PDA

View Full Version : Spyderpops

Roy's Bassets
08-20-2010, 02:12 PM
OK, air-dam, belt guard, heat shield, and air system are all installed. I think these are by far the best mods I've but on my:spyder2:. Thank you, spyderpops, thank you.:ohyea::2thumbs:

JPV
08-20-2010, 03:24 PM
I just finish the installation of the #2 SPYDERPOPS package. It took about 2 hours, not very difficult if your at all handy, simple and straight forward installation. Now if Harvey would make a nice and simple air deflector, instead of that crap BRP sells with the Ultra touring windshield, then I think everything would be right in the world!!:thumbup:

wyliec
08-20-2010, 03:40 PM
I just finish the installation of the #2 SPYDERPOPS package. It took about 2 hours, not very difficult if your at all handy, simple and straight forward installation. Now if Harvey would make a nice and simple air deflector, instead of that crap BRP sells with the Ultra touring windshield, then I think everything would be right in the world!!:thumbup:

I got package #2 and thought I would start with the belt guard; the easiest I thought. I'm looking at the picture for the RS/GS and can't figure what 3 screws he first mentions; the picture is dark. Are they on the outer belt guard? If they are I see two and a third up front. Is that it?

SPYDERPOPS
08-20-2010, 04:22 PM
I got package #2 and thought I would start with the belt guard; the easiest I thought. I'm looking at the picture for the RS/GS and can't figure what 3 screws he first mentions; the picture is dark. Are they on the outer belt guard? If they are I see two and a third up front. Is that it?

The 3 screws I'm referring to are the ones on the fender bracket. You will have to remove the one up front also.
Thanks,
Harvey

wyliec
08-20-2010, 05:46 PM
The 3 screws I'm referring to are the ones on the fender bracket. You will have to remove the one up front also.
Thanks,
Harvey

Harvey,

Before I bag this project. Let me try one more time. In the picture, are the two screws at the bottom, which go from the outer belt guard into the fender bracket, two of the screws that are removed? I tried removing one; but, I am having a hard time getting to the nut.

JPV
08-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Harvey,

Before I bag this project. Let me try one more time. In the picture, are the two screw at the bottom, which go from the outer belt guard into the fender bracket, two of the screws that are removed? I tried removing one; but, I am having a hard time getting to the nut.

I used a 10mm socket,3''extension and a ratchet on the back inside nut,other wise it your going to have a hell of a fight.

SPYDERPOPS
08-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Yes all 3 screws have nuts behind them and the 2 you point out will have the nuts replaced by "U" nuts as you will not have access after you put it back together.
Thanks,
Harvey

wyliec
08-20-2010, 06:46 PM
I used a 10mm socket,3''extension and a ratchet on the back inside nut,other wise it your going to have a hell of a fight.

I just went down and looked at it again. You must be a contortionist to get your hand back there or did you remove (what I call) the top, outside belt guard? It looks like I might be able to reach the nut, if I remove the guard.

Thanks

bjt
08-20-2010, 07:07 PM
I just went down and looked at it again. You must be a contortionist to get your hand back there or did you remove (what I call) the top, outside belt guard? It looks like I might be able to reach the nut, if I remove the guard.

Thanks

I've had to work on those screws more times than I care to remember on mine and dltang's Spyders. They are hard to get to and I do most of it by feel as it's hard to see in there and work on them. That's one of the reasons why I went to the fenderless look and why I mention going fenderless to dltang every time we have to work on her fender brackets. I fit my hand in there between the belt and the belt guard and slip a box end wrench over the nut. Then you just have to hold the wrench on the nut while you turn out the screw. If the wrench turns a bit while initially turning the screw, it'll eventually contact the swing arm and stop turning.

SPYDERPOPS
08-20-2010, 07:55 PM
To reach the nuts I use a 1/4" breakover and a deep 10mm socket. It's then easy to feel inside and stays on the nut better. The first time I had my 7 year old, skinny grandson hold the nuts.
Harvey

wyliec
08-21-2010, 07:28 AM
After spending about 2 hrs. between last night and this morning and not making any progress, I went to the other side of the bike and lay on the floor with flashlight in hand. I then got my 1/4" drive 10mm socket and attached a 1/4" x 3/8" adapter, attached a 3/8" swivel and a 6" x 3/8" extension. While still on the opposite side of the bike I placed the assy. on the hardest nut to get to. I said a little prayer as I went to the belt side of the bike that the assy. was still in place and I removed the nut; went back to the opposite side of the bike and placed the assy. on the other nut with a little prayer. It took a total of 5 mins. to remove after wasting 2 hrs.

So, it looks like I won't be selling or giving away my package #2.

M2Wild
08-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Thank you Wyliec for the tip .... mine is going on this morning as soon as I finish this cup of coffee.:coffee:

Yazz
08-21-2010, 09:14 AM
This thread is great!

Going to try a bit of all the above and hopefully take less than two hours to put all of package number two in.:pray:

SpyderGirl
08-22-2010, 02:26 AM
Yeah, forget actually SEEING those bolts, by feel is the only way. They are tricky, but you can get them off and on.

Justin
08-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Just put a 10mm wrench on the back nut and hold it. Then use a torx to unscrew it.

bjt
08-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Just put a 10mm wrench on the back nut and hold it. Then use a torx to unscrew it.

You make it sound so simple.... :roflblack:

M2Wild
08-22-2010, 08:41 AM
To reach the nuts I use a 1/4" breakover and a deep 10mm socket. It's then easy to feel inside and stays on the nut better.
Using the 1/4" deep well 10mm socket is the trick.

It's not that bad ... I had both of them off in less than 5. Now Imma gonna use the original nylon nuts and put them back together with MBG in place ... that will take a little more fandangling.:2thumbs:

SpyderRider
08-22-2010, 09:04 AM
I just installed mine last night. The nuts were a bear to get and you have to use a 10mm socket on the front of the two while a 10mm box wrench for the rear. Biggest fight I had was the front facing torx screw and trying to get my torx tool in there to loosen and then re-tighten. :shocked: Good looking install and once done, could do a second time much quicker now that I know the PITA details! :thumbup:

M2Wild
08-22-2010, 11:34 AM
:yes:Yay ... I put all the pieces together after the MBG install using the original hardware including those two original nylon nuts. I just feel better that everything remains OEM. I thread the nut by helding it with two fingers and reaching in from the bottom and back side between the belt and the outside guard. Toughest part was to get the nut to seat in the deep well socket (blind) so I can tighten it.

wyliec
08-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Great job on quality/fitment/ design; I'd say 5/5. But, not so great on the instructions.

qasamm
08-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Agree, instruction are weak. It does not help that the parts are black and hard to photograph. The instructions should also be posted on the site so people know what they are getting into. A video or two wouldn't hurt.

Great products though!

Justin
08-22-2010, 02:27 PM

It was simple. Took about 5 minutes to install.

YPILOT
08-22-2010, 02:56 PM

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/canamaw.html

pjp623
08-22-2010, 03:14 PM
OK, got my kit Friday and started installing today. Everything is going great--even got the hidden nuts off no problem--only thing is, I can't figure out where the e-scoup goes. :dontknow:
What am I missing here????????

wyliec
08-22-2010, 04:10 PM
OK, got my kit Friday and started installing today. Everything is going great--even got the hidden nuts off no problem--only thing is, I can't figure out where the e-scoup goes. :dontknow:

Remove the bottom plate. Two bolts into center channel of spyder and one torx head at right front of bottom plate. Then, use the template on the top side of bottom plate. The instructions show where to place the template. Once installed, you can see the e-scoop when you look under. That is if I installed properly.

That bottom plate is below the radiator.

pjp623
08-23-2010, 07:19 AM
:thumbup: Thanks, that's kinda what I thought. Everything else went fine.
Can't wait to try it all out.

M2Wild
08-23-2010, 09:54 AM
I can't figure out where the e-scoup goes. :dontknow:
What e-scoop? What is that?

pjp623
08-23-2010, 02:41 PM
:D The e-scoop is part of the Air Management system.
I've been talking with Harvey and I think that I've got it figured out. I'll know better when I get home tonight. :pray:

Roger
08-23-2010, 03:27 PM
:D The e-scoop is part of the Air Management system.
I've been talking with Harvey and I think that I've got it figured out. I'll know better when I get home tonight. :pray:

Do i have to ride up their and help you?

pjp623
08-23-2010, 07:25 PM
:clap: I wish that you had sugested that sooner--it would be great to see you again--but I finally got everything done tonight and will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks again Harvey.
Roger, stay in touch! :chat:

M2Wild
08-24-2010, 10:01 AM
The e-scoop is part of the Air Management system.
Damn ... I was wondering why I got some rivits left. Thought those were extras. Went home last night and re-read the instruction and see what you were talking about. I think I am missing a piece.:gaah:

pjp623
08-24-2010, 11:59 AM
I ended up with one extra rivit from the kit but I also put in extras that I had just to be sure. If you have 5 then you haven't gone on to page 2 and put the e-scoop--small black rectangular scoop-- in. It's what the template on page 2 was for. It's not very difficult and goes on the floor section. Only 3 nuts to remove and that panel drops right out. Just don't forget which is the top of that piece and mark it before you rivit the scoop in place. If you don't have the scoop, I'm sure that Harvey will get it right to you, If you e-mail him he's very prompt about getting back to you.
Good luck. :thumbup:

SPYDERPOPS
08-24-2010, 03:11 PM
The now "Missing" E-Scoop is on it's way!

There is an extra rivet and washer in every set!

Harvey

SPYDERPOPS
08-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Agree, instruction are weak. It does not help that the parts are black and hard to photograph. The instructions should also be posted on the site so people know what they are getting into. A video or two wouldn't hurt.

Great products though!

Finally got a chance to work on the instructions and they are now on the website. www.spyderpops.com (http://www.spyderpops.com)

Fixed the picture clarity and added more information to make them a little clearer.

It's hard to describe something that you are so used to doing and never think just hard the first time was. I remember turning those screws and then scratching my head, then got the grandson to hold the nuts with his small hands.
Harvey

bjt
08-24-2010, 05:03 PM
It's hard to describe something that you are so used to doing and never think just hard the first time was...
Harvey

+1

pjp623
08-24-2010, 08:21 PM
:agree: with Harvey. After having done one now, it all seems so simple.

Roger
08-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Here are some pix at my attempt hope this helps?

Roger
08-24-2010, 08:45 PM
more pix

Roger
08-24-2010, 08:48 PM
still more

Roger
08-24-2010, 08:50 PM
hope it helps

pjp623
08-25-2010, 07:21 AM
:2thumbs: Great pictures Roger, I especially like the two of the "flying" floorboard. :joke: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

M2Wild
08-25-2010, 09:59 AM
:2thumbs: Great pictures Roger, I especially like the two of the "flying" floorboard. :joke: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
How does he do that?!? Toss it in the air and take the pic at the same time? :roflblack:

pjp623
08-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Could be, Roger is pretty amazing. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Roger
08-25-2010, 01:08 PM
I watch mind freak :roflblack::rollback: NO seriously i do hope they help although i did notice pop resized his pixs i did use the vice grips just to get an idea how it is suppose to be. Once i rubbed the activator on and held one end on with the vice grips then removed the red tape and applied it it will hold it's self then i did the rivets. oh by the way i had a hanger holding the parts up so i could take pix. That hanger comes in handy when i have to paint. Its still been raining here so i have not tested the air system or kewlmetal air intake or evo 02 modifier. OOps knock at the door more stuff to install!!

SPYDERPOPS
08-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Nice pictures Roger, I need to send all of my prototypes to you so you can shoot the pictures for the instructions.
Harvey
www.SPYDERPOPS.com (http://www.SPYDERPOPS.com)

SpyderCrazy
08-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Spyderpops,

You could paint your products that are going to be used in the instructional photos fluorescent green or orange or some other bright color to help your customers better understand the assembly procedures.

mtdoragary
08-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I don't know if all that stuff will help, but I just ordered it. I'm also going to add a fan to the oil cooler. The fan on my Excelsior Henderson's oil cooler dropped traffic temps nearly 100 degrees. Of course it was air/oil cooled, but hey! It's worth a try!
http://www'labradoodlepuppy.net/home.html
I've GOT to add my Spyder to that page!

pjp623
08-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Believe me, these mods really help and make a huge difference in ryde and comfort!:clap::clap::clap:

mtdoragary
09-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Thanks

Lie on your back with your head toward the front of the bike and your hand and a 10mm box wrench will slip right up there and grab the nuts easily. Took twenty minutes to do the install.

wyliec
09-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Lie on your back with your head toward the front of the bike and your hand and a 10mm box wrench will slip right up there and grab the nuts easily. Took twenty minutes to do the install.

Check out post #11. I did it a little differently.