PDA

View Full Version : Ludington MI Places to Ride

1551retired
08-23-2010, 07:54 PM
:2excited: We will be in the Ludington MI area in early Sep and are looking for suggestions on routes to ride our :spyder2:in that area. Probably half day rides. The Tunnel of Trees route looks great, but is too far for us to ride this trip.

bjt
08-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Check out this website. They show a few nice roads in that area. Either the North section or the western Uplands section.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/mi.html

NancysToy
08-23-2010, 09:04 PM
My favorite rides have us hugging the Lake, going either direction. Scenic Drive from Muskegon to Whitehall is real nice! So is about anyplace where you can glimpse Lake Michigan from time to time. Google Maps will let you plan your own route. Just pick a destination, then drag the route to the lakeshore roads. Expect to spend several times the typical highway riding time if you take the scenic route. If you get a chance, watch the car ferry leave or arrive. Kind of neat.

dancogan
08-24-2010, 06:26 AM
I agree with Scotty. Any ride that hugs the lakeshore will be nice. The town of Holland is a neat place with a small private college, a state park out by the lake and a lighthouse. Just south of Holland is Saugatuck, an artsy place.

One thing to keep in mind is that while some places stay open through the fall color season, a lot will close up right after Labor Day.

One of my favorite rides is to follow 22 from Manistee up to Northport. Beautiful ride.

1551retired
08-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions and the Motorcycle Roads website is awesome!:2thumbs: Looking forward to riding along Lake Michigan in early Sep!

NancysToy
08-25-2010, 04:32 PM
One other thing, you may want to pick up a copy of Motorcycling Across Michigan by William Murphy. It has some good rides all over the state, including that area. He also has guides for Ohio, Indiana, and Wisconsin.