PDA

View Full Version : Hit a deer tonight.

mxz600
08-13-2010, 12:07 AM
I don't ride much at night because of poor visibility and my wife doesn't like me out at night because of the many deer around here. But today I had to work at my daughters outgoing appartment patching walls so she doesn't lose her deposit. Needless to say it took me a bit longer than I thought it would. So I'm riding home at a safe speed between 45 to 50 MPH and right around 11:15 it happened. Out of the bushes a deer ran right in front of me . It happened so fast I never applied the brake. I saw a flash of the deer, heard a big thud and my steering jerked to the right. I called the police to take care of the deer as the impact didn't kill it. It was unable to get up because of a broken leg and other injuries. I am not sure of the extent of damage to the Spyder, in the dark it looks OK other than the right mirror being broken. I will give it a good going over in the morning. Right now I am tired and I'm going to bed. I should have stayed in North Carolina a little longer and this wouldn't have happened.

SpyderSteve
08-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Your ok, that's the important thing the spyder can be fixed!

Raptor
08-13-2010, 12:13 AM
I don't ride much at night because of poor visibility and my wife doesn't like me out at night because of the many deer around here. But today I had to work at my daughters outgoing appartment patching walls so she doesn't lose her deposit. Needless to say it took me a bit longer than I thought it would. So I'm riding home at a safe speed between 45 to 50 MPH and right around 11:15 it happened. Out of the bushes a deer ran right in front of me . It happened so fast I never applied the brake. I saw a flash of the deer, heard a big thud and my steering jerked to the right. I called the police to take care of the deer as the impact didn't kill it. It was unable to get up because of a broken leg and other injuries. I am not sure of the extent of damage to the Spyder, in the dark it looks OK other than the right mirror being broken. I will give it a good going over in the morning. Right now I am tired and I'm going to bed. I should have stayed in North Carolina a little longer and this wouldn't have happened.

Holy moly! I am glad you are OK. That could have been really bad had you been going at speed. I reckon we'll see what condition the Spyder is in in the morning. But thank goodness you are fine. You were thinking man! :thumbup:

canam9
08-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Sorry to hear. I like deer. :ani29:

groundeffect
08-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Happy to hear u are ok!

SpyderWolf
08-13-2010, 05:16 AM
Glad to hear you are okay after that impact. As others have said, the Spyder can be fixed much easier than we can. I have lost count on the number of deer strikes on a Spyder so far, but all of the reports on here have been very minor injuries if any at all for the ryder. While no one ever wants to hit a deer, it is comforting to know we at least stand a good chance of surviving it.

Let us know how things turn out with the insurance company as well.

the nicko
08-13-2010, 05:26 AM
you got luck :2thumbs: thats nice

one life confront (http://tyda.se/search/confront) infinite (http://tyda.se/search/infinite) life spyder

wyliec
08-13-2010, 05:52 AM
Glad you're okay. Hope not much damage to the spyder.

WackyDan
08-13-2010, 05:55 AM
Even the deer can't help but take a closer look!

I wish you a speedy recovery. The Spyder did it's job, it kept you safer than a two wheeler and potentially with less injuries. Spyders can be repaired or replaced, our forum members can't.

Dan

docdoru
08-13-2010, 06:02 AM
We all wish you a speedy recovery...IMHO ryding the Spyder did prevent serious injuries. :thumbup:

boborgera
08-13-2010, 07:01 AM

Especially; on the barbecue Grill..:D

Some Guy
08-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Good to hear you're OK, Mark. Those dang forest rats are out to get us! :gaah: "be vewy vewy quiet...we're hunting Spyders..."

Good thing you weren't on your HD.

NancysToy
08-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Ouch, Mark! Glad you are OK. You'll probably be sore today. I worry about a deer incident every day around here, and almost had my fears fulfilled earlier this year. Much better on three wheels than two, however...there's no road rash for you to contend with. I hope your Spyder can be repaired.

Lamonster
08-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Sorry to hear this. Glad you're okay for the most part. :pray:

SpyderGirl
08-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Glad to hear you are okay. Speedy recovery to both you and your ride. :doorag:

bikeguy
08-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Sorry to hear about your encounter with the deer. Glad you're okay and hope the Spyder can be fixed soon. Like you, I've just about quit riding at night because of the abundance of deer. While hitting a deer is not quite as bad on a Spyder as on a 2-wheeler, it's still a very dangerous thing.

Cotton

SpyderAnn01
08-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Glad to hear you are okay. I don't think you can truly call yourself a Michigander until you have hit a deer, although it is preferable to do it on 4 wheels.

BRPjunkie
08-13-2010, 10:10 AM
While the bow and gun seasons are limited, Michigan is open season with cars and cycles all year. Hit three with my car in the last six years, but so far, no close encounters on bikes. See them almost every time I ride which is a constant reminder that they are a threat. Good news is no personal injury.

krb1945
08-13-2010, 10:27 AM
It's just good to know the driver is not broken.:2thumbs: The machinery can be repaired or replaced. Maybe nothing more than the mirror and alignment. Many times it is more difficult to repair the driver.

Have a great weekend and please ride 'em safely! Ken krb1945

ntxYguy2009
08-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Glad to hear you are okay.

David

VaughnCat
08-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Glad you're okay mxz600 ! Vaughn and I travel through heavy deer country every time we ride and we're always cautious, but as you well know, those deer have a mind of their own, and we've all seen what they can do to a car! Thankful you're okay!

Cat

PS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam9 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=237725#post237725)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boborgera http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=237725#post237725)
Especially; on the barbecue Grill..:D

This year, we've got 4 sets of twins and lots of does, even a couple of bucks . . . PLEASE come & get'em!!!!

GI Jane
08-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Along with everyone else, I'm glad you'll be OK. Material things can be repaired.:spyder2:

dltang
08-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Mark, keep us posted as to your progress, sometimes the ouchies pop up a little later, hope you got yourself checked out. Also, keep us posted as the the actually damage to your spyder. So sorry you had to go thru the event of hitting a deer but so glad you were on a spyder and not a two wheeler when it happened.

musicarcade
08-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Glad to hear you are ok. That is one of my biggest fears driving home from work on those night I work till 10 or 11pm I can see the deer by the side of the road grazing or gazing. I'm always wondering if one's going to make a dash in front of me:yikes:.

..and wondering about the ones that are there that I don't see:shocked:

SpyderWolf
08-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Glad to hear you are ok. That is one of my biggest fears driving home from work on those night I work till 10 or 11pm I can see the deer by the side of the road grazing or gazing. I'm always wondering if one's going to make a dash in front of me:yikes:.

..and wondering about the ones that are there that I don't see:shocked:

It is usually the ones you don't see that cause the most problems. The ones you see are normally standing still looking back at you. Of course, this all goes out the window when you start talking about fawns as they are basically brain dead and just run all over the place.

bjt
08-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Ouch, Mark! Glad you are OK. You'll probably be sore today. I worry about a deer incident every day around here, and almost had my fears fulfilled earlier this year. Much better on three wheels than two, however...there's no road rash for you to contend with. I hope your Spyder can be repaired.

Many nights on my way home from work (11:30pm) I've had deer jump out in front of me. Fortunately I've had nothing more than semi-close calls. Glad you are okay.

katnapper
08-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Glad u r ok!

Me TOO! Fried, jerked, and in stew... even BBQ!

DragonSpyder
08-13-2010, 05:43 PM
I find a loud exhaust tends to help keep them at bay. While you can still hit a deer while riding with a loud exhaust the chances are minimized.

Blue Star
08-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Along with everyone else, I'm glad you'll be OK. Material things can be repaired.:spyder2:

:agree:Glad you are okay.

Smylinacha
08-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Very glad you walked away from that! We have deer rats everywhere here too - it does get nerve wracking around dusk - they are plentiful here - as plentiful as squirrels just in our back yard.

If it were 2 wheels, story could have been different. So I am glad you were on three!

Big Arm
08-13-2010, 08:40 PM
mxz600, Glad to hear that you weren't seriously injured with your encounter with the deer, and especially being able to keep control of the Spyder. Keep us posted as far as damages go, and how you're doing. Take care.

mxz600
08-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks to all for your words of concern. And like Mike said I'm glad I wasn't on my HD or I might be picking pebbles out of my skin, been there and done that.
I will be taking the Spyder in Monday for a complete check up for damages. I went to the dealer today for a quick going over and right now it looks good. It appears that it will need a right mirror, fender, fender mounting bracket and a wheel alignment. There is always the possibility of hidden damage but I don't foresee it being the case. The insurance adjuster will meet with my dealer to go over damages and the cost of repair. It will fall under a comprehensive claim so my deductable will only be $100.00. Luckily it was a small deer so the damage was minimal. The hind portion of the deer hit my leg but I am fine.
The thing I keep thinking about is I didn't take the same road home that I always do because of the amount of deer along that route. Go figure.
I will post later when I have the complete list of repairs and the total cost of repair.

Dubaian
08-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Glad you're ok

StanTheMan
08-14-2010, 05:55 AM
Glad to hear you're okay. Hearing stories like this is why I prefer riding on three wheels and not two. Take care and ride safe! :thumbup:

Stanley

GadgetGuy442
08-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Thankyou for sharing your experience. With so many things in the world we cannot control, choosing a Spyder is one we can (and did) that gives more robust protection under circumstances like this.

Am very happy to hear you are ok, and wish for you a quick return to the road on your Spyder!

Bill.

Questions
08-14-2010, 08:03 AM
:2thumbs:I live in the Arkansas Ozarks and deer are EVERYWHERE. I have hit two in the last two years. Glad the Spyder kept you safer than a two wheeler. I have a deer combat decal if you want to put it on the Spyder when you up and running again. Only about 3/4" but lets folks know you have done mortal combat with on of our four legged brethren and survived. PM me and I'll drop it in the mail. PS Heel quickly and RIDE!