PDA

View Full Version : Navigon on sale for $40 bucks

Lamonster
08-15-2010, 08:34 AM
My buddy has been using this app for a while and he says it's the best GPS app out there for the iphone. I couldn't bring myself to buy it at $80 bucks but you can get the North America that includes Canada for $40 bucks right now. It has text to speech, will run in landscape mode and will use Google to look up locations. So far I really like it. Just saying :doorag:

http://www.navigon.com/media/18985.jpg?lm=1271073834000 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/navigon-mobilenavigator-north/id321506742?mt=8)

tatt2r
08-15-2010, 08:42 AM
there is like 10 of them which one is that:helpsmilie:

tatt2r
08-15-2010, 08:47 AM
never mind i got it ...:doorag::bowdown:

Lamonster
08-15-2010, 08:48 AM
http://itunes.apple.com/app/navigon-mobilenavigator-north/id321506742?mt=8

Lamonster
08-15-2010, 08:51 AM
never mind i got it ...:doorag::bowdown:
It's a big app and takes a long time to download. All the maps are on the phone and the maps are updated for free.

Lamonster
08-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Forgot to add this
Live Weather information (at destination and on route)

tatt2r
08-15-2010, 08:58 AM
did you get iphone4 ?

Lamonster
08-15-2010, 09:02 AM
did you get iphone4 ?
What do you think :D

nudle
08-15-2010, 09:13 AM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

phillipbj
08-15-2010, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=Lamonster;238412]My buddy has been using this app for a while and he says it's the best GPS app out there for the iphone. I couldn't bring myself to buy it at $80 bucks but you can get the North America that includes Canada for $40 bucks right now. It has text to speech, will run in landscape mode and will use Google to look up locations. So far I really like it. Just saying :doorag:

Do you use it on your bike?
My iPhone connects to my helmet by bluetooth and I can answer and make calls handsfree. Would the app supply voice info over Bluetooth. Seems like I should be able to answer that myself but was wondering...

Lamonster
08-15-2010, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=Lamonster;238412]My buddy has been using this app for a while and he says it's the best GPS app out there for the iphone. I couldn't bring myself to buy it at $80 bucks but you can get the North America that includes Canada for $40 bucks right now. It has text to speech, will run in landscape mode and will use Google to look up locations. So far I really like it. Just saying :doorag:

My iPhone connects to my helmet by bluetooth and I can answer and make calls handsfree. Would the app supply voice info over Bluetooth. Seems like I should be able to answer that myself but was wondering...
I just got it yesterday and haven't tried that but my buddy says it will.

phillipbj
08-15-2010, 09:54 AM
[quote=phillipbj;238432]
I just got it yesterday and haven't tried that but my buddy says it will.

I will give it a try. My old Tom Tom works fine but does not have bluetooth. Like I said, it is old and when new it cost a lot more than $40.
I will probably need it to find your house....

altonk
08-15-2010, 11:36 AM
I've been using the tom tom app but will give it a try

qasamm
08-15-2010, 12:19 PM
$25 for US and $40 for is an Canada. Great deals!

WackyDan
08-15-2010, 05:53 PM
anDROID navigation is free......just sayin'......:D

Uhm... Yeah... Except when you are in the boondocks and not in a supported google area for GPS...Still... Works most places... and I have the dedicated GPS for backup.

I would gladly pay Garmin $$$$ for a dedicated Droid GPS app.

Roaddog2
08-15-2010, 08:24 PM
anDROID navigation is free......just sayin'......:DI like the old map app in the tour pack just sayin.....:D

dltang
08-15-2010, 08:30 PM

Phillipbj, do you have a bluetooth helmet or do you use something to get bluetooth in your helmet. I use my iphone when riding and have a GPS app that I really like and I too am able to make calls, answer calls, listen to tunes and still get voice directions from the GPS, but I have earbuds running from my helmet to my iphone. Wondering if there are some inexpensive alternatives.

SethO
08-15-2010, 09:38 PM
just bought it, hopefully it will be the first map program that I have got that is better than a regular map. Drives me nuts people just follow tom toms and have no damn idea where they are.

SethO
08-15-2010, 11:52 PM
well from where I work to where I live it tells you to go east on 15th st instead of west and puts you in the wrong spot, it has all the things I would want in a gps tom tom thing but the one thing it is lacking is real directions.

PixieRage
08-16-2010, 12:15 AM
I use MotionX GPS Drive. It works really well, traffic updates etc. and I can play my music while still getting GPs directions (pauses the IPOD and then starts it again when the voice over is done.) If I remember right, it's cheaper as well. Anyway, my .02, been pretty happy with it.

tatt2r
08-16-2010, 09:47 AM
i downloaded it and tried it on way home ...
works better than nav in dees cady

Firefly
08-16-2010, 12:05 PM
On my Sturgis trip the 'other' leader had a droid for GPS use and it SUCKED. For one thing it cannot work unless you have a cell signal.

If the iphone requires a cell signal then it would make for a terrible GPS--- I barely had signal most of my trip--- where the Verizon guys did.

I'm beyond fed up with AT&T as the service for my iphone. I don't know how they can legally even cell these devices to be used for making actual phone calls....

Other problem I see with a phone app is trying to press buttons during riding---

For $40 I guess it's not that much of a risk-- but I wouldn't think of it as your main GPS for a bike----

Go with the Garmin Zumo--- never led us astray.:thumbup:

phillipbj
08-16-2010, 01:09 PM
[quote=phillipbj;238432]

Phillipbj, do you have a bluetooth helmet or do you use something to get bluetooth in your helmet. I use my iphone when riding and have a GPS app that I really like and I too am able to make calls, answer calls, listen to tunes and still get voice directions from the GPS, but I have earbuds running from my helmet to my iphone. Wondering if there are some inexpensive alternatives.

I have a Nolan N103 helmet and the Nolan ncom Bluetooth kit. It fits into a dedicated recess in the helmet perfectly. It paired with my iPhone, no problem.
Expense is subjective, but I have about $550 in mine, which is dang expensive to me. But it has worked great so far.
One thing, I do not use my phone for tunes. I have an iPod connected by cable to my helmet. It is a iPod shuffle and I clip it onto my shirt or put it into my pocket. Music stops when I get a call. I hope the same thing happens when I get voice from the Navigon app. I haven’t checked that yet. Been raining in south GA.. Yea!

pzim
08-16-2010, 05:11 PM
I can only find the $59.99 app, Which one is the one on sale, the link uptop takes me to the higher priced one

Lamonster
08-16-2010, 05:14 PM
I can only find the $59.99 app, Which one is the one on sale, the link uptop takes me to the higher priced one
Looks like the raised the price, it was $40 bucks :dontknow:

pzim
08-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the reply at least I know I'm not going crazy! :gaah:

qasamm
08-16-2010, 06:49 PM
The sale ended on the 16th.

phillipbj
08-16-2010, 07:13 PM
The sale ended on the 16th.

I’m normally not lucky, but I got mine yesterday. Thanks to Lamonster for the tip, timely I might add...

kentompkins
08-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Has anyone tested the Navigon app with the Iphone and G4 Bluetooth? For example, does the Iphone ipod go into the background when Navigon speaks?

I'd eliminate my Garmin if the Iphone+Navigon+G4 would provide the same capabilities. With my Iphone in a cradle attached to my RAM mount, I could make calls (I know I can make calls via the Garmin but there is a problem getting stereo sound through the GPS)

ken tompkins

Sopher
08-31-2010, 06:29 AM
Family and I were just in New York on vacation. Yea we took the car. Had too. My daughter's American Girl does'nt like motorcycles!
Anyway, I downloaded the Navigon for $29.99 but it took 6 hours over ethernet froma hotel room into Itunes. 1.47gb large.
worth the wait, but i didnt plan ahead.