PDA

View Full Version : Can-Am Support

FoxLair
09-05-2010, 01:47 PM
My Spyder left me stranded on the side of the interstate with a blown engine April 2, 2010...Unbelievably it took Can-Am 158 days...yes! 158 days to repair my bike!!! I just got it back after having it at two dealerships in two different states trying to fix it. They finally sent a new motor right off the assembly line...ANYONE else have these support issues with Can-Am???:gaah:

BajaRon
09-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Where is that PIN! I can never find it when I need it!

http://members.cox.net/bajaron/AC-UP-DF-SW007-TMB.jpg

freebob
09-05-2010, 03:26 PM
My Spyder left me stranded on the side of the interstate with a blown engine April 2, 2010...Unbelievably it took Can-Am 158 days...yes! 158 days to repair my bike!!! I just got it back after having it at two dealerships in two different states trying to fix it. They finally sent a new motor right off the assembly line...ANYONE else have these support issues with Can-Am???:gaah:
Could you please give more info.?

Model:
Year:
Miles:
New or Used:

For now you should feel fortunate you got a new motor....freebob..:doorag:

docdoru
09-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Where is that PIN! I can never find it when I need it!

http://members.cox.net/bajaron/AC-UP-DF-SW007-TMB.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/Annanas.jpg?t=1283720132 :roflblack:

fastfraser
09-05-2010, 04:09 PM
What is the whole story ?:dontknow: Warranty issues, back order parts ? Two differant dealers ?

Oh by the way welcome hope you are happy that you are back on the road . I know Deb and Brian both had there :spyder2:s in the shop for 4-5 months with engine rebuilds as well as others down for extended periods !

SpyderWolf
09-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I would also like to hear more details about what all happened.

In the meantime I wish you the best and hope your Spyder runs flawlessly now.

Raptor
09-05-2010, 08:08 PM
It is pretty unusual to have one blow up right out of the crate! It does happen from time to time though. 158 days to fix it though... that's pretty insane. I'm with Wolfen on this one; I would like to get more details on this story.

On the bright side, you have a whole new power plant and things seem to be OK. I certainly hope it stays that way for you.

bjt
09-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I know Deb and Brian both had there :spyder2:s in the shop for 4-5 months with engine rebuilds as well as others down for extended periods !

Brian here confirming that Deb and I had our Spyders in the shop for an extended period (4 - 5 months) waiting on both BRP to get the replacement parts shipped and our dealer finding the time to do the work. Ours both went in on the same day for similar problems related to the output shaft. Deb's was an engine rebuild and by the time they got to mine (about 4 months later), they decided to forgo the rebuild and just give me a new engine.

Firefly
09-07-2010, 09:13 PM

Sounds more like a dealer problem instead of a BRP problem. BRP wasn't fixing your bike--- the dealer was--- at BRP's expense--- which is lower than what the service dept. could bill that time to a customer.

So who's the dealer gonna fix first?

NancysToy
09-08-2010, 07:42 AM
I can understand people wanting to get BRP involved with the fires, and their wish find the cause(s) and cure(s), but in reality, the key to getting the Spyders repaired or replaced lies with the insurance companies. In fact, if anyone has enough clout to get BRP involved, it would be the insurance companies or the NHTSA. These incidents need to be reported to both...ASAP, after an incident. I would not expect warranty repairs or replacement, as some seem to be relying on. I'm not sure why BRP Customer Support would be first in line...or in line at all, unless dragged.

There have been at least two types of problems which did or could have readily contributed to fires. Some are convinced that the short emissions canister vent on the original GS Spyders contributes to fires in some way. That is entirely feasible. If owners have not had the "second update" completed and the canister vent extended, I urge them to do so, and eliminate this possible cause.

Others have had fuel leakage from the fuel filter, either from loose hoses or a split filter. There is no evidence linking this directly to fires, but it is certainly a possibility. This is more difficult to head off, especially on a vehicle as fully enclosed as this one. I urge all owners to carefully inspect the fuel filter at regular intervals, at least every oil change. Look for leakage when running, and for loose clamps. The gap to the filter is not really important, but the hoses should not be able to be slid or twisted on the filter. If so, either the clamps, or the clamps and hoses, should be replaced. While you are at it, make sure the fuel hose is not rubbing against the engine, and is protected where it passes the head, by a corrugated tube. Early Spyders had some interference and wear problems in the area of the front head.

Again, my sincere sympathy to those who have suffered through these incidents. Please report them to the NHTSA and then let your insurance companies take over. The idea is to get you back on the road as soon, and as safely, as possible. All the customer support in the world can't help much there. It takes good insurance and a good dealer.

COOLMACHINE
09-08-2010, 10:31 AM
158 days? Unacceptable. Sorry to hear your woes. Hope things will be better from here on out.
I cringe thinking of my riding going out again for an extended period of time. Mine was out of service, close to 4 months this spring.