PDA

View Full Version : Spyder-1 ... Hummer - 0

WackyDan
08-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Spyder run to Greenville, SC late yesterday. Storm system decided to sit right over the top of Greenville in the early evening. Finally around 9pm I made a run for it and ran into heavy rain just north of Greenville on I-85.

Priceless = All weather Spyder blowing by Hummer parked under a bridge to wait out the rain. The whole thing struck me kinda odd. Uber 4x4 waiting out the downpour and here comes me on a spyder with just my rain jacket on booking on by. Maybe the near vertical nature of the Hummer windshields make rain suck more. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised any more, but I actually had decent visibility given the darkness and just tooled along about 60-65 MPH well behind other traffic. Rear tire is nearing replacement but it didn't skate on me once.

tatt2r
08-27-2010, 04:26 PM
sold me hummer kept my spyder ...:2thumbs:

freebob
08-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Spyder run to Greenville, SC late yesterday. Storm system decided to sit right over the top of Greenville in the early evening. Finally around 9pm I made a run for it and ran into heavy rain just north of Greenville on I-85.

Priceless = All weather Spyder blowing by Hummer parked under a bridge to wait out the rain. The whole thing struck me kinda odd. Uber 4x4 waiting out the downpour and here comes me on a spyder with just my rain jacket on booking on by. Maybe the near vertical nature of the Hummer windshields make rain suck more. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised any more, but I actually had decent visibility given the darkness and just tooled along about 60-65 MPH well behind other traffic. Rear tire is nearing replacement but it didn't skate on me once.

Well It could be Hummer was using better judgement and he could have had family and or friends with him in vehicle..Drive safe...Freebob..:doorag:

musicarcade
08-27-2010, 05:28 PM
:roflblack::spyder::roflblack:

boborgera
08-27-2010, 07:47 PM

:dontknow:
Sooner or latter every one will learn their limits:ohyea:

SpyderWolf
08-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Glad to hear you made it home safely. The weather is supposed to be a whole lot nicer this weekend. :D

Firefly
08-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Sounds like the Hummer just might have had a wuss behind the wheel----:roflblack:.

Last year on our way to the Smokies event, Someguy and I ran into one heck of a rainstorm going through the mountains. We made it through and stopped to eat some food and take a breather when some woman saw us in the restaurant and said 'you guys are quite the adventurers riding in that rain'. :2thumbs:

WackyDan
08-27-2010, 09:56 PM
:dontknow:
Sooner or latter every one will learn their limits:ohyea:
Yup... I rode through the worst rain imaginable in Florida back in March... I had no business being out in it, but then again, the spyder performed perfectly. What looked like ten miles of rain on the map ended up being a large system and took about 50 miles to run through.

I waited as long as I could last night, and was monitoring the weather map at my buddy's house, and made a break for it. Almost got the timing right. :) Last night's rain was nothing like Florida, but I took it easy. I have the rain limits of the Spyder pretty well down now.

SPYDERGUY1
08-27-2010, 10:02 PM
GO SPYDER GO, ride safe tho...........:ohyea:

dave01
08-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Guys, they are Seadoos on wheels. A little rain wont hurt anything. I think mine floated part of the way back home from Chicago.

SPYDERGUY1
08-27-2010, 10:47 PM
never heard refered to as a seadoo on wheels, but I guess. As a previous post , something to the effect , hopefully you learn soon than later.

Mo Lee
08-28-2010, 05:04 AM
Sure wish it would rain, my Spyder is dirty.

Trickie Dick
08-28-2010, 08:47 AM
+1:helpsmilie:

bjt
08-28-2010, 09:19 AM

+1:helpsmilie:

+2 :D

SpyderCrazy
08-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Last year on our way to the Smokies event, Someguy and I ran into one heck of a rainstorm going through the mountains.

+1

Yep, we ran in a heavy storm on our way to the Smokies last year also. Glad I had taken an extra set of boots. We had to pour the water out of our boots when we got to the hotel and they were still wet several days later.

Also, I have found it is alot better to have on a full face helmet and gloves instead of a half helmet and no gloves when spydering in the rain.

Tom in NM
08-28-2010, 12:58 PM
When I see something like that, or someone driving driving real slow, I figure they are just driving to their limits. Better that, than trying to perform over their capabilities.

Tom

musicarcade
08-28-2010, 03:25 PM
When I see something like that, or someone driving driving real slow, I figure they are just driving to their limits. Better that, than trying to perform over their capabilities.

Tom
:agree:

jnt
08-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Mebbe the Hummer-driver didn't have Rain-X or had a shield fulla crappy. Been there!:spyder:

BajaRon
08-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Hit some pretty good rain coming back from Magog. Did not have rain gloves and it started coming into my sleeves even though they have the bungie cuffs. Once rain gets on the inside of rain gear, the material becomes porous and it doesn't work too well.

It was coming down in buckets but I just kept on going. The rear tire on the Spyder can get loose but it will stay put if you treat it right.

WackyDan
08-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Mebbe the Hummer-driver didn't have Rain-X or had a shield fulla crappy. Been there!:spyder:

I really think it is the more vertical rake of the windshield on those hummers that make hard rains difficult to see in. This was either an H2 or H3.

Some Guy
08-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Last year on our way to the Smokies event, Someguy and I ran into one heck of a rainstorm going through the mountains. We made it through and stopped to eat some food and take a breather when some woman saw us in the restaurant and said 'you guys are quite the adventurers riding in that rain'. :2thumbs:

Not to be confused with SomeGirl! :shemademe_smilie: :D

It was a little scary when I saw the back end of your Spyder briefly hydroplane. But all was good.