PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel of Trees Weekend - Michigan

Littlebadwolf
08-23-2010, 04:08 PM
I guess Bob & Joan got my wife excited about taking a weekend trip up to the Tunnel of Trees in Harbor Springs/Cross Village, Michigan. Short story...it's gonna happen. It looks like a terrific ride in beautiful country on a stretch of one of the most scenic roads in the country. We're planning on the 1st weekend in October with a stay over on Saturday. If the first weekend doesn't work, then the 2nd one. If anybody's interested in joining up with us post a note here in the forum. We'd like to get a hotel booked asap due to the high demand. Here's a link for info on the ride and possible lodging areas. This should be one of the best rides of the year.
M-119 (Michigan highway) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-119_(Michigan_highway)) (Tunnel of Trees)
Tunnel of Trees Lodging (about:blank)

bjt
08-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Deb and I might like to do this. Last time we were up there, we camped in the KOA at Mackinaw City.

NancysToy
08-23-2010, 05:24 PM
I think if we did it, we would likely camp...and maybe visit some friends up North, too. We'll keep it in mind. It's a little far ahead for us to say for sure. Oops, Nancy just told me the first weekend of October is homecoming, so she's booked for that one.

dancogan
08-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Geri and I are interested if we can get off that Friday.

By the way, there's a great KOA in Petoskey: "The spectacular Petoskey RV & Cabin Resort is located in beautiful Northwest Michigan. The park is rated #1 in Michigan by Trailer Life and it is among the highest rated RV resort's in North America." They close on 10/12.

We could either motel it or use the motorhome. By the way, I couldn't get the link to work for lodging.

mxz600
08-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Sounds good to me. Will know more as we get closer to that date.

Littlebadwolf
08-23-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm not adverse to camping either...Let the majority decide which weekend works best and hopefully by this weekend we'll have a concrete date. Sorry about the bad link...try this one.
HotelReservations.com – Properties near Harbor Springs, MI (http://book.hotelreservations.com/hotel/searchresults?currencyCode=USD&additionalDataString=vrBookingSource%7Cindex&locale=en_US&searchParam=45.431046%7C-84.98271%7C1%7CHarbor+Springs%2C+MI%7C%7C+%7C+%7C+ %7C&searchType=ADDRESS&travelDetail=%5B20101002-1%5D2&cid=165272)

This one looked good...
Comfort Inn - Reviews - Harbor Springs Hotels - Search KAYAK for Great Rates a (http://kayak.travel.aol.com/Petoskey-Hotels.Comfort_Inn.23192.ksp?searchid=WBA1um&ro=true&hid=23192&rating=2&bookiturl=88fbb674a8.CHOICE,CHOICE.8639|863244c876 .EXPEDIA,EXPEDIA.-100|27628eb4c1.ORBITZHOTEL,ORBITZHOTEL.8711|cf7901 a0ea.CHEAPTICKETSHOTEL,ORBITZHOTEL.8711|b942b51401 .HOTELSDOTCOM,EXPEDIAHOTEL.8711|1c38b30d54.HOTELCL UB,HOTELCLUB.9000&idx=0&page=reviews)

RTaz
08-24-2010, 06:33 AM
On your way up to the Tunnel of Tree's ...I recommend you take M-22 and scoot around the Leelanau Peninsula....also the ride up Mission Point (M-37) to the Lighthouse has always been one of my favorites.

RLS
08-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Joan and I are up for the Tunnel. The only weekend we have available is Oct. 1,2,3. So, if it's a go for that weekend count us in. We will probably stay in one of the area motels. Larry sent you an e-mail today regarding area motels.

Littlebadwolf
08-24-2010, 02:33 PM
I think I was a little over zealous on this one. I didn't realize that Bob had already started this trip as an organized ride and I extend my sincere apologies. Sorry ). Anyway..I don't want to confuse the situation, Bob will be coordinating details for this ride, one that we're looking forward to. Larry

jmkipp
08-24-2010, 03:15 PM
we were up to the tunnel of trees last week if you stay at days inn in Petoskey you get a 20% discount if you are riding a bike
Jack

SpyderAnn01
08-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Joe and I would love to go, I think either weekend is good for us. If the majority are camping we would do that also (if I can figure out how to load the RT in the toy hauler without taking off the nose)

mvengineer
08-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Would love to do this trip. It will give me an opportunity to haul my spyder in my toy hauler/camper then do the ride. Wouldnt mind staying a night or two. Waiting for more date details to confirm. Thanks to the organizers.

