PDA

View Full Version : WHY MY SPYDER WOULD NOT START

BillGargan
08-29-2010, 11:17 PM
I ran out of fuel today in Maine near Newry. Long and pleasant story about local farm store that gave me a number for a local AAA.

When I ran out I was doing about 55, just reaching the crest of a hill and had my Throttlemeister engaged and hand off the throttle. I cruise over the hilltop and slide down the hill. Total travel after engine stop was nearly a mile -- stopping across from the aforementioned farm stand. Also, I was 2.1 miles from my target rural gas station.

The gent (older guy named Buster) shows up and he puts a gallon or so in the Spyder. I climb aboard and do all the right things and the starter button gets zero response.

I try several things -- and NOTHING . . .

I call my dealer -- but, no answer as they close early on Sunday because they are smart.

Eventually I put my hand on the throttle that I had not touched since the Spyder died and rolled a mile or so. It was clearly engaged, so I killed the Throttlemeister and the throttle returned to normal idle position.

Next push of the starter button was -- SURPRISE -- successful. Oh Joy!

Lesson, the Spyder will not start with the throttle engaged beyond a certain point. I presume to prevent over revving when starting.

Boy, did I feel dumb -- as Buster was kind enough to wait because he saw that the Spyder was not starting.

Firefly
08-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Good to know!

Um--- a dealer open on a Sunday?

WOW--- not around here--- even Sat. is limited to sales only.

dave01
08-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Thats great news. For a minute there I thought you were gonna tell me its because your kickstand was down.:dontknow::dontknow:

Raptor
08-30-2010, 01:16 AM
I ran out of fuel today in Maine near Newry. Long and pleasant story about local farm store that gave me a number for a local AAA.

When I ran out I was doing about 55, just reaching the crest of a hill and had my Throttlemeister engaged and hand off the throttle. I cruise over the hilltop and slide down the hill. Total travel after engine stop was nearly a mile -- stopping across from the aforementioned farm stand. Also, I was 2.1 miles from my target rural gas station.

The gent (older guy named Buster) shows up and he puts a gallon or so in the Spyder. I climb aboard and do all the right things and the starter button gets zero response.

I call my dealer -- but, no answer as they close early on Sunday because they are smart.

Eventually I put my hand on the throttle that I had not touched since the Spyder died and rolled a mile or so. It was clearly engaged, so I killed the Throttlemeister and the throttle returned to normal idle position.

Lesson, the Spyder will not start with the throttle engaged beyond a certain point. I presume to prevent over revving when starting.

Boy, did I feel dumb -- as Buster was kind enough to wait because he saw that the Spyder was not starting.

I wouldn't feel that way, happens to the best of us. Makes sense though that it wouldn't start with throttle engaged. I would consider that a basic safety feature. Glad to hear you are back on the road!

boborgera
08-30-2010, 05:36 AM

:thumbup:
Glad it turned out OK, But here's a question a lot of Spyder owners would like to know =
How many gallons did it take to fill the tank? :popcorn:

groundeffect
08-30-2010, 05:57 AM
:roflblack:
Thats great news. For a minute there I thought you were gonna tell me its because your kickstand was down.:dontknow::dontknow:

groundeffect
08-30-2010, 06:06 AM

In fact, there is a mode ( which I do not think you were in, but similar topic - thought I'd post it ) where you use WOT (Wide Open Throttle) when the engine is off, to get in a mode to turn off fuel injection and ignition while cranking. -- Shop manual, page 244: I think it is used to help start on a flooded engine, or clear the flooded fuel first, so you can start.?!

Drowned Mode (Flooded Engine)
If the engine is fuel-flooded and does not start, this special mode can be activated to prevent fuel injection and ignition while cranking. Proceed as follows to active it.

While ignition switch is ON while engine is STOPPED, twist and HOLD throttle at WOT position.
Press the start button and hold to crank engine. The mode is now on.
Releasing throttle will bring back the normal mode.

Sorry about moving away from your original post, but thought it may be helpful at some point?!

Thanks for sharing and glad you got started again and headed on your way!
Cheers,
Dean

fastfraser
08-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Glad it turned out OK, But here's a question a lot of Spyder owners would like to know =

And how many miles had you traveled on that tank ?:popcorn::popcorn:

Desert Spyder
08-30-2010, 07:11 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how he avgs. 35+ mpg. Wait a minute...he cruises to the next gas station on empty. Thats how its done!

BillGargan
08-30-2010, 07:36 AM
I wish I had a better answer than I have. I don't have the exact amount Buster put in the Spyder -- but, it only took 4.577 gallons at the station that was 2.1 miles down the road. I have put in way more than that in the past.

As has been discussed in the past. The tank has a capacity of 6.6 gallons. But, it appears that BRP designed it with the filler hole location to allow some expansion room above the max fill point.

