PDA

View Full Version : 12K AND WARRANTY EXPERIENCE

BillGargan
08-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I was nearing the need to schedule my 12,000 mile service, so I called and scheduled it.

I live on a hill with a paved but rough road and several curves.

Going down the hill is more rugged than going up because you have to deal with inertia and bouncing on the rough road that makes the curves more difficult to handle. So, slow as you go on the way down.

One day as I neared my appointment for the 12,000 mile service I was going down the hill and felt that -- in particular -- the right turns seems harder than they had in the past. I did not react right away and wrote it off to being a wimpy 70-year-old.

Later, I was stopped in traffic and the thought about the right turns came to mind. So, I tried turning the handlebar. NOT! I was not having any issues turning while moving (except the slow turns on the hill) but it was going to take more than I was willing to apply to get the handlebars to turn while stopped with the motor running.

A consult with my tech when I brought the Spyder in for the 12K caused him to agree that there was a steering issue. I live 40 minutes away, so I had to make another appointment so I could get a ride and could drop it off rather than wait as I usually do. That way they could deal with the steering issue while doing the 12K.

It turns out the power steering pump was either dead or failing. This, along with a warranty replacement of the muffler gasket (surprise here) came to just under $1,100.00 that was billed to BRP. The gasket replacement was covered under the emissions warranty. I understand that the pump alone is in the mid $800s or so!

My 12K service ended up at $330 or so. It was done with an abundance of common sense with regard to what was not done -- like the valves. The 12K could cost lots and lots more.

Here! Here! for BRP and daSilva Motorsports in NH!:clap:

COOLMACHINE
08-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks for sharing Bill.
The cost of my 12K is listed in the thread below.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14461

NancysToy
08-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Just so you know, there is no "power steering pump". The DPS unit is electrically assisted. You are yet another of the well known "DPS failures". Glad it didn't cause you control issues or a bad scare. All in all, this was a good way to find out.

Firefly
08-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Glad you got things taken care of and have a good dealer taking care of you.:thumbup:

So you skipped the valve check then ?

I had mine checked at 6,000.

Have it in right now for some other things at 26,000 miles.
DPS sticking is one of them - along with a brake error code.

Decided to skip the valve check as I think it's really overkill to check so often.

Also decided NOT to have them change the brake fluid as they wanted to bill 2.5 hours for it.:yikes: