PDA

View Full Version : Deer motorcycle accidents.

mxz600
08-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Here is a link for an article about animal motorcycle safety. A lot of you will find this boring and uninformative. But if just one person gets anything from this that will save him/her from serious injury or death then it is worth a read.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/preventing_fatal_deer_accidents/index.html

Yazz
08-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Excellent article. :2thumbs:

Now I know how to deal with skunks.

SpyderSteve
08-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Great post thanks :2thumbs:

musicarcade
08-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Great post thanks :2thumbs:
:agree:
Read it and learned a few things!:thumbup:
..Now if only the deer will read it...;)

Smylinacha
08-19-2010, 12:04 PM
That was real good - thank you!

Just about every night when I go down the driveway coming home from work there is always one deer there. The deer leaves and goes off into the woods but I stay stopped because more usually follow. Never knew that about them coming out of the woods to avoid mosquitoes. Very good article.

Here is a link for an article about animal motorcycle safety. A lot of you will find this boring and uninformative. But if just one person gets anything from this that will save him/her from serious injury or death then it is worth a read.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/preventing_fatal_deer_accidents/index.html

DynamoBT
08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Great information for whether in a car, truck or riding a motorcycle. I didn't know about high speed hits on moose causing fewer fatalities. Very interesting reading.

Raptor
08-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Very interesting article. I definitely learned something from that. Many thanks! :thumbup:

I know here in CA the Highway Patrol was experimenting with putting a device on their cars that was supposed to scare animals away from the vehicle. I believe it produced some kind of high-pitched sound that the animal doesn't like. I do not know what the outcome of the experimant was, but I do believe thwey were having some measure of success with it.

It was a small, simple device that mounted to the front bumper of the car. I'm going to see if I can find out more and report back...

Lifeisadaydream
08-19-2010, 03:56 PM
The experience I have had with whistles are with 18 wheels vs 3. I have hit 3 deer, once with them and twice without. The difference seems to be more bird strikes with them. Maybe the high pitch sounds attract scavengers seeking wounded small animals. Or my red truck scares the birds more. :roflblack:

grumpybob
08-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Great post!

Here in Central NY I transported horses for 15 yrs. I found those deer whistles that people put on their front bumper scared horses in a trailer when they were passing me, and about even with my truck, more than they seemed to work on deer.

Some Guy
08-20-2010, 08:08 AM
The experience I have had with whistles are with 18 wheels vs 3. I have hit 3 deer, once with them and twice without. The difference seems to be more bird strikes with them. Maybe the high pitch sounds attract scavengers seeking wounded small animals. Or my red truck scares the birds more. :roflblack:

I had never hit a bird with a vehicle until I installed them on my truck. After hitting 5 birds in a month, I took them off. nojoke