I took a look on Fuelly and I believe the most I ever put in from scratch without other issues was 6.027. If you look at the tank and the filler it is clear you cannot fill it to the top -- so I thing we should all agree that the max USABLE tank capacity is 6 gallons.

BillGargan
08-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Methinks this extremely usable info that most of us folks do not have access to. Thanks!

In fact, there is a mode ( which I do not think you were in, but similar topic - thought I'd post it ) where you use WOT (Wide Open Throttle) when the engine is off, to get in a mode to turn off fuel injection and ignition while cranking. -- Shop manual, page 244: I think it is used to help start on a flooded engine, or clear the flooded fuel first, so you can start.?!

Drowned Mode (Flooded Engine)
If the engine is fuel-flooded and does not start, this special mode can be activated to prevent fuel injection and ignition while cranking. Proceed as follows to active it.

While ignition switch is ON while engine is STOPPED, twist and HOLD throttle at WOT position.
Press the start button and hold to crank engine. The mode is now on.
Releasing throttle will bring back the normal mode.

Sorry about moving away from your original post, but thought it may be helpful at some point?!

Thanks for sharing and glad you got started again and headed on your way!
Cheers,
Dean

dave01
08-30-2010, 07:38 AM
I took a look on Fuelly and I believe the most I ever put in from scratch without other issues was 6.027. If you look at the tank and the filler it is clear you cannot fill it to the top -- so I thing we should all agree that the max USABLE tank capacity is 6 gallons.

So true but I would love to be able to use the entire tank capacity. I still top off at 130 miles, just to be safe.

NancysToy
08-30-2010, 07:45 AM
I wish I had a better answer than I have. I don't have the exact amount Buster put in the Spyder -- but, it only took 4.577 gallons at the station that was 2.1 miles down the road. I have put in way more than that in the past.

As has been discussed in the past. The tank has a capacity of 6.6 gallons. But, it appears that BRP designed it with the filler hole location to allow some expansion room above the max fill point.

I suspect the hill had something to do with it. You may have had enough fuel to make it...on the level, but if the fuel runs away from the outlet on a hill or curve, you can be up the creek.

pjp623
08-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Glad to hear that your problem was a minor one.
Do you know how far you went after the "red" fuel light came on? :dontknow:

Star Cruiser
08-30-2010, 01:36 PM

:roflblack: :ohyea: :roflblack:

biker1
08-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Good ending to that story, if a bit red cheeked.
When I first got my bike, out of the crate and out for my first drive to town, no dealer here to telephone,, remember that one. Also, nobody tells you all the details of the bike, just interested in the sale.
So there I was, parked in not the best part of town and I can not start the bike, nothing doing, nada,, thing will not even fire up from the start button.
Took off all the side panels, on the side of the road and checked to see if the battery cables were loose,, nope, they were fine.
Called a garage I know and asked him to send a pick up truck and he said he would make some calls.
After a half an hour, got a telephone number of a guy in England and the first thing he says is,,, did you try the foot brake if its in gear ? WHAT ? What are you talking about !! He told me that the bike would not start if I had left it in first gear, unless you put your foot on the foot brake.
Started first time.
Now that was red cheeks, for sure :hun:

BillGargan
08-30-2010, 04:30 PM
As you are likely aware, the Spyder has the same issue. In this instance it was in 5th gear, so I was sure to step on the brake. I just was not smart enough to realize the throttle was engaged until I tripped over it!

Good ending to that story, if a bit red cheeked.
When I first got my bike, out of the crate and out for my first drive to town, no dealer here to telephone,, remember that one. Also, nobody tells you all the details of the bike, just interested in the sale.
So there I was, parked in not the best part of town and I can not start the bike, nothing doing, nada,, thing will not even fire up from the start button.
Took off all the side panels, on the side of the road and checked to see if the battery cables were loose,, nope, they were fine.
Called a garage I know and asked him to send a pick up truck and he said he would make some calls.
After a half an hour, got a telephone number of a guy in England and the first thing he says is,,, did you try the foot brake if its in gear ? WHAT ? What are you talking about !! He told me that the bike would not start if I had left it in first gear, unless you put your foot on the foot brake.
Started first time.
Now that was red cheeks, for sure :hun:

COOLMACHINE
08-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks for posting Bill. Glad it was not too too bad of a situation.

rogerb
08-30-2010, 05:44 PM
I have been a Spyder Ryder since Jube. The one thing I have noticed is that no matter what is posted on this site there is a round table discussion to see what can be learned from it whether good or bad. This is what makes you the best. A world wide familly watching out for each other. I'm online everyday checking it out. I'm not dissapointed. Thank you all.:clap::clap:

bjt
08-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Good to know!

Um--- a dealer open on a Sunday?

WOW--- not around here--- even Sat. is limited to sales only.

+1 My dealer even has limited hours on a Saturday, only half a day.