PDA

View Full Version : JUST A THOUGHT

namknight
08-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Everyday I check out the forums and everyday someone has a problem. Especially with the RT models. most of them with very low mileage.
So I can't help but wonder if many of these problems could be because of shoddy work on the production line, or that the company is using poor (read cheap) components.

Lamonster
08-26-2010, 09:52 AM
I run 10 forums now and it's pretty much the same thing on those. Think of this as the Doctors office, more sick people post than healthy. It's just the nature of the beast.

M2Wild
08-26-2010, 10:34 AM
I run 10 forums now and it's pretty much the same thing on those. Think of this as the Doctors office, more sick people post than healthy. It's just the nature of the beast.
:agree:And this is the place to be if your Spyder ever got sick hence so many comes here.:doorag:

New Sharon Spyder
08-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I agree, people dont spread the news if it is good, but have some bad news and it spreads like wild fire. I was in the auto service business for years and a happy customer will tell 3 people and a unhappy customer will tell 10 people. This is a place to get some good advise. but it is nice to see some good Spyder post. I have 3,000 mile on my 2010 RT audio manual and only very minor guality control issues have come up. Had a 2008 RM5 before that and had great luck in 6,000 miles. It is a great machine.

ARtraveler
08-26-2010, 10:55 AM
:agree:, me too. It seems that most people come to this forum to get problems solved, not to grind an axe. Of course, you are going to hear about problems, thats how we solve them. There are also a lot of positive posts from ryders that like their machines. Many of us have more than 1 machine and have experienced few problems or issues.

canam9
08-26-2010, 11:39 AM
I own a RT-S and I love it. :ani29:

PAPA G
08-26-2010, 12:37 PM
7000.MILES NO PROBLEMS I LOVE MY SPYDEE RIDE EVERY DAY..............:spyder::yes::yes::firstplace:

jgwoods
08-26-2010, 02:14 PM
It is the nature of the beast as Lamont says. I won't say I never had a problem, but I never had one stick me. Right now my Spyder is in the shop getting a free muffler, free mode switch and free DPS replacement, all in 3 days and rainy ones at that.
I got nothing to complain about. WHat I find useful around here is peoples reviews/comments on various pieces of equipment, and knowing that I have a place to ask questions and get good answers fast.

Capt John
08-26-2010, 02:42 PM
1 Oh Crap! wipes out 50 ataboys!

Raptor
08-26-2010, 02:50 PM

This is true. But I agree with Man2Wild that if you ever need advice on a problem, mods or whatever, THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE. The tips and tricks I have found on this site are brilliant, as are the people who share them.

As far as I go, I am pushing 5,000 miles on the RS-S which is now in the capable hands of my Wife, 1spydercat1, and I have put 2704 on 14 in about a month. Both have performed admirably to date. Only 1 recall on the RS-S (SE5 clutch) and no QC issues with either machine. So knock on wood, we are A-OK!! :2thumbs:

musicarcade
08-26-2010, 03:04 PM

That seems to be the case.
Several weeks ago I was called out for "crapping" on positive threads.
I admit I did that and apologized, as it really was not my intent. A lot of time you read these threads like (at least I do) like you are chatting to a bunch of friends/folks like you were chatting over your back fence, or around the office cooler. When you've been without your Spyder for a while (several months) it's difficult to not sound like a whiner because you are so frustrated that you aren't out ryding like it seems EVERYONE else is.:(

Anyway, after being straightened out by Lamonster and a few others on the site, I backed away about my griping. I started to count the "negative posts". On the busiest "negative" type days, only about 1/8 were negative. Many were positive and a lot were just informative with no negative connotation to them. I don't think there as many negative posts as it may seem. I just did a quick scan of "New Posts" and only found 2 that were imho, negative.

It's kind of like taking a sheet of notebook paper and putting a black circle the size of a pea in the middle of it. You hand that to someone and ask what they see, and they'll say a black dot. They don't say it's a small black dot surrounded by a sea of white.

I tend to think that's what happens when you read posts here and you notice the negative ones. You tend to forget about someone's great new wrap, or someone else's photos from a trip, or about another member ryding 2 hours to get parts for someone else so they can make thier summer vacation happen, or Evan's contests, or Irish's photo contest.

