PDA

View Full Version : Extra Keys

Bozzzz
08-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Anyone know where to get an extra key for the Spyder. Dealers charge too much.

katnapper
08-10-2010, 01:04 PM
My understand is that only a dealer can program one, I know our lock smith dosen't have the blanks. Even without the chip.:dontknow:

3whlLefty
08-10-2010, 01:09 PM
I think it's probably a dealer only item. It will also need to be programmed and you need to have all your keys at hand for the reprogramming because they will all be given the new coding. A bit of a hassle.

When I bought my extra key, the dealer sold me the blank but could not cut it. I had to go the a key shop to get it cut and then return to the dealer for the re-programming. The lesson is to buy all the extras you want at one time. :gaah:

frank3
08-10-2010, 01:16 PM
You can purchase the unprogramed key from your dealer and there is a procedure in the owners manual for programimg it. If cutting is required, any good key shop can help you out and my local key shop even knows the program procedure. Requires a key that is already programed. Hope that helps.

grnbear
08-10-2010, 02:21 PM
I checked the operators manual and could find nothing about being able to program the key yourself. If you are able to post the procedures here that would be great as I need a extra key and don't want to pay the ridiculous prices the dealers want to program it.

grnbear
08-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Found the procedure in the shop manual, but it requires a master key for reprogramming. I am pretty sure that the only people that have a master key are the dealers, so you are stuck paying them to do it.:gaah:

M2Wild
08-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Your original keys are the master keys. If you lost both then you are SOLed. So be sure to always have a spare to copy from. Once copied, the copy becomes the master as well.

Desert Spyder
08-10-2010, 02:52 PM
A blank key will cost about $40. Cutting the key about $5+ (Home Depot & Lowes COULD NOT do the job 2 years ago because they did not have the right die and did not want to do it with the chip inside, I had to have a mobile locksmith do the job at the dealer). Programming the key cost $40. An expensive mistake for losing the key 2 weeks after buying the bike. My wife carries the extra key in her purse when we rYde together.

grnbear
08-10-2010, 03:37 PM
acccording to the shop manual the master key is a red colored, intentionally uncut key. It also list a specific part number for the master key. If you haved tried programming a new key with one of the keys you got with the Spyder please post those procedures. Looking at the shop manual procedures I don't see any way it can be done without the specific master key.

Dudley
08-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Anyone know where to get an extra key for the Spyder. Dealers charge too much.

Do you have an RT or RS? I have a 2008 SE5 and received 2 keys at purchase. Both are cut and programmed. Do you need an extra key because you only got one when you took possession?

Texmac1011
08-10-2010, 06:38 PM
My spare key cost $60 at my dealer.

Questions
08-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Spare key was less than $30 from dealer and he reprogrammed all my keys for free. You guys must have some really crappy dealers if the charge you for something that takes less than 2 minutes.

SpyderAnn01
08-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I bought my RT used and the seller claimed to have only received one key when he bought it he also didn't give me the cylinder for the trailer lock. Today I was at my dealer getting my trailer hitch installed and I inquired about extra keys and a new lock for the trailer. Bottom line is about $150 plus programming. This would give me a trailer lock and two keys programmed alike. Sounds really high to me.

canam9
08-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I think it's probably a dealer only item. It will also need to be programmed and you need to have all your keys at hand for the reprogramming because they will all be given the new coding. A bit of a hassle.

When I bought my extra key, the dealer sold me the blank but could not cut it. I had to go the a key shop to get it cut and then return to the dealer for the re-programming. The lesson is to buy all the extras you want at one time. :gaah:
:agree: No big deal. Good to have. :ani29: