PDA

View Full Version : Headlight modulator

Questions
09-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I just got the first Kisan Technologies Headlight modulator made specifically for the Spyder... total plug-n-play. Here is my website showing the installation.

http://www.lonlawrence.com/Modulating_Headlight/Kisan_technologies.html

1VENOM
09-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Nice pics and write-up. I'm not sure what the headlight modulator is for? Pls explain.

Questions
09-02-2010, 01:04 AM
Nice pics and write-up. I'm not sure what the headlight modulator is for? Pls explain.

Well, it's a long explanation, so grab a cup of coffee and hang on.

When you pull up to a stop sign in your car, and swing your head from right to left (or vice-versa) to check for traffic, if you move your head at the same speed that traffic is moving at, your brain doesn't register any "movement" and thus, does not see "danger." So you pull out and a motorcycle T-bones your car. Now, let's change the scenario. Pull up to a stop sign and a motorcycle is coming from your left. You swing your head right and left to check for traffic (at the same speed the motorcycle is moving at) and this motorcycle has a modulating headlight. The "flashing" headlight (legal in all 50 states) registers "movement" in your brain and you actually SEE the motorcycle. The brain registers "danger." It's a big safety feature. The headlight(s) don't really "flash," as that would be illegal. They "modulate." That means the element in the lights never completely cool off. So the effect is really "bright-dim-bright-dim" etc. The timing is all regulated by federal law.

When I took a motorcycle safety foundation class in 2001 the first thing the instructor said was, "I will tell you two things that will save your life more than anything else you can do. 1. buy the new bright yellow Honda Goldwing and 2. put modulating headlights on it. I had done both ! LOL

Some people think the modulating headlights are annoying and they do make some drivers mad at you, but if they get mad at you, then you know they saw you!!! However, annoying or not, they save lives (unlike loud pipes, which is a wive's tale). However, the law is on your side and no matter how mad people get at you, you have the right to have modulating headlights. By the way, they are only legal during daylight hours, and the sensor turns them off at sunset and they go back to regular headlights. I've been running them on all 7 bikes since 2001.

dave01
09-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Not sure I can run one of these with my HID lights or not.Any ideas?

pjp623
09-02-2010, 07:05 AM
:2thumbs: Great job on the pictures, instructions, and explaination of why these are so important.
Where did you get the modulator?

Magic Man
09-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Not sure I can run one of these with my HID lights or not.Any ideas?

Most HID ballasts will not work with these units.

MM

NancysToy
09-02-2010, 07:33 AM
.....When I took a motorcycle safety foundation class in 2001 the first thing the instructor said was, "I will tell you two things that will save your life more than anything else you can do. 1. buy the new bright yellow Honda Goldwing and 2. put modulating headlights on it. I had done both ! LOL.....
I'll add one more sure thing, for visibility. Wear hi-vis clothing...especially the helmet. This has been proven to reduce accidents. The rider moves his/her limbs and head in a different direction than the motorcycle, while riding, so a moving hi-vis jacket or helmet gets a lot of attention. "Loud pipes don't save lives...loud clothes do!"

I was hoping the 2011 lineup would include a Millenium Yellow RT. That, plus modulating headlights, plus hi-vis clothes, would give you a fighting chance.

Have you noticed any interference with the CanBus due to the modulation, or any audio noise?

dave01
09-02-2010, 07:47 AM
I'll add one more sure thing, for visibility. Wear hi-vis clothing...especially the helmet. "Loud pipes don't save lives...loud clothes do!"

Scotty, Do you mean loud clothing like this
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=994

Firefly
09-02-2010, 08:29 AM

Now THAT is loud! :roflblack:

No wonder Someguy wears tiedye shirts... lol

----------------------------

I've never been a fan of the modulating lights-- just a personal preference. I'd rather stick with my HID's and make sure I can light up a football field in front of me at night.

As far as loud pipes----- might not save you against cagers----but I've had deer stop in their tracks from 1/4 mile away because they heard me coming. :thumbup:

Then again the same 'makes a cager angry' argument could be used pertaining to loud pipes... so you know they saw ya.

FANG
09-02-2010, 08:44 AM
That - screaming at you :roflblack:

Magic Man
09-02-2010, 08:54 AM
That - screaming at you :roflblack:

Hey I don't get hit!

That, and they don't want to dent their car hitting me. :shocked:

Why I'd take out most compacts without even a scratch. :roflblack:

MM

NancysToy
09-02-2010, 09:20 AM
I think the legs alone will wake up most drivers! Now you know the real reason I never wear shorts when I ride. It isn't the heat, it's the humility! :roflblack:

JJW SpyderRider
09-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Came across a motor cycle yesterday that was using the modulator, it does draw your attention.

FANG
09-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Hey I don't get hit!

That, and they don't want to dent their car hitting me. :shocked:

Why I'd take out most compacts without even a scratch. :roflblack:

MM

Hey MM do you have a shirt like that for sale on your site!!! And does it come with LED's. :D

Magic Man
09-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey MM do you have a shirt like that for sale on your site!!! And does it come with LED's. :D

Sorry no we don't.

They come from a company called Hot Shoppe and are big $$$. But they are very light weight and seem to last a long time without showing much wear at all.

They are 100% custom printed as the shirt starts out totally white and then every bit of it's color is a custom print based on your design, hence the big $$$ cost.

MM

Questions
09-02-2010, 11:09 AM
:2thumbs: Great job on the pictures, instructions, and explaination of why these are so important.
Where did you get the modulator?

I put on the website and in my original post that I got the modulator from Kisan Technologies, for those of you that missed it. 719-226-0300 or sales@kisantech.com. they have a website too, you could google it. It won't be on their website yet because I have the first prototype. They are legal with HID lights, also, but one guy mentioned the ballast may not be compatible with it, I'd call Andy at the phone number above and ask him before ordering.

Oh, about the deer stopping to watch you with loud pipes (one guy mentioned), that's not proof the loud pipes did anything for you. Remember the deer whistles you mount on your bumper? Those have been proven many times to be a farce. But in their defense, one police officer drove his squad car (with deer whistles on it) across a field through a herd of deer and never hit any. He swore it was due to the deer whistles. Now THAT'S the kind of scientific proof idiots put credence in. BTW, deer will stop to watch anything. Even without loud pipes I've had them stop along the road and watch me. Should I infer that quiet pipes generate a high pitched noise that only deer can hear? LOL (actually deer have the same hearing range that we do).

Questions
09-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Now THAT is loud! :roflblack:

No wonder Someguy wears tiedye shirts... lol

----------------------------

I've never been a fan of the modulating lights-- just a personal preference. I'd rather stick with my HID's and make sure I can light up a football field in front of me at night.

As far as loud pipes----- might not save you against cagers----but I've had deer stop in their tracks from 1/4 mile away because they heard me coming. :thumbup:

Then again the same 'makes a cager angry' argument could be used pertaining to loud pipes... so you know they saw ya.

Cagers get angry with loud pipes after the fact. You know as well as I do that you usually don't see the loud pipe driver until he's close enough to hurt your eardrums and piss you off and also already at the intersection you could have hit him at. You don't hear them far enough away in your car for them to be a detriment to a collision. Modulating lights are an entirely different story. Like in my explanation of why the brain doesn't register "danger", a brighter light (HID) won't help you. Visible "motion" (ie modulating lights) is what you want the cager to see, and ONLY modulating headlights can save you in that case. It's that head-swing-thing... re-read why people don't see you to understand it.

Firefly
09-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Daytime running lights also make you more noticeable --- until everyone starts doing it.

I've stopped my bike on the road where there were deer off in a field and I just let it idle--- when I rev it they instantly turn and look. Physics dictates the louder it is the further away they will hear it.

In real world car/deer situation does it help? Dunno--- but sure can't hurt.

I'm sure the modulators make you more noticeable-- I just don't care for the look of them-- and choosing between that feature and having bright HIDs to light up the wooded roads I ride home on--- the HIDs will win out every time in my book. Deer are my main concern as the Spyder is very noticeable in traffic--- as compared to 2 wheels.

To each his own--- just not for me.

... fyi----- the 'guy' telling you it won't work with most ballasts----- actually makes the things------

Questions
09-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Daytime running lights also make you more noticeable --- until everyone starts doing it.

I've stopped my bike on the road where there were deer off in a field and I just let it idle--- when I rev it they instantly turn and look. Physics dictates the louder it is the further away they will hear it.

I'm sure the modulators make you more noticeable-- I just don't care for the look of them-- and choosing between that feature and having bright HIDs to light up the wooded roads I ride home on--- the HIDs will win out every time in my book. Deer are my main concern as the Spyder is very noticeable in traffic--- as compared to 2 wheels.

... fyi----- the 'guy' telling you it won't work with most ballasts----- actually makes the things------

When GM started putting DRLs (daytime running lamps) on cars, everybody thought that was a good idea (until everyone did it, then people wouldn't see them anymore). That proved to be a farce. You still notice cars with DRLs on them in low-light situations (dark car on a dark highway at dusk... even a dark car on a dark highway in the daylight). When you pull out pass, you can see the cars coming with the DRLs on... the rest you can't see. So, in reply to "they are a good idea until everyone starts running them" is absurd. In fact, when everyone starts running them, they'll still be more noticeable than DRLs because of the perceived "motion" that the "other guy" sees. You'll always see modulating high-beam headlights. (and high beam is the only light you should modulate for obvious reasons). As far as HID vs modulating headlights, if you had to make a choice, you may feel safer riding after dark in a deer-infested area because you can see better at night. It's a personal choice. I feel the standard lights light up the road sufficiently for night driving and the rest of the time, modulating lights protect me from the other guy. After all, statistics show us that t-boning a car at an intersection is the main cause of motorcycle crashes... not deer/bike accidents.

Campverdefela
09-02-2010, 11:58 AM

:agree:Especially the led dayrunners as the slightly glaring blue-white light of the led's gets your attention.

ElkSpyder
09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Ok, so if my HID lights can't be modulated, can we do it to the none HID "fog lights"??

Questions
09-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Ok, so if my HID lights can't be modulated, can we do it to the none HID "fog lights"??

Technically, by Federal Law, no..... but I doubt you'll ever get stopped and have to defend the use of your driving lights. You may get stopped by uninformed officers (this applies to any and all states) that will question your modulating headlights. Always carry a copy of the law with you... which doesn't always work if the officer is a jerk and won't listen. I had that happen in NM (where I live) in 2001 when they were fairly new (modulating headlights). A state patrol jerk refused to read the law I had with me and wanted to make a federal case out of it. I got AMA involved and with a few letters to the state attorney general and the head of the state police, they issued an official declaration stating they didn't have time to enforce that law and all officers were supposed to leave motorcycles alone that had mod headlights... they wouldn't officially back down, even though the federal law specifically forbids any state from enacting a law that would negate the federal law. I haven't been bothered since. ON a couple trips many years ago I got stopped a couple times, but the officers listened to reason and sent me on my way. In my home town I was stopped by a city cop and after listening to reason, agreed he can't do anything about them, but asked me politely if I'd turn them off in town. Can you believe that? I told him, "NO, I won't." He bade me a good-day.

Questions
09-02-2010, 01:31 PM
That would present an interesting presence. The HID lights on with the "fog lights" being modulated below them. It would definitely look to be different from the surroundings and even other cars or bikes equipped with modulators. I guess the legal question would be, can auxiliary lights be modulated while running running the headlights steady?

:chat: What say everybody? :chat:

I just answered the question in the last post... no it isn't legal.

dave01
09-02-2010, 01:39 PM
In the United States, FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) alows motorcycle headlamp This Federal law supersedes all state laws and makes motorcycle headlight modulators legal in all 50 states. FMVSS 108

(Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems all 50
states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section. Title 49 USC 30103 (b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state
from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108. Click here to see the regulation.

Code of Federal Regulation - Title 49, Volume 5, Parts 400 to 999 - Revised as of October 1, 2000
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access [CITE: 49CFR571.108] [Page 236-307]
TITLE 49: TRANSPORTATION - CHAPTER V, NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF
TRANSPORTATION
PART 571, FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS - Subpart B--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards - Sec.
571.108 Standard No. 108;

Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment - S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.

S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a
lesser intensity, provided that:
(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 <plus-minus> 40 cycles per minute.
(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp
modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270
lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward
pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as
the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all
test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the
standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in
either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.
S7.9.4.2(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum
wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g)
when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so
that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.
(b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the
road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2007 Florida Statutes

Title XXIII MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316 STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL

316.405 Motorcycle headlights to be turned on.--

(1) Any person who operates a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle on the public streets or highways
shall, while so engaged, have the headlight or headlights of such motorcycle or motor-driven cycle
turned on. Failure to comply with this section during the hours from sunrise to sunset, unless
compliance is otherwise required by law, shall not be admissible as evidence of negligence in a civil
action. During the hours of operation between sunrise and sunset, the headlights may modulate either
the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lower intensity, in accordance with
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 571.108.

(2) Failure to comply with the provisions of this section shall not be deemed negligence per se in any
civil action, but the violation of this section may be considered on the issue of negligence if the violation
of this section is a proximate cause of a crash.
(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as
provided in chapter 318.

Firefly
09-02-2010, 01:58 PM
When GM started putting DRLs (daytime running lamps) on cars, everybody thought that was a good idea (until everyone did it, then people wouldn't see them anymore). That proved to be a farce. You still notice cars with DRLs on them in low-light situations (dark car on a dark highway at dusk... even a dark car on a dark highway in the daylight). When you pull out pass, you can see the cars coming with the DRLs on... the rest you can't see. So, in reply to "they are a good idea until everyone starts running them" is absurd. In fact, when everyone starts running them, they'll still be more noticeable than DRLs because of the perceived "motion" that the "other guy" sees. You'll always see modulating high-beam headlights. (and high beam is the only light you should modulate for obvious reasons). As far as HID vs modulating headlights, if you had to make a choice, you may feel safer riding after dark in a deer-infested area because you can see better at night. It's a personal choice. I feel the standard lights light up the road sufficiently for night driving and the rest of the time, modulating lights protect me from the other guy. After all, statistics show us that t-boning a car at an intersection is the main cause of motorcycle crashes... not deer/bike accidents.

I think you're misunderstanding what I was saying pertaining to DLR's-- my point was that if EVERYONE ran them--- they no longer have a unique impact and therefore you won't stick out any more than the next guy. I wasn't comparing them to modulating ones-- although if everyone ran those I the same would apply. You can only stand out more than the other guy if you're running something different. I don't see many modulating lights out there-- so you probably do stick out much more than usual.

Why is the high beam the only one you modulate?

You might think the stock Spyder lights up pretty well--- until you ryde one with HID's--- (I now have 4). The difference is nothing short of amazing.

I think next I'll mount a disco-ball and laser lights on my Spyder....... :roflblack:

Bozzzz
09-02-2010, 02:35 PM
I just got the first Kisan Technologies Headlight modulator made specifically for the Spyder... total plug-n-play. Here is my website showing the installation.

http://www.lonlawrence.com/Modulating_Headlight/Kisan_technologies.html

So you got a headlight modulator. What does it actually do????

Questions
09-02-2010, 02:41 PM
I think you're misunderstanding what I was saying pertaining to DLR's-- my point was that if EVERYONE ran them--- they no longer have a unique impact and therefore you won't stick out any more than the next guy. I wasn't comparing them to modulating ones-- although if everyone ran those I the same would apply. You can only stand out more than the other guy if you're running something different. I don't see many modulating lights out there-- so you probably do stick out much more than usual.

Why is the high beam the only one you modulate?

You might think the stock Spyder lights up pretty well--- until you ryde one with HID's--- (I now have 4). The difference is nothing short of amazing.

I think next I'll mount a disco-ball and laser lights on my Spyder....... :roflblack:

Actually, I think you misunderstood. The fact that I can't see a dark car on a dark highway at dusk (or even other times of the day compared to light colored cars) shows you the problem. It's the dark car blending into the road. Lighting it with DRLs, even if 100 cars in row have DRLs, lets me see EVERY one of them. So, your wrong... every vehicle having them does not diminish the impact as people said it might in the beginning.

Secondly, you've missed the point of modulating headlights entirely. It's not a "see my/see my lights" thing like it is with DRL. The modulation actually caused the brain to see "motion" (and register as danger) when the cager is swinging his head from left to right at an intersection at the same speed you are traveling. That scenario makes the moving object (you.. even if you have headlights on so that you can be "seen") appear to be standing still as is the stop sign, the building, the parked cars, etc all around you. The "flashing" grabs the brains attention and says "hey, bro, there's something moving over there... it might be dangerous... better check it out." It's the survival instinct that you cannot overcome. A flashing light out of the corner of your eye will ALWAYS get your attention... you can't fight it. And the light will always flash and never appear to stand still no matter how you swing your head (the cager, that is)... so with modulating headlights, you have fought the best fight you can against intersection crashes on a motorcycle. It's as simple as that.

Finally, you ask why I only modulate the high beams. If you've ridden cycles very long, and survived, you know that a lot (most?) of motorcycles headlights on low beam in the daytime can't be seen any more clearly than a piece of shiny chrome. At dusk it looks like a red hair in a bottle. People that want to be safe always ride with the headlights on high beam, and that is also the only way Kisan Technologies recommend you hook up your modulator... to the high beam only... for maximum affect.

Now if I haven't made my case clear... I give up. This forum now has all the answers. 1. where to get your modulators 2. why to use them

Anything other than that is just for the sake of starting an argument over a faulty opinion! (smile)

Thanks to the last guy for posting the entire federal law. Print it out and carry it with you. It could save you a lot of hassle with the man (that would be ME)

Questions
09-02-2010, 02:43 PM
So you got a headlight modulator. What does it actually do????

Bozzzzz, READ THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. Don't just jump in the middle and try to make us start explaining it all over again. A little courtesy, please.

Firefly
09-02-2010, 04:01 PM
No worries lonlawrence.... I think we both have misunderstood what the other is saying.... I'll try to be more clear in my opinions:

1. DLR lights increase your visibility.

2. If EVERYONE ran DLRs, your visibility, while better just by the nature of having lights ON, will NOT be any better than the next guy--- all things being equal....because if everyone has them on then there is nothing to contrast you from the other guy. If everyone wears a red shirt---- your red shirt won't stick out as much, while certainly the entire group wearing red shirts will stand out more than an entire group wearing white shirts. Make sense? So overall more visible--- but COMPARATIVE to others if DLR were 100% --- no.

3. Modulation lights increase your visibility.

4. I would think the 'modulation' alert effect is at least partially due to our brains being programmed that a flashing light means 'the five-O' is near.

I'm sure these may be a great option for those who want it.... but my HID's will only be pried from my cut, cramped and sore hands (if you've ever changed the Spyder headlight bulbs you'll understand)....:roflblack:

1VENOM
09-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Bozzzzz, READ THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. Don't just jump in the middle and try to make us start explaining it all over again. A little courtesy, please.

Thank you lonlawrence for answering my question concerning the modulator. I'm sorry that you had to endure so much crap in the process.

SpyderWolf
09-05-2010, 04:32 PM
According to the law that Dave01 posted on here, they must modulate at a rate of 40 times per minute. I am going to test the headlight rings on my Spyder, and see if there is a mode that matches this rate. If so, then chances are we could get away with doing this. The only other thing I noticed is modulation is illegal at night, so you would have to remember to set them back to steady on once the sun goes down.

I will let you know what I find out with my test.

Questions
09-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Here's another option that popped up in my twisted brain. For those of us that have or will have in my case HID headlights. Might the modulator be connected to a set of the LED headlight rings. I'm sure it could and it would fall into that grey area of the law IMHO. This might work better than modulating the "fog lights" because it is higher and therefore easier seen.

Another question is there a way for the modulating to only occur while moving? I realize it would have to tap into the speedo circuit for that. Maybe this model doesn't do that but maybe another one does. Oh the possibilities...

:popcorn:

I've been using modulators since 2001 and I've never heard of one that only works while moving. I'm not real sure there's a good reason for that? Please explain. As for the LED headlight rings, I've never seen them in the daylight and I wonder if you could even see them flash when your headlights are on? The fog lights is probably a better idea unless the LEDs are such gawd-awful intensity that they would over-ride the high beams. Oh, and yes, you don't want to have to remember to turn them off. If you can't figure out how to put a sensor on them like other factory modulators, you'd probably better not be fooling with them. You'll forget to turn them off and get a ticket you can't possibly win in court. Also keep the letter of the law in mind. You can't just turn them on and off (that would be called "flashing" lights, which is illegal). They must modulate bright-dim-bright-dim, etc. There are specs for how long they should be "on" and how long "off", not just the rate per minute.

Questions
09-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Thank you lonlawrence for answering my question concerning the modulator. I'm sorry that you had to endure so much crap in the process.
1venom... thanks for your reply. Yes, forums tend to be like that where there's always a number of people stalking any forum with little or no experience, and know little or nothing about what they are talking about, that wants to argue about everything instead of trying to learn something new. It gets aggravating when you are trying to help others.

Firefly
09-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I've been using modulators since 2001 and I've never heard of one that only works while moving. I'm not real sure there's a good reason for that? Please explain. As for the LED headlight rings, I've never seen them in the daylight and I wonder if you could even see them flash when your headlights are on? The fog lights is probably a better idea unless the LEDs are such gawd-awful intensity that they would over-ride the high beams. Oh, and yes, you don't want to have to remember to turn them off. If you can't figure out how to put a sensor on them like other factory modulators, you'd probably better not be fooling with them. You'll forget to turn them off and get a ticket you can't possibly win in court. Also keep the letter of the law in mind. You can't just turn them on and off (that would be called "flashing" lights, which is illegal). They must modulate bright-dim-bright-dim, etc. There are specs for how long they should be "on" and how long "off", not just the rate per minute.

I know you said your setup only works when on 'Brights' setting---- is there a switch to turn them off as well if you want to run your brights without them flashing?

SpyderWolf
09-05-2010, 05:13 PM
The headlight rings are a no go on the timing of the cycle I am afraid. They are plenty bright to see flashing with the headlights on; however, they dim in and out once every 4 seconds and that is way to slow to meet the legal requirements.

Of course, I also have the flashing capability but that would definitely get me a ticket. Although it might be fun to see everyone get out of my way once in a while as well. :dontknow: :roflblack:

Questions
09-05-2010, 05:17 PM
I know you said your setup only works when on 'Brights' setting---- is there a switch to turn them off as well if you want to run your brights without them flashing?

No...no manual switches. As I said, you'd want a light sensor doing that chore for you, as all commercial modulators do (otherwise you'll forget to turn them off). Mine will modulate either on hi or low beam, but low beam only modulates because of the plug where we picked-up the light wires is after the relay (you don't want the relay cycling with the modulator). Most motorcycles modulators (for other brands of bikes) only modulate one or the other, but not both. But because of the ease of installation, they did not try to isolate the high beams and when you flip your lowbeam switch, they modulate also (during daylight hours... nothing modulates after sunlight gets too dim to keep the sensor on). It takes about 5 minutes to install this model. Open the trunk, pull off the fuse box cover, unplug the plug, plug the unit in and then the work starts. Now you have to mount the sensor. It can be as easy as plugging it in and running the wire up to your mirror and using a plastic wire tie to hold it there (looks terrible, though) or follow my instructions to mount it in your dash. That will take you maybe another 15 minutes or a little more.

Firefly
09-05-2010, 05:24 PM
No...no manual switches. As I said, you'd want a light sensor doing that chore for you, as all commercial modulators do (otherwise you'll forget to turn them off). Mine will modulate either on hi or low beam, but low beam only modulates because of the plug where we picked-up the light wires is after the relay (you don't want the relay cycling with the modulator). Most motorcycles modulators (for other brands of bikes) only modulate one or the other, but not both. But because of the ease of installation, they did not try to isolate the high beams and when you flip your lowbeam switch, they modulate also (during daylight hours... nothing modulates after sunlight gets too dim to keep the sensor on). It takes about 5 minutes to install this model. Open the trunk, pull off the fuse box cover, unplug the plug, plug the unit in and then the work starts. Now you have to mount the sensor. It can be as easy as plugging it in and running the wire up to your mirror and using a plastic wire tie to hold it there (looks terrible, though) or follow my instructions to mount it in your dash. That will take you maybe another 15 minutes or a little more.

They had to do it that way because the Spyder is very unique in how it does 'High' vs. 'Low' beams. It's the same bulb for both---- the units just have a shutter system inside that works like an eyelid... that is the 'clicking' you hear when going from low to high. They could have tied it in so that when the shutters are 'up' , the modulation is 'on'... but that woulda been more work for sure....

SpyderWolf
09-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Duh, Homer moment! :opps: I went back and watched the video at tricLED and what do you know, they do sort of pulsate. I thought that was just a timer function. I didn't realize that was built in. I know the BMW "angel eye rings" are on steady. I wonder if these rings could be built the same way. Looks like a reason for an email inquiry. :dontknow:
Thanks. :thumbup:

I actually have them connected to a 4 zone control box that is operated with a remote. The headlights are on zone 1. Button A turns them on steady at maximum brightness, if you press A again they will dim up to 8 levels then cycle back to maximum brightness. Buttom B turns on flash mode which starts at 2 pulses, then increases the number with each push of the button until it starts over. Button C turns on the breathing mode, where they dim then brighten back up every 4 seconds, hitting the button again only restarts the cycle. Button D turns that set of lights off. :thumbup:

SpyderWolf
09-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Two items:
1. I sent an email off to tricLED and got a reply back that the rings can be operated in a "solid state" mode. So the idea of using rings as a modulated source may not be dead yet. I'm going to fire an email off to Kisan next to get some input from them.

:chat:

2. In the Sept issue of Iron Butt magazine there was a rider review of the Photon Blaster which is a self modulated LED assembly. The review was positive and the the information at their site http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/ looks pretty good too. So this also may be another possibility for those running an HID set up or not wanting a modulated headlight. These things are really bright and can be mounted numerous ways. This looks to be a simpler way to get the same results. I prefer KISS if possible. Not an endorsement just passing along the information.

:popcorn:

It will be interesting to hear what you find out from Kisan.

It is also intriguing that the Photon Blasters appear to flicker when observed at an angle, but not when viewed head on. I wonder if that would pose any issues of legality? :dontknow:

RTGENE
09-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Just a reminder in case you have forgotten or its been long a long time.

Male fireflies light up to signal their desire for mates - and willing females attract the males with flashes of their own.

One other thing I leave for the REDROOF INN in 13 days----we can talk more about modulating then,:ohyea::roflblack::ohyea::roflblack::ohyea:

Questions
09-06-2010, 10:11 PM
It will be interesting to hear what you find out from Kisan.

It is also intriguing that the Photon Blasters appear to flicker when observed at an angle, but not when viewed head on. I wonder if that would pose any issues of legality? :dontknow:

Legality, Yes, we've already covered that. ONly low beams or high beams can modulate by federal law. Start modulating other lights and get stopped, you've got no defense. On top of that, the only "flashing" lights that are legal on a motor vehicle are the turn signals. All other lights have to "ON" steady, white or amber in front and amber or red in rear. No other colors allowed by law, although you could argue that HID and other headlamps lean more toward "blue". Will you get away with other colors? I'd say, "yes" depending on where you live. Put a red or blue light showing from the front and in Wisconsin you'll get a ticket. In NM nobody says anything, even though it's against the law here as well. Probably the same with modulating lights. Get an uninformed officer in any state and you'll get stopped. Modulate any light but the high beam or low beam and in some places you'll get away with it the rest of your life. 10 years ago they caused a lot of trouble with law enforcement while traveling across the U.S. Lots of places had never seen them before. You'd be hard-pressed to find a town that wasn't aware of them now, and even those officers don't know the law and probably will let you modulate any light you want. As long as you know the law and choose to break it, then you are taking full responsibility. By the way, I know what Kisan is going to say. It's not legal and they won't help you with it.

SpyderWolf
09-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Legality, Yes, we've already covered that. ONly low beams or high beams can modulate by federal law. Start modulating other lights and get stopped, you've got no defense. On top of that, the only "flashing" lights that are legal on a motor vehicle are the turn signals. All other lights have to "ON" steady, white or amber in front and amber or red in rear. No other colors allowed by law, although you could argue that HID and other headlamps lean more toward "blue". Will you get away with other colors? I'd say, "yes" depending on where you live. Put a red or blue light showing from the front and in Wisconsin you'll get a ticket. In NM nobody says anything, even though it's against the law here as well. Probably the same with modulating lights. Get an uninformed officer in any state and you'll get stopped. Modulate any light but the high beam or low beam and in some places you'll get away with it the rest of your life. 10 years ago they caused a lot of trouble with law enforcement while traveling across the U.S. Lots of places had never seen them before. You'd be hard-pressed to find a town that wasn't aware of them now, and even those officers don't know the law and probably will let you modulate any light you want. As long as you know the law and choose to break it, then you are taking full responsibility. By the way, I know what Kisan is going to say. It's not legal and they won't help you with it.

I think I may just be visible enough without needing any modulation, and I have the turn signal aspect fully covered as well. No one will ever be able to say they didn't know I was attempting to turn, unless I do not use my signal.

Here is why I make the visibility claim: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22561 :D

Of course, I also know what the laws are for my area and will never ryde with the extra lights in the flashing or breathing mode, just steady on if at all.

bill pitman
09-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Received the pathBlazer headlight modulator yesterday and also did the install.
Installation took maybe 10-15 minutes total. Simple "plug and play". For the sensor I just located it in one of the air "slots" located at each side of the console, ran wire down the the modulator,plugged it in and done.
This particular model (P115W-D6) modulates both the low and high beams. This is because of the simple "plug n play" and tie in with the existing connector and BRP's method of low/high activation.
I may add a toggle switch,at some point, inline with the daylight sensor, for more control.

Bill Pitman