PDA

View Full Version : Seat Rain Cover

NancysToy
08-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Stitched or dished seats on motorcycles tend to gather water, then leak through the stiches or seams into the foam. The retained water feeds back and soaks your backside for some time after the rain has stopped, often for days. One can obtain a seat rain cover if a custom seat is purchased, but for those with a stock seat (or the BRP Comfort Seat for the RS), there are few alternatives. We decided to make our own seat rain covers.

You will need about a yard of 55"-58" wide urethane or silicone coated, waterproof pack cloth, and about ten feet of round elastic cord. We were able to find a remnant of about 4' of 58" urethane coated, light nylon material. We were able to get two covers out of this, a wider one for the RT, and a slightly narrower one for Nancy's RS. I would not recommend trying this, as we were very tight on material, and the covers are very exacting to install as a result. More material will allow easier installation.

We placed the material on the seats, and marked the edges of the seat on it, all around, pushing it into the seat as we went, so it would not be too tight. This is easier with two people (and maybe a sandbag or two :D). You will need at least an inch of additional material outside your marks, for the seams. Two inches would give some slack, and make installation easier. Bigger is better...measure twice, cut once! You will end up with a long oval, or rounded rectangle, of material when cut to size. Fold over about 3/4"-1" of material all around, and sew about a 1/2"-3/4" inch hem. Don't get too near the edge. The edge of the coated material does not have to be heat sealed to prevent fraying, as regular nylon would. Leave a couple of inches of the hem open on one end, to insert the elastic cord. Fit to the seat and gather to fit, then tie and trim the cord. I recommend using packaging tape or heat shrink on the cord ends, to prevent fraying, and to help keep the knot from pulling out. I taped the ends to the rest of the cord, after I tied a square knot.

The seat covers fold/rolls up small, and take up little trunk room. They fit snugly, but form to the seat when we are sitting on them, and keep rain from soaking into the seat. You can also fit the regular Spyder cover over the Spyder, without removing the rain cover, so the Spyder is ready to go when you are. For light rain, the cover keeps the seat dry, and can be used as the only cover if you ride after the rain passes. Just remove the cover and sit on a nice, dry seat.

Here is the back of the cover, showing the coating, seam, and gathered edge.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=697&pictureid=11582

Close-up of the hem.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=697&pictureid=11583

Install the cover by hooking it over the back of the seat first, then raising the seat and stretching it over the edges, hooking the elastic cord of the hem inside, under the seat edge.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=697&pictureid=11584

The seat rain cover installed and ready to go.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=697&pictureid=11585

burg650
08-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Nice work, you may have a little side business on your hands. Corbin but a layer of plastic over there foam before putting the cover, how I know this well I had to have mine removed and I saw it they also do the same for the back rest on the smuggler trunk.

NancysToy
08-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Nice work, you may have a little side business on your hands. Corbin but a layer of plastic over there foam before putting the cover, how I know this well I had to have mine removed and I saw it they also do the same for the back rest on the smuggler trunk.
Some seat maunufacturers do this, and it certainly helps. The foam attached to the upholstery material for the seat sculpting, will still absorb water through the stitches, however. Leather seats can have waterproofing materials applied to the stitches or the entire seat, and they help too, but these materials leave marks on vinyl seats, and may make either type of seat too slippery.

No side business for me...I am retired! :D

Rando
08-16-2010, 06:22 PM
The retained water feeds back and soaks your backside for some time after the rain has stopped, often for days. Or get a Kontour (http://www.kontourseat.com/) seat. Problem solved! :D

"Even during rainy days you are suspended above liquid water and remain dry and cool."

gpthree
08-17-2010, 11:35 AM
I was just wondering how I would go about making something like this. I just got a heated Corbin seat and have heard about how water could soak into it. I dont have a cover for the bike yet and it stays outside.

NancysToy
08-17-2010, 11:42 AM
I was just wondering how I would go about making something like this. I just got a heated Corbin seat and have heard about how water could soak into it. I dont have a cover for the bike yet and it stays outside.
You can probably buy a rain cover to fit from Corbin.

SpyderWolf
08-17-2010, 07:45 PM
:2thumbs:

Great idea Scotty! Thanks for sharing that with us.

jvicker
08-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Simple, compact and too cool :thumbup:

Great job Scotty. Thanks for sharing.

dryheat
08-18-2010, 11:38 PM
I picked up a "Cool-Ass" cover. (get the XL for a custom seat, stock works with a L) Works great, dry and cool... plus you get a "Cool-Ass" coozie to keep your frosty beverage cool, too. A number of Spyderlovers have them, and there are some pics on the site. I rate it two:2thumbs:
http://genuinecoolass.com/index.htm

jwmcclellan
02-23-2013, 07:44 PM
I have checked into getting the CoolAss seat cover, but found out it is a cover for when the bike is parked. It was recommended that I not ride the bike using the cover in place due to it being slippery. I am looking for a waterproof seat cover that works when I'm riding the bike.

SpyRyd
02-24-2013, 07:06 AM
I have checked into getting the CoolAss seat cover, but found out it is a cover for when the bike is parked. It was recommended that I not ride the bike using the cover in place due to it being slippery. I am looking for a waterproof seat cover that works when I'm riding the bike.

Check the Ultimate seat site. They make/sell a waterproof cover for their seats that I suspect would fit the OEM seat as well.

Bob Denman
02-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks for that info! :thumbup:

Bike-O-Din
02-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Yep. That's what I did. I figured that the Ultimate Seat was the same shape and nearly the same size as the stock, so I ordered the cover. It is made from the same material as the Frogg Togg rain suits that we have, and fits great on the bike. It can be used while riding, and/or when parked to keep the sun off the seat. Quick on/off and folds up to a tiny packet when not in use.

Enjoy.

JkRbbt
02-24-2013, 12:40 PM
After fighting with a "custom rain cover" on my last seat, I gave up and put a heavy duty garbage bag over the seat for the night. Worked great! Does that make me cheap or inventive!?!? :dontknow:

SpyRyd
02-24-2013, 05:26 PM
After fighting with a "custom rain cover" on my last seat, I gave up and put a heavy duty garbage bag over the seat for the night. Worked great! Does that make me cheap or inventive!?!? :dontknow:

Both.:joke:

LindaG
02-25-2013, 05:18 PM
I made one for the RSS and the RT today. Turned out great, thanks for the tip.:clap: 6279762798

Chupaca
02-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks Scotty, when I get a seat will make sure to have one on hand..:2thumbs:

quickster47
06-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Brian, I like your seat cover and just ordered one for my RT. Looks like it will be a good fit.

Carl

murphybrown
06-10-2013, 04:51 AM
Brian, I like your seat cover and just ordered one for my RT. Looks like it will be a good fit.

Carl

Carl. Let me know if it does fit your RT..what seat do you have? Thanks
Ryde Ryde Ryde
Karyl

Bob Ledford
06-10-2013, 10:59 AM
You can probably buy a rain cover to fit from Corbin.

Last Corbin rain cover estimate was almost $200 and 90 days to order from the Ormond outlet.

55 gallon trash bags work just as good raise the seat and slide it on throw away when done

Sarge707
06-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Last Corbin rain cover estimate was almost $200 and 90 days to order from the Ormond outlet.

55 gallon trash bags work just as good raise the seat and slide it on throw away when done

:agree: Bring 2 bags -One for the seat and cut arm and head holes in the other and wear it as a 3/4 length rain suit!!:yes:

Bob Ledford
06-10-2013, 07:02 PM
:agree: Bring 2 bags -One for the seat and cut arm and head holes in the other and wear it as a 3/4 length rain suit!!:yes:

Don't laugh I have done that during my time in the Army it works good as a poncho or a poor soldiers rain jacket. Lessens the soaking wet chills when it turns cool. Why is it when your soaked and the water runs out of your boots ... You get a move out order or the breeze kicks in and :gaah:you freeze due to evaporation? :duh:

jaherbst
08-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Or get a Kontour (http://www.kontourseat.com/) seat. Problem solved! :D

"Even during rainy days you are suspended above liquid water and remain dry and cool."

Kontour does not have a very good reputation in these parts. Hope your transaction went well.

Jack

jaherbst
08-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Always carry a small half cover for times like this. One minute on, one minute off. Packs about 4 inches X 7 inches. The ones off of any cruiser M/C will fit. About $25-$35.

Jack

Bob Ledford
02-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Using the trash bags requires that you carry them with you. Naturally! My spouse hit on a good idea. She folded the two bags we decided on carrying. She found two heat escape openings under the seat and placed a bag over each one. It helped knock a few degrees
off the seat bottom. Every degree helps in the FL summer time.

Scoot2Mtns
02-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Any suggestions on where to get the water proof material?

Spyder 42
02-28-2015, 02:51 PM
Any suggestions on where to get the water proof material?

Seattle Fabrics carries sil coated nylon.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html

JayBros
03-22-2015, 02:46 PM
I bought a Cool Ass cover for my RT-S specifically as a rain cover for my trip to Spyderfest. No sense of slipping around for me. Brian's photography is better than mine.

Orange Spyder Man
03-22-2015, 03:31 PM
try spraying the seams on the seat with --- scotchguard...

Lakerat
04-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Any chance that we might see your product at Spyderfest??
Lots of cool folks that might be interested!!

Zenagirl
05-31-2015, 07:09 PM
I Can NOT believe that after all these years of pouring over the tips and tidbits and info on Spyderlovers, that I have never seen anyone comment about wet seats. Just by chance I happened to find these posts and FINALLY I am getting a seat cover to protect my seat from getting sopping wet when it rains. I swear, when I get caught in the rain and get off for a moment and get back on, it feels like I sat down in a child's wading pool!!! I've never understood why my stock seat on my ST-L was not water proofed! I've tried different water proofing products and nothing has worked. Finally started using large black garbage bags and bungie cords to keep them secure to keep my seat dry. I jokingly told my son I needed to make a large "shower cap" for my seat. Thank you for these posts! I've just order the seat cover from the CoolAss folks!!! YAY!!!!

Rishathra
12-30-2019, 01:37 AM

I bought a CoolAss cover right after I bought my 2016 RT in early 2018. It did indeed keep my seat cool, and I live in South West Florida. I've even used it while raining to keep the seat dry, and didn't feel like it was slippery at all. But I do sort of think that contributed to the quick deterioration of it, as it was unusable after about 18 months. But I do think that was my fault, not theirs.

To sum up, it works well keeping your seat cool and dry as advertised.

And to the OP, thank you for the idea. I sewed a sun cover for my old 750 Virago many years ago, and was thinking about going the elastic route this time like you did. Good job.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-30-2019, 12:28 PM
I Can NOT believe that after all these years of pouring over the tips and tidbits and info on Spyderlovers, that I have never seen anyone comment about wet seats. Just by chance I happened to find these posts and FINALLY I am getting a seat cover to protect my seat from getting sopping wet when it rains. I swear, when I get caught in the rain and get off for a moment and get back on, it feels like I sat down in a child's wading pool!!! I've never understood why my stock seat on my ST-L was not water proofed! I've tried different water proofing products and nothing has worked. Finally started using large black garbage bags and bungie cords to keep them secure to keep my seat dry. I jokingly told my son I needed to make a large "shower cap" for my seat. Thank you for these posts! I've just order the seat cover from the CoolAss folks!!! YAY!!!!

Actually the seat material is waterproof.... It's the SEAMS that leak badly, allowing the foam to saturate with water and then get pushed out from compressing the foam.... I have found when wearing good Rain Gear, the water will pool in the crotch area and over-flow into the seams …. Mike :ohyea:

JayBros
12-30-2019, 03:37 PM
I find it hard to believe it took so long for BRP to produce an RT seat rain cover, PN 219400722. My bride gave me one as a b'day gift last year and it works great. The F3 driver seat rain cover is PN 219400648, and the F3 pax seat rain cover is PN 219400649.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-30-2019, 03:48 PM
I find it hard to believe it took so long for BRP to produce an RT seat rain cover, PN 219400722. My bride gave me one as a b'day gift last year and it works great. The F3 driver seat rain cover is PN 219400648, and the F3 pax seat rain cover is PN 219400649.

Thanks for the info …. however I checked cheapcycleparts.com …. and they list all the RT models and years the cover will fit …. but they don't say how much or show any pics on a Fiche' …. So how much was yours, did you get it from a vendor or from a dealer, … does it fit well, keep the seat dry, and can you use it while riding. …. any help you can give will be appreciated ….. Happy New Year …. Mike :ohyea:

JayBros
12-30-2019, 06:03 PM
Mike, had a date mixed up; my wife gave me the RT seat rain cover for Christmas 2017 and purchased it from my local dealership that has since been sold and closed (a real pain because they had an excellent service dept and very savvy techs), and paid $99.99. You can see a picture at this link: https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/spyder-accessories/covers.html. Scroll all the way down the left column and you'll find it just above the Freedom Trailer cover. The cover fits both OEM and Comfort Seats and has an integral waterproof zip out cover for the driver backrest. It is a snugly fitting cover that is easy to put on, I fit it from front to back because of the "ears" on the front of the driver seat and the hardest part is getting it fully around the very back of the seat, and it has heavy duty shock elastic cord all the way around the perimeter. I have used the cover in the various situations we experience riding, from putting it on simply to keep the seat covered overnight on tour to having to stop on the road and install it before riding into a rain storm as well as putting it on before a day's ride because I knew it was going to rain before I arrived at my destination. When riding on it I do not slip around at all on the seat. Matter of fact on a long tour day's ride it might be nice if one could slide just a bit on it but it is very waterproof and I wouldn't want anything to risk compromising its waterproofing.

As an aside, when I was looking at the rain cover or driver backrest, that my great bride gave me for my birthday in 2018, I don't remember which, I called Cheap Cycle Parts and was told that there are some Spyder parts that BRP does not allow them to sell.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year!

Purple Guy
12-31-2019, 10:06 AM
Mike, had a date mixed up; my wife gave me the RT seat rain cover for Christmas 2017 and purchased it from my local dealership that has since been sold and closed (a real pain because they had an excellent service dept and very savvy techs), and paid $99.99. You can see a picture at this link: https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/spyder-accessories/covers.html. Scroll all the way down the left column and you'll find it just above the Freedom Trailer cover. The cover fits both OEM and Comfort Seats and has an integral waterproof zip out cover for the driver backrest. It is a snugly fitting cover that is easy to put on, I fit it from front to back because of the "ears" on the front of the driver seat and the hardest part is getting it fully around the very back of the seat, and it has heavy duty shock elastic cord all the way around the perimeter. I have used the cover in the various situations we experience riding, from putting it on simply to keep the seat covered overnight on tour to having to stop on the road and install it before riding into a rain storm as well as putting it on before a day's ride because I knew it was going to rain before I arrived at my destination. When riding on it I do not slip around at all on the seat. Matter of fact on a long tour day's ride it might be nice if one could slide just a bit on it but it is very waterproof and I wouldn't want anything to risk compromising its waterproofing.

As an aside, when I was looking at the rain cover or driver backrest, that my great bride gave me for my birthday in 2018, I don't remember which, I called Cheap Cycle Parts and was told that there are some Spyder parts that BRP does not allow them to sell.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year!

Having an Ultimate Seat I purchased their rain cover (x2). Though it was a good fit & did the trick they weren't very durable (having to buy a second one).
Didn't know BRP had a cover until last year. Though a little pricey, $118 CAN it is worth every cent! Really well crafted & high quality!
Works great for all the obvious applications I also use it when washing the bike...