PDA

View Full Version : 4 Cyclelists Killed

Big Arm
08-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Four motorcyclelists were killed last evening, on I-29, 55 miles south of Sioux City, IA, and 45 miles north of Omaha, NE.
The four were returning home from Sturgis, S.D.
Prayers to these men and their families. :pray:

http://www.ktiv.com/global/story.asp?s=12955952

M2Wild
08-10-2010, 02:41 PM
How the eff does one cross the center line on an interstate??? Even if its in a const. zone.:dontknow: Very sad.

Raptor
08-10-2010, 02:48 PM
How the eff does one cross the center line on an interstate??? Even if its in a const. zone.:dontknow:

Notice that they didn't really comment on that? I guess they can't with the Investigation still ongoing. One has to wonder if alchohol or drugs were involved, though I don't want to just jump to that conclusion. Still, you have to be pretty thick or just plain careless to do something like that. Tragic...

ARtraveler
08-10-2010, 03:00 PM
agree with Raptor above. Sounds and looks like drugs or alcohol.

Rando
08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
How the eff does one cross the center line on an interstate??? Even if its in a const. zone.:dontknow: Very sad.from the video: "authorities say alcohol may have been a factor in the crash"

bikeguy
08-10-2010, 06:04 PM
How the eff does one cross the center line on an interstate??? Even if its in a const. zone.:dontknow: Very sad.

A motorcyclist was killed within the last year or so on a 4-lane divided highway in San Angelo, Texas when a woman "overcorrected" and crossed the center median and caught the rider head-on. It wasn't on an interstate but the conditions were the same. Apparently, there's no need for drugs or alcohol to be involved. Just a lack of attention to cause the vehicle to drift off line and a driver without the skill required to bring it back on line without crashing it.

There's no lack of things to attract the driver's attention away from driving; food, drinks, radios, makeup, hair styling, and, of course, cell phones. Apparently, there is a huge lack of the skill required to control a vehicle.

Cotton

SpyderGirl
08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
RIP riders

SpyderRider
08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Always sad and senseless! I always try to use defensive/offensive driving both behind the wheel or the handlebars! While going down the road I try to be looking out ahead at least 5 - 6 cars forward and constantly checking rear.

I salute those brothers or sisters killed! :doorag:

SpyderWolf
08-10-2010, 07:51 PM
This is very tragic. Prayers are going out to the families of the fallen riders. :pray:

Remember to ryde like they are out to kill you, because many of them may truly be.

Blue Star
08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Truly sad news for the families of those riders. My prayers go out to them.

retread
08-10-2010, 09:20 PM
My prayers for the families. Wondering if possibly the pickup driver fell asleep. Some of the worst accidents I've read about were caused by lack of sleep.

john

Firefly
08-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Very sad indeed. They also had 3 killed here in Sturgis area--- 2 men and 1 woman--- separate accidents I think--- all due to rear tire wobble or blowouts.

Amanda B
08-10-2010, 09:33 PM
That is sad. An 18 year old girl was on the back of a bike in my area yesterday and the car behind them ran into them throwing both of the girls 20 feet. The passenger didn't have a helmet and she passed away. The teenager in the car looked down and then back up and didn't have time to stop. They are trying to determine if he was texting.

Raptor
08-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Sure makes you put things in perspective. I was out riding today and got into zero visibility fog. Consequently, a driver in the other lane crossed the line. I was cheated to the right though so no big deal, but sure could have been.

Being defensive and trying to control what you can control sure doesn't hurt, especially in this case. When it was over I thought about this thread. RIP Riders, God bless the families.

biker1
08-11-2010, 04:55 AM
Sounds like a really bad accident. How was the guy doing any kind of speed in a construction zone, thought there was restrictions. Would never get on any bike without a helmet and I am glad its the law over here, cause if you come off then you got no protection.
All the best to all concerned from the other side of the Atlantic.

docdoru
08-11-2010, 06:30 AM
My sincerest condolences to the families and friends...

McGone
08-11-2010, 08:02 AM
It may not have been drugs or alcohol. The ride across South Dakota can be very warn and monotous so it may have been that they were not at their most alert state. I did the I90 from Sturgis and I29 to Sioux City Friday and it is over 500 miles, so if they had not rested it is very dangerous.

Rando
08-11-2010, 08:39 AM
It may not have been drugs or alcohol. The ride across South Dakota can be very warn and monotous so it may have been that they were not at their most alert state."Three men from Iowa and one from Nebraska were killed Monday evening when a pickup crossed the center line in a construction zone and collided with their motorcycles."

Lamonster
08-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Death toll is at 12 according to this article. It's very sad to think about all these folks going out there for a good time and coming home in a box.
http://douglinator.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/sturgis-death-toll-escalates/

Last year we loss Bruce Rothmeyer. (http://www.brucerossmeyer.com/t-brucerossmeyer.aspx)

DynamoBT
08-11-2010, 09:56 AM
No way to get around the fact that it's just tragic loss of life. Condolences to family and friends of all the riders.

ntxYguy2009
08-11-2010, 09:58 AM
:pray:

David

SpyderFun
08-11-2010, 12:13 PM
My best and heart felt sympathy to the families involved.

That being said, I would NEVER want to be the driver and have to live knowing what I had done to them and their family as well as their friends.

I've loss alot of good friends over the years and most never seem to make any sense. I guess for me I have accepted that if God wants you home, then NOTHING on earth will prevent it from happening.

May those of us who are still here try to learn from this and make something positive out of it (ie: make sure life insurance polices are up to date with premiums paid and have a living will!).

moabgirl
08-11-2010, 01:37 PM
We all take an informed risk when we choose to get out there on our Spyders. I think I can speak for both Phil and myself when I say we are better drivers as a result of our Spyder experiences. I'm more aware of bikes and find myself generally driving more carefully. Our motorcycle safety course reinforced lessons I have implemented all my life; however, the course also reminded me of how important it is to give one's full attention when driving.

My one HUGE pet peeve is those drivers who are distracted and using their cell phones while driving. If a call is that important, please pull over safely! I've <bleeped> out more than one driver in a car, while on my bike, because they are yakking on their phone. Stop the insanity!

Blessings to all who ryde!

canam9
08-11-2010, 01:38 PM
RIP :ani29:

SpyderGirl
08-11-2010, 01:57 PM
We all take an informed risk when we choose to get out there on our Spyders. I think I can speak for both Phil and myself when I say we are better drivers as a result of our Spyder experiences. I'm more aware of bikes and find myself generally driving more carefully. Our motorcycle safety course reinforced lessons I have implemented all my life; however, the course also reminded me of how important it is to give one's full attention when driving.

My one HUGE pet peeve is those drivers who are distracted and using their cell phones while driving. If a call is that important, please pull over safely! I've <bleeped> out more than one driver in a car, while on my bike, because they are yakking on their phone. Stop the insanity!

Blessings to all who ryde!

:agree:

I am also a much more attentive driver since becoming a rider. Of course now I don't even drive a car anymore, but it's all the same. We have a hands-free / no texting law in California and I get so mad when I see those people just tapping or yapping away on their Blackberries, iPhones, or whatever... especially when I see they obviously can't handle walking and chewing gum at the same time.

If you are in a car... DRIVE... don't talk, text, eat, brush your hair, do your make-up, read a newspaper, etc, etc.... it's your car... not your bathroom, office, living room.... *gets off of soapbox*

RIP riders :pray:

YPILOT
08-11-2010, 04:49 PM
This hits close to home for me. I had a friend lose control in rain conditions on Friday morning on the way to Sturgis. He was killed in Crossville, TN just a few hours after leaving home. The memorial service was held on Monday evening. There was a lot of love and shared memories for a proud Fellow American. :pray: for all of the families who lost their loved ones on the road.

Death toll is at 12 according to this article. It's very sad to think about all these folks going out there for a good time and coming home in a box.
http://douglinator.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/sturgis-death-toll-escalates/

Last year we loss Bruce Rothmeyer. (http://www.brucerossmeyer.com/t-brucerossmeyer.aspx)

SpyderWolf
08-12-2010, 05:38 AM
This hits close to home for me. I had a friend lose control in rain conditions on Friday morning on the way to Sturgis. He was killed in Crossville, TN just a few hours after leaving home. The memorial service was held on Monday evening. There was a lot of love and shared memories for a proud Fellow American. :pray: for all of the families who lost their loved ones on the road.

Very sorry to hear this as well. My prayers for, and condolences to, all of his family and friends as well, to include you for sure. :pray:

Blue Star
08-12-2010, 06:10 PM
I was sent this email today, but since I use Firefox I can't open the full story. Very sad news.

"Tragedy Hits PGR - 4 Riders Die in Iowa

Four friends and fellow Patriot Guard Riders were killed by a drunk driver who crossed the center divider in a construction zone they were transiting. The accident happened near Glenwood, Iowa (where three were from and the forth was from nearby Omaha) All four were retuning from Sturgis and all four were also members of the same American Legion Riders post in that area. For the story and more details follow the two news links below.................
"WARNING - For some reason of which we're not sure why, these links freeze in Firefox. It's a problem with the news station's website not google groups. You'll have to use the links in Internet Explorer browser instead.

http://www.ketv.com/news/24570969/detail.html ..............................the 1st news clip.
http://www.ketv.com/news/24591156/detail.html?treets=oma ..............2nd follow-up news clip."

krb1945
08-12-2010, 06:18 PM
"Rest in Peace" fellow riders... I am forwarding prayers to your families and I will say prayers for you. So sad... this is happening all too often.

Please ride 'em safely... Ken and family krb1945

Motza
08-15-2010, 10:27 PM
:pray: Amen

pitbull
08-17-2010, 03:10 PM
There was several accidents out there! considering the amount of people all on the road it was low numbers> I witnessed a semi crossing the media in the middle of the day and clipping a truck pulling an RV....the pickup flipped on it side. I shut my bike down and ran to the truck and older man and woman were inside but fine...helped them out and then went to the semi......beyond bad A grandpa pinned inthe wreckage, a gramma crushed from the wreck two little girls thrown out and minnor scraps and scrathes abou 8 10 or so and one little boy that did not make it about 5 or 6.....it was .....words can not describe...... A piece of you is forever changed when you look into thos cry hurt eyes, and asking where is my brother and you can not say but just hold them and cry with them.....

Raptor
08-17-2010, 03:29 PM
:agree:

I am also a much more attentive driver since becoming a rider. Of course now I don't even drive a car anymore, but it's all the same. We have a hands-free / no texting law in California and I get so mad when I see those people just tapping or yapping away on their Blackberries, iPhones, or whatever... especially when I see they obviously can't handle walking and chewing gum at the same time.

If you are in a car... DRIVE... don't talk, text, eat, brush your hair, do your make-up, read a newspaper, etc, etc.... it's your car... not your bathroom, office, living room.... *gets off of soapbox*

RIP riders :pray:

Man you aint kiddin. This morning, which was not a real nice morning weather-wise around here, this foolish woman in a great big SUV she could barely control to begin with was trying to use her cell, fumbling around in her purse and and darted into the commute lane (with no passenger BTW) without even looking. But I could already see what was happening and had backed way off. She did almost hit someone. I waited for a hole and blew by that scene. I assess and plan about 3-4 moves ahead at least, including bail-out paths. I just don't understand where their mind is at man...

SpyderGirl
08-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Man you aint kiddin. This morning, which was not a real nice morning weather-wise around here, this foolish woman in a great big SUV she could barely control to begin with was trying to use her cell, fumbling around in her purse and and darted into the commute lane (with no passenger BTW) without even looking. But I could already see what was happening and had backed way off. She did almost hit someone. I waited for a hole and blew by that scene. I assess and plan about 3-4 moves ahead at least, including bail-out paths. I just don't understand where their mind is at man...

That's exactly what I am talking about, and it happens too much.

I am the same way, I plan several moves ahead and leave myself exit points in case I need to get away.

bjt
08-17-2010, 04:43 PM

That's exactly what I am talking about, and it happens too much.

I am the same way, I plan several moves ahead and leave myself exit points in case I need to get away.

+2

M2Wild
08-18-2010, 07:03 AM
It seems the bigger the vehicle they got the more they think they can push the smaller cars around. And m/c and Spyders are smaller than any cars out there.