PDA

View Full Version : Spyder License!

Eraser
08-21-2010, 05:34 PM
My province in Canada has decided that there is going to be a License specific to Spyder and all 3 wheel Motorcycles.I just got it yesterday.
We have a three stage Licence here for MCs.Stage 2 being the most important of the three because it is your Road Test and upon passing you have Full driving privelige.(Stage one is a compulsary safety course,passing this allows you to operate an MC with restrictions and Stage three requires you to have no alcohol offences for 15 months.)
You are now required to take your Road Test using the type of bike that you wish to qualify for.In order to have a full license in both 2 and 3 wheels you have to take 2 Road Tests.(@ 30.00 bucks a piece)
This was to be a simple FYI post,but when it comes to licensing here,nothing is simple.:gaah:
Anyhow,I am Licensed to drive a Spyder in my Province!!:thumbup:
Whoops,I missed the other thread in Touring,sorry 'bout that.

SpyderWolf
08-21-2010, 08:29 PM
:congrats:

That doesn't sound too far off from many of the states here. If the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can find a way to get more money from you they will. I just received the property tax bill for my Spyder, which has to be paid in order to renew my license plate. It is a little over $500. :yikes: I am going to ask them if a little over 12,000 miles in less than a year qualifies for a high mileage discount. It may not be much, but at these prices every little bit helps.

Raptor
08-21-2010, 10:02 PM
:congrats:

That doesn't sound too far off from many of the states here. If the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can find a way to get more money from you they will. I just received the property tax bill for my Spyder, which has to be paid in order to renew my license plate. It is a little over $500. :yikes: I am going to ask them if a little over 12,000 miles in less than a year qualifies for a high mileage discount. It may not be much, but at these prices every little bit helps.

You can count on the DMV to figure out a way to get into your wallet somehow. Dirty Government Thieves, man!

SPYDERGUY1
08-21-2010, 10:16 PM
THAT IS SO FREAKING WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Being from Alberta and planning a cross country tour and coming back through the states with spyder in tow, holding a class 1 and 6 license, legal to drive anything, should be very interesting or perhaps should get my wife practised on truck and trailor as I could get in trouble. WHAT A CROCK....

spyryder
08-21-2010, 10:31 PM
My province in Canada has decided that there is going to be a License specific to Spyder and all 3 wheel Motorcycles.I just got it yesterday.
We have a three stage Licence here for MCs.Stage 2 being the most important of the three because it is your Road Test and upon passing you have Full driving privelige.(Stage one is a compulsary safety course,passing this allows you to operate an MC with restrictions and Stage three requires you to have no alcohol offences for 15 months.)
You are now required to take your Road Test using the type of bike that you wish to qualify for.In order to have a full license in both 2 and 3 wheels you have to take 2 Road Tests.(@ 30.00 bucks a piece)
This was to be a simple FYI post,but when it comes to licensing here,nothing is simple.:gaah:
Anyhow,I am Licensed to drive a Spyder in my Province!!:thumbup:
Whoops,I missed the other thread in Touring,sorry 'bout that.

I'm pretty sure if you already have a 2 wheel motorcycle license, then you don't need to do a separate test for a trike. You could however, test on a trike and get a 3 wheel endorsement, but you wouldn't be qualified on a 2 wheeler.
Another big stumbling block here is you have to take the mandatory safety course on a 2 wheeled motorcycle....you can't use your Spyder for that!
Did you already have a motorcycle license? I haven't heard anything about this.:dontknow:

SpyderWolf
08-22-2010, 05:49 AM
THAT IS SO FREAKING WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Being from Alberta and planning a cross country tour and coming back through the states with spyder in tow, holding a class 1 and 6 license, legal to drive anything, should be very interesting or perhaps should get my wife practised on truck and trailor as I could get in trouble. WHAT A CROCK....

I don't know how they work things out between provinces for those of you in the great white north. There are supposed to be reciprocity laws here, which basically state if you are legal to drive the vehicle in the state you are from then you are legal in all states. I do have my motorcycle endorsement, even though we don't need one for the Spyder in South Carolina. My wife does not have hers, and does not want to go get it since it is not required, so she may end up being a guinea pig for this at some time.

Eraser
08-22-2010, 05:58 AM
I'm pretty sure if you already have a 2 wheel motorcycle license, then you don't need to do a separate test for a trike. You could however, test on a trike and get a 3 wheel endorsement, but you wouldn't be qualified on a 2 wheeler.
Another big stumbling block here is you have to take the mandatory safety course on a 2 wheeled motorcycle....you can't use your Spyder for that!
Did you already have a motorcycle license? I haven't heard anything about this.:dontknow:
They seem to be making this up as they move along.I spent about an hour on hold as they stumbled from office to office no doubt,trying to determine if there was a ruling to follow.This is all brand new to them and I expect it will change more than once.(Why would one take the Safety course on 2 if they will never drive on 2? No answer from them to that Question.)
No,I never had my full license in Manitoba.When I relocated from Ontario I had my MC license.At the time they gave me an operators' Stage 1 and that was all I ever needed until now.It will be interesting to see what they do.:popcorn:My Government in action!!;)