PDA

View Full Version : rented spyder

elixermixer
08-29-2010, 05:30 PM
so like the title says i rented a spyder (gs/rs sm5) this past weekend to see if the gf would enjoy it enough for us to look at getting one to use (she is new to motorcycle type vehicles, and has zero interest in a bike). anyways to my surprise she had more than a lot of fun on it! and hell i was a little surprised by how much fun i had as well.
i guess a few questions about the spyder (nothing make or break just curious type stuff).
whats with the lack of a 6th gear?... although i really like the reverse
why the funky gauge cluster, by this i mean why does the speedo move clockwise and the tach counter clockwise... its "different" from anything else ive ever ridden or driven.
why bother with the analog speedo that goes to some 180ish mph (i cant remember) when a) the spyder doesnt get that close at all and b) you have a beautiful digital display thats also telling you how big a speeding ticket you will be getting
any clue why the ugly gray back lighting of the displays at night?
but basically the two of us had a blast and she would love us to get one.

boborgera
08-29-2010, 05:41 PM
why the funky gauge cluster, by this i mean why does the speedo move clockwise and the tach counter clockwise...

That way they can meet in the middle :roflblack:

elixermixer
08-29-2010, 05:58 PM
That way they can meet in the middle :roflblack:
oooooh i tried... no such luck, one only gets about half way up... kinda limp :gaah: lol still a friggin blast

dancogan
08-29-2010, 06:07 PM
If the GS is like my RT you can set the speed for either mph or kph. That might be the reason for the speedo going to 180. I think 180 kph is just a bit over 100 mph (no calculator available).

Gordy
08-29-2010, 06:07 PM
change display to metric :yikes:

elixermixer
08-29-2010, 06:13 PM
see since i didnt ride around in metric i wouldnt have seen it sweep up to the upper end i guess... :( see this is why i asked... i still dont get why its there when you have the digi?
so i guess the tach would go to about 190ish given my calculations from mph. good to know :) see my world is starting to make sense

NancysToy
08-29-2010, 06:24 PM
It is what it is! If these things bother you, perhaps you can get hired by BRP and join the design team. Nothing fits everybody's idea of a "perfect" vehicle. Welcome to the real world. :D

StanTheMan
08-29-2010, 06:27 PM
You were close to the answer on the 6th gear question... 6 gears = 5 gears forward + 1 gear reverse.

I agree, why analog and digital speedometers...maybe analog for the old school folks ;)

As for the clockwise/counter clockwise needles...not sure why, but it's cool (got your attention!)

I think the instrument cluster issue is minor when you consider all the great engineering feats that are built in the Spyder.

Good luck with your decision.

elixermixer
08-29-2010, 06:32 PM
oh no dont get me wrong i had a blast and it works perfect for the girl and i... the cluster did not deter me just caused me to go "huh... i dont get it... but who cares"
she likes it due to the lack of lean like a bike (she is in a wheelchair). and looks like there are plenty of options for bringing the chair along with us.
it was fun just brought up a few questions. other than that we put about 400+ miles in 2 days mostly back road rippin :2thumbs:
anyone know if the tach speedo cluster setup is similar to snowmobiles? that would make sense given the brp background

Firefly
08-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Brp is using similar displays on various other things they sell. The rt display is different yet. With the right setup the spyder could max out the 200----- but only if you have it set to kph. I've hit 128 mph which is 206 kph.

With the addition of a handbrake your girl could even get her own SE5. :-)

WackyDan
08-29-2010, 07:02 PM
If your girlfriend is wheel chair bound then you can't really find a better ride than the spyder for the disabled that is as much fun and safe... relatively speaking.

elixermixer
08-29-2010, 07:13 PM
yes firefly she could and that is also one of the reasons we originally looked into them... it might be a down the road thing shes still getting used to the "no doors" concept... and if she rides it... i wont be anywhere near it :) far far faaaaaar away. they are much faster than people let on (if you want them to be)

COOLMACHINE
08-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Here's one for sale on this forum with wheelchair carrier.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20537

NancysToy
08-29-2010, 09:24 PM
I agree, why analog and digital speedometers...maybe analog for the old school folks ;)
I think I may have a stumbled on the reason for this...at least on the RT. I had switched modes the other day on my RTS, just as I came to a lower speed zone. The RT does not switch back to the standard display immediately, so I had no way to check my speed quickly, without looking at the analog speedo. Same can go for the RT tach. Sure, I could have hit the mode button a couple of times, but my thumb was off the switch, and it would still have taken a couple of extra seconds. I think part of having the analogs is just fluff and show, but there is a reason for some of their madness.

