PDA

View Full Version : FIRE!!!

mc2276
08-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Well, we can add another Spyder to the fire list.:gaah: I just got back from a 7 month deployment to the Persian Gulf. I reinstated my insurance as it had been in storage for the past 7 months and went to pick it up. On the way home, my Spyder was sputtering a little. Did not think much about it, but grabbed some dry gas and fuel injector cleaner to put in the tank when I filled it next time.

On the way, I pulled into a car dealership to check out a car. As soon as I climbed off and stopped the bike, a ball of flame :shocked: shot out the right side and started to grow.

The sales personnel grabbed fire extinguishers and quickly put out the fire. Which is a good thing considering that I was parked right next to the 2011 Mustangs on the lot.

I called the insurance company. They will be by tomorrow to look at it. Not sure what to do now. Can someone help me out....please?

Smylinacha
08-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Sorry you came home to that!:( Guess your insurance company is going to have to take a look at it.

Mine sprayed out gas like a garden hose right when I was supposed to leave for a trip. Turned out to be a loose clamp on the fuel hose that connects to the fuel filter. Spraying out all over the place and onto the pipe is a fire hazard. No fire, turned it off fast once we noticed it. HDX tightened it. I never went on my trip with it cuz we were running out of time to meet someone and I had to hop on as a passenger with HDX but we pulled the panels off when we got back and that was the problem.

Wonder if one of those clamps came loose on yours?

Sny
08-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Sorry to hear, hope the damage isn't too bad.

I wonder how long insurance companies will put up with this before raising the rates on Spyders to astronomical levels.

Just too many to be unrelated.

When I removed my cannister from both trikes, I noticed that the "hot" side had a white streak like a stress mark or chemical reaction. It's not very deep and it's very thick heavy plastic, but we both had less than 5k miles at that point. Just makes me wonder if we were fireballs waiting to happen.

BRP, help! Please? Find it, fix it, and communicate in a way that gives us confidence again.

bone crusher
08-13-2010, 12:13 AM
This is very bad news but if the bike was sitting for 7 months, who knows what buildup was there and what happened once the bike was running, under pressure, etc..the right side of the bike has the exhaust system...perhaps the gaskets had gone bad...seals dried out, etc....who knows...why always blame BRP?? Dry gas and fuel injector were added...were they necessary? Could they increase the risk for exhaust issues?

I don't think the fire issue is as big a deal as some have been making it...it's now what, about 5 for how many thousands of bikes? And who knows the causes of each one? One cannot assume all the fires were due to the same thing until that is proven...

As far as insurance rates going up...yeah, they go up due to risk and claims...I would think the vast majority of Spyder owners haven't had any insurance claims...

This stinks that it happened and I hope they figure out why, but it may not be BRP's fault and people should reserve judgement until all the facts are in...

Raptor
08-13-2010, 12:41 AM
This is very bad news but if the bike was sitting for 7 months, who knows what buildup was there and what happened once the bike was running, under pressure, etc..the right side of the bike has the exhaust system...perhaps the gaskets had gone bad...seals dried out, etc....who knows...why always blame BRP?? Dry gas and fuel injector were added...were they necessary? Could they increase the risk for exhaust issues?

I don't think the fire issue is as big a deal as some have been making it...it's now what, about 5 for how many thousands of bikes? And who knows the causes of each one? One cannot assume all the fires were due to the same thing until that is proven...

As far as insurance rates going up...yeah, they go up due to risk and claims...I would think the vast majority of Spyder owners haven't had any insurance claims...

This stinks that it happened and I hope they figure out why, but it may not be BRP's fault and people should reserve judgement until all the facts are in...

:agree: There are lots of potential causes for this particular incident. It will be very interesting to see if an actual cause is found and what it was. PLease keep us informed. I'm glad it wasn't too bad and that you are fine.

BTW, many, many thanks for your service. It means more than you know. :thumbup:

Capt John
08-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Out of all the spyders that have caught on fire. Has there been a statement of cause for any of these? I may have missed a post on this subject. Just wondering if BRP has made any statement to any owner whose spyder caught fire. I know there has been a lot of assumptions...just wondering about the facts.

Mo Lee
08-13-2010, 04:07 AM
After sitting that long there is a very good chance of fuel hose drying out and leaking, however I would love to know if the vent line extension was in place.

SpyderWolf
08-13-2010, 05:13 AM
welcome home, and thanks for your service!

Sorry you had to come home and have a problem like this with your Spyder. There are many things that may have happened to it while in storage. Mice is the first one that comes to my mind. They love to chew on wires, and may have done some damage to your spark plug wires or something. Also, since you have been deployed for so long there is a good chance the vent line extension to the rear of the Spyder has not been done yet. The last one that recently caught fire did not have this done either, so it will be interesting to see if that is the case and we find a trend.

Best of luck with the insurance company, and I wish you even more luck in finding a good dealer that will take care of you and repair everything properly.

Semper Fi

the nicko
08-13-2010, 06:43 AM
hope the damage isn't too bad :yikes:

insurance company fixit

boborgera
08-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Dry gas and fuel injector were added...were they necessary? Could they increase the risk for exhaust issues?
:dontknow:
I think he didn't get a chance to put the drygas/fuel cleaner in the tank before the fire.

fastfraser
08-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Glad you weren't hurt and hope the:spyder2: can be fixed quickly. Please keep use informed as to the cause of the fire .

Fire Joe
08-13-2010, 08:12 AM
First I want to say that I am glad you are ok, as others have said your Spyder can be fixed or replaced. Also welcome back home and thanks for your service.

Unless there were others that has caught on fire recently and didn't get reported, I think my Spyder was the last to catch on fire. Here is the thread about it.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20861

Mine did NOT have the extension to the vent hose done and it was pretty much determined that it was the likely source of the fire. I hope they are able to figure out the cause of your fire and maybe then something will get done about it such as recalls, updates, etc.

I am guessing when you said the fire got put out quickly that yours didn't completely burn to the ground? Have any pics of it?

Keep us posted please if you can.

smokster
08-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Sorry you came home to that!:( Guess your insurance company is going to have to take a look at it.

Mine sprayed out gas like a garden hose right when I was supposed to leave for a trip. Turned out to be a loose clamp on the fuel hose that connects to the fuel filter. Spraying out all over the place and onto the pipe is a fire hazard. No fire, turned it off fast once we noticed it. HDX tightened it. I never went on my trip with it cuz we were running out of time to meet someone and I had to hop on as a passenger with HDX but we pulled the panels off when we got back and that was the problem.

Wonder if one of those clamps came loose on yours?
My clamp came loose as well and was dripping gas. Should inspect every so often.

groundeffect
08-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Very sorry to hear of this trouble and glad that you are ok !!

My clamp came loose as well and was dripping gas. Should inspect every so often.

Guys, I'm currently away from the house and don't have the shop manual PDF available to me...

Just wondering if someone out there that has access to the PDF (or scanner) could spot this clamp mentioned, circle it in a jpeg picture and upload to show others.
Hopefully this will help others to identify a potential problem and pay closer attention to possibly helping preventing this - just take a little extra care to be sure that clamp/assembly is inspected a little more frequently

This may not be the case in this particular situation, but having this picture that may have been the root cause of other fires would be helpful. Heck even a short post/guide on most common things to check for to help keep the gas lines and hoses in good working order, etc..., would add value. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Dean

SilverSurfer
08-13-2010, 10:20 AM
My regrets on MC's fire and the damage to his bike. I'm happy you're OK, bro.

From reading the thread, it looks like this has only been reported twice on earlier model GS/RS's?

Whatever the case, my RT's in the shop next week for it's 3K service, clutch recall, anyother tech bulletins Elka Stage 1+ shocks and a K&N air filter, before Spyders in the Smokies. While they have everything apart, I'll surely have them check those fuel lines.

Best regards,

Paul

mc2276
08-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Will find out more on Tuesday when it gets to the dealer and they tear it apart. The vent line extension recall has not been done. I did not get a chance to add the cleaner or dry gas, so those did not affect it. Thanks for all your concern. I will keep you posted. The only pics are of melted fairings. I will post them when I can.

hondaman
08-13-2010, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE=groundeffect;237796]Very sorry to hear of this trouble and glad that you are ok !!

Guys, I'm currently away from the house and don't have the shop manual PDF available to me...

Just wondering if someone out there that has access to the PDF (or scanner) could spot this clamp mentioned, circle it in a jpeg picture and upload to show others.
Hopefully this will help others to identify a potential problem and pay closer attention to possibly helping preventing this - just take a little extra care to be sure that clamp/assembly is inspected a little more frequently

This may not be the case in this particular situation, but having this picture that may have been the root cause of other fires would be helpful. Heck even a short post/guide on most common things to check for to help keep the gas lines and hoses in good working order, etc..., would add value. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Dean[/QUOTt

this one?mine was loose.

Pilo
08-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Very sorry to hear of this trouble and glad that you are ok !!

Cheers,
Dean

Here is a pic that I took a while ago on the right side of my SE5 after I performed the canisterectomy.

The gas filter outlet connection always slips out like that, even though I push it back towards the filter from time to time. It stays in that position because it its held in place by the bulbous end of the filter connecting tube.

Will replace the oetiker clamp by a regular worm-type.

If the hose was dry or cracked due to the time the Spyder was not used, it could have easily slipped out due to the pressure of the fuel leaving the filter.

Just my uneducated opinion...

Saludos, Pilo

Sarge707
08-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Here is a pic that I took a while ago on the right side of my SE5 after I performed the canisterectomy.

The gas filter outlet connection always slips out like that, even though I push it back towards the filter from time to time. It stays in that position because it its held in place by the bulbous end of the filter connecting tube.

If the hose was dry or cracked due to the time the Spyder was not used, it could have easily slipped out due to the pressure of the fuel leaving the filter.

Saludos, Pilo
Thanks! Good day to strip the tupperware and take a look around?
Sitting in a Hot Climate storage facility for the Summer has to be a possible factor.:dontknow:

boborgera
08-13-2010, 11:34 AM

Saludos, Pilo

My fuel filter is exactly that way, Been like that for 2 + years.
I check it quite often, it seems tight enough?? :pray:

chillirider
08-13-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't care what anyone says no vehicle should catch fire because it sits 7 months. If that was the case I would have had to deal with a lot of fires when I was deployed. Thanks for your service!!!!

boborgera
08-13-2010, 01:16 PM
I don't care what anyone says no vehicle should catch fire because it sits 7 months. If that was the case I would have had to deal with a lot of fires when I was deployed. Thanks for your service!!!!

:agree:It's just well meaning people looking for easy solutions for difficult problems.
Like when somebody has a problem the first thing that is posted = Check your Battery! ,Wish it was that easy:shocked:

musicarcade
08-13-2010, 02:25 PM
:agree:It's just well meaning people looking for easy solutions for difficult problems.
Like when somebody has a problem the first thing that is posted = Check your Battery! ,Wish it was that easy:shocked:

I checked the battery- It's still there!:2thumbs:
:roflblack::roflblack:

Sorry to hear about the flaming :spyder2:. I hope the insurance takes care of you in a timely manner.

,,and thank you for your service!:bowdown:

bone crusher
08-13-2010, 02:35 PM

I agree with you that no bike should go up in flames if it sits, but while it is sitting, there is corrosion, rubber seals go bad, settling occurs, etc...this doesn't necessarily make it a BRP problem...

The important thing is that nobody was injured and that the bike didn't totally go up in flames...hopefully, the cause of this can be determined...

Smylinacha
08-13-2010, 02:57 PM
OK, I'm on break at work and our puters load things differently (not as good) as my laptop at home. I took a short Youtube video of it to show where the gas came out. I never took it on the trip cuz we didn't have time to pull the panels off and investigate it since we were running late. But it turned out to be a loose clamp - HDX took the panel off and found it and tightened up the clamps. Took this little video when we got back from our trip once we had time to look at it. Those clamps on the hoses where it connects to the fuel filter is what was loose. I believe it was the one on the right. Something that should be checked periodically I guess.

So here's the link (which I had to take off my Youtube account from my Droid since work doesn't let me on Youtube, email it to myself and stick it in here) Phew! :2thumbs:

Let me know if you can see it or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAKmN-rkuuo&feature=youtube_gdata

wyliec
08-13-2010, 03:03 PM
It won't let me play it. I get a message about accepting it. But, when I click on the pointer, just get the message.

SpyderWolf
08-13-2010, 03:07 PM
It says it is a Private Video, and we have to be on your friends list. You may want to edit the settings to set it for Public viewing, if you can do that on the Droid.

Sny
08-13-2010, 04:13 PM
why always blame BRP?
Not blame. Request for help from the company that designed and built it.

I wish that they could say "We know what it is and how to fix it and it'll never happen again" but I fully understand the need to investigate each case individually as there are many things that can cause fires.

Regardless of all of the rationalization and deep thinking, the requests for patience and cool heads:

The durn things keep catching on FIRE! :yikes:

This isn't bad gas mileage or a funny smell. This is FIRE!

Does it happen often? Nah. Could you burn down your entire house while you're sleeping in it? YEP!

Fire almost always results in the loss of something irreplacable. At the very least you lose time. At the worst... :( It's kind of a serious thing.

So anyhow, my plea was for BRP to find something, fix it, and tell us it's gonna be all ok. If they can't find anything to fix, great! Then these are just random obscure cases. Tell us about it! They could tell us "So far all cases of Spyder fires are on units that had not done the recall that reroutes the evap vent hose away from the engine/exhaust". That would be wonderful. But they haven't said that.

So far they haven't really communicated anything too clearly so it doesn't feel "ok".

Wow, ok, no more ranting...

BTW, Thanks for your service Marine! Hope they fix yer toy up while you still have time to play with it!

katnapper
08-13-2010, 06:07 PM
sry to hear about ur fire, hope all goes well, THANKS for your service! X Army here. 1977-1980 geez I'm gettin old...

SpyderFun
08-13-2010, 06:12 PM
I agree with you that no bike should go up in flames if it sits, but while it is sitting, there is corrosion, rubber seals go bad, settling occurs, etc...this doesn't necessarily make it a BRP problem....

First of all, glad you personally are safe and this retired military member says thnx for serving. :2thumbs:

Now, am I hearing this correctly? That the mfg possibly built a motorcycle using parts that fail for, of all things, MERELY SITTING FOR 7-MONTHS? :yikes:

Q. How many of us in the Northern States own a lawn mower and store it for the winter? Should always expect it to catch fire the 1st time we go to use it in the spring and say, "that's normal because it's been sitting all winter long?"

A. HECK NO!

Q. Would any of us seriously bought, or even considered buying, a Spyder if we had to sign a waiver acknowledging the potential fire hazard of the product thus releasing BRP from any financial responsibility or injury? :chat:

A. I hope everyone said "NO".

I have personally spent well north of $30k for my motorcycle and accessories and if it catches fire during normal use, my 2nd call would be to my attorney. How is this any different than the automakers putting out a car with a faulty component (recall the fires without anyone being around; fires that caused the burning down of the owners home as well) and keept silent about it? In the end it never turns out financially well for them, especially if a death is involved.

We should ALWAYS demand a safe and quality built machine for the money we've spent for it - especially a product that DOES NOT catch fire thru normal use. nojoke

Or am I completely wrong in my thinking here? :dontknow: :popcorn:

SpyderWolf
08-13-2010, 07:12 PM
First of all, glad you personally are safe and this retired military member says thnx for serving. :2thumbs:

Now, am I hearing this correctly? That the mfg possibly built a motorcycle using parts that fail for, of all things, MERELY SITTING FOR 7-MONTHS? :yikes:

Q. How many of us in the Northern States own a lawn mower and store it for the winter? Should always expect it to catch fire the 1st time we go to use it in the spring and say, "that's normal because it's been sitting all winter long?"

A. HECK NO!

Q. Would any of us seriously bought, or even considered buying, a Spyder if we had to sign a waiver acknowledging the potential fire hazard of the product thus releasing BRP from any financial responsibility or injury? :chat:

I have personally spent well north of $30k for my motorcycle and accessories and if it catches fire during normal use, my 2nd call would be to my attorney. How is this any different than the automakers putting out a car with a faulty component (recall the fires without anyone being around; fires that caused the burning down of the owners home as well) and keept silent about it? In the end it never turns out financially well for them, especially if a death is involved.

We should ALWAYS demand a safe and quality built machine for the money we've spent for it - especially a product that DOES NOT catch fire thru normal use. nojoke

Some were thinking of possibly dry rotted fuel lines. I was thinking perhaps a mouse chewed on some of the wiring which created the necessary spark to start the fire. He has reported the vent hose extension has not been done on this Spyder. So, it could be a combination of vent hose and spark from somewhere. Of course this is all just speculation as none of us are there to inspect his machine. We will have to wait until the dealer looks at it and tells him what they found.

A normal occurrence? Definitely not. Caused by sitting for 7 months? Most likely not just by the sitting, chances are there is something else going on as well. The one that recently caught fire before this did not have the vent tube extension done either. So perhaps we are starting to see a pattern, and now know why that was added to the list of updates.

boborgera
08-13-2010, 08:14 PM
OK, I'm on break at work and our puters load things differently (not as good) as my laptop at home. I took a short Youtube video of it to show where the gas came out. I never took it on the trip cuz we didn't have time to pull the panels off and investigate it since we were running late. But it turned out to be a loose clamp - HDX took the panel off and found it and tightened up the clamps. Took this little video when we got back from our trip once we had time to look at it. Those clamps on the hoses where it connects to the fuel filter is what was loose. I believe it was the one on the right. Something that should be checked periodically I guess.

So here's the link (which I had to take off my Youtube account from my Droid since work doesn't let me on Youtube, email it to myself and stick it in here) Phew! :2thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAKmN-rkuuo&feature=youtube_gdata

From the picture only can't get the video to run, The fuel filter isn't held on with the stock clamps.
Did you change the clamps before or after the leak?

Smylinacha
08-13-2010, 08:15 PM
OK, let me try to fix it and I'll reload it. It's private cuz I have other stuff on there that is private so I made this one private. No biggie - the other private stuff I have on there is the new droid app - Talking Tom Cat - it is hysterical. It repeats what you say and I put a funny one of roaddog up but it is not family friendly so that is why I privatized it :2thumbs:. I'll go back and fix this one though.

Smylinacha
08-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Can you see it now? I fixed the video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAKmN-rkuuo

boborgera
08-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Can you see it now? I fixed the video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAKmN-rkuuo

:2thumbs:
Thanks got it to run, The worm clamps are not from the factory .
My guess is somebody changed the fuel filter and didn't tighten the clamps.

Smylinacha
08-13-2010, 08:44 PM

We changed the clamps a while back - they were the crimp things. HDX put the better ones on when he did the purge valve thing. It was serviced for the 12K and I rode it after that, HDX rode it and it was fine. I went to ride it again for my trip and that's when the leak started. So they were tight when I rode it after my service. Must have come loose or something. I'm just saying things like this should be checked on once in a while.

Also it was in the garage during very hot humid weather - not sure if heat made the hoses contract/expand when we had temperature changes. Who knows.:dontknow:

But when I hear stories about flames on the right side of the Spyder, I think loose clamps or messed up hoses.

1-up
08-13-2010, 08:47 PM

Sad to say if the clamps are not tightened after a fuel filter is replaced, under pressure the line will drip.
Have found after many years of experience, have only a competent
knowledgable mechanic work on your machine, and if anything
was changed on the fuel delivery system, check the clamps.

This incident may well have been done prior to storage, and leaving the machine for that period oftime maybe softened the physical fuel
line connection.

Those of us who have seasonal equipment such as lawn mowers or similar, often learn from experience what to expect or not expect come the beginning of the gardenning and/or riding season.

Smylinacha
08-13-2010, 08:59 PM
All I know is if it sits in the hot steamy garage like it did before then I'm checking everything before I ride it again. I'd say it sat a couple of weeks because we had some rain, no time to ride at one point and it got real hot out and I don't like to ryde when it's in the 90's with 100% humidity. Spyder doesn't like it - tends to backfire in humidity. And it runs hot - well I'm sure it's normal for running hot but I can't take that hot air coming out of the vents on me when it's 90 plus out and humid.

Weather has cooled down and dried out. Hope it stays that way.

Sad to say if the clamps are not tightened after a fuel filter is replaced, under pressure the line will drip.
Have found after many years of experience, have only a competent
knowledgable mechanic work on your machine, and if anything
was changed on the fuel delivery system, check the clamps.

This incident may well have been done prior to storage, and leaving the machine for that period oftime maybe softened the physical fuel
line connection.

Those of us who have seasonal equipment such as lawn mowers or similar, often learn from experience what to expect or not expect come the beginning of the gardenning and/or riding season.

Firefly
08-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Sorry for the fire for sure!

Get the second update or do the canisterectomy.

While spurting gas is a bad thing--- remember that liquid gas doesn't burn. I've spilled gas plenty on really hot pipes and have NEVER had a fire because of it.

It's that :cus: Cansiter! Remove it and run the vent hose to the back away from any heat!

bone crusher
08-13-2010, 11:10 PM

A. HECK NO!

Everything you said is nice, but it doesn't implicate BRP as being responsible for anything. Just because a bike catches fire doesn't mean it's the manufacturer's fault. Until the reason for the fire is known, it's pointless to speculate. Everyone is always so fast to blame BRP for everything...without any proof.

Mo Lee
08-14-2010, 05:03 AM
We changed the clamps a while back - they were the crimp things. HDX put the better ones on when he did the purge valve thing. It was serviced for the 12K and I rode it after that, HDX rode it and it was fine. I went to ride it again for my trip and that's when the leak started. So they were tight when I rode it after my service. Must have come loose or something. I'm just saying things like this should be checked on once in a while.

Also it was in the garage during very hot humid weather - not sure if heat made the hoses contract/expand when we had temperature changes. Who knows.:dontknow:

But when I hear stories about flames on the right side of the Spyder, I think loose clamps or messed up hoses.
The old term Bigger is Better, does not apply to to worm type hose clamps. When you are dealing with small higher pressure rubber hose if the clamp isn't the right size it will have a tendency to clamp in an egg shape (not round) and not hold even pressure all the way around the hose.

Smylinacha
08-14-2010, 09:24 AM
HDX changed the clamps because he did not trust the oetiker clamps that were stock. Back when he did the canisterectomy, after seeing that some Spyders burnt to the ground, the clamps he put on were sized and installed correctly and they were tight.

I know liquid gas doesn't burn but the vapors do. Where there is liquid gas, vapors are present. Where there is an ignition source with vapors present, that is cause for a fire.

Sorry for the fire for sure!

Get the second update or do the canisterectomy.

While spurting gas is a bad thing--- remember that liquid gas doesn't burn. I've spilled gas plenty on really hot pipes and have NEVER had a fire because of it.

It's that :cus: Cansiter! Remove it and run the vent hose to the back away from any heat!

mxz600
08-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Very sorry to hear about your Spyder. Just glad you are OK.

SpyderFun
08-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Everything you said is nice, but it doesn't implicate BRP as being responsible for anything. Just because a bike catches fire doesn't mean it's the manufacturer's fault. Until the reason for the fire is known, it's pointless to speculate. Everyone is always so fast to blame BRP for everything...without any proof.

You are right except motorcycles, automobiles, snowmobiles or any other gas operated machine is not designed to catch on fire during normal use.

The key phrase here is NORMAL USE. Now if a fuel line (as an example) is chewed thru by a mouse, well that isn't something engineers cannot design and take into consideration as "normal use". Additionally, this is not the first and only bike this has happened to.

I can say that as a person with over 25 years experience in aviation as a licensed inspector and operator that if this happened to a specific fleet type aircraft, the FAA would have them grounded world-wide until the cause was found.

Why should we expect LESS from BRP or at the very least, their silence? :dontknow:

Just something I think we all be aware of given the price we paid for these machines.

wyliec
08-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Just something I think we all be aware of given the price we paid for these machines.

You almost make it sound like BRP should be checking into the causes of the fires based on what we paid for the Spyder. Price should not enter into any safety issues, whether you paid $100 or $20,000.

SpyderFun
08-14-2010, 04:06 PM
You almost make it sound like BRP should be checking into the causes of the fires based on what we paid for the Spyder. Price should not enter into any safety issues, whether you paid $100 or $20,000.

:agree:

The point I was making is for the price I think we should expect that the mfg would handle this in a more professional manner by at least stating that all of these occurrences are under their investigation.

I bet we eventually see a Service Bulletin over it!

SpyderWolf
08-14-2010, 04:33 PM
I bet we eventually see a Service Bulletin over it!

Many of us think we already have, and it is the vent tubing extension update. Only time will tell for sure though, unless BRP does decide to make a public statement about it.

SpyderWolf
08-14-2010, 09:19 PM
:wrong: That's a pretty scary video!

I was also able to see the video now. All of that was caused by just a loose clamp? :yikes:

Smylinacha
08-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Yes, that was from a loose clamp. So all I am saying is do some pre-ride inspections here and there.

SpyderWolf
08-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Yes, that was from a loose clamp. So all I am saying is do some pre-ride inspections here and there.

Thanks!

Firefly
08-15-2010, 03:39 PM
The various changes brp made during the updates being directly related to the fires has not been verified. While it sound probable.... We just are not sure. I blame the canister for the source .... But not sure about ignition source...... But I highly doubt it's the hot pipes---- more likely a spark.

I don't believe fumes can ignite from a simple heat source like the pipes----- they would have to be basically be red hot.

As stated once before----- you can literally boil gas on an electric stove.

The stupid canister is storing fumes---- and somehow released to an ignition source.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it

Smylinacha
08-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Well rode mine today and no problems. A little on the humid side but not hot out. But they are doing some road construction on the streets I take home from a ride and it was pretty bumpy for the entire ride on those streets. So no doubt I'll be making sure things stayed tight on the Spyder before I go out the next time. But the faster you go on the bumpy roads, the better, seems to just fly over most of the bumps and potholes.

mc2276
09-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Well, 4 weeks and still no word as the cause of the fire and no idea how much longer I will be without my motorcycle. :gaah: Not sure who is to blame for it taking this long, dealership or BRP, but both are making me lose my patience. All I wanted to do upon return from deployment, was to ride. It has been a month and still no ryding. :cus: I am not happy at all.

NancysToy
09-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Well, 4 weeks and still no word as the cause of the fire and no idea how much longer I will be without my motorcycle. :gaah: Not sure who is to blame for it taking this long, dealership or BRP, but both are making me lose my patience. All I wanted to do upon return from deployment, was to ride. It has been a month and still no ryding. :cus: I am not happy at all.
What does your insurance company say? This is not a warranty issue, it is an insurance claim. It sounds like your dealer and the insurance company are not working well together. I'd call my insurance agent pronto...and again daily if necessary!

tweeder
09-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Make sure you report it to the NHSTA, that way there's a running tab on these fireballs.

Neez
09-17-2010, 05:06 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAKmN-rkuuo&feature=youtube_gdata Smilin', I see the video OK. I notice the leaking clamps are screw-types, not the original Oetickers. Did the original clamps leak as well?

SpyderWolf
09-17-2010, 08:51 PM

Definitely an insurance issue, and they should be working hard to get it taken care of for you as quickly as possible. If they are not, then it is time to light a fire under your agents rear end.

irish2themax
09-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Mine sprayed out gas like a garden hose right when I was supposed to leave for a trip. Turned out to be a loose clamp on the fuel hose that connects to the fuel filter.

Same thing happened on mine...banjo clip failed

As a Navy retiree I'd like to thank you for your service mc2276

mc2276
09-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Well, called the insurance today. The dealership still has not given them the estimate. WTH!!!!

RoadHammer
09-18-2010, 12:27 PM
yikes another fire, glad your ok:2thumbs:

Lone Spyder Ryder
09-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Hey bone crusher,
maybe you should reserve judgment until it is your Spyder we are all talking about. Not BRP fault. Steering was all the riders’ fault. Is that is why BRP was forced to recall the Spyder. 3 DPS units later and there is still a problem with the power steering. I know because I was still having problems with the steering the day my Spyder self-ignited and my DPS was replaced.
The gas problem has been going on since the Spyder came out. Just why is it you think my insurance should have to pay for BRP’s flaws. FYI there has been 8 burnt up on the forums and there are 3 more on the Copart site.
If it was a over fueling problem why did BRP do a recall. The Spyder is a very special machine and no one is disagreeing with that. But there is a problem and when the Spyder is still under warranty it is not my insurance that should pay for it. I supposed it was top of the line engineering that put a 6.6 or 7.3 gal tank that can’t be filled. Oh that’s right it is the riders fault and your are right about after all we bought a Spyder.
Below is a link to a example of how it should work. http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/201035/6098/Freak-fires-force-Ferrari-to-recall-the-458-Italia (http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/201035/6098/Freak-fires-force-Ferrari-to-recall-the-458-Italia) don’t matter what machine cost, it is the company that sells it should back it. :gaah:

It was just pointed out to me that the Spyders that are on Copart were part of a dealership that caught fire. The 2010 RT looked like that would have been the case. the other three looked a lot like mine and the others posted here.

IWN2RYD
09-20-2010, 10:06 AM
The various changes brp made during the updates being directly related to the fires has not been verified. While it sound probable.... We just are not sure. I blame the canister for the source .... But not sure about ignition source...... But I highly doubt it's the hot pipes---- more likely a spark.

I don't believe fumes can ignite from a simple heat source like the pipes----- they would have to be basically be red hot.

As stated once before----- you can literally boil gas on an electric stove.

The stupid canister is storing fumes---- and somehow released to an ignition source.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it

I am leaning this way as well.

Just as an FYI for everyone.. Seriously! Weird things happen when we have a "fuel" source mixed with heat. Here is an example of a real life situation.

A very good friend of mine owns a large and very successful NY Deli... For years his wife would wash the deli towels at home on a Friday, load them in the trunk Friday night so they can take them down Saturday morning...

Well... One Friday night they had a family member over... Heard a commotion around 11:30pm... Joe got up to investigate, only to find the noise to be coming from the garage. He heard what sounded like the Garage Door opening and closing...

He opened the home entrance door to the garage and saw his garage on fire.

The end result of this story is very simple. The Fire Marshal said this happens at least once a year in. The towels never really get cleaned, there is still oils and grease on them. And when the "Environment" is just right the towels will self ignite and that is that.

The home had over, $230,000 in damage, lost the two week old luxury car, $1200 in cash and so on....

For personal example... I used to race. I have had more than one vehicle catch on fire. One day I was racing... Smelled fuel... About two laps later I was on fire. Total loss for the vehicle, scarrrrrrry situation for me, no harm done though...

I thought the fire started in the engine compartment. Like here... thought maybe the fuel leaked onto the exhaust pipe... What they told me surprised me. I was incorrect. However enough fuel was leaking to create a good amount of fumes... Then when I would brake hard going into a turn... These fumes would do what all air and liquids do... Move forward to the front... Well they say that the Disc Brake gets VERY hot, sparks more often than we think, and ignited the fuel fumes, that traveled back in a blink of an eye to the fuel source.. and the fire took over from there...

I now respect those signs that say "Keep xyx feet" form this item with flame, phones etc... Or even pumping gas at a gas station http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=639389n&tag=related;photovideo

Now I love this one from Mythbusters... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRGrFLRs9xE

Anyway. I hope that as we all read these types of threads that we realize just because we have not experienced it, or are as educated or informed as a Fire Marshal is, that we do not make a fatal mistake and assume something that can end up being a very dangerous situation for us.

WackyDan
09-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Well.. Theories are always food for thought. We may never know the reasons for the fires and many could indeed be unrelated to each other.

On saturday, I stopped to gas up the Spyder. I generally pay close attention to the nozzle, but this time I was in a hurry, set the nozzle at one click, and was screwing around in my trunk when I heard what sounded like running water.

Gas was pouring out of the Spyder... The nozzle had not released automatically. Lesson learned. *But, the spyder did not ignite. :)

That gas was streaming all over a still very hot, just shut down Spyder...Needless to say, I put the cap on, and pushed the Spyder away and parked her. Had a couple bottles of water that I poured down inside the panels, and made sure I poured enough to get any and all pockets of gas flushed out of the under frame panels... Then I waited a good while for any residual gas to fume off before firing her up again...

If anything, these threads make us paranoid.. and if it makes a few of us check clamps more often than not, it is good.

wyliec
09-20-2010, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=IWN2RYD;249696]

I now respect those signs that say "Keep xyx feet" form this item with flame, phones etc... Or even pumping gas at a gas station http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=639389n&tag=related;photovideo

QUOTE]

Thanks much for posting that link. I will definetly make sure I discharge myself and make the gf aware. Although when I do exit to pump gas, I shut the door and didn't know I was actually discharging myself. That's some good stuff. Thanks again.

Rockytime
09-20-2010, 04:00 PM

It came through without a hitch!

wyliec
09-20-2010, 06:44 PM

It came through without a hitch!

Where's the link?

themobb
09-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks for your service, and sorry about your fire...

I just brought my wife's spyder home today after the dealer 600 mile check. ($380!!! OUCH)

Anyway, strong smell of gas in garage after I parked it. Don't remember it doing this before... Dealer says they did not change fuel filter or mess with anything else fuel related... :dontknow:

Just hope it's outside when it decides to fire up...

Lance

mc2276
09-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Well, found out what happened. It was caused by the evaporator canister. Since I was deployed, I was unable to get the recall done. BRP is covering all costs (over 4 grand) of the repair. I should have my Spyder back in about a week as long as the parts come in, which BRP also stated they are putting a priority on.
I want to say thanks to everyone who emailed me. Especially Lamonster for your assistance on getting BRP involved with this. I was seriously loosing faith in BRP and the dealership. BRP has redeemed themselves. And I know my insurance company is also grateful.

Big Arm
09-24-2010, 08:16 AM
GREAT NEWS :2thumbs:

Glad to hear you are being taken care of by BRP :clap: :clap: :clap:

SpyderFun
09-24-2010, 08:25 AM
From 1 Vet to another.....Thanks for being there for all of us!

:helpsmilie:

Is this just something that is happening to a specific make and/or model (ie: Sport) or is this an issue for ALL Spyder make and models? :dontknow:

truck 85
09-24-2010, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=SpyderFun;250850]Thanks for being there for all of us!

glad to hear you are getting it fixed.

Raptor
09-24-2010, 02:08 PM
That's great news, hope you get it back soon. Also, the first Spyder fire that I've heard of BRP accepting responsibility for. That's good news, too. :2thumbs:

I'm with HDX on this one. Very cool they are taking care of you. After all, you guys take care of us. Thanks for your service man. :doorag:

Boriken
09-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Glad that you are OK Sargeant:yes:, welcome back home and thank you for your sevice.

millers1
09-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Well, found out what happened. It was caused by the evaporator canister. Since I was deployed, I was unable to get the recall done. BRP is covering all costs (over 4 grand) of the repair. I should have my Spyder back in about a week as long as the parts come in, which BRP also stated they are putting a priority on.
I want to say thanks to everyone who emailed me. Especially Lamonster for your assistance on getting BRP involved with this. I was seriously loosing faith in BRP and the dealership. BRP has redeemed themselves. And I know my insurance company is also grateful.

That is outstanding news! Way to go BRP. BTW.. thanks for serving.

SpyderWolf
09-26-2010, 10:29 AM
This is actually great news on many fronts. First of all you are getting your Spyder fixed, and BRP is standing behind it. Secondly it shows the recall work to extend the evap cannister vent tube is a credible fix as well. This is very reassuring, at least to me if nobody else.

Thanks a bunch for posting the update, and thanks again for your service as well. :thumbup:

Lone Spyder Ryder
09-27-2010, 02:28 AM
Hi all.
This is just my way of thinking but every time I hear someone say just let your insurance company take care of it I get a little upset. I do believe that the Spyders that are burning up should be repaired or replaced under the warranty. My house did not catch the Spyder on fire nor did anything else catch it on fire. Something happened under the “Tupperware in front of the seat and the side panel. End of story. Same place that most have reported seeing the smoke or flames. This is a BRP problem.

Just because it’s not your problem yet, don’t mean it can’t or won’t be your problem one day. I had a friend that thought my complaints on the forums here were bad for all the Spyder owners and that you should just really say good things here. Well needless to say I didn't agree with him then and I still don't agree.

When I hear that self-igniting Spyder in not BRP’s responsibility I think about Toyota’s sticking gas pedal that is always the drivers fault. It is just mostly driver error. The CA State Trooper that lost his life along with his family did notpanic and miss the brake and kept his foot on the gas. The gas pedal stuck. But you say hey the back box on the Toyota should that the brake was not applied. Last week it was very quietly announced that the software in the black box was faulty and Toyota knew that also. BRP kept telling people that there was not a steering issue also.

Second reason for not wanting to use insurance is unless you buy and pay extra for replacement of vehicle insurance you end up with actual cash value. MSRP for a 2008 Spyder SM5 is $15499.00 according to Elk Grove Power Sports and Redding Yamaha Sea-doo. That is what they told my insurance company. I never heard of anyone buying one new for that price but that’s what the dealers. So I paid $16500 for mine new. Added $4800 on mods makes $21300. Offer from insurance so far $13200. I know a lot of people are going to say that you never get your money for extras. I paid an extra $90 for coverage of the mods I added so I should get the $4800 for that back but not so far. That’s a loss of $8100 for a 25000 mile ride of which 21000 miles of it was with steering problem, missing, sputtering, and the off and on smell fuel did not make for completely carefree riding. I always had the off and on steering problem and always thought about the possibility of fire. Add extremely expansive service that may or may not have been done. You can’t stand and watch them work on it so you don’t know what they do or don’t but in my case I know that I rode with a loose throttle body and air intake control valve out of adjustment that the one dealer that had to for weeks could not find.
Yep I don’t think it my insurance company’s fault the Spyder burned up. Tomorrow BRP is supposed to be here in Sacramento, Ca to check out my Spyder. I guess I should be thankful for that. But I don’t think they will really be able to tell much. The guy that picked up the Spyder just loaded it on the truck and took off. All the melted part and pieces that were on the ground and part of the back of the trunk were left behind. I did pick it all up and was kept it but last garbage day it got put out with the trash so that’s the end of that. I really find it upsetting that BRP did not find the fire important enough to send someone to my place to look at the whole scene. They would have learned a lot more. But what the heck it’s just one guys problem and he is kind of grouchy anyway.
So stay tuned. Be it BRP, Insurance, or Attorney? I will get some satisfaction one way or another. Yep you might say I am kind of upset.

P.S. I do believe we all have a right to say what we feel so my response above is just that. My opinion right, wrong or indifferent just an opionion.
SpyderWolf I agree with you it seems odd to me also but then I have done a lot of complaining about the problems I have had so maybe that’s it. Just don’t know.

SpyderWolf
09-27-2010, 05:53 AM
Have you made any contact with BRP about this yourself?

It seems odd to me that they are taking care of MC2276's fire issue, but nothing is being done about yours. Perhaps you should send him a private message to see what he is doing differently. :dontknow:

SpyderFun
09-27-2010, 09:12 AM
I said it once and I'll say it again, machines ARE NOT designed to catch fire as a requirement of meeting some "Operational Safety Standard"!

What would happen if an airplane just suddenly caught fire? Should we accept Boeing, AirBus or Bombardier at their word that it was the pilots fault? I think not.

I am for:
1) a through investigation being done to determine EXACTLY WHY this is happening and to fix it BEFORE someone is injured or worse and;
2) until this happens BRP MUST assume it is THEIR problem and not that of the insurance companies! Remember 1 good suit could end their product line(s) in these tough times!

Time for someone to man-up by stepping-up and assume some responsibility in discovering "WHY ARE SPYDERS CATCHING FIRE?"

Finally, is this only a RS issue or has it been happening to the RTs as well? If it has not happened to the RTs, ask yourselves, "what is DIFFERENT between them that may be causing it" and start looking there!

Sorry but with over 20-years in aviation myself and the fact BRP is involved in aviation should mean they are more than knowledgeable in how to handle this issue.

HOW WOULD BOMBARDIER (BRP) HANDLE THIS IF IT WERE ONE OF THEIR AIRPLANES FLEET MODELS THAT SUDDENLY CAUGHT FIRE?

Why should we expect them to handle this product ANY differently? And people wonder why lawyers & juries get involved!!!

Smylinacha
09-27-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't blame you for being upset - I would be too! I hope you get this all straightened out. No fun plunking down good money for some enjoyment and all you get is problems and then the roundaround.

Firefly
09-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Your insurance company may go after BRP for some of the $$$ if they do some research and feel BRP is at fault--- but does it really matter to the end user where the $$$ come from? Let BRP and your insurance figure it out.

Insurance will even pay if you did something stupid and set it on fire yourself-- that is why we have it.

I have actual replacement coverage of my Spyder and all the mods---something you might want to take a look into for the new one.

Sorry for your loss.... hope you're back on the road soon!

mc2276
10-05-2010, 12:30 PM
OK.. now I am getting pissed at the dealership. :cus: They got all the parts this weekend. When will they get to it, "Maybe next week". :gaah: Really, they have had it since August and they "might" get to it next week? Anybody else on the NC coast know another dealer they would recommend?

SpyderWolf
10-05-2010, 09:11 PM
OK.. now I am getting pissed at the dealership. :cus: They got all the parts this weekend. When will they get to it, "Maybe next week". :gaah: Really, they have had it since August and they "might" get to it next week? Anybody else on the NC coast know another dealer they would recommend?

That truly sucks, and sorry I can't help you with another dealer. :(

boborgera
10-07-2010, 08:50 PM
I don't know if this applies here; Garmin is Recalling Portable GPS
The batteries could over heat, And could result in a fire.
796,000 could be involved.
Just wondering did any Spyders that caught on fire have one of these GPS installed ??

Firefly
10-07-2010, 08:57 PM
I don't know if this applies here; Garmin is Recalling Portable GPS
The batteries could over heat, And could result in a fire.
796,000 could be involved.
Just wondering did any Spyders that caught on fire have one of these GPS installed ??

Doubtful they had them mounted near the gas tank and the evap canister....... :roflblack:

Seriously though--- highly doubtful that has any connection to the unfortunate spyder fires....

mc2276
10-26-2010, 07:16 AM
Well.... Hopefully this week I will be back on the road. :pray: The emergency brake cable should be in today. Then all it needs is the state inspection and a road test. Then I have to worry about the registration.

Neez
10-26-2010, 12:15 PM
With regard to this fire issue, I consider the Dzus fasteners I have installed to be a safety modification. Especially those 4 on the right side, black, "Can-Am" panel. Why? Because it takes me only seconds to remove the panel and check the condition of the the clamps and hoses. If a person has to fiddle with those Torx screws, he will be more likely to think, "Oh well, maybe next time." Just human nature.

Firefly
10-26-2010, 01:49 PM
With regard to this fire issue, I consider the Dzus fasteners I have installed to be a safety modification. Especially those 4 on the right side, black, "Can-Am" panel. Why? Because it takes me only seconds to remove the panel and check the condition of the the clamps and hoses. If a person has to fiddle with those Torx screws, he will be more likely to think, "Oh well, maybe next time." Just human nature.

Interesting point-- it certainly does make it easier to access for inspection--- and would make it easier to remove in case of a fire (if you wanted to try and put it out).

Some Guy
10-26-2010, 02:46 PM

:agree:

I have them on my Spyder as well, though I never really thought about the safety side. I just did it because I'm lazy! :D

wukka
10-26-2010, 02:53 PM
With regard to this fire issue, I consider the Dzus fasteners I have installed to be a safety modification. Especially those 4 on the right side, black, "Can-Am" panel. Why? Because it takes me only seconds to remove the panel and check the condition of the the clamps and hoses.

...and they look really cool, too. :2thumbs:

Sny
10-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Dzus D-Rings (http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=55)

These? Is 12mm long enough (says 5.4mm of bodywork)

Neez
10-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Dzus D-Rings (http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=55)

These? Is 12mm long enough (says 5.4mm of bodywork)You are at the right site, but you need to order the 14mm long Dzus.

Sny
10-26-2010, 05:47 PM
perfect! thanks :)

vt228
10-26-2010, 06:59 PM
I checked my line and it was lose to I tightened all hoses and checked all clamps any dry lines I changed then out why didnt dealer find it on 6000 mile check up thanks all time to do a head to tail tighting on all have 11,000miles on her know

1spydercat1
10-26-2010, 11:32 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. I am just glad that you are alright! I hope everything works out for you. After everthing you have been through this should not have happened. You were smart in what you did. God be with with you and I hope the best to you.

1spydercat1
:spyder:

Well, we can add another Spyder to the fire list.:gaah: I just got back from a 7 month deployment to the Persian Gulf. I reinstated my insurance as it had been in storage for the past 7 months and went to pick it up. On the way home, my Spyder was sputtering a little. Did not think much about it, but grabbed some dry gas and fuel injector cleaner to put in the tank when I filled it next time.

On the way, I pulled into a car dealership to check out a car. As soon as I climbed off and stopped the bike, a ball of flame :shocked: shot out the right side and started to grow.

The sales personnel grabbed fire extinguishers and quickly put out the fire. Which is a good thing considering that I was parked right next to the 2011 Mustangs on the lot.

I called the insurance company. They will be by tomorrow to look at it. Not sure what to do now. Can someone help me out....please?

mc2276
11-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Finally got it back!!! :2thumbs: And it is running better than before. I love it. Now all I have to do is get the registration renewed. Thanks everyone!!

Only problem... they had to replace the speedometer.. So now i have 275 hours and 100 miles. Gonna be hard to get the 25k pin now. oh well

spyder3rdr
11-01-2010, 03:28 PM
:2thumbs: thats awesome Mattew , I know how you feel brother ... but being on the road again will wash away alot of bad feelings !!!

SpyderWolf
11-01-2010, 08:30 PM
:congrats: on finally getting it back, and on the fact it is running so well.

LDFIREWORKS
11-01-2010, 08:52 PM
WELCOME HOME GLAD YOU ARE OK THE :spyder2: CAN BE FIXED OR REPLACED:2thumbs: