PDA

View Full Version : Evaporation Canister

Mowerman
09-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Took the spyder in for gas leaking out of the evaporation canister hose.
Dealer replaced canister. Said that would take care of the problem. Two days later gas was dripping out again.
Took it back in to the dealer. Mechanic said that that’s how it's suppose to work. Also said the problem was I was over filling the gas tank.

Had not refueled in the time between them fixing it and the gas dripping out again.

What should I do now. I don’t think there should ever be any gas dripping out of the canister. I also ask if they replaced the solenoid and was told that there was no reason to replace it.

Have seen some posted on the spyder catching on fire was wondering if this could be one of the reasons?

Mowerman.

frank3
09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Have the same problem, especially after riding long distance on warm day. First time it happen, I pulled the tupperwear off the sides and checked around. Found gas tank extremely hot, enough that you couldn't hold your hand on it. I reason that the gas tank is soo hot it causes gas fumes to spill over to canister and from there vapors come out hose and condensate along inside of hose and this is where drip comes from. I've stopped parking mine in the garage after a long ride until it cools off. I was constantly bothered by gas fumes in garage and that's a REAL fire hazard for the bike and the house. I'm logging a complaint with my dealer about it because I want it on record in case there is a fire down the road sometime. I DO NOT ever overfill my gas tank so I know that's not the cause. Everytime it's happened, it was after a long ride and prior to filling the tank so in most cases, the tank was nearly empty if not , just half full. Still planning to wrap my exhaust pipes this winter and because the pipes are so close to the gas tank, this should help. wish BRP would solve the problem so I wouldn't have to worry about it.:gaah:

NancysToy
09-01-2010, 10:08 AM
It would be possible to get a little bit of condensation of fumes, and have some liquid gasoline in the evap canister, but it is not common or easy to do. Any appreciable amout of gas in the canister is usually a result of overfilling the gas tank, or filling too fast. Either situation can force raw fuel through the gas tank vent, and it ends up in the canister. The rollover valve should prevent large amounts of fuel from carrying over, but sometimes it does not. Your second incident was probably fuel that was leftover from the first incident, if they did not replace the canister. The canister is pretty much useless from an emissions standpoint, if it has been filled with fuel. The activated carbon has been saturated and ruined.

frank3
09-01-2010, 10:15 AM
It would be possible to get a little bit of condensation of fumes, and have some liquid gasoline in the evap canister, but it is not common or easy to do. Any appreciable amout of gas in the canister is usually a result of overfilling the gas tank, or filling too fast. Either situation can force raw fuel through the gas tank vent, and it ends up in the canister. The rollover valve should prevent large amounts of fuel from carrying over, but sometimes it does not. Your second incident was probably fuel that was leftover from the first incident, if they did not replace the canister. The canister is pretty much useless from an emissions standpoint, if it has been filled with fuel. The activated carbon has been saturated and ruined.
Scotty,
Sounds like I need to have my dealer replace MY canister. Is that your same thought?

NancysToy
09-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Scotty,
Sounds like I need to have my dealer replace MY canister. Is that your same thought?
Depends on how strongly you feel about emissions. The liquid gas will eventually evaporate.

frank3
09-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Guess I'll wait for the evaporation. I'm an environmental engineer, not an environmentalist but do care about the environment. thanks for the feed back Scotty.