PDA

View Full Version : SEAT: Corbin, Russell or Comfort Seat?

hevnbound
08-11-2010, 09:47 PM
:helpsmilie: ... Long trips with OEM seat is killing me. I modified it with Sargeants foam. A little better but - doesn't cut it! Don't want to fuss with a pad ... i.e. Airhawk, beads, sheepskin, etc.

I would appreciate your thoughts on an aftermarket seat.

If anyone has gone to the RT model or if for any other reason has one of the above seats for sell - hit me up ( hevnbound@gmail.com )

Thanks for your help/advice.

Sam

Dragonrider
08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I went straight for a Corbin - I've never seen a comfort saddle, so I can't comment on it.

This is my 4th Corbin on various bikes, and I've never regretted getting one.

Yes, I have had others, and some WAAAY more expensive - not better….

I also have a Bead Rider, which I put on & take off as needed, especially in hot weather.

SpyderGirl
08-11-2010, 10:24 PM
I've road tested the OEM, the Corbin, and the comfort seat.... the OEM is awful, the Corbin is NIIIIICCCEEE... and the comfort seat is also very good. If you're looking for a good seat that won't hit the checkbook too hard, go for the comfort seat.

wildbill6565
08-12-2010, 12:25 AM
To me the Corbin seat is one step above a rock and mine has about 13000 miles and the only thing broke-in is my butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I do weigh 285lbs!

pathfinderjoe
08-12-2010, 12:45 AM
After putting more than 2,000 miles on my Corbins I decided that they needed to be reshaped because both my wife and I were always sliding forward. Shipped them back to the factory and they reshaped them to accommodate our upright riding style at no cost. We just got back from a 3,000 mile tour with a couple of 400 mile days and we were comfortable all the way.

qasamm
08-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Corbin had the best "ass groove" for me and my riding posture. It was a nightmare dealing with Corbin but I am happy I now have the seat. My second choice was the factory comfort seat.

NancysToy
08-12-2010, 06:15 AM
You will get a lot of enthusiastic answers here, from anyone who likes their particular seat. Problem is, what works for one doesn't work for another. The stock seat suits me best, but the comfort seat makes my wife happy. I am extremely uncomfortable on a Corbin, yet many rave about how great they are. To me, the best bet for custom is a Russell, since they are made to fit the photos and measurements you send in, as well as any special requirements you specify. If you can, find some other Spyders, perhaps at a Spyder event, and ask to sit on a few. That should give you a small idea of how the various brands fit your caboose.

Capt John
08-12-2010, 06:34 AM
You will get a lot of enthusiastic answers here, from anyone who likes their particular seat. Problem is, what works for one doesn't work for another. The stock seat suits me best, but the comfort seat makes my wife happy. I am extremely uncomfortable on a Corbin, yet many rave about how great they are. To me, the best bet for custom is a Russell, since they are made to fit the photos and measurements you send in, as well as any special requirements you specify. If you can, find some other Spyders, perhaps at a Spyder event, and ask to sit on a few. That should give you a small idea of how the various brands fit your caboose.

:agree: I had the comfort seat. Set on a few Corbins....they just didn't fit my butt. Russell is building my seat this week. If you go with Russell? From start of the process to finish is kind of lengthy 4-6 weeks depending on how busy they are.

retread
08-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Russell, 10 - 12 hours ryding, no problem. Best seat I've ever had. They have a Group Buy usually around October, call them and check on it, you can save 20%.

john

j45p3r
08-12-2010, 08:10 AM
I have the comfort seat on mine and I'm pretty happy with it now. When I first got it last July I was 80 lbs heavier than I am now and I find that the more weight I lose the better the seat feels. I went on a 7hr ride last weekend and I only had minimal discomfort at the end of the day, last year on the same ride the last couple hours I was stopping every 20 mins because of the pain.

Roy's Bassets
08-12-2010, 08:11 AM
I had a Corbin, sold it on ebay, loss my butt. Wife kept siding froward, it's not made to ride to up, like riding on a slide. Went with the comfort seat, much better, I like the Russell, looks to have the passenger in mind, just waiting to seat on one before ordering. Just my 2 cents. 1SG:ohyea:

Jornie1
08-12-2010, 08:26 AM
I have had Russell & Corbin on previous BMW touring machines. With many 1000's of miles on both, IMHO, the Russell is far superior to the Corbin in the comfort department. Again, IMHO, the Corbin appearance is superior the the Russell... I'll take comfort over appearance any day. If your butt is angry, nothing looks good!! Kim & I are on our first long trip on our RT's... The jury is in session to determine how we like BRP OEM.... Len

Russell, 10 - 12 hours ryding, no problem. Best seat I've ever had. They have a Group Buy usually around October, call them and check on it, you can save 20%.

john

bone crusher
08-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Such a personal choice...each tush is different...with that being said, the comfort seat is the one for me...I'm not convinced spending so much more for others will lead to a noticeable difference in comfort...

FANG
08-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I have a Corbin and love it -- however I had no problem whatsoever from the stock seat. I liked the look and feel of the Corbin's I had sat on previously. I also like the fact that it is a separate seat for the passenger and ryder -- so passenger does not have to get off at a fuel stop unless they want too.

ARtraveler
08-12-2010, 10:43 AM
We have tested both the Corbin and the Comfort seats on our Spyders. They are both better than the stock seat. Wife has comfort seat on her 2009 RS and I put Corbins on both my 2008 RS and 2010 RTS. My personal liking is the Corbin seat---but I like a more firm seat/backrest combo for my riding. I have about 10K on the current Corbin and she has 10K on the comfort. They have been on several long trips and 400+ mile days. The comfort seat is definately softer than the Corbin. I am not familiar with the Russell so cannot comment on that one.

tajohn
08-12-2010, 10:52 AM
We went through the same process hoping that each seat was going to be the perfect one and the last ...not so ... for us the Russell seat is the one. Our bike is pictured on their website (they also did our back rest to match) sheer comfort in every way..............

dltang
08-12-2010, 12:08 PM
We both bought the Russell and have no regrets.

Dudley
08-12-2010, 12:27 PM
We have almost 40,000 miles on our Corbin seat. Kjen and I ride 2-up all the time. On our trip last summer we rode everyday for 7.5 weeks, some days 500 miles, but most were over 300, approaching 400. As for the passenger sliding, we went to the Corbin factory and had Kjen's seat built up higher and horizontal to the ground. She also places a square of non-skid shelf liner on her seat and sits on it. No sliding what-so-ever.

jnt
08-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Russell. Just my opinion, of course. Oh, and Laughing Heart's. Fabulous customer service. Built to fit and last!:2thumbs:

dryheat
08-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Russell is nice, had one on a prior Beemer... but very expensive and time consuming. For the Spyder, I went to a local upholstry shop who also does custom m/c seats. Shaped and recovered while I waited, and had me sit on it in various stages to fine tune. And cost less than 1/2 of a Russell.

rking02
08-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Hey Dryheat - found your post most interesting. We just got back from 1k trip around AZ - southeast - to east to back home (went thru Oro Valley on our way to Colossal Cave.) Stock seat is killing us !!! Would it be possible to get the contact in Oro Valley you used for your custom seat?? Would love to hookup with someone close by that can do a comfortable seat. :doorag:

bjt
08-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Put me down as one of the many pro Russell votes. In over 20,000 miles since putting the Russell on my Spyder, an aching butt has never been a reason for me to get off the Spyder or cut a ride short. That includes 2 consecutive 1,000 + mile days and dozens of 500 mile days. :2thumbs:

I got mine with the heavyweight (over 225 lbs.) suspension which I'm not sure is an option on other replacement saddles.

hevnbound
08-12-2010, 06:22 PM
T H A N K's everyone for the responses.

I think Russell may be the way for me to go. Should have mentioned in my original post that I do weigh 315# !!

Scotty's idea of waiting to try the seat out is excellent - since "Spyders In The Smokies" is so close, I think I will hang on 'till then.

CONGRATULATIONS to J45p3r for loosing 80 lbs!:2thumbs:

Jnt’s statement; “Oh, and Laughing Heart's” …. What am I missing here?
Kjen’s idea of putting a square of non-skid shelf liner on the Corbin seat is shear genius!!
Thanks again.
Sam

bjt
08-12-2010, 06:31 PM
T H A N K's everyone for the responses.

I think Russell may be the way for me to go. Should have mentioned in my original post that I do weigh 315# !!

Scotty's idea of waiting to try the seat out is excellent - since "Spyders In The Smokies" is so close, I think I will hang on 'till then.

Jnt’s statement; “Oh, and Laughing Heart's” …. What am I missing here?
Kjen’s idea of putting a square of non-skid shelf liner on the Corbin seat is shear genius!!
Thanks again.
Sam

If I can make the SpyderLovers BBQ, I encourage you to look me up and you can have a test sit on my Russell saddle. :thumbup:

bjt
08-12-2010, 06:37 PM
For those considering a Russell, they do require you to send in the stock seat and they install their foam and put a new cover on the stock seatpan. That process takes about 2 weeks from the day you ship it to them until they return to you. What we (and many others) did was to buy a used seat off of someone who was selling it, sent in the used seat for Russell to rebuild and then sold our stock seat.

j45p3r
08-12-2010, 07:38 PM

Thanks, from 360 to 280, still have 120 to go to hit my "ideal" weight range. At 5'8" I was/am quite overweight. :shocked:

MouthPiece
08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm hoping to make the BBQ as well. Hopefully I'll have my corbin saddle with passenger backrest AND arm rests. I too would extend an invitation to anyone if they'd like to sit on my RT-S to see how it feels.

Chris PE # 0004

Raptor
08-13-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm hoping to make the BBQ as well. Hopefully I'll have my corbin saddle with passenger backrest AND arm rests. I too would extend an invitation to anyone if they'd like to sit on my RT-S to see how it feels.

Chris PE # 0004

I'm sticking with the saddle that came with 14. I like it. Besides, with 14 and the monocowl it puts you more in a sport posture anyway, so for me the stock seat will do just fine. I hear very good things about the BRP comfort seat though, and I think they are more reasonable in price than the others. Some things though you don't want to skimp on , and the saddle is one of those things! Good luck in your search.

bone crusher
08-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I have a Corbin and love it -- however I had no problem whatsoever from the stock seat. I liked the look and feel of the Corbin's I had sat on previously. I also like the fact that it is a separate seat for the passenger and ryder -- so passenger does not have to get off at a fuel stop unless they want too.

I have to tease you on this one. If you have a Corbin and had no trouble with the stock, then you have a numb butt to begin with...there has to be a HUGE difference between the two or there'd be no reason to go with the high dollar and much better made Corbin...

NancysToy
08-13-2010, 01:34 PM
I have to tease you on this one. If you have a Corbin and had no trouble with the stock, then you have a numb butt to begin with...there has to be a HUGE difference between the two or there'd be no reason to go with the high dollar and much better made Corbin...
Not so! Depends on the anatomy of the user. I love the stock RS seat, only to be outdone by my RTS seat. Every Corbin I ever owned or sat on gave me instant pain...even Lamont's RTS. What is good for the goose does not always please the gander. Strong personal likes and dislikes aside, each owner must decide for himself or herself. Nothing fits everybody...and everything fits somebody.

Rando
08-13-2010, 01:45 PM
http://www.kontourseat.com/

Ducati GT 1000 Seat Comparison (BikeWorld.com)

Summary
As the driver, I rate these seats from best to worst as follows:

1. KonTour "Air Cooled" Seat
2. Ducati Comfort Seat
3. CorbinCanyon Dual Sport Seat
4. Ducati Stock Seat

My regular passenger rates the same seats, best to worst in this order:

1. KonTour "Air Cooled" Seat
2. CorbinCanyon Dual Sport Seat
3. Ducati Comfort Seat
4. Ducati Stock Seat

bone crusher
08-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Not so! Depends on the anatomy of the user. I love the stock RS seat, only to be outdone by my RTS seat. Every Corbin I ever owned or sat on gave me instant pain...even Lamont's RTS. What is good for the goose does not always please the gander. Strong personal likes and dislikes aside, each owner must decide for himself or herself. Nothing fits everybody...and everything fits somebody.

Scotty, my point was that the stock and corbin are very different and if someone feels they're the same, well, you get it..

I think everyone should be doing butt exercises to build up a rock-solid glut region...this way you have your own protection and comfort! :2thumbs:

NancysToy
08-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Scotty, my point was that the stock and corbin are very different and if someone feels they're the same, well, you get it..

I think everyone should be doing butt exercises to build up a rock-solid glut region...this way you have your own protection and comfort! :2thumbs:
:roflblack: You haven't seen my cushion. Rock hard it is...but all skeletal. I do exercises daily, but there ain't no meat! Like I said...it's in the genes. I need soft, others need firm, some need wide, I need narrow, some need a dish, and some need a barrel. You are right, they are different, but that doesn't necessarily make the expensive one better than another for some folks. Different isn't necessarily better!

Sny
08-13-2010, 04:38 PM
I need soft, others need firm, some need wide, I need narrow, some need a dish, and some need a barrel. You are right, they are different, but that doesn't necessarily make the expensive one better than another for some folks. Different isn't necessarily better!
You have a pretty good idea of what you need in a saddle. But what if you don't?

Can we characterize each of these seats using some of the terms you mentioned?

Hoping to make a FAQ outta this.

Feel free to debate or correct these:

GS/RS
Stock Barrel Narrow Firm Padding
Comfort Barrel Narrow Soft Padding
Corbin Flat/Dish Medium Firm Padding
Russell Dish Wide Heavy Padding, soft and firm (springs in the wings)
Kontour Barrel Medium Heavy padding, soft and firm

RTS
Stock Flat/dish Medium Soft padding
Corbin Flat/dish Medium Soft padding

Things to consider:

Dish seating forces you into a touring position which may not appeal to all riders.
Heavy padding does not necessarily mean it will support heavy weight. Only Kontours and Russell seats have "heavy suspension" as an option.

Lamonster
08-13-2010, 04:59 PM
I've had Corbin on every bike I've owned at one time or the other and they all are different to me. The Corbin I had on my Valkyrie was a killer, I wound up going back to stock. The Corbin on my Boss Hoss was a great seat and could do 750 miles days easy. The Corbin on my GS Spyder is great but not near as good as the Corbin on my RT. I can't tell you why that is but that's how it's worked out for me.

bikeguy
08-13-2010, 05:35 PM
One more thing to consider about seats and seating position. The relative positioning of the seat and the pegs/floorboards can make a tremendous amount of difference in comfort. One of the really good things about the RT is the ability to adjust the passenger boards. Raising and lowering the boards changes the weight distribution on the backside and can turn an uncomfortable ride into a very comfortable one. The dealer's demo we rode had the passenger boards all the way down and my wife thought the seat was just adequate. After we got home with our RT we adjusted the boards upward and now she says it is the most comfortable seat she's been on.

Cotton

katnapper
08-13-2010, 05:54 PM
I guess it boils down to what a Fellow SpYder Ryder said either you have a Corbin Butt or u don't.

My Corbin seat could b better.

bjt
08-13-2010, 05:59 PM
I guess it boils down to what a Fellow SpYder Ryder said either you have a Corbin Butt or u don't.

+1 Before getting the Russell, I sat on a Corbin and knew pretty quickly that it wasn't optimal for me.

C3517C
08-13-2010, 07:13 PM
My stock RS seat actually feels fine on my boo-tox. My problem is that I think it looks like a cheap plastic seat, and sort of throws off the whole look of the bike. I'll be switching to the comfort seat which I think looks pretty sharp. If it feels better also, I'll consider it a plus.

Capt John
08-13-2010, 07:37 PM
\
+1 Before getting the Russell, I sat on a Corbin and knew pretty quickly that it wasn't optimal for me.

:agree: I actually set on 3 different Corbins and like Scotty there is not very much too my caboose. When I gain weight it goes to the gut not the butt!:roflblack: Just got the call from Russell. My seat is ready and they were going to try and get it out today...the latest on Monday!

NancysToy
08-13-2010, 08:38 PM
My stock RS seat actually feels fine on my boo-tox. My problem is that I think it looks like a cheap plastic seat, and sort of throws off the whole look of the bike. I'll be switching to the comfort seat which I think looks pretty sharp. If it feels better also, I'll consider it a plus.
If you like the seat, but not the looks, consider the BRP seat covers. They look pretty sharp.

NancysToy
08-13-2010, 08:48 PM
You have a pretty good idea of what you need in a saddle. But what if you don't?

Can we characterize each of these seats using some of the terms you mentioned?

Hoping to make a FAQ outta this.

Feel free to debate or correct these:

GS/RS
Stock Barrel Narrow Front/Narrow Rear Soft, Thin Padding
Comfort Flat/Dish Medium Front/Medium Rear Medium Soft Padding
Corbin Flat/Dish Medium Front/Medium Rear Firm Padding
Russell Dish Medium Front*/Wide Rear Heavy Padding, soft and firm (springs in the wings)
Kontour Barrel Medium Heavy padding, soft and firm
* Can be customized to suit

RTS
Stock Flat/dish Medium Front/Medium Rear Soft Padding
Corbin Flat/dish Wider Front/Wider Rear Medium Firm Padding

Things to consider:

Dish seating forces you into a touring position which may not appeal to all riders.
Heavy padding does not necessarily mean it will support heavy weight. Only Kontours and Russell seats have "heavy suspension" as an option.

I guess there are even far differing opinions about this. :roflblack: My assessment above. :D

Capt John
08-13-2010, 09:00 PM
If you are interested in a Russell saddle. They run a special starting in Oct, but to get 20% off you have to have a group of 50. I wanted me seat before SITS. So I paid full price for my options.

dltang
08-13-2010, 10:40 PM
If you are interested in a Russell saddle. They run a special starting in Oct, but to get 20% off you have to have a group of 50. I wanted me seat before SITS. So I paid full price for my options.

Actually, you don't have to have your own group of 50 they just have to have at least 50 order during the group rate time for group pricing. That is what is so great.

bone crusher
08-13-2010, 11:12 PM
:roflblack: You haven't seen my cushion. Rock hard it is...but all skeletal. I do exercises daily, but there ain't no meat! Like I said...it's in the genes. I need soft, others need firm, some need wide, I need narrow, some need a dish, and some need a barrel. You are right, they are different, but that doesn't necessarily make the expensive one better than another for some folks. Different isn't necessarily better!

Okay Scotty..off to the plastic surgeon you go...forget spending thousands for a Corbin or Russell, you have to spend that money to get some butt padding! :D

NancysToy
08-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Okay Scotty..off to the plastic surgeon you go...forget spending thousands for a Corbin or Russell, you have to spend that money to get some butt padding! :D
Should I get gel or sheepskin? :roflblack: