PDA

View Full Version : Coaxing Spyders from Their Webs and Burrows in Maryland...

SilverSurfer
09-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Just for philosophic muse, it is well known that spyders are shy but stealthy and intuitive animals. Most funnelweb and orb weavers, for example, are retiring and rarely stray from their webs, unlike their free-roaming relatives, the wolf spyders (including tarantulas), which free-range over distance and then return to their burrows. Trap door spyders sort of hang around in groups, building little trap door villages, through which ants and other 'snacks' are in trouble if they get caught in 'da hood.'

So here we "arachniphiles" are at the precipice of a long Labor Day weekend ... three or four days for most of us ... and with Earl's passing, some of the nicest weather all summer. Of sixteen members, it's difficult to concieve that only four of us are ryding anyhere, and it's the same spyders each ryde. There must be other things going on, not including a remote control; but to be clear, anyone can propose a ryde. Anyone can just say, "Hey ... the wife and I are going out for a couple of hours on (name the day)," and invite others out to meet them. If you're ryding with other clubs, tell us about it. Maybe it would be fun to mingle. I'm trying to get Triikes to join us from my Blue Knights affiliation. If you think it'd be neat to just meet at a central point for a Hamburger (like a diner or drive-in), suggest it. A ryde doesn't have to be a well-planned, ornate web. It can be a very impromptu thing. What are YOU doing? Be social.

So think about what kind o' spyder you are ... funnelweb, wolf or trap door ... Suggest things that are fun for you, and like minded ryders will participate. Some might join just for a new experience. I realize that my events and routes might not please everyone, while I'd welcome anyone to modify the plan. Perhaps some of us own Spyders for love of the trophy ... We like to fix them up and preen them, but to take it out of the garage and get some dust on it? OMG!! Well, there's room in Spyder heaven for those types too. I want to apply a few ESI mods to my front fenders. Is there a garage junkie in our spyders den to whom I could ryde ... bits and pieces in my top case... for some help?

So those are just my thoughts. Now multiply that by 16. We're a group of joiners, not spectators. Let's discuss 16 ideas on ways to get together and then make them happen. No 'recluses' please, brown or otherwise.

.... gotta go ... just spotted a ladybug. :spyder:

Hollywood
09-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Paul:

Get read on this one. Well I'll be off this weekend to the 2nd Annual SE Ohio Fun Ride on 5 Sept 2010. Check it out on BUSA under rallies. I hope to see other Spyders from OH since can not seem to get any MD Spyders to come out, maybe will have to wait till Holloween

Hollywood