Sny
08-29-2010, 10:21 PM
I've noticed the analog gauges also register a lot more quickly; which for the most part doesn't mean a thing. But when you're taking the M class test on it and they tell you to go exactly 20mph into the braking zone...

Well let's just say I failed that step several times because I was watching the digital gauge and going WAY too fast into the braking zone. I still stopped in under 1/3rd the distance, so the guy let me try again until I figured out I should watch the analog gauge.

Not that I can think of any reason you'd need that kind of responsiveness after that.

There might be some kind of legal requirement to have an analog gauge on any multi-function display that might show something else. :dontknow:

elixermixer
08-29-2010, 10:31 PM
hey all these sound good it was just something i noticed and wasnt sure if i was just missing something. i was like hey cool all analog and then i fired it up and BAM not only does it tell me what gear im in but also speed right there in the digital readout... all a very nice display if you ask me with tons of info. i only beat on the thing for 2 days an a few hund miles so i wasnt sure if i was missing something obvious

Sny
08-29-2010, 10:45 PM
So... what color are you gettin'? :2thumbs: I've heard Blue is the fastest these days, but Green is the color of envy!

spyryder
08-29-2010, 10:46 PM
You can turn the digital speedo off and have it read ouside temps instead if you want.....or digital rpm I thnk.

elixermixer
08-29-2010, 10:59 PM
So... what color are you gettin'? :2thumbs: I've heard Blue is the fastest these days
i think your right... and someone told me racing stripes add at LEAST 10hp TO THE WHEEL :roflblack:
looks like itll probably turn to a shop and hunt for whats affordable this winter unless something comes new down the pipe for 2011... i dunno different maps for highway ridding (touring), a sport mod, rain mode... things to alter the power delivery and stabili trac controls blah blah blah to better suit riding conditions... that would be kinda nice, all the technology is in place :2thumbs:

Arthur---Mexico
08-29-2010, 11:53 PM
You ought to see my new 2011 Rolls Royce convertable. It's perfect and has a V13 engine!

It is what it is! If these things bother you, perhaps you can get hired by BRP and join the design team. Nothing fits everybody's idea of a "perfect" vehicle. Welcome to the real world. :D

bjt
08-30-2010, 05:54 PM
You can turn the digital speedo off and have it read ouside temps instead if you want.....or digital rpm I thnk.

The digital speedo can also be set to display digital tach.

EricDeub
08-30-2010, 06:33 PM
I go so fast and have so much fun I don't have time to look at cluster :D

tatt2r
08-30-2010, 06:41 PM
did you rent it from Jug in manchester...???

SpyderWolf
08-30-2010, 07:46 PM
welcome elixermixer!

Best of luck on your search for a Spyder.

elixermixer
08-30-2010, 08:56 PM
tatt2r i found the place through the eagle rider web site. im not sure the owners name that ran the shop in manch but he was a friggin nice guy and wicked laid back.

id rent from them again in a heartbeat but id rather buy my own :)

tatt2r
08-31-2010, 05:11 PM
tatt2r i found the place through the eagle rider web site. im not sure the owners name that ran the shop in manch but he was a friggin nice guy and wicked laid back.

id rent from them again in a heartbeat but id rather buy my own :)

thats Jug my friends bike shop (twisted cycle) is across the parking lot from his.. he is a great guy ....

New Sharon Spyder
08-31-2010, 06:05 PM
You need to try a RT if your girl liked riding on a RS she would really enjoy a RT. The rear back rest and seat is great for passenger confort. Arm rest would be a plus but we can't get it all at once. Ye, the gauges must be a canadian thing....

mtdoragary
08-31-2010, 06:19 PM
If your girlfriend is wheel chair bound then you can't really find a better ride than the spyder for the disabled that is as much fun and safe... relatively speaking.

I dunno; a URAL Patrol with a custom sidecar that la wheelchair rolls up onto is mighty nice too!

elixermixer
08-31-2010, 06:39 PM
You need to try a RT if your girl liked riding on a RS she would really enjoy a RT. The rear back rest and seat is great for passenger confort. Arm rest would be a plus but we can't get it all at once. Ye, the gauges must be a canadian thing....

yeah we thought about that... biggest downside: price. she did like the idea of a bigger seat and also liked the seat on the hd trike, it feels like there is more "under her" which is a good false sense of security. but there also seems to be a great deal of options for bringing her chair along with us... honestly both appeal to us.

I dunno; a URAL Patrol with a custom sidecar that la wheelchair rolls up onto is mighty nice too!

believe me i thought about it... or just about any other bike with a sidecar could be fun but she didnt like the idea of that AT ALL. so i wont push her too much an think we found a really really good and fun option