PDA

View Full Version : Left sided heat

AutumnCat
08-20-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm hoping for suggestions.

Earlier this ryding season I started noticing that my SE5 was putting off way too much heat - primarily on the left side where my leg rests on the panels.

On a day that was probably in the low to mid 80's we were stuck in stop & go traffic. I had to pull over & check my leg to see if I had blisters. That's what it felt like. No blisters - just red. But, the Spyder was too hot to keep a bare hand or a leg with jeans on it for too long.

Of course - with the heat we have had this summer...the problem continued to happen & I had to limit how long of a ryde we would take.

Fast forward - I finally contacted our dealer & he said he would take the panels off to see if the insulation was missing or not in place. I also suggested the Y gaskets.

Final word from them - y gaskets were fine & insulation was fine. So, they wrapped the left side exhaust with some sort of "mesh" (which, now has the potential for rusting if moisture sits in there). He also took off the wind deflectors that came with the BRP windshield we added.

Unfortunately - this didn't seem to make much difference.

So - has anyone had this issue? Have you had any luck correcting this issue?

:helpsmilie:

Frig
08-20-2010, 06:15 PM
I agree that the left side is hot but not quite as hot as you're describing. I also wrapped my pipes. Not much releif from that. I mentioned it to spyderpops but he thought it was something else. I would really like to get some serious air through there and out of there. Hey spyderpops how about some help with this one. Your stuff is great now all we need is the left side fixed.

wyliec
08-20-2010, 06:22 PM
If you are talking the 'Y' panel just ahead of the seat, I could barely keep my hand on it after I had ridden for awhile; my inner thighs used to get real hot. But, that problem went away when the 'Y' gaskets were replaced.

AutumnCat
08-20-2010, 07:29 PM
If you are talking the 'Y' panel just ahead of the seat, I could barely keep my hand on it after I had ridden for awhile; my inner thighs used to get real hot. But, that problem went away when the 'Y' gaskets were replaced.

So - were your gaskets bad and that was what was causing the heat?
Or did you replace Spyder gaskets that were essentially fine with a different type (I've seen mention of other "brands"...like for Honda) and that is what helped?

My dealer said my gaskets were ok when they checked them.
I was kind of hoping they would find something not right with the gaskets or insulation so we actually could pinpoint a reason for the heat.

Dudley
08-20-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm hoping for suggestions.

Earlier this ryding season I started noticing that my SE5 was putting off way too much heat - primarily on the left side where my leg rests on the panels.

On a day that was probably in the low to mid 80's we were stuck in stop & go traffic. I had to pull over & check my leg to see if I had blisters. That's what it felt like. No blisters - just red. But, the Spyder was too hot to keep a bare hand or a leg with jeans on it for too long.

Of course - with the heat we have had this summer...the problem continued to happen & I had to limit how long of a ryde we would take.

Fast forward - I finally contacted our dealer & he said he would take the panels off to see if the insulation was missing or not in place. I also suggested the Y gaskets.

Final word from them - y gaskets were fine & insulation was fine. So, they wrapped the left side exhaust with some sort of "mesh" (which, now has the potential for rusting if moisture sits in there). He also took off the wind deflectors that came with the BRP windshield we added.

Unfortunately - this didn't seem to make much difference.

So - has anyone had this issue? Have you had any luck correcting this issue?

:helpsmilie:

How many miles on the Spyder? On our trip last summer I had a dealer listen to our Spyder and he said the Y gaskets were fine. When I had them changed after getting home, even some of the mesh was gone!!! So, I would guess it's the Y gaskets. They are not that hard to change, just takes a bit of patience.

AutumnCat
08-20-2010, 08:10 PM
How many miles on the Spyder? On our trip last summer I had a dealer listen to our Spyder and he said the Y gaskets were fine. When I had them changed after getting home, even some of the mesh was gone!!! So, I would guess it's the Y gaskets. They are not that hard to change, just takes a bit of patience.

Only about 1800 miles on it. Not that much.
My hubby is going to try to look at it sometime soon (when he gets a little free time).

Dudley
08-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Only about 1800 miles on it. Not that much.
My hubby is going to try to look at it sometime soon (when he gets a little free time).

From historical posts, 1800 miles pretty much eliminates the Y gasket. Are you having any excessive exhaust noise from underneath the plastics? Maybe a leak at the exhaust pipe connection to the heads? Just throwing some thoughts. Read somewhere about welds developing stress cracks.

wyliec
08-20-2010, 08:23 PM
So - were your gaskets bad and that was what was causing the heat?
Or did you replace Spyder gaskets that were essentially fine with a different type (I've seen mention of other "brands"...like for Honda) and that is what helped?

My dealer said my gaskets were ok when they checked them.
I was kind of hoping they would find something not right with the gaskets or insulation so we actually could pinpoint a reason for the heat.

Yes, the right side was bad. The left was okay; but, the whole 'Y' panel would get hot. I now have the Honda gaskets. To be honest with you, thyat 'Y' panel got hot within a few months of buying the spyder (new). I don't think that you can go by an actual mileage and say it is okay b/c you don't have many miles.

SPYDERPOPS
08-20-2010, 09:27 PM
I do believe the "Y" gaskets suffer from setting up then being active again.

If the dealer doesn't let the engine cool before checking for exhaust flow they will appear to be fine. A small leak on the inner side could cause great heat and not be heard.

As for wrapping, to do this properly the pipes should be removed and wrapped from the head flange all the way to the "Y" connections on both sides. Anything less still keeps the heat inside of the body.

If the wrap should get wet be sure to let it run long enough to dry.

I will look at some other ideas to reduce the heat on that side.

Harvey

Arthur---Mexico
08-20-2010, 10:00 PM
To the person in Jacumba, CA.
Don't worriy about the mesh wrapped on your exhaust pipe rusting. Any moister that might wet the mesh will dry very fast because of the pipe's heat.

Arthur---Mexico
08-20-2010, 10:05 PM
To our friend in Jacumba, CA,
Don't concern yourself with worries about the mesh the shop wrapped your Spyders exhaust pipe with. Any moister that might wet the mesh would dry, but fast, because of the exhaust pipe's heat.

PCBeachBum
08-21-2010, 06:57 AM
I had the problem on the left side, that it got so hot I couldn't touch the panel with my knee or hold my gloved hand on it.

Changing out the Y gaskets with the Honda gaskets and put new plugs in. Removing the front plug it was burnt, while the rear plug looked new. Both plugs were changed and the excessive heat problem was gone.

The problem with the front plug is the airbox. The plug is hard to get to and before taking delivery, I suspect the front plug was not changed.

My Spyder was a demo before I bought it.