PDA

View Full Version : Removal of the trailer hitch

medic 1
08-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Has anyone removed the hitch from the RTS and how is it done? I have searched the forums and the video directory but came up with nada. I remember seeing a video with Lamonster removing one but can't find it now. Thanks for the help. Bill:helpsmilie:

Lamonster
08-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Pull the long bolt that goes through the axle and then slide it off.

Boyd2010RT
08-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Do you know if that bolt is replaced during installation of the hitch? - it seems that I remember that the paperwork that came with the hitch (installed by the dealer before delivery to me) showed a long bolt - if it did come with a replacement bolt, I didn't get the original bolt with delivery.

Lamonster
08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
The long bolt goes through the stock axle. It didn't replace another bolt.

NancysToy
08-19-2010, 05:25 PM
:agree: You only need to replace the cotter key each time.

medic 1
08-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks so much for the input. All set now I can trailer the RTS without dragging the mud flap.

NancysToy
08-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks so much for the input. All set now I can trailer the RTS without dragging the mud flap.
I left the mudflap off mine. My trailers don't need it, and it reminds me of a scraper blade on a tractor. If I want to grade my driveway, I'll put it on with blind fasteners and screws, instead of rivets. :roflblack:

stevedfive
05-05-2011, 09:04 AM
I removed the pin and nut but the bolt won't pull out, any suggestions? Also, if and after I remove the hitch, do put the axle covers back on?

Thanks

frank3
05-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Use a pair of channel lock plires to grip the left side and pull hard. Put the caps back on to protect the axle ends frm debris.

SteveMac
05-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Use a pair of channel lock plires to grip the left side and pull hard. Put the caps back on to protect the axle ends frm debris.

Yep, and turn back and forth slightly. That will help also.

SteveMac
05-05-2011, 09:18 AM
I left the mudflap off mine. My trailers don't need it, and it reminds me of a scraper blade on a tractor. If I want to grade my driveway, I'll put it on with blind fasteners and screws, instead of rivets. :roflblack:

DITTO That! :D

GadgetGuy442
05-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Once you pull the long bolt out, the hitch will be free to be pulled rearward and off the axle supports - but it will probably be hard to pull.

BE VERY CAREFUL of the cabling and wiring on the right side of the axle so the hitch frame doesn't hook any of the cables/wires as you pull rearward. If it suddenly pulls free and those cables/wires are in the way, you could hook them and damage them!!

:yikes:

Use some masking tape to pull them clear of the area and work the hitch off slowly and steadily.

Bill

Bob Denman
05-05-2011, 09:36 AM
I removed the pin and nut but the bolt won't pull out, any suggestions?
I'd say give it an application of the BFH, but I'm pretty sure that the muffler is in the way...:ohyea: :shocked:

NancysToy
05-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Wiggle the hitch as you remove the pin, it helps.

stevedfive
05-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks guys :2thumbs:

stevedfive
05-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Ok, I got the pin out with the first tug, it came out smoothly after that. However, the hitch won't move an inch. I tugged, I stood, I used a rubber mallet, nothing. Got any suggestions?

SteveMac
05-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Ok, I got the pin out with the first tug, it came out smoothly after that. However, the hitch won't move an inch. I tugged, I stood, I used a rubber a mallet, nothing. Got any suggestions?

The teflon strips inside the hitch brace that snug it to the swingarm, make for a TIGHT fit. Instead of a rubber mallet, if you have a lead filled dead blow hammer, that may help and try to have someone wiggle it up and down a bit as you use the dead blow. Alternatively, if you have a 2" wide tie down strap, you could set the parking brake, tie one end of the strap to a tree trunk or some other fixed object and begin ratcheting it off. A "come-a-long" will work also. HOWEVER as mentioned, be sure that the brake lines and cables on the right hand side are taped out of the way so you don't damage them.

Bob Denman
05-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Or... throw a strap around the ball and tie it off to something solid... put the bike in first gear and... :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::shocked:
Actually it's better that you try SteveMac's method! :thumbup:

SteveMac
05-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Or... throw a strap around the ball and tie it off to something solid... put the bike in first gear and... :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::shocked:
Actually it's better that you try SteveMac's method! :thumbup:

:roflblack: Imagine mistaking a tie down with one of those bungee jump straps and then hitting about 6500 rpms in first! You would have a two state rYde to recover your hitch after that slingshot…! :yikes:

stevedfive
05-06-2011, 10:14 AM
After two days of trying to get the hitch off :cus:, the CEO of the Household made a decision. :lecturef_smilie: She said just leave the darn thing on there.

Dragonrider
05-06-2011, 10:54 AM
I used an old bumper jack to get mine off - most overlook the "grease the sliders" when installing the hitch…

gypsie
05-06-2011, 11:22 AM

you mean the stock axle is hollow? to allow for the bolt for the hitch?????

Lamonster
05-06-2011, 11:41 AM
you mean the stock axle is hollow? to allow for the bolt for the hitch?????
Take a look at yours :doorag:

Bob Denman
05-06-2011, 11:55 AM
After two days of trying to get the hitch off :cus:, the CEO of the Household made a decision. :lecturef_smilie: She said just leave the darn thing on there.

Maybe the best course of action is the one that keeps the C.E.O the happiest... or at least less-miserable! :shocked:

Bungee jump straps??? :yikes::roflblack::yes::clap:

stevedfive
05-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Question: How tight do I tighten the bolt that holds the trailer hitch on? Does anyone have the trailer hitch installation instruction I could get a copy from?
:dontknow:
Thanks

GadgetGuy442
05-12-2011, 08:43 PM
I'd sure love to see the installation instructions for the hitch too, if any has it!

Bill

spyryder
05-12-2011, 10:02 PM
I'd sure love to see the installation instructions for the hitch too, if any has it!

Bill
Type these words in a Google search: "spyder rt hitch installation" :pray:

SteveMac
05-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Question: How tight do I tighten the bolt that holds the trailer hitch on? Does anyone have the trailer hitch installation instruction I could get a copy from?
:dontknow:
Thanks

StevedFive
I think I have the BRP installation instructions if you don't find them on Google. PM me your email and I will scan and email them to you this weekend in an Adobe PDF file.

GadgetGuy442
05-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Spyryder,

Thanks for the google tip. I've seen that video before, it's a great piece of reference to watch. I really just want to have the instruction document for my records, to keep with other mod documentation I have.

I'll PM Stevedfive and plead for a PDF file!

Bill