PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

fastfraser
08-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi All

When should I change my brake pads ?? Does any one know the replacement part # or suitable replacement part #.:dontknow:

I have 21,000 miles on the bike now and the brakes work fine . I know on my car only change the pads 60-70 K.:dontknow:

Raptor
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi All

When should I change my brake pads ?? Does any one know the replacement part # or suitable replacement part #.:dontknow:

I have 21,000 miles on the bike now and the brakes work fine . I know on my car only change the pads 60-70 K.:dontknow:

Good question! I am not sure if the shop manual makes any reference to this or not. I plan to buy one but have not as of yet. Of course everyone will get different wear depending on how you ride. I know many automotive systems employ some kind of audible marker to let you know when it's time.

Then there are the more obvious markers, such as brake fade, loss of stopping power, strange noises when brakes are applied, chatter and so on. My foot has always let me know when it was time for my cars. You can just feel a chatter, and an over-all lack of confidence that you are getting the performance from the brakes that you require. I do not imagine the Spyder would be that different. Lamont, Scotty and some of the other guys will probably have better input on this, but that's the way I roll!

caser
08-19-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm replacing mind on fri.. Got 17k+ and my tech said they show some wear. He said I did'nt need to replace them right now but I'd rather be to early than to late.

Star Cruiser
08-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi All

I asked the tech at SnowCity about mine last month when I had my rear tire changed. He told me that I about 1/2 the pads still on there and they'd be good for a while. Like yours, I am not having any braking problems. I have 48,000 km on them now (30,000 miles). You are probably good for a little while yet, but next service ask the tech about how much wear you have left.

btw are you going to Spyders in the Smokies? I am thinking about leaving from Brampton on Sunday or Monday (Sept 19 or 20)

fastfraser
08-19-2010, 04:45 PM
btw are you going to Spyders in the Smokies? I am thinking about leaving from Brampton on Sunday or Monday (Sept 19 or 20)

:2thumbs: Be there for sure Leaving Fri. Sept 17 after the wife gets home. Be there until the 25th. Hook up with you down there.

NancysToy
08-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Brake pads should be inspected at every 3,000 mile (5,000 km) service. Minimum pad thickness is 1 mm (0.04"). There is no set interval to change them, because like tires, it depends on the rider, traffic conditions, etc. If you are close to 1 mm, and headed on a trip, I would probably change them. If you are not that close, I would skip it and continue to inspect at oil change time.

groundeffect
08-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Brake pads should be inspected at every 3,000 mile (5,000 km) service. Minimum pad thickness is 1 mm (0.04"). There is no set interval to change them, because like tires, it depends on the rider, traffic conditions, etc. If you are close to 1 mm, and headed on a trip, I would probably change them. If you are not that close, I would skip it and continue to inspect at oil change time.
:agree: You summed it up great, Scotty!

I have been wondering the same about my brake pads also. Just did an oil change and they are still ok and within spec according to the shop manual. I'll check again the next oil change.

Cheers,
Dean

Trickie Dick
08-19-2010, 07:36 PM
I just did my front brakes. The rear one looked ok for while. To answer part of your question:
Gen 3 part nos. for BRP brakes are
BR219800164-Front
BR219800165-Rear
Make sure you get Gen 3's. All my dealer had were Gen 2s'.
So I went with EBC pads:
FA474-Front
FA473-Rear.
Remember it takes 2 of the fronts, in either case.

pierrelogic
08-19-2010, 08:02 PM
I just did my front brakes. The rear one looked ok for while. To answer part of your question:
Gen 3 part nos. for BRP brakes are
BR219800164-Front
BR219800165-Rear
Make sure you get Gen 3's. All my dealer had were Gen 2s'.
So I went with EBC pads:
FA474-Front
FA473-Rear.
Remember it takes 2 of the fronts, in either case.

Yet another subscribed thread for future reference. :D

fastfraser
08-20-2010, 06:32 AM
Thanks all for your replys.