NancysToy
08-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Wow, culture shock! I didn't envision RVs when I mentioned camping. How naive is that? I've gotta get out more! :roflblack:

RLS
08-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Ok, it's official the dates for the Tunnel of Trees ride is going to be October 1,2,3. I made reservations for Joan and myself this morning at the Days Inn in Petoskey. They do offer a "bikers special" that is 20% off the room rate for any one that rides. The total room rate including tax is $153.70 for the two nights. I'm including the contact info for the Days Inn and for the Petoskey KOA for those of you that are going to camp.
.Days Inn
1420 spring Street (US-131)
Petoskey, Mi. 49770
(231) 348-3900
They have the reservation tagged at Days Inn as Spyder Ride so they will you are with the group.
.Petokey KOA
1800 N. US-31
Petoskey, Mi. 49770
(231) 347-0005
(800) 562-0253
We hope as many of you can make as possible. The Tunnel is a beautiful ride and of course there is always Legs Inn for a lunch stop.
hope to see you there.
Bob

dancogan
08-25-2010, 12:38 PM
OK, we have reservations at the Days Inn. Now we just need to hope nothing on Geri's calendar or mine upsets our plans...

Littlebadwolf
08-25-2010, 07:37 PM
We just amde reservations also...They gal did mention that's there's also a wedding at the hotel the same timeframe.

RLS
08-25-2010, 08:10 PM
We just amde reservations also...They gal did mention that's there's also a wedding at the hotel the same timeframe.
:clap: Oh boy, free beer and eats. It doesn't get any better. :roflblack:

mvengineer
08-25-2010, 08:17 PM
I am making reservations tomorrow morning. Scotty, do you want me to bring Larry Oz behind me on the spyder. Just kidding.

mvengineer
08-25-2010, 08:31 PM
As a matter of fact I just made the reservations tonight for two nights @ the days inn for October 1st and 2nd. Look forward to meet many Michiganian Spyder riders.

dancogan
08-25-2010, 08:39 PM
As a matter of fact I just made the reservations tonight for two nights @ the days inn for October 1st and 2nd. Look forward to meet many Michiganian Spyder riders.

Us, too! :2thumbs:

NancysToy
08-25-2010, 09:10 PM
I am making reservations tomorrow morning. Scotty, do you want me to bring Larry Oz behind me on the spyder. Just kidding.
I'd probably pay to see that! :roflblack:

GadgetGuy442
09-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Sandy and I are very interested and are trying to work in a fall shutdown of our cabin (in Lewiston) with the weekend activities being planned. Will keep an eye to this post for any details as they might change and we will keep y'all informed. Bob, thanks for setting this all up, will keep in touch. Bill :2thumbs:

GadgetGuy442
09-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Well, we're booked at the Days Inn...... We'll see everyone there!!

dancogan
09-21-2010, 07:04 AM
I'm taking a half day off tomorrow to take our RT in to C&C in Brighton for the DPS recall. They'll also do an oil change and we'll be ready for some northern Michigan touring!

Are we all going to meet in Petoskey, or maybe meet up to ride together to Petoskey?

Anyone interested in continuing up to Mackinac City from Legg's Inn, and maybe crossing the bridge just for fun?

mvengineer
09-21-2010, 08:46 AM
I am travelling to Petosky on Friday October 1st. staying @ the Days InnFriday and saturday. I am assuming our start and get together point will be at the Days Inn Saturday morning and take it from there as to what the program is ?

dancogan
09-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Our travel plans are pretty much the same - use all day Friday to travel to Petoskey via the scenic route, to the Days Inn. I was just wondering if any of the group from SE Michigan was planning on riding together or finding some place to meet up for lunch on Friday. Plenty of time to plan.

mvengineer
09-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Dan
I was going to transport my spyder in my toy hauler which I bought recently. otherwise the idea of riding together to Petosky from SE michigan sounds wonderful too, espically if the weather will be nice. what route where you planning ? Please let me know .Thanks.
Jason

Littlebadwolf
09-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Cindi & I would be happy to meet up with folks from southerm MI on this run. We're planning on leaving Friday morning. Will watch the board for details.

RLS
09-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone,
Looks like we are going to have a good time. Joan and I will be leaving on Friday morning also. As the time draws nearer we can connect and try to arrange a time and place to meet to ride up to Petoskey together. We have to make a quick trip to South Carolina this week end, but we try to talk when we get back.
Bob
:2excited:

dancogan
09-23-2010, 06:18 AM
Bob, have a safe journey to SC. Plenty of time to make plans next week.

Well, made an appointment a week in advance at C&C for the DPS recall, took off a half day of work, and when I arrived they didn't have the replacement part. No excuse, no reason why they didn't call me in the morning to save a trip up there. I was not a happy camper. He said they would do it on a Saturday while I waited and at least did apologize, but jeez, I was not pleased. Why did they ask for a phone number if they're not going to use it?

RLS
09-27-2010, 12:04 PM
It looks like we are going to have at least 5 or 6 Spyders making the Tunnel of Trees ride in Petoskey this weekend. If anyone wants to join it's not late. We will be leaving Friday morning around 9:00am. However, because Joan's Spyder is at the dealer in Mt Morris for the DPS recall, and our schedule this week is so tight, we are picking it up on the way north. So we will be travelling I-75 north, if anyone wants to ride with us get in touch and we'll make arrangements. Hope to see all of you on Friday.
Bob

SpyderAnn01
09-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Hope you all have fun. We won't be able to go we are returning the RS to Wisconsin this weekend. I'll probably ride it and Joe will follow in the car. We need to do it while the weather is halfway decent. We don't have a 12v outlet on it to plug in electric clothes.

We missed ya'll at SITS we had a great time. 1,800 miles for Joe 1,780 for me as mine spent 20 miles being towed to a dealer for emergency surgery.

GadgetGuy442
09-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Well, Sandy and I are not going to be getting to the North country this weekend.... it's just gonna be too darn cold!! :gaah:

We rode last Saturday morning and that was cold enough, in spite of chaps, leathers, thinsulate and more. This weekend will be much colder yet (40's), and we're just not up for that.

Fair weather riders we may be... we'll hope that the forecasts are wrong and it turns out to be much warmer for all you brave folks!
:2thumbs:

Safe & Fun Ride for all.....

Bill & Sandy

dancogan
09-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Geri and I are still in "go" mode, despite the temps. We have Gerbings heated clothing if needed, but I tend to ride year round and have the clothing for it. We'll probably do most of the trip north on smaller roads, keeping the speed and therefore the wind chill under control. Plus when it's cold there are more excuses for stops for coffee ... and pie! :2thumbs:

Littlebadwolf
10-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Leaving now for the tunnel of trees...Should be there around 5-6 depending on how much we goof off on the way up. See you folks there...Larry

NancysToy
10-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Wish we could be there with you guys. Too many obstacles. Nancy has homecoming activities (she is the senior class advisor), I'm trying desparately to get the house painted, I missed the last BMW club meeting and shouldn't miss this one, and my RTS is parked indefinitely, after serious difficulties on the Tennessee trip. Have some fun, and drink a mug of cider for Scotty. :D

mvengineer
10-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Wish we could be there with you guys. Too many obstacles. Nancy has homecoming activities (she is the senior class advisor), I'm trying desparately to get the house painted, I missed the last BMW club meeting and shouldn't miss this one, and my RTS is parked indefinitely, after serious difficulties on the Tennessee trip. Have some fun, and drink a mug of cider for Scotty. :D

We had a wonderful ride all day today. A wonderful group of riders. Did the tunnel of trees in fifty degree temp but no rain and it was beautiful. Crossed the Big Mac bridge and back which became the highlight of the ride. Funny and exhlirating feeling over those grates 300 feet above water. Hope your RT is taken care off very very soon.

dancogan
10-03-2010, 07:23 PM
We had a wonderful ride all day today. A wonderful group of riders. Did the tunnel of trees in fifty degree temp but no rain and it was beautiful. Crossed the Big Mac bridge and back which became the highlight of the ride. Funny and exhlarating feeling over those grates 300 feet above water. Hope your RT is taken care off very very soon.

Jason - it was great meeting you this weekend. The Tunnel of Trees and the ride up to the bridge were great. Somehow we really lucked out with the weather, with alternating clouds and sunlight. It was beautiful to see the fall colors and the beautiful scenery.

Dinner Friday night and lunch on Saturday were great, as well all had a chance to meet, talk and get to know each other better. I didn't take nearly enough pictures, but I'll try to post some in the next few days.

SpyderAnn01
10-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Sounds like you had a great time. I wish we could have gone. I rode the 2008 GS to Wisconsin on Friday it was a little chilly but not bad. Saturday was a little colder but I had a nice ride. We are back to being a 1 Spyder family again which gives us back some much needed space in the garage.

The weather looks great for this next week and I think we will head out on a day trip to see how the colors are a little further north.

Please post your pictures when you get a chance.

Rando
10-04-2010, 04:47 AM
A great group of people, great food and a great ryde! What more could you ask for?

P.S. After no issues with my steering since the first recall, my DPS started acting up on one leg of the trip on the way up, and ALL THE WAY HOME on the way back! It was a white knuckle ryde to say the least! I should have just pulled the relays/fuses on it. It's going in tomorrow for the new DPS. The dealership actually called me to let me know it was in on Thursday but we were all set to leave first thing Friday morning so I decided to wait. Murphy's Law!

mvengineer
10-04-2010, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=dancogan;253608]Jason - it was great meeting you this weekend. The Tunnel of Trees and the ride up to the bridge were great. Somehow we really lucked out with the weather, with alternating clouds and sunlight. It was beautiful to see the fall colors and the beautiful scenery.

Dan/ Same here, I really enjoyed meeting you and every one on this ride. I am already planning,in my mind, a weekend ride in my neck of the woods. Lake Huron shoreline, around the thumb, is very pretty and relativley close. I am thinking next spring unless you guys think, we can do a ride this year yet, I am open to input.

Rando
10-04-2010, 09:09 AM
I am thinking next spring unless you guys think, we can do a ride this year yet, I am open to input.Based on the very cold ride home, I'm thinking next spring would be a better idea!

mvengineer
10-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Randy
I agree, next spring will be a better time and hope everybody's DPS will be replaced too. Sorry to hear you had trouble going back.
Was telling my wife about Bonnie's courage crossing the Big Mac, espically on those grats that make you weave a little..... Good for her.

RLS
10-04-2010, 12:31 PM
I sounds like we all made it home ok. Joan and I really want to let everyone know how enjoyable it was being with you. We actually saw Randy and Bonnie at a rest stop on I-75 between Gaylord and US-127, but we were past it before we saw you. We had stopped in Gaylord for a coffee and to call my brothers before we got on 75. We met them in West Branch for lunch and then made it home around 4:30. :2excited:AND GUESS WHAT EVERYONE......I MADE IT ALL THE WAY HOME WITH NO "U" TURNS........HA.HA.:clap: Go figure!!!!!!!
I think spring sound like a good idea for the ride to your area Jason.

Littlebadwolf
10-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Hi all...Cindi & I got home around 6...It was absolutely beautiful on the way home...sunny..nice roads and spydie ran like a charm. I'm thoroughly impressed with the DPS replacement...an added bonus...first time I've driven the spydie with the 2nd performance package from SpyderPops. What a huge difference. I never ran over 3 bars on the heat scale the entire trip with the exception of stop and go traffic when it went up to 4. It's one of the best add-ons for the RS as far as I'm concerned. We had a terrific time...great people...great food and 800 miles of pleasure on the spydie.

dancogan
10-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Lots of credit to Bob (RLS) for putting this together. If the pictures upload OK, the first one is a view from our motel. Just beautiful, and you can see fall colors are clearly coming in.

Next is a stop on our way to the Tunnel of Trees at a "Cookie House" in Harbor Springs. Again, Bob found out about this place and everyone had a bag of cookies to enjoy later in the day. Then, it was through the Tunnel of Trees, which was gorgeous on a day with bright sun, crisp air and puffy clouds that never rained enough to dampen the roads.

At the end of the Tunnel riders are rewarded with the great Polish cuisine of Leggs Inn (now spelled Legs Inn), and we all enjoyed a great lunch in an interior that has lots of character.

Then it was on to Mackinac City and crossing the Mackinac Bridge. The bridge crossing is 7 miles long, including the approaches, and is 300 feet over the water. It's a rush to ride across, on 2 wheels or 3!

After a coffee stop in St. Ignace, and a quick group photo by the waterfront, we headed back to the motel. Geri and I chose to ride the Tunnel a second time, and thanks to light traffic we were really able to enjoy the curves and the handling of the Spyder.

Sunday we left early to be rested for work on Monday, but the early departure from Petoskey left us with great memories of beautiful scenery! Cold ... but beautiful.