I believe there is a lot more positive here than negative any day of the week. but as Capt. John says- one "oh crap" wipes out 50 attaboys"

boborgera
08-26-2010, 04:27 PM
I really think most negative posts shouldn't be looked upon negatively .
It's more like their posting out of desperation [blowing off steam] and asking for help at the same time. Believe me if every time your Spyder was going to be in for repairs, and you got a loner to ride you would see very few[so called] negative post's. It's the bring it in don't know when you'll see your Spyder again, that's what drives people nut's.

musicarcade
08-26-2010, 04:43 PM
I really think most negative posts shouldn't be looked upon negatively .
It's more like their posting out of desperation [blowing off steam] and asking for help at the same time. Believe me if every time your Spyder was going to be in for repairs, and you got a loner to ride you would see very few[so called] negative post's. It's the bring it in don't know when you'll see your Spyder again, that's what drives people nut's.
:agree:
when I was counting "negative" posts, I was opening my definition as wide as can be. "so called" negative posts to me, were exactly that- "So called"- not what I would consider negative, but in the broadest way of being constued as negative- and I still didn't see that many compared to the "happy" ones, the informative ones, or just giving shout outs to other members.:dontknow:

BajaRon
08-26-2010, 04:47 PM
If someone has a legitimate issue, this is the place to be.

If someone is having the time of their life on the Spyder, this is the place to be.

If someone is thinking about getting a Spyder, this is the place to be.

It's not negative to post about a problem if you're looking for a solution. And you won't find a better support group anywhere else for the Spyder.

Now some people do get negative and that is a shame. But we're big boys and girls and we can handle it! :thumbup:

dave711
08-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Just took my RT in for 3000 mi service last week after my radio antenia fell off in never to be seen again land. My dealer ordered a new one under waranty. I also noticed my real shock wasn't performing as it should (found info here) and asked the dealer about it when I was picking it up and they also had ordered a new shock which is also covered under waranty. So I guess the only thing I can complain about on the RT is that the parts were not in stock when I needed them! 3500 frown free miles!

bikeguy
08-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Some folks have had some problems with RS's and a few with RT's and I'm always sorry to hear about them. BUT - I have 6200 miles on my RT and my ONLY problem has been having two panels blow off. One right middle side panel which the dealer replaced and one left middle side panel which BRP warranteed. Neither one kept me from riding. Wife and I rode a little over 200 miles today "just riding" because the weather cooled off to 89 degrees. Seemed like an air conditioner was on when you are used to 105 or so. I love the RT and, so far at least, it has been as reliable as any motorcycle I've ever owned.

Cotton

Star Cruiser
08-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Some folks have had some problems with RS's and a few with RT's and I'm always sorry to hear about them. BUT - I have 6200 miles on my RT and my ONLY problem has been having two panels blow off. One right middle side panel which the dealer replaced and one left middle side panel which BRP warranteed. Neither one kept me from riding. Wife and I rode a little over 200 miles today "just riding" because the weather cooled off to 89 degrees. Seemed like an air conditioner was on when you are used to 105 or so. I love the RT and, so far at least, it has been as reliable as any motorcycle I've ever owned.

Cotton

I can say that they get ironed out pretty handily.
had a few issues with my 2008 SE (One of the first models) they were repaired and now I have 50,000 trouble free km's (~30,000miles) I love it. I think it might be the RYDER getting used to the bike as well. I am riding it more like a Spyder and less like a Cruiser fort he last 20,000 miles
Not to mention the GREAT people that I have met on this forum and at the many events.
See you at "Spyders in the Smokies"

SpyderWolf
08-26-2010, 09:00 PM
That seems to be the case.
Several weeks ago I was called out for "crapping" on positive threads.
I admit I did that and apologized, as it really was not my intent. A lot of time you read these threads like (at least I do) like you are chatting to a bunch of friends/folks like you were chatting over your back fence, or around the office cooler. When you've been without your Spyder for a while (several months) it's difficult to not sound like a whiner because you are so frustrated that you aren't out ryding like it seems EVERYONE else is.:(

Anyway, after being straightened out by Lamonster and a few others on the site, I backed away about my griping. I started to count the "negative posts". On the busiest "negative" type days, only about 1/8 were negative. Many were positive and a lot were just informative with no negative connotation to them. I don't think there as many negative posts as it may seem. I just did a quick scan of "New Posts" and only found 2 that were imho, negative.

It's kind of like taking a sheet of notebook paper and putting a black circle the size of a pea in the middle of it. You hand that to someone and ask what they see, and they'll say a black dot. They don't say it's a small black dot surrounded by a sea of white.

I tend to think that's what happens when you read posts here and you notice the negative ones. You tend to forget about someone's great new wrap, or someone else's photos from a trip, or about another member ryding 2 hours to get parts for someone else so they can make thier summer vacation happen, or Evan's contests, or Irish's photo contest.

I believe there is a lot more positive here than negative any day of the week. but as Capt. John says- one "oh crap" wipes out 50 attaboys"

:clap: Great insight, and explanation, Tom. :clap: