PDA

View Full Version : reggystan question

wyliec
08-14-2010, 09:04 AM
I take it that your trunk release could be connected to operate with the key off and the button hidden (of course)? I'm interested in the trunk release; but, for the purpose of opening the trunk, if I accidentally lock the key in the trunk.

COOLMACHINE
08-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me.

Neez
08-14-2010, 11:08 AM
If you just want an emergency trunk opener, you can use a cable release. This is a common mod, do a search of Spyder shop talk and you will find lots of examples. I use a choke cable on mine.

wyliec
08-14-2010, 11:13 AM
If you just want an emergency trunk opener, you can use a cable release. This is a common mod, do a search of Spyder shop talk and you will find lots of examples. I use a choke cable on mine.

I have tried it. In fact I used Scotty's setup and couldn't get it to work continuously; the cable end with the whatchamacallit crimped on would pop out of the bracket.

NancysToy
08-14-2010, 12:51 PM
I have tried it. In fact I used Scotty's setup and couldn't get it to work continuously; the cable end with the whatchamacallit crimped on would pop out of the bracket.
Pinch the bracket down a little, or use a blob of RTV silicone. I used a cable sheath to limit cable movement, and that helps keep it in place, too, but I think I pinched down the slot a bit, too, or put the emergency release under the BRP cable. Never had a problem since.

wyliec
08-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Pinch the bracket down a little, or use a blob of RTV silicone. I used a cable sheath to limit cable movement, and that helps keep it in place, too, but I think I pinched down the slot a bit, too, or put the emergency release under the BRP cable. Never had a problem since.

Scotty.

The piece crimped on to the end of the field supplied cable, did you install two?; one on either side of the bracket

NancysToy
08-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Scotty.

The piece crimped on to the end of the field supplied cable, did you install two?; one on either side of the bracket
I honestly couldn't remember, and had to look in my album. I put the cable outside the original, with one cable stop, and crimped the bracket to hold the cable.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=195&pictureid=1696

Neez
08-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Wyliec, I'm sure if you follow Scotty's instructions, you will have good success. However, I have included a couple of photos of the choke cable method, as an alternative. The thing I like about the choke cable is that it comes with its own sheath. You can fasten the sheath securely without affecting the actuating wire. Also, the choke cable kit comes with an adjustable stop that is easily moved about. You can, as Scotty suggests, squeeze the top of the slot such that the actuating wire slides freely, yet can't escape.

wyliec
08-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks to both of you. I'll give it one more try tomorrow.