PDA

View Full Version : DPS Recall in PDF form

spyder30517
09-06-2010, 09:17 AM
http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2009/V/RCDNN-09V162-9526.pdf

Very interesting stuff.
I saw this on my Facebook page this morning from another Spyder Ryder

stgilmer
09-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Very Interesting! I thought we were fixed with multiple DPS replacements.:dontknow:
So, that was a temp fix, when I and many others were told it was "fixed".:lecturef_smilie:
I look forward to it, won't have that funny feeling in the back of my mind.:congrats:BRP.

dave01
09-06-2010, 10:38 AM
I guess we just wait for the paperwork to get mailed to us and see whats up.

stgilmer
09-06-2010, 10:40 AM
I guess we just wait for the paperwork to get mailed to us and see whats up.
:agree:

BajaRon
09-06-2010, 10:49 AM
It's coming.... The final chapter in the DPS drama. :thumbup:

Now what will we have to talk about? :dontknow:

SpyderWolf
09-06-2010, 11:01 AM

Mods! :D

I suppose we could talk about more Performance Testing as well though. ;)

BajaRon
09-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Mods! :D

I suppose we could talk about more Performance Testing as well though. ;)

Actually, I'm not worried. It will be nice to put the DPS issue behind us, that is for sure. :ohyea:

SpyderWolf
09-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Actually, I'm not worried. It will be nice to put the DPS issue behind us, that is for sure. :ohyea:

True, true. nojoke

Firefly
09-06-2010, 11:34 AM

OIL ! :roflblack:

dave01
09-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Premium or regular gas?
Car tires versus Spyder tires?
Helmets or no helmets?
Proper belt tension?
To top off or not to top off?

SpyderWolf
09-06-2010, 11:54 AM

:roflblack:

That reminds me, time to order new filters to do oil changes on our Spyders before SitS. :thumbup:

Some Guy
09-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Premium or regular gas?
Car tires versus Spyder tires?
Helmets or no helmets?

Tire pressure?
Windshield cleaner?
:D

BajaRon
09-06-2010, 12:22 PM

Ok, so the required horse has been delivered, now all we need is our bats! :bdh:

Rando
09-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Now what will we have to talk about? :dontknow:I hate to bring it up but what about the fires?

SpyderWolf
09-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I hate to bring it up but what about the fires?

That is actually a valid question. If I recall correctly, the only ones who have reported a fire so far are those who have not had the vent tube extended. So, I think that may be the actual fix for the fire issue. :dontknow:

Saluda
09-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Very happy to read this. Hoping this issue is put to bed for good.

ataDude
09-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Great news for everyone!

This could get me back on one... after you guys tell me how it's working. ;)

groundeffect
09-06-2010, 02:34 PM

Absolutely !! Fingers are crossed. BRP - Great to hear of this!!!

jimclarkf1
09-06-2010, 03:39 PM
It looks like it might be TRUE:clap:, I have not had problems but I was thinking sooner or later:gaah: and wouldn't it be GREAT to have ATTADUDE back and meet him in CUBA MO, next SPRING. I bet 600+ will be there:2thumbs:

Mo Lee
09-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I for one am impressed, this will be a major undertaking and if BRP can fix all Spyders I for one will spend money with them again. Fire issue I'm happy with the idea of extending the vent hose out of harms way and I believe that is the best fix possible short of complete redesign.

docdoru
09-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Sprockets...:shocked:

dave01
09-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Ok, so the required horse has been delivered, now all we need is our bats! :bdh:

Have bat, ready to go
http://www.groomsmangifts.us/weddinggifts/cj_GC187_Rawlings_Baseball_bat_free_engraving_incl uded_in_block_font_shown_groomsmangifts_.jpg

dave01
09-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks Ron, now this will bring up Aluminum bats versus wooden bats.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

NancysToy
09-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks Ron, now this will bring up Aluminum bats versus wooden bats.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Don't forget modified (corked) bats. You know how we like mods. :roflblack:

Sarge707
09-06-2010, 05:22 PM
It will ease my mind a Great Deal but you still need to beware as its a machine.
It will Increase the perceived value and Resale value without the DPS Cloud hanging over ALL of our heads!!nojoke

GhostRyder
09-06-2010, 05:39 PM
GOOD POSTING! :trike:

SpyderRyder2B
09-06-2010, 06:28 PM
http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2009/V/RCDNN-09V162-9526.pdf

Very interesting stuff.

Thanks for the information. :thumbup:

WaltH
09-06-2010, 06:30 PM
I have frequently said that I would not buy a new RT until BRP explained what caused the steering disease and what the remedy will be. This is very good news for me, indeed.

WaltH
09-06-2010, 06:33 PM
I for one am impressed, this will be a major undertaking and if BRP can fix all Spyders I for one will spend money with them again. Fire issue I'm happy with the idea of extending the vent hose out of harms way and I believe that is the best fix possible short of complete redesign.
The best remedy is the canisterectomy.

hevnbound
09-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Think it will apply to those who have had the DPS replaced already? ... I assume the replacements were the original model?

Also ... I've got to ask this. My original exhaust was replaced because of the the burn spot. Now the replacement not only has the burn spot but the paint is coming off. I haven't seen any complaints about the burn spot on the exhausts in quite sometime. Was it resolved and I missed the memo?

hondaman
09-06-2010, 07:11 PM
I saw this a few weeks back and was told the recall was coming this month.:2thumbs:

NancysToy
09-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Think it will apply to those who have had the DPS replaced already? ... I assume the replacements were the original model?
BRP Intends to retrofit worldwide all CAN-AM SPYDER Roadsters manufactured August 19, 2010 with the next generation DPS system In the United States. BRP will notify all owners, including those that responded to the previous remedy notice, to return the vehicles to their dealers for further repair pursuant to Safety Recall No. 09-V162 .
I'd say yes!

Big Arm
09-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Now the wait for the official letter in my mail box:popcorn:

Smylinacha
09-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Cool :2thumbs:- good to hear as we were never told it was fixed after HDX asked Carlo and Carlo's boss. The question was never answered. I've ridden it since and no problems but was always in the back of my mind that it could go again another time I was riding it. Hope this is the final chapter to the DPS!

NancysToy
09-06-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm sure BRP hopes it is the final chapter, too. This amounts to some $13 million worth of DPS units, not counting non-US Spyders, and not including labor. I would expect that they are very, very sure, with that kind of expenditure! :thumbup:

Roger
09-06-2010, 08:59 PM

The Flux Capaciter. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Recluze
09-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Great news for everyone!

This could get me back on one... after you guys tell me how it's working. ;)

I may get back on one also if it really is fixed this time. I am not sure how you would be able to tell as mine use to go some 10,000 miles or so between failures.

Sounds like BRP may be sure if they are going to change some 16,000 DPS units. Good luck waiting for the parts.

NancysToy
09-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Judging by the C.C. on the last page of the recall correspondence, I'd bet that BRP isn't paying for the whole party.......:helpsmilie:
Quite possible.

BajaRon
09-06-2010, 09:41 PM

Sure! The 2 people that have turbo's can yack up a storm about this one! :roflblack:

BajaRon
09-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Have bat, ready to go
http://www.groomsmangifts.us/weddinggifts/cj_GC187_Rawlings_Baseball_bat_free_engraving_incl uded_in_block_font_shown_groomsmangifts_.jpg

Don't forget modified (corked) bats. You know how we like mods. :roflblack:

Hmmm.....I can see we're going to have some fun 'Batting' this one around!

Firefly
09-06-2010, 10:56 PM
The best remedy is the canisterectomy.

Firefly
09-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Anyone know where the original units were made?

I know Kongsberg is in Norway, but not sure if they made them there. My new DPS says it's made in Canada. Not sure about the 'old' one.

Anyone??

powerbyaj
09-07-2010, 05:25 AM
That is actually a valid question. If I recall correctly, the only ones who have reported a fire so far are those who have not had the vent tube extended. So, I think that may be the actual fix for the fire issue. :dontknow:

I've had no gas smell issue after my fire with new vent tube.

SpyderWolf
09-07-2010, 05:38 AM

That is very encouraging news, and I definitely hope it stays that way.

PCBeachBum
09-07-2010, 06:04 AM
I was told by a tech at my dealer, they are sick of seeing my Spyder in there for a fix. I told him, fix it right and you won't see me and now with my 2nd dps replacement, I'm getting a squeek in the steering.

Its going to take a lot to convince me they came up with a solution to this problem. With the first unit part number 709400453 that lasted for just over 2300 miles and now with the second dps replacement and part number 709400870, this one started acting up a couple of weeks ago, with less than 400 miles on it.

It felt like I was in a rut making a slight right turn like the first one, on a flat smooth road but, didn't lockup like the original one or have the notchy feeling after moving the handlebars less than an inch as in the first replacement. Now I'm hearing the squeek more and wonder if the mouse needs replacing. I hope the Mickey is covered under the warranty.

If not I'll go down to Pets Mart and buy one for a buck, if that.

NancysToy
09-07-2010, 06:33 AM
I was told by a tech at my dealer, they are sick of seeing my Spyder in there for a fix. I told him, fix it right and you won't see me and now with my 2nd dps replacement, I'm getting a squeek in the steering.

Its going to take a lot to convince me they came up with a solution to this problem. With the first unit part number 709400453 that lasted for just over 2300 miles and now with the second dps replacement and part number 709400870, this one started acting up a couple of weeks ago, with less than 400 miles on it.

It felt like I was in a rut making a slight right turn like the first one, on a flat smooth road but, didn't lockup like the original one or have the notchy feeling after moving the handlebars less than an inch as in the first replacement. Now I'm hearing the squeek more and wonder if the mouse needs replacing. I hope the Mickey is covered under the warranty.

If not I'll go down to Pets Mart and buy one for a buck, if that.
The squeek is likely from the suspension bushings. Make sure the front suspension was properly lubricated at the specified intervals. This essential item is often overlooked. If lubrication does not cure it, the bushings in the A-frames or shocks are probably worn too far, The components will need to be replaced. Lubrication should occur at the 600 mile service and then every 12,000 miles or two years. If the 600 mile lubrication is missed, problems can readily develop.

Dukester
09-07-2010, 06:45 AM
That's why I'm waiting to see what BRP brings out in 2012. I hope if they are true to be involved in this market they correct the issues and make it one of the most reliable rides out there. I love the white RT, was going to make a trade but I'll wait another year. I know it will get better. Think positive.

wyliec
09-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Judging by the C.C. on the last page of the recall correspondence, I'd bet that BRP isn't paying for the whole party.......:helpsmilie:

To me it doesn't matter who pays for it, as long as it's not me. And, if BRP wants me to think that they picked up the whole tab, that's fine with me.

docdoru
09-07-2010, 09:00 AM
The squeek is likely from the suspension bushings. Make sure the front suspension was properly lubricated at the specified intervals. This essential item is often overlooked. If lubrication does not cure it, the bushings in the A-frames or shocks are probably worn too far.
:agree: Standing on the Spyder with the engine off and handlebars straight, try rocking left and right.

j45p3r
09-07-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm really hopeful this will put this issue to rest. I've actually had a couple of instances with mine that made me question whether or not I had a DPS issue. Both times I was taking a right hander and when I wanted to straighten up the bike seemed to want to stay turned to the right. Nothing major it just wasn't a smooth transition like I'm used to. I never went to the dealer for it and it's been a while since it happened, but I didn't feel confident it wasn't just an issue with the road and not the bike.

Sarge707
09-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Very interesting that it states the DPS replacement will be Plug and Play for the dealers convenience.
The Update Software will already be installed in the DPS so its just a mechanical interaction and the Tech will not have to perform any software installatin.
This should make the process flow more quickly!
:D

millers1
09-07-2010, 06:31 PM
For ANY safety defect, you should be filing a complaint with the NHTSA http://www.safercar.gov/

If they get enough complaints, they'll investigate. I'd think vehicles catching on fire comes under the 'safety defect' catagory!

Firefly
09-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Will they also be fixing the issues with the Bikes on Fire?

They are so many units starting on fire.

Our did and we were lucky it started burning just when we stopped the unit.

Who else knows about Can Am fires.
Our sales rep said she never heard of this before.
She also said she does not read the web site .
Call your dealer and ask for the FIRE fix, make sure you do if before your warranty runs out.

Ric

I thought they had a fix.......

:roflblack:

(sorry -- couldn't resist)

SpyderWolf
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Will they also be fixing the issues with the Bikes on Fire?

They are so many units starting on fire.

Our did and we were lucky it started burning just when we stopped the unit.

Who else knows about Can Am fires.
Our sales rep said she never heard of this before.
She also said she does not read the web site .
Call your dealer and ask for the FIRE fix, make sure you do if before your warranty runs out.

Ric

I am only aware of 4 or 5 confirmed fires, and while I agree it is a major concern if it happens to you it does not constitute so many compared to the number of them on the road. I am truly sorry for your problem as well, and definitely would not want it to happen to me.

Many of us believe the vent tube extension was the fix, and that all of the Spyders that have caught fire so far did not have this applied to them. Perhaps there will be one out there that this is not the case for, but I certainly hope not.

Firefly, that was just wrong man. Very funny, but still wrong. :D

bjt
09-07-2010, 09:18 PM

Sure! The 2 people that have turbo's can yack up a storm about this one! :roflblack:

Add two to your count Ron. I guess that Debbie's and my Spyders stock engines ran as strong as Doc's turbo'd Spyder. :D

PCBeachBum
09-08-2010, 07:00 AM
The squeek is likely from the suspension bushings. Make sure the front suspension was properly lubricated at the specified intervals. This essential item is often overlooked. If lubrication does not cure it, the bushings in the A-frames or shocks are probably worn too far, The components will need to be replaced. Lubrication should occur at the 600 mile service and then every 12,000 miles or two years. If the 600 mile lubrication is missed, problems can readily develop.

Scotty, even the Spyder tech that used to work at the dealership said its coming from the steering. He checked the suspension and the front end. Than we found out where squeek was coming from, the 2" riser. He squirted some lubricant in and it stopped.

But thanks for the information and I had it serviced when it was in for the 1st DPS replacement. It had about 700 miles on it than. It was a demo before I bought it and had 260 miles on it.

It was early and they told me to bring it in for service at 860 miles and since they had it there for 9 days, I told them to service it.

BLACK WIDOW
09-08-2010, 07:50 AM

Very interesting stuff.

That's good stuff---And just as I was starting to look at the GoldWing trikes. GoldWings are in my blood, but I also like my Spyder.

Firefly
09-08-2010, 10:05 AM

Looks like your Spyder may be overheating for a totally different reason... :shocked::2thumbs::roflblack: