mph the item weighing 30lbs now weighs 300lbs?!?! Or something like that...

Anyway... This was only one of a few to many accidents this past week. Unfortunately none of the other riders survived.... :(

SpyderFun
09-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Thank you... The scary part is the low speed.

:agree:

I myself usually ride w/o a helmet thru the back roads going only 20-30mph due to enjoying the feeling of the wind on my face while taking in the scenery. Faster than that, it is a full face helmet.

However, given this info, I may want to reconsider my "enjoyment" over potential injury. But I think most of us ride because of the feeling of freedom we experience over that of driving a car. Just have to figure out the balance between personal enjoyment and the risk of serious personal injury.

MouthPiece
09-12-2010, 02:29 PM
I rarely wear a helmet. "and we're off"!!!

Smylinacha
09-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I wore my full face today. I'm a beanie person but it was cold out and ya know what, I think I'm gonna continue wearing it - I did feel more protected. :)

NancysToy
09-12-2010, 05:46 PM
I wore my full face today. I'm a beanie person but it was cold out and ya know what, I think I'm gonna continue wearing it - I did feel more protected. :)
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Raptor
09-12-2010, 07:03 PM
I guess I'm the weird one here, and it would not be the first time! :roflblack: I happen to like the way a good fitting full face helmet feels around my head. Today's helmets are comfortable and the technology that goes into the liners and venting systems makes it easy to be in a lid all day long! Plus I just feel good knowing I have good prtection all around my head. Already I have been hit right in the shield with a pine cone and got a rock in the throat, but the rock caught the lower jaw piece of the helmet and then ricochet off onto the throat area. So all I got was a small mark instead of, well, who knows what! :shocked:

dewie
09-12-2010, 08:42 PM
well kids I have a story to share so gather round.

Last June I hopped on my Hayabusa and me a two buddies went on a 4 day bike trip, I've always had a full face HJC and cause of the wind noise and bad fit I flipped the coin out for a comfy lightweight Shoei, which went nicely with my full leather suit and boots. After hitting some of the twistiest corners we could find in the upper left coast we came home.

I was coming home to my 5 month old pregnet wife, 11k from home doing the speed limit (yes hayabusa do speed limits) I was on a single lane highway passing a gravel truck (or imagine garbage truck), he turned infront of me with no working brake lights or signals, I was doing 80k and had 60ft to stop. I jumped on both brakes and ended up doing a endo into him. I literally hit head first, the crown of my head to be technical.

I woke up right away and figured out it wasen't good, I broke 5 vertibra 2 where a "burst fracture" so the couldn't find the one vertibra cause it blew up, also broke a few ribs, sternum, wrist, blew my shoulder out and a few other things. I had NO road rash thanks to the gear.

I'm paraliysed from my armpits down, BUT I'M ALIVE AND HERE TODAY THANKS TO A QUALITY FULL FACE HELMET. It's your god given right to ride with no helmet or half helemt or brain bucket, but when your chewing creamed corn in the hospital babbling nonsense enjoy the brian injury. It can happen to you at any time so don't think it won't.

Less than a year later I was rolling on Spydee with a new Shoei RF1100 and leathers. Be smart, if not for you for your famliy.

Raptor
09-12-2010, 09:09 PM

Last June I hopped on my Hayabusa and me a two buddies went on a 4 day bike trip, I've always had a full face HJC and cause of the wind noise and bad fit I flipped the coin out for a comfy lightweight Shoei, which went nicely with my full leather suit and boots. After hitting some of the twistiest corners we could find in the upper left coast we came home.

I was coming home to my 5 month old pregnet wife, 11k from home doing the speed limit (yes hayabusa do speed limits) I was on a single lane highway passing a gravel truck (or imagine garbage truck), he turned infront of me with no working brake lights or signals, I was doing 80k and had 60ft to stop. I jumped on both brakes and ended up doing a endo into him. I literally hit head first, the crown of my head to be technical.

I woke up right and figured out it wasen't good right away, I broke 5 vertibra 2 where a "burst fracture" so the couldn't find the one vertibra cause it blew up, also broke a few ribs, sternum, wrist, blew my shoulder out and a few other things. I had NO road rash thanks to the gear.

I'm paraliysed from my armpits down, BUT I'M ALIVE AND HERE TODAY THANKS TO A QUALITY FULL FACE HELMET. It's you god given right to ride with no helmet or half helemt or brain bucket, but when your chewing creamed corn in the hospital babbling nonsense enjoy the brian injury. It can happen to you at any time so don't think it won't.

Less than a year later I was rolling on Spydee with a new Shoei RF1100 and leathers. Be smart, if not for you for your famliy.

I have nothing to add to that except thank you for sharing and so glad you have the guts to keep riding. So ride on Sir and stay safe. :thumbup: BTW, I have a RF-1100 as well and I think that is the most comortable of the 4 lids that I own. That one and the EXO-1000 get the most use.

SpyderWolf
09-13-2010, 05:39 AM

I woke up right away and figured out it wasen't good, I broke 5 vertibra 2 where a "burst fracture" so the couldn't find the one vertibra cause it blew up, also broke a few ribs, sternum, wrist, blew my shoulder out and a few other things. I had NO road rash thanks to the gear.

I'm paraliysed from my armpits down, BUT I'M ALIVE AND HERE TODAY THANKS TO A QUALITY FULL FACE HELMET. It's your god given right to ride with no helmet or half helemt or brain bucket, but when your chewing creamed corn in the hospital babbling nonsense enjoy the brian injury. It can happen to you at any time so don't think it won't.

Wow, thanks for sharing that with us. I am glad you are still here so you could share it as well.

Justin
09-13-2010, 01:05 PM
I have nothing to add to that except thank you for sharing and so glad you have the guts to keep riding. So ride on Sir and stay safe. :thumbup: BTW, I have a RF-1100 as well and I think that is the most comortable of the 4 lids that I own. That one and the EXO-1000 get the most use.

I run the matte black ARAI RX-Q and an EXO-1000. Both are great helmets.

SpyderDon
09-13-2010, 01:57 PM
I had an accident on two wheels at approximately 20 mph. Car turned in front of me I overeacted and went down. Broke 9 ribs, punctured a lung, broken scapula and clavical. Ended with a broken helmet but no head injury, scrapecd leather jacket no road rash. Toes of my boot was worn badly but my foot was unhurt.

Bottom line, maybe not wearing gear is sexy, but if I had been in anything other than what I was wearing I would have suffered much worse.

My wife made me sell the motorcycle but I talked her into looking at the Can-Am and I honestly think she likes it as much as I do. She plans on getting her license, shocked the he** outa me.

So far love my RTS, goes in for the 600 miler Wednesday.

Raptor
09-13-2010, 03:00 PM
I run the matte black ARAI RX-Q and an EXO-1000. Both are great helmets.

Very Cool! My EXO-1000 is matte Black as well to go with 14. I love this lid! The visor within the visor is a very nice touch. I use the mirror outside and the dark smoke inside so I can ride all day and into the night without having to pull over to chage visors. Just a flip of the lever and I'm good to go! It's also a Super comfortable helmet and is stable past 125 so far without any head-bob or anything like that.

The only complaint I have heard on this lid is that it's a bit heavy. but not to me. Of course, I am a bit larger so maybe I just don't notice it. Either way, if I'm gonna really ride, I tend to reach for that one first. I can't afford the Arai. Maybe some day, but betwen the Shoei and the EXO I feel pretty good about what I'm wearing. The Icon is my day runner. Fits well and is great for hot weather and stayin in the hood but not very stable at high speeds...

Justin
09-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Very Cool! My EXO-1000 is matte Black as well to go with 14. I love this lid! The visor within the visor is a very nice touch. I use the mirror outside and the dark smoke inside so I can ride all day and into the night without having to pull over to chage visors. Just a flip of the lever and I'm good to go! It's also a Super comfortable helmet and is stable past 125 so far without any head-bob or anything like that.

The only complaint I have heard on this lid is that it's a bit heavy. but not to me. Of course, I am a bit larger so maybe I just don't notice it. Either way, if I'm gonna really ride, I tend to reach for that one first. I can't afford the Arai. Maybe some day, but betwen the Shoei and the EXO I feel pretty good about what I'm wearing. The Icon is my day runner. Fits well and is great for hot weather and stayin in the hood but not very stable at high speeds...

I find I get a good wind buffet with my head to the side with the EXO. With the Arai looking to the side, there is no difference with looking ahead. Another nice touch of the RX-Q is the wider eyeport and emergency pull to get the helmet off. I don't find the weight of the EXO bothering, but it is very noticeable when wear the Arai and it back to back. I have the ICON Domain matte also. I'm a helmet whore.lol I have a few.

Exo 1000
2 Exo 700
2 Exo 400
BRP Modular 2
Arai RX-Q
Joe Rocket RKT201

dmessenger
09-13-2010, 06:15 PM
I became a full face convert when a friend told me this story.

She was in her car, fallowing a Harley with a man and woman rider without helmets. The Harley suddenly went down knocking the female unconscious. She couldn't get the image out of her mind of the limp, unconscious female sliding down the street on her face.

I bought my full face helmet the following day and have not ridden without it.