PDA

View Full Version : DPS recall not being taken too seriously

Dochands
09-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Just got off the phone with Honda of Tulsa.

They said they are doing their recalls in this order:

New bikes in stock (can't be sold until their done)

Existing customer bikes by the order sold.

Sounds like I will be many months away from this being corrected. Apparently they are not concerned about any potential liability issues should my steering lock up.

Is this the way all dealers are approaching this? It seems like existing bikes on the road should have priority over unsold bikes. :gaah:

musicarcade
09-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Just got off the phone with Honda of Tulsa.

They said they are doing their recalls in this order:

New bikes in stock (can't be sold until their done)

Existing customer bikes by the order sold.

Sounds like I will be many months away from this being corrected. Apparently they are not concerned about any potential liability issues should my steering lock up.

Is this the way all dealers are approaching this? It seems like existing bikes on the road should have priority over unsold bikes. :gaah:

Sounds good on paper....
Let's see what happens if a Spyder goes in for service and they hook it up to BUDS, and it says Spyder must remain at service dept. until new DPS is installed.

...And just HOW will they get Spyder owners to bring in their Spyder in numerical order?:shocked::roflblack:

"...Sorry Doc, you were the 18th Spyder sold, we're still waiting for Spyder owners #3 and #4 to show up - we got #5 here, but we're waiting for these other guys first..."

Dochands
09-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Exactly what I was wondering. Plus if they could not sell any new bikes until all the old ones were fixed they would be highly motivated to get it done. :clap:

Firefly
09-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Exactly what I was wondering. Plus if they could not sell any new bikes until all the old ones were fixed they would be highly motivated to get it done. :clap:

Interesting point--- but at least they'll get some practice at doing the installs before getting to yours.....;):D

Since this is a voluntary recall (voluntary on the part of BRP-- not US)--- I guess they can do it however they want-- but your dealer sounds a bit out to lunch....

I think those with actual problems should come first. The rest of us can wait as the Spyder is still safe to ride... just be aware of potential problems.

tweeder
09-09-2010, 01:39 PM
I hope that with that method of madness, that they are not shifting the onus to us to not ride untill its fixed. And if we do and do have a problem, oh well we should have known better?

RoadHammer
09-09-2010, 01:43 PM
sounds like you are the cheerleader for the brp safety division now:gaah:

Interesting point--- but at least they'll get some practice at doing the installs before getting to yours.....;):D

Since this is a voluntary recall (voluntary on the part of BRP-- not US)--- I guess they can do it however they want-- but your dealer sounds a bit out to lunch....

I think those with actual problems should come first. The rest of us can wait as the Spyder is still safe to ride... just be aware of potential problems.

stevedfive
09-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Mine went to the shop yesterday for CB install and they called about the DPS recall, I will let you know what happens.

pastorchuck
09-09-2010, 01:52 PM
I was really looking forward to ryding Saturday in a 9 11 parade in Phelan, California with a group of Spyder Ryders, but my Spyder is at the dealers waiting for the 2nd generation DPS. I took it in on Monday because the steering was going out again. They checked it out and ordered my second DPS replacement that was delivered to dealer today. At the same time they got notice of recall. So, they had to re-order the new part. I have just one stupid question....Why would BRP send the old unit knowing one day later they would be announcing the recall?:hun:

tweeder
09-09-2010, 01:54 PM
oh the other thing with the recall is that the parts are as I was told, are auto shipped to the dealer where the spyder was bought. Which means for me, I gotta drive 14 hrs away instead of 7 which is where the newly trained dealer is.

Raptor
09-09-2010, 02:28 PM

I just got off the phone with my dealer. They are aware of the recall but he was honest with me and mentioned that the first units that they got were for floor models. I told him what a load of CRAP that was, that you had guys riding out there that you needed to take care of first!

He was in total agreement and said that was going to be their approach. But they are still in the process of getting details/literature/etc from BRP. Given this we both agreed that it would be 2 weeks at least before they even had an action plan in place. And no word from BRP what-so-ever on parts availabilty, which was a concern for him. But they are working the problem and seem to be very much in the loop as far as the recall, so that made me feel OK. But don't look for anything to happen soon kids...

DynamoBT
09-09-2010, 02:54 PM
What about those of us who bought their Spyder used from a private seller? I'm not going to take my Spyder to western Massachusetts to get the DPS replaced! I'm going to go to the dealer closest to me now. :gaah:

I guess I will be on the phone to this dealer (who is new to me) when I get my letter from BRP. I can wait. My Spyder is not even on the road this summer. But by early spring next year, I'll want to see some action!!

Dochands
09-09-2010, 02:55 PM
If a recall exists, and new bikes can't be sold without it, it seems the dealers decisions here could put them at considerable liability should an existing rider have an accident because of this problem.

Lamonster
09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Let me clear up some misinformation here.

If you bring your Spyder in for lets say an oil change, they are not told to hold it till they can replace it with a new DPS. They are told to make sure you had the first DPS software update.

All the dealers were auto shipped DPS units based on the volume of Spyders they moved. My dealer got 9 units in yesterday and is changing one out today. It's up to them as to how they want to use those units, they can use them on floor models or they can take care of their customers that's up to them. My dealer is taking care of their customers and pulling the units off the unsold Spyders and sending them in for exchange.

All new DPS units will have to be exchanged with old units so they can get more. So if a dealer gets 5 units he will have to turn in 5 units to get 5 more. If he got 5 units and pulled off 5 from the floor and sends them in he'll get 10 units back.

You do not have to go to the dealer you bought your Spyder from to have this work performed. Best to go to whatever dealer you are using now for your service. Once again it's up to them as to where you fit in as far as their work load goes. If you can find a dealer that has them in hand that's the one to go to. If not they will have to pull yours off and send it in and wait for the new one to be sent back.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

boborgera
09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
BRP wants to sell bikes, Think of it this way = You go in to a showroom 3 or 4 new Spyders are sitting there you say I'll take that one. Then the salesman says can't sell them bad steering box, come back in a few weeks. Most likely one lost Spyder costumer

musicarcade
09-09-2010, 03:43 PM
BRP wants to sell bikes, Think of it this way = You go in to a showroom 3 or 4 new Spyders are sitting there you say I'll take that one. Then the salesman says can't sell them bad steering box, come back in a few weeks. Most likely one lost Spyder costumer

Maybe Keep one in Service Sept. for potential new sale.
If it sells service rep. can explain dps recall and explains how they service what they sell, that service doesn't take back seat at their store. That they do have a DPS for the vehicle and it will be ready to go in three hours?:dontknow:

dave01
09-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Let me clear up some misinformation here.

If you bring your Spyder in for lets say an oil change, they are not told to hold it till they can replace it with a new DPS. They are told to make sure you had the first DPS software update.

All the dealers were auto shipped DPS units based on the volume of Spyders they moved. My dealer got 9 units in yesterday and is changing one out today. It's up to them as to how they want to use those units, they can use them on floor models or they can take care of their customers that's up to them. My dealer is taking care of their customers and pulling the units off the unsold Spyders and sending them in for exchange.

All new DPS units will have to be exchanged with old units so they can get more. So if a dealer gets 5 units he will have to turn in 5 units to get 5 more. If he got 5 units and pulled off 5 from the floor and sends them in he'll get 10 units back.

You do not have to go to the dealer you bought your Spyder from to have this work performed. Best to go to whatever dealer you are using now for your service. Once again it's up to them as to where you fit in as far as their work load goes. If you can find a dealer that has them in hand that's the one to go to. If not they will have to pull yours off and send it in and wait for the new one to be sent back.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Thanks Lamont. That makes more sense to me.:2thumbs::2thumbs:

bonehead
09-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Lamont, my dealer, just found out today about 5 minutes before i called to make appointment that BRP had a issue. He told that they had to do bikes on floor first. then would have to see how many units he had left over for customers bikes. So i told him id call back next week. He said his units would be in Monday or Tuesday, he wasn't sure of the number of units either. The service manager heard it from one of his techs off Spydelovers.com? LOL Lamont's on top of it. :bowdown:
Dealer : MIDDLETOWN, OHIO GREAT GUYS!:2thumbs:

ARtraveler
09-09-2010, 04:19 PM
:agree:thanks Lamont,.

adohring
09-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I was really looking forward to ryding Saturday in a 9 11 parade in Phelan, California with a group of Spyder Ryders, but my Spyder is at the dealers waiting for the 2nd generation DPS. I took it in on Monday because the steering was going out again. They checked it out and ordered my second DPS replacement that was delivered to dealer today. At the same time they got notice of recall. So, they had to re-order the new part. I have just one stupid question....Why would BRP send the old unit knowing one day later they would be announcing the recall?:hun:

So after Lamont's response, I say you head down to your dealership, grab yer Spyder, pull the DPS fuse and head out to the parade with on Saturday morning. Tell'em you'll bring it back on Monday! :2thumbs:

regards,
Arjay

tweeder
09-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks Lamont, you made more sense than the techie did.

docdoru
09-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Shop time tomorrow for DPS replace...Dave and Forest on the list too. :D

dave01
09-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Shop time tomorrow for DPS replace...Dave and Forest on the list too. :D

Hey Doc, When do we go in? I am ready and cam manage that ryde, I think

Lone Spyder Ryder
09-09-2010, 05:49 PM
A word to the wise. After the fire of PE#2683 I have heard a lot about how I should have never been riding it if I had smelled fuel. Talked to my insurance adjuster today and he ask if there had been any fires before this one and had I heard of any other Spyders that this happened to. I had to tell him about the other ones. I kind of got the feeling that he might be one of those who will feel that I was wrong in riding it when there were time you could smell fuel.
if you have a problem with your steering and you continue to ride it, it may come back to haunt you. just telling you how things are starting to sound like to me.

If you took your Spyder to the shop every time the steering got hard to steer or everytime you could smell gas you might as well take it back and give it to them.

It is so easy to second guess others while you do the same. If I had any idea my spyder was going to self ignite it would have been in the shop. I did not smell gas all the time. My steering would get hard to turn a few times in a 3 or 4 hundred mile trip. and then it would happen for no longer than a mile max and go back to working fine.

I never expected the Spyder to be problem free heck it is man made. I do did and will always expect the company that I buy things from to fix the products that go bad and do it in a timly manner. and if its under warranty pay to have it fixed.

The dealers and BRP at times seem to fix some things for some people under warranty and charge others for the same fix.

treat all the same is how it should go
So in closing I want to tell you all. I would love to meet and ride with most :2thumbs: of you and after BRP and Allstate get done I will let you know how things turned out.
You all take care and I wish you all nothing but the best and safe riding :chat::chill:
Leo

SpyderWolf
09-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the updated information Lamont. Since the dealer I purchased from closed, when I am ready to get this done I will have to call around and find a dealer that can accomodate our 2 Spyders. We are not having any problems with ours, so I am more than happy to wait.

A word to the wise. After the fire of PE#2683 I have heard a lot about how I should have never been riding it if I had smelled fuel. Talked to my insurance adjuster today and he ask if there had been any fires before this one and had I heard of any other Spyders that this happened to. I had to tell him about the other ones. I kind of got the feeling that he might be one of those who will feel that I was wrong in riding it when there were time you could smell fuel.
if you have a problem with your steering and you continue to ride it, it may come back to haunt you. just telling you how things are starting to sound like to me.

If you took your Spyder to the shop every time the steering got hard to steer or everytime you could smell gas you might as well take it back and give it to them.

It is so easy to second guess others while you do the same. If I had any idea my spyder was going to self ignite it would have been in the shop. I did not smell gas all the time. My steering would get hard to turn a few times in a 3 or 4 hundred mile trip. and then it would happen for no longer than a mile max and go back to working fine.

I never expected the Spyder to be problem free heck it is man made. I do did and will always expect the company that I buy things from to fix the products that go bad and do it in a timly manner. and if its under warranty pay to have it fixed.

The dealers and BRP at times seem to fix some things for some people under warranty and charge others for the same fix.

treat all the same is how it should go
So in closing I want to tell you all. I would love to meet and ride with most :2thumbs: of you and after BRP and Allstate get done I will let you know how things turned out.
You all take care and I wish you all nothing but the best and safe riding :chat::chill:
Leo

You took it to the shop when you smelled fuel, and they told you everything was okay. That is all the insurance adjuster should be concerned about for taking care of your claim. You did what was reasonably expected of any owner.

I am very glad you were not injured, and hope the insurance company takes good care of you as they should.

Perhaps you need to post the name of your insurance carrier so the rest of us can evaluate whether we want to use them or not, based on your experience. :dontknow:

Sorry for the slight hijack.

Firefly
09-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Interesting stuff pertaining to the insurance guy. I don't see ANY way this fire could be blamed on the owner. Maybe the insurance guy wants to go after brp???

dave01
09-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Interesting stuff pertaining to the insurance guy. I don't see ANY way this fire could be blamed on the owner. Maybe the insurance guy wants to go after brp???

When my Mistubishi gt lit off, the first thing the insyrance company wanted to know was if I had any aftermarket fuel or electrical parts on the car. They wanted to be sure it wasnt due to something I did, but more a mechanical failure. Mine was a kinked fuel line in the engine compartment that just opened up and sprayed a bunch of fuel. POOF, flames and fire.

Firefly
09-09-2010, 08:17 PM
But your insurance *should* cover you even if it was due to something stupid you did!

Crisis
09-09-2010, 09:04 PM
What are the DPS malfunction symptoms?
Thanks

dave01
09-09-2010, 09:06 PM
But your insurance *should* cover you even if it was due to something stupid you did!

I believe the insurance company can go back to the manufacturer if it is a mechanical failure from the original equipment and recouperate some cash and if its otherwise, it comes from them.

SpyderWolf
09-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks

welcome

Most people who have had the problems with steering reported the Spyder wanting to veer to the right when going down a straight road. The steering felt notchy, like it was locked in place, and they had to use extra force to straighten it back out. Sometimes this caused an oversteer condition and could potentially throw them into the lane to their left.

I hope that helps.

NancysToy
09-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks
Usually a "notchy" feel to the steering. It tends to stick in one spot, then when more steering pressure is applied, it gives way suddenly, which can cause overcorrection. Pretty obvious when it happens, but it can happen to varying degrees. The most important thing is to be aware and ready to deal with it, until your DPS is replaced.

Roger
09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Sounds good on paper....
Let's see what happens if a Spyder goes in for service and they hook it up to BUDS, and it says Spyder must remain at service dept. until new DPS is installed.

...And just HOW will they get Spyder owners to bring in their Spyder in numerical order?:shocked::roflblack:

"...Sorry Doc, you were the 18th Spyder sold, we're still waiting for Spyder owners #3 and #4 to show up - we got #5 here, but we're waiting for these other guys first..."

But what if 3 and 4 don't have a dps issue and don't want the new box how does the dealer know? :dontknow:

dave01
09-09-2010, 11:50 PM
But what if 3 and 4 don't have a dps issue and don't want the new box how does the dealer know? :dontknow:

Dealers are doing the installs of the new DPS units however they want to. My dealer is doing one tomorrow, I am on the list for probably Monday of next week, they did a floor model yesterday. Its up to the dealers how they want to schedule them.

Some Guy
09-10-2010, 08:56 AM
My Spyder was the first one sold by my dealer (June 2008)...so I guess I'll be first on the list. However, I'm not having any problems with the DPS, so I'll probably wait until this winter to get it done.

Dochands
09-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Just to be clear. My dealer has not been the most service oriented compared to others I have read about on this forum.

Their policy is their policy because they clearly do not put existing customers first. They want to sell their new Spyders and I guess that is understandable though not exactly endearing to me.

I tried to call BRP yesterday to see what they thought but hung up after infinite on hold. At least my dealer answers the phone. LOL

Fortunately I have not had any problems I have noticed with my steering and the updates have been performed up to this recall. I guess its just a matter of being patient.

dancogan
09-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Just to be clear. My dealer has not been the most service oriented compared to others I have read about on this forum.

Their policy is their policy because they clearly do not put existing customers first. They want to sell their new Spyders and I guess that is understandable though not exactly endearing to me.

I tried to call BRP yesterday to see what they thought but hung up after infinite on hold. At least my dealer answers the phone. LOL

Fortunately I have not had any problems I have noticed with my steering and the updates have been performed up to this recall. I guess its just a matter of being patient.

I understand your frustration, because it is exactly what I went through with my last (and I mean last!) Ford Explorer, which had Firestone tires. The tires were recalled, twice actually, and Ford had plenty of new Goodyear tires for new cars but couldn't find 4 tires to put on my car. I ended up buying my own and then getting partially reimbursed by Ford. Your frustration with your dealer is easy to understand, especially when there are customer oriented dealers out there who will take needed parts off showroom bikes to keep an existing customer on the road.

NancysToy
09-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I understand riders' frustrations with the dealer policies, but let's put this in perspective. A dealer exists to sell his products. He cannot sell any Spyders, or even offer a demo ride, until the Spyders on the floor have the recall performed. How long do you think a prospective customer would stay around if the dealer said, "Yep, these are Spyders, but you can't ride one or have one right now because they have steering problems." I can understand making first priority the Spyders on the floor, including demos.

To me, the next priority should be any owners who have current problems. Let's hope most dealers see it that way, too. After that, They will probably service the squeaky wheel customers...ones that make the most noise, regardless of their actual need. Finally, they will have time for the rest of us.

The dealer is in a difficult position here. He has his priorities, then he has to come up with a way to handle things without making enemies, getting bashed, or having bad publicity. Some will try first-come, first-served, some will try to do things in order of their sales, and some will just take them as they come. Despite BRP's official position on this, some will even refuse to release a serviced Spyder until the recall is done. I don't envy their situation at all.

With the software recall, BRP got the cart ahead of the horse, notifying customers before they even had the new software written, and in dealer hands. Dealers were not notified any sooner than the owners, so everybody had to wait. This time, BRP tried to get ahead of the game, and notify dealers ASAP after the NHTSA, getting the parts in shipment at the same time, too. They did a much better job, IMO. Unfortunately, the Internet age still managed to bite them. Although none of us has received a recall letter yet, we are already breathing down the dealers' necks, and even trying to schedule the work. It is no wonder there is confusion, frustration, and some glitches. We all need to be patient and understanding, and let this thing take its course.

Dudley
09-10-2010, 12:16 PM
I read somewhere in the past, the best thing to do if you feel your DPS pulling is to shut off the engine with the RED kill switch, there by depriving your DPS with the electrical energy it needs to function, giving you back "manual" steering. Now, if you can do that in "PANIC" mode, you're better than most of us. I was told by a BRP tech that another possible way is to shut off your throttle, which will reduce the electrical feed to the DPS, hopefully causing it to release the "lock mode" and straighten out. I have never had to do either one, so this is just "food for thought", not any information to be taken as "expert quality".

scudrunner
09-10-2010, 12:31 PM
My dealer has not been the most service oriented compared to others I have read about on this forum.
Hmm, you coming all the way to Galveston to get your work done? Sounds like my dealer. Mine is sitting in their lot, under the sun and stars waiting for a tool that they should have ordered 3 months ago. I think I'll wait a while for the DPS and let someone else sit on the lot for a while.

Dudley
09-10-2010, 12:35 PM
I agree, dealers will do what they want in most cases, and many do not have the business sense God gave a billy goat. Their main and sometimes only goal is to sell units. What's so hard to understand that after-the-sale service is more important than before the service sale. The good will and free advertisement from a satisfied customer is priceless and FREE! So the word spread by dissatisfied customers will turn people away from dealing with the dealership. Customer service is just part of doing business. If you don't have it in this economy, the doors will close in due time.
How would I tell a customer about the DPS needing changing on a new Spyder? Tell them the truth! If you tell the customer that you are waiting for an improved DPS unit to replace the one on the new Spyder, they will understand. If you try and BS them they will see through you and walk out. That's just simple business sense. I would make appointments as I get them, telling the owners that as I receive the units, they will get a call back for an appointment. Doing the change by Spyders sold order is stupid.

Firefly
09-10-2010, 12:36 PM
The owners manual specifically has a section showing you how to do a kill switch stop with directions to practice the procedure so you'll be ready during such an emergency. Kill switch should always be used to shut bike down so you think of it first should you need to do an emergency shutdown.

Dudley
09-10-2010, 12:38 PM
The owners manual specifically has a section showing you how to do a kill switch stop with directions to practice the procedure so you'll be ready during such an emergency. Kill switch should always be used to shut bike down so you think of it first should you need to do an emergency shutdown.

Owner's Manual? What Owner's Manual???:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Yes there is such a section. But one has to "read" the manual first.

JohnE
09-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Talked to my dealer this morning about other issues with my
RT-S and he said that the DPS Recall is only for certain serial no.s and he has not received any DPS units. Is this correct or not?

NancysToy
09-10-2010, 02:31 PM
RT-S and he said that the DPS Recall is only for certain serial no.s and he has not received any DPS units. Is this correct or not?
This second recall covers all units produced through August 19, 2010. Technically, it does list serial numbers, but all 2008, 2009, and 2010 Spyders are included. He may well have not received any DPS units yet...my dealer hasn't.

JohnE
09-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks Scotty

Firefly
09-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Maybe they should have made a popup version instead! Lol

Realize I had 9 months of waiting for my spyder to read the manual....... ;-)

boborgera
09-10-2010, 03:05 PM

Owners manuals are like instruction manuals=
For amateurs only.:ohyea::roflblack:

Raptor
09-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I understand riders' frustrations with the dealer policies, but let's put this in perspective. A dealer exists to sell his products. He cannot sell any Spyders, or even offer a demo ride, until the Spyders on the floor have the recall performed. How long do you think a prospective customer would stay around if the dealer said, "Yep, these are Spyders, but you can't ride one or have one right now because they have steering problems." I can understand making first priority the Spyders on the floor, including demos.

I think a good compromise woud be to fix a few on the floor and share some of the incoming with the field so they can foster good will with their customer base. If a customer wants to buy one that isn't fixed yet, make that part of the prep and do it. This all depends of course on how many the dealer actually has on the floor. Not everyone has a bunch of inventory on hand.

To me, the next priority should be any owners who have current problems. Let's hope most dealers see it that way, too.

Absolutely. Those are the guys I am worried about the most! I already told my dealer that if he has somebady who is having a DPS issue do his bike before mine even if I'm in front of him on the list. Mine seems fine and I can wait.

The dealer is in a difficult position here. He has his priorities, then he has to come up with a way to handle things without making enemies, getting bashed, or having bad publicity. Some will try first-come, first-served, some will try to do things in order of their sales, and some will just take them as they come. Despite BRP's official position on this, some will even refuse to release a serviced Spyder until the recall is done. I don't envy their situation at all.

I agree. This is a situation not of their making, and it will be tough sledding for many of them. I'm just gonna work with my guys and let them work it out the best way they can. Keep in cantact but don't harass. I have faith that they'll get 'er done. in the mean time, I'll just back down a little bit, not ride so darn hard and wait for my turn. I know it's going to be a long while, but 14 is OK and the RS-S is great so we are in good shape. I just hope nothing else happens in between! :D

Firefly
09-10-2010, 03:48 PM
I feel worst for those that gave up on the spyder before brp could get this fix ready..... But I Lso understand why they felt the need to move on.

I sure hope this fix puts this issue to rest!

Sarge707
09-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I,m just Happy mine is running Great (No More Limp) and because I missed 6 weeks of riding in
early summer I,m making up for it now in the cooler New England weather.
Saw a B24, B17 and P51 Mustang today in Oxford and going to the Air Museum Tomorrow .
No rush here- Want to see how others react to their Flu Shot!!:chat:

dave01
09-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I feel worst for those that gave up on the spyder before brp could get this fix ready..... But I Lso understand why they felt the need to move on.

I sure hope this fix puts this issue to rest!

Thats why I sold my RS. 3 dps units and I could not trust it anymore. Since the 3rd unit, it has worked perfect.

My dealer has done one rt on the floor and has 2 units for the RS floor models. The others are already going on spyders. Believe me, after the crap I went thru with my last spyder, it would be hard for me to wait to get mine done. The RT has been great so far with no issues, but.......

bjt
09-10-2010, 05:02 PM
...Realize I had 9 months of waiting for my spyder to read the manual....... ;-)

7 months for me. I read through the manual a couple of times while waiting. :thumbup:

Sny
09-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I was just thinking, most of us wouldn't be so anxious to get the 2nd Gen DPS right now if we didn't hear about it here...

One day a piece of paper would show up and tell us there's a new DPS for your Spyder; you'd schedule it, and get it replaced.

I'm sure BRP's only sending out the letters as fast as they can distribute the new units.

So I'm going to pretend like I haven't heard about it... and go ryde some more.

And when that letter arrives, I'll even pretend to be excited about it all over again :joke:

MouthPiece
09-10-2010, 07:03 PM

That's the same song and dance I got yesterday from my dealer. That's why I asked, in a different thread, just WHAT the new bulletin said. Lamont responded with "ALL" spyders are involved.

I probably made the mistake of talking to the "desk clerk" and should have gone "to the mountain" for my answers. As I said in the other thread. I'm not having any issues so I'll just wait.

Chris PE # 0004

millers1
09-10-2010, 09:01 PM
We'll wait for the letter from BRP, then we'll make sure the parts are in stock... get an apointment... and THEN the Spyder will go to the shop. My fear of having ANY bike in the shop while waiting on parts for any period of time is someone accidently bumping into it or dropping something on it.. creating another problem.

Dudley
09-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Owners manuals are like instruction manuals=
For amateurs only.:ohyea::roflblack:

Well, I have ridden since 1966 and I still consider myself an amateur after almost, if not, 500,000 accident and ticket free miles (except a little fender bender with another nameless Spyder rider). To me, Owners' Manuals serve a purpose...to try and help you know the particular Spyder or motorcycle and maybe even save your life. If, in your opinion, the manual if for amateurs, that's up to you.

go2lkg
09-10-2010, 09:31 PM
I went into my dealer today to discuss the DPS as I had my first steering issue 2 weeks ago, after over 2 years of problem free riding. The parts manager showed me the letter they received from BRP, which was dated 9/7, explaining that the DPS replacement has to occur on ALL models, old and new. He said that they had not received any replacement parts yet and that they would be allotted a certain amount that they could not change or order more. He also said that they had been instructed to ask for the 'recall letter', which I assume is BRPs way of controlling the allocation of parts. My issue is this...I HAVE REPORTED THE ISSUE AND THERE IS A PRODUCT WIDE RECALL...why don't I and others who have experienced and reported the problem have the ability to prioritize our bikes being worked on. It is as if BRP is holding the dealers 'hostage' and not allowing them to manage the recall response based on the way they see fit. I love my Spyder but I have yet understand BRPs inability to manage issues that are of their making. :gaah:

SpyderWolf
09-10-2010, 10:48 PM
I went into my dealer today to discuss the DPS as I had my first steering issue 2 weeks ago, after over 2 years of problem free riding. The parts manager showed me the letter they received from BRP, which was dated 9/7, explaining that the DPS replacement has to occur on ALL models, old and new. He said that they had not received any replacement parts yet and that they would be allotted a certain amount that they could not change or order more. He also said that they had been instructed to ask for the 'recall letter', which I assume is BRPs way of controlling the allocation of parts. My issue is this...I HAVE REPORTED THE ISSUE AND THERE IS A PRODUCT WIDE RECALL...why don't I and others who have experienced and reported the problem have the ability to prioritize our bikes being worked on. It is as if BRP is holding the dealers 'hostage' and not allowing them to manage the recall response based on the way they see fit. I love my Spyder but I have yet understand BRPs inability to manage issues that are of their making. :gaah:

I hate to say it, but this sounds like a story your dealer has made up on their own based on how they want to handle it. Other members on here have already had the new DPS replaced and are reporting it in this thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22706 . Others have reported their dealer has not received any new DPS units yet, but they are expecting them to arrive very soon.

Since yours is currently having problems, I would continue to push the issue with your dealer to get the unit replaced as quickly as possible. Best of luck with it.

ElkSpyder
09-11-2010, 06:45 AM
welcome

Most people who have had the problems with steering reported the Spyder wanting to veer to the right when going down a straight road. The steering felt notchy, like it was locked in place, and they had to use extra force to straighten it back out. Sometimes this caused an oversteer condition and could potentially throw them into the lane to their left.

I hope that helps.

Last Sunday during an MDA ride I had this exact thing happen for the first time in 29,000 miles, TWICE. That is why my dealer did the recall yesterday. DId not want to make the Memphis and SITS run without the recall being done.

scudrunner
09-11-2010, 02:18 PM
I just spoke to my dealer's service manager about my naked Spyder in his shop, and I wanted to ask about the DPS (which he calls the DSP...:helpsmilie:).
He said he got 3 RT and 5 RS units in (which came in before he knew about the recall). Since mine is in the shop for a clutch, parking brake fix and audio problems, he's going to change out the DPS in mine next week. :2thumbs:. He hasn't started on the 2 showroom models yet.
I guess the other day when I voiced my concern to the GM that the service manager didn't know anything about what was going on in his shop must have done some good. Today he knew all about it.

AZ Desert Spyder
09-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I just called my dealer and they said they got 7 DPS units in and immediately started replacing them on the sales floor because they are not allowed to sell them with old units with the recall in place and they admitted it was a "business" decision! I don't understand why they only received 7 since they've sold dozens of Spyders, but my guess is that BRP is sending each dealer enough to cover their floor models first to keep their sales going. They told me they would call me by Tuesday and let me know when they'll have a unit for me.
Here's my question? Shouldn't we get a notice from BRP when there is a recall? I would think all original buyers would be notified. How do they expect folks who don't monitor these blogs to ever know they need to get the DPS replaced? It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't such a potentially major safety issue.

dave01
09-11-2010, 06:18 PM
They should have only gotten 5. I was told that was what BRP is allowing each dealer, regardless of sales. A written notice is being sent to all owners. We just got the information quicker on this site.

sinko
09-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks
CRISIS youll soon know when it plays up i found out doing 140ks coming into a corner first is wet pants secondly grab a handful of bars and pull like ya never pulled before then wamo around the corner ya go more than ya expect then back again , all good after a couple of smokes and two shot glasses of good ol whiskey . Best thing about it is on the same trip on a straight road 150-160 ks feet on the bars and go for it Regards Sinko good ol australia:2thumbs:

NancysToy
09-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I just called my dealer and they said they got 7 DPS units in and immediately started replacing them on the sales floor because they are not allowed to sell them with old units with the recall in place and they admitted it was a "business" decision! I don't understand why they only received 7 since they've sold dozens of Spyders, but my guess is that BRP is sending each dealer enough to cover their floor models first to keep their sales going. They told me they would call me by Tuesday and let me know when they'll have a unit for me.
Here's my question? Shouldn't we get a notice from BRP when there is a recall? I would think all original buyers would be notified. How do they expect folks who don't monitor these blogs to ever know they need to get the DPS replaced? It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't such a potentially major safety issue.
They will send a letter, a copy of which has been posted elsewhere on this forum. The cart is ahead of the horse, although BRP tried real hard to prevent it. This time they got notice to the dealers and parts to the dealers, ahead of the notification letter, but not fast enought to beat the Internet. We all need to have a little patience. The letter will explain, and will arrive soon.

There are a couple of rumors about the number of DPS units. One post said five to each dealer, another said 10% of their Spyder sales. No word on how that is distributed between RS and RT units, which are different from each other. It matters little. If it is 10% of sales, and a dealer has stocked 10 Spyder RTs, for instance, he could get as few as one RT DPS at a time. If he has 2 RTs on the floor, that means it will be quite a while before he gets to the rest. If a person is not having problems, he/she should take it easy (provided the first recall was done if it is a 2008-2009 RS). There is no immediate danger for a Spyder that is performing properly right now. No need to panic.

Desert Spyder
09-11-2010, 07:53 PM

I recall the PDF file saying the notices would be sent out on or near the 15th.

johnnyg
09-11-2010, 08:16 PM
I took my Rt in today to have the front tires roated. Lance one of the service rep called me Firday to let me know that my RT had one of the serial numbers on the recall list. they did the tires and the DPS work in about three hours. I picked it up this afternoon Rides great an stears fine. they told me the same thing people are talking on the web, here the're putting them on the show room first then to the customers. I have hi reguard for the service department at Ridenow here in Ocala,FL :spyder2:

Star Cruiser
09-12-2010, 06:50 PM

It takes two hours.....so install the DPS when you do the Dealer Pre pre sale. Why would you prepare 8 models that you have on the floor when you are not likely to sell that many in the next week?

wyliec
09-12-2010, 07:47 PM
It takes two hours.....so install the DPS when you do the Dealer Pre pre sale. Why would you prepare 8 models that you have on the floor when you are not likely to sell that many in the next week?

I like your thinking. :2thumbs:

boborgera
09-12-2010, 09:57 PM

Sounds good, If the dealer has a DPS sitting in stock.
Evidently BRP is playing tit for tat with the dealers, [Previously sold Spyders] Pull a DPS out, send it back ,then they'll send another one back to the dealer. But i guess this is all speculation at this time ,we'll all know how it will go down for real in the next few weeks.

scudrunner
09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
As I was told, CanAm didn't want a parts shortage that has happened in the past. So they did the allocation, based on floor plan and sold. However that came out, my dealer got 5 RS and 3 RT DPS's. Apparently, the units are being returned to the subcontractor for credit back to CanAm. The parts cost a penny each.

wyliec
09-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Sounds good, If the dealer has a DPS sitting in stock.
Evidently BRP is playing tit for tat with the dealers, [Previously sold Spyders] Pull a DPS out, send it back ,then they'll send another one back to the dealer. But i guess this is all speculation at this time ,we'll all know how it will go down for real in the next few weeks.

They get 5 and then they send 5 back and get 5 more and so on. There have been a number of members who were told that by their dealers as I was.

Firefly
09-12-2010, 10:45 PM
sounds like you are the cheerleader for the brp safety division now:gaah:

Rah Rah-- Sis Boom Bah! :roflblack:

SpyderSteve
09-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Rah Rah-- Sis Boom Bah! :roflblack: :clap: :roflblack:

SpyderWolf
09-13-2010, 05:48 AM
Rah Rah-- Sis Boom Bah! :roflblack:

:2thumbs:

I love the new avatar! :D

M2Wild
09-13-2010, 06:47 AM
I took my Rt in today to have the front tires roated.
Front tires aren't generally rotated due to the directional tread pattern. If rotated, they need to be peeled off the rims and rebalanced for the other side. Rather costly doing that.

mooneych
09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I called my dealer, here in Virgina on Saturday morning, and the service manager said that Brown had just delivered 10 DPS units about an hour ago. He asked me to bring in the bike (2009 RS) in that day. I get the bike back on Wednesday and will report on how the steering feels. I have had small problems with the steering, mostly with it "stiffening", then releasing. I will know immediately if it solves the problem.
I have to say that the dealer in Woodbridge VA has really stood by their product and have an outstanding team, in both parts and service. I am pleased.:clap::